Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rageaholic posted:

It was directed by "Adil & Bilall" and I guess this is their US theatrical debut. I wouldn't mind seeing more from them.

They were also going to direct Beverly Hills Cop 4 which was supposed to start filming back in 2017 but it's been in development hell for a while, but Netflix just bought the rights a few months ago so it looks like it's back on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Bad Boys for Life was...actually pretty fun? Like I was expecting it to be inferior to the first 2 but it somehow managed to be as entertaining as them. Turns out this one didn't need Michael Bay directing to make it crazy after all.

It was directed by "Adil & Bilall" and I guess this is their US theatrical debut. I wouldn't mind seeing more from them.

The directors created a series called Snowfall on FX. It's about a 1980s LA coke dealer family and also the CIA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1224455537250594816?s=20

quote:

Gibson stars as a rowdy, unorthodox Santa Claus who is fighting his business decline. Meanwhile, a neglected and precocious 12-year old decides to hire a hitman to kill Santa after receiving a lump of coal in his stocking.
Will this be this season's The Beaver?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

this one's iffy but

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1224415316178096133?s=20

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jesus, who in their right mind would think that franchise has any potential? Do they think the stream of DTV-level sequels over the decades kept the first movie fresh in people's minds? I got a movie about a big St. Bernard they might want to reboot/remake next.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The MSJ posted:

The directors created a series called Snowfall on FX. It's about a 1980s LA coke dealer family and also the CIA.

Arrested Development is getting a prequel?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

I got a movie about a big St. Bernard they might want to reboot/remake next.

The time is right, there's a live action Clifford The Big Red Dog movie coming out later this year (featuring John Cleese, Kenan Thompson, and Rosie Perez) so big dog IPs are hot right now!!

Edit: the motion capture/stand in puppet they're using on the set is hilariously ghastly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/comingsoonnet/status/1224433248736088064?s=20

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The time is right, there's a live action Clifford The Big Red Dog movie coming out later this year (featuring John Cleese, Kenan Thompson, and Rosie Perez) so big dog IPs are hot right now!!

Edit: the motion capture/stand in puppet they're using on the set is hilariously ghastly

Heilung is really hot right now

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think PBS still airs Clifford, so it's not exactly forgotten.

I miss the Honey I Shrunk The Kids TV show which I remembered as being quite insane. One episode had Wayne and his family travelling back in time to the Old West for a vacation and end up helping a friendly alien who eats with his butt. Another episode had them discovering a huge asteroid that is heading for Earth and when they teleported to its surface, they discover a community of humans who based their culture on Star Wars and is under attack by a giant spider. Also I remember them making the mom in the TV series hotter than in the movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Regardless of the Clifford show still airing, every Kindergarten classroom in the country probably has at least one of the books. And it's not like parents don't buy the same books they were read as kids. And libraries are chock full of 'em for storytime. So I don't think there's any concern about it not being a known property for kids.

Also, a new Honey I Shrunk the Kids show could be really cool if they lean into the 50s b-movie tone. The original was a riff on The Incredible Shrinking Man and Attack of the Puppet People but for kids. Keeping the same level of camp but having solid CG effects could end up resulting in a pretty cool show—as long as they actually explore the micro world rather than just use it as a setting or plot device like Ant-Man. Plus, macro photography has gotten so much more prevalent in the interim that you could have some truly gruesome looking bugs and such. And at this point with Moranis getting up there in years, you've gotta call it Honey I Shrunk the Grandkids, right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Downsizing was such an interesting premise to me but from what I hear it kinda sucked?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Downsizing is a funny critique of capitalism but if all you're looking for is jokes about things being small it won't deliver.

Personally, I love it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Regardless of the Clifford show still airing, every Kindergarten classroom in the country probably has at least one of the books. And it's not like parents don't buy the same books they were read as kids. And libraries are chock full of 'em for storytime. So I don't think there's any concern about it not being a known property for kids.

Yeah it should be an easy sell but for some reason the project just kept stalling. Universal originally greenlit it back in 2012 but kept moving the release date back and eventually went cold on it and let the licence lapse, so Paramount bought the rights in 2016 and went through a bunch of rewrites over several years until they finally settled on something.

Edit: on a hunch I went and checked if there were any new Lassie films in the works and it turns out there's a remake of Lassie Come Home hitting cinemas later this month, but it's only being released in Germany
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10384944/

Benji got a 2018 remake via Blumhouse/Netflix, Lady And The Tramp got a live action remake last year, Scooby Doo is getting a big screen reboot in a few months.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 4, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It can be the same continuity Kathy, just get an actor who can still move fast

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

finally, a new generation rises to take up the mantle of shrinking their children

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hollywood has dog fever with the success of such movies as A Dog's Purpose, A Dog's Journey, and A Dog's Way Home, lets get some killer dog movies in there, why not reboot Man's Best Friend?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A Dog's Hunger, For Death.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Hollywood has dog fever with the success of such movies as A Dog's Purpose, A Dog's Journey, and A Dog's Way Home, lets get some killer dog movies in there, why not reboot Man's Best Friend?

Hollywood: "we wanted a method acting dog so the audience could feel something real. But he was not a bad dog, no matter what we did he was never a bad dog. He was a good boy. We put down a good boy"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Scooby Doo is getting a big screen reboot in a few months.

Isn't that the one that's already pissing everyone off because they decided to recast all the voices for some reason? Matthew Lillard has been Shaggy for twenty years now across films, shows, games, etc and he's been excellent.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alan Smithee posted:

Downsizing was such an interesting premise to me but from what I hear it kinda sucked?

it's got a lot of charm but doesn't quite nail it all. I still think it's a very fun movie when it's exploring the little people world and doing gags with that (and how much of a sad sack matt damon is).

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ah yes the beloved "honey I X'd the Y" franchise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It might be kind of nice for Moranis to be in something for the first time in nearly 20 years.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Boy I hope someone told Moranis first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Downsizing is a funny critique of capitalism but if all you're looking for is jokes about things being small it won't deliver.

Personally, I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umgUDUxHKfY

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I miss the Honey I Shrunk The Kids TV show which I remembered as being quite insane. One episode had Wayne and his family travelling back in time to the Old West for a vacation and end up helping a friendly alien who eats with his butt. Another episode had them discovering a huge asteroid that is heading for Earth and when they teleported to its surface, they discover a community of humans who based their culture on Star Wars and is under attack by a giant spider. Also I remember them making the mom in the TV series hotter than in the movie.

That’s funny because I always thought the mom in the movies was way too hot for Wayne. I had no idea the actress passed away in 2014 from breast cancer. :smith:

If Disney does bring back that franchise, I hope Stuart Gordon gets a huge payday from it. I love the fact that the guy who made Re-Animator and From Beyond also made Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The proposed plot of the new Honey I film allegedly is:

quote:

Aware that the family ties have loosened over time but seemingly afraid to confront anyone directly. He has been tinkering alone in his attic for decades, dealing with the grief of losing his wife. When we first meet him, he has accidentally shrunk himself and is flying around on a shrunken drone — seemingly lost in a continuous of tinkering and experimenting that often puts himself and his family in jeopardy. He later reveals he shut himself away to try and invent a solution to help shrink Diane’s cancer but found it hard to cope when he ran out of time. His guilt and shame is palpable. Through the crisis of the kids getting shrunk, the truth emerges and the bonds begin to redevelop between him and his kids.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/03/exclusive-disney-may-bring-rick-moranis-out-of-retirement-for-honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-reboot-shrunk/

I remember the tv show, it was on at a weird time but it was crazy from the few episodes I saw

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The whole reason Rick Moranis basically retired is because his wife died of cancer and he decided to focus on raising their children. This is particularly ghoulish.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The whole reason Rick Moranis basically retired is because his wife died of cancer and he decided to focus on raising their children. This is particularly ghoulish.

OTOH Marcia Strassman, who played Diane in the original films also died of breast cancer six years ago. So they really can't win in this case.

Might as well reboot/remake at this point.

EDIT: Also if Diane is dead then how does the title "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" make any SENSE?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 4, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

His kids are in their late 20s at the youngest. It's not like they're bullying him to run off and make a movie during their formative years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

His kids are in their late 20s at the youngest. It's not like they're bullying him to run off and make a movie during their formative years.

They probably mean the "wife died of cancer" part of the summary.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Casimir Radon posted:

muscles like this! posted:

Exactly, and that his kids haven't seen him in years because he drove himself crazy trying to cure it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The MSJ posted:

I remember this episode because the solution to save the Earth without destroying the asteroid was to shrink the Earth until it passed by.

There was also an episode with a murderous AI teddy bear.

EDIT: Oh my god these episode summaries on Wikipedia

quote:

Wayne's invention succeeds in finding gold - a pot of doubloons claimed by a leprechaun, who puts a curse on the Szalinskis until they hand it over.

quote:

Diane is very nervous about her case against a tough lawyer so Wayne invents a thinky ring to help her retrieve her thoughts better. Unfortunately, she becomes a brain sucking vampire. Wayne finds out and goes after her to lure her home. Nick manages to get the ring off but this turns him into a brain sucking vampire. Diane figures things out and plots to fight Nick and get the ring off before he takes over the world.

quote:

Wayne turns Amy's bicycle into a super speed mountain bike. Amy goes on a bike ride through the woods, crashes, twists her ankle and finds refuge in a cave. Amy meets Bigfoot and she names him George after Curious George. He saves her and takes Amy to her house. Now the family must get him back along with his wife, a Yeti.

I would think this whole page was a joke if I hadn’t watched the show as a kid.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 4, 2020

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tars Tarkas posted:

The proposed plot of the new Honey I film allegedly is:

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/02/03/exclusive-disney-may-bring-rick-moranis-out-of-retirement-for-honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-reboot-shrunk/

I remember the tv show, it was on at a weird time but it was crazy from the few episodes I saw

I'm laughing already!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Oh...I missed that that's the alleged plot.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Rageaholic posted:

Bad Boys for Life was...actually pretty fun? Like I was expecting it to be inferior to the first 2 but it somehow managed to be as entertaining as them. Turns out this one didn't need Michael Bay directing to make it crazy after all.

Also:

Yeah I really enjoyed it.

Bad Boys 2 is one of my favorite action films ever so I went in with pretty high expectations and was pleasantly satisfied.

I dont think its anywhere even close to the sheer brilliant insane spectacle of 2, but I was laughing throughout, was engaged and had a great time which is all you can really ask from a Bad Boys movie.

Plus the return of Reggie almost immediately put the movie in good graces with me. The call backs to 1 and 2 were perfect in general and the death of the captain also hit me pretty hard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Setting up the diablo son as a KYLo ren type was bullshit though mostly because I hate the forced redemption arc of it all

Martin calling it some telenovela poo poo was spot on though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RatHat posted:

I remember this episode because the solution to save the Earth without destroying the asteroid was to shrink the Earth until it passed by.

There was also an episode with a murderous AI teddy bear.

EDIT: Oh my god these episode summaries on Wikipedia

I would think this whole page was a joke if I hadn’t watched the show as a kid.

:stare:

This reads like some ZACK Parsons front page article

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Isn't that the one that's already pissing everyone off because they decided to recast all the voices for some reason? Matthew Lillard has been Shaggy for twenty years now across films, shows, games, etc and he's been excellent.

Jesus Christ I am that old now

gently caress

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I’m not alone in thinking Bad Boys for Life was just Gemini Man but good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VoodooXT posted:

I’m not alone in thinking Bad Boys for Life was just Gemini Man but good, right?
No, I thought the same thing after the reveal hahaha