Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the ASA digital iron curtain is still up around Freeland so the rest of Earth Prime doesn't even know anything is happening there outside of a weird SARS outbreak that doesn't seem to be ending.

Except that a bunch of people have gotten out and also Black Lightning has just been hanging out with award-winning investigative journalist Kara Danvers. It was already stretching credibility that the situation was still being kept secret, now it's absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Jefferson going all “What are your intentions with my daughter?” :allears:

The Pierce family is the best. ...Except Lynn, she needs to shape the gently caress up like yesterday.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Odell's from Gotham. Maybe if he doesn't die this season he can move back and terrorize the Kane family next season on Batwoman.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Giving normal people powers like this never ends well Lynn.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

howe_sam posted:

Giving normal people powers like this never ends well Lynn.

Dr. Lynn Stewart, PhD in Bad Decisions :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

She made a good decision in not trusting Tobias at least.

I was hoping every member of the Pierce family was going to infiltrate the ASA in a different way and they'd all run into each other and wacky hijinks would ensue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am impressed with the writing for Jen by not dragging out some CW drama stuff and just coming clean to her dad. Also Odell still needs to die :v:

I am really liking Brendan. "Do I get a suit?" "What will my name be?" I hope he doesn't die / get sidelined for Khalil

LaLa and Lady Eve are back :neckbeard:

nine-gear crow posted:

Dr. Lynn Stewart, PhD in Bad Decisions :v:

Hey, she was totally ready for the completed expected double cross by Tobias. I'll give her points for that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am impressed with the writing for Jen by not dragging out some CW drama stuff and just coming clean to her dad. Also Odell still needs to die :v:

I am really liking Brendan. "Do I get a suit?" "What will my name be?" I hope he doesn't die / get sidelined for Khalil

Hey, she was totally ready for the completed expected double cross by Tobias. I'll give her points for that.

Yeah, that was really great. Her no selling Tobais's punch was rad as hell. Her plan actually would have worked flawlessly if not for the Markovian blindside.

Glad to see we're finly getting a whole family team up from the Pierces next week. Its been a long time coming since the showdown at the Season 1 hinted at what they could be working together.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just made me wish all the ASA/Markovia stuff wasn't happening and they were the main bad guys. This show could actually be good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Oh hey, Odell's from Gotham. Maybe if he doesn't die this season he can move back and terrorize the Kane family next season on Batwoman.

I think it'll be a hard sell to try and move over characters from BL to any of the other CW-verse shows without them being voice only like Gideon's actress in Legends. That said I could seem them having Odell become Mister Bones and just have him do VA work over a guy with a CG mask and gloves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it'll be a hard sell to try and move over characters from BL to any of the other CW-verse shows without them being voice only like Gideon's actress in Legends. That said I could seem them having Odell become Mister Bones and just have him do VA work over a guy with a CG mask and gloves.

I mean, Bill Duke seems like the kind of dude who'd say yes if they offered him another recurring slot on another Arrowverse show once his time on Black Lightning's up if they don't kill off Odell. So who knows. He's no stranger to filming stuff in Vancouver either.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Jen has been pretty dead-on about everything since her multiverse epiphany.

Yes, Odell should die for the atrocities he has committed.

Yes, she should have been allowed to use her powers more often to lessen her pain and suffering.

Yes, they should have told her about Khalil coming back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The segments putting the team together were pretty good, even if it's predictably "everyone on the show who has a name." I'm surprised LaLa isn't tagging along.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hey Jeff, you know who could probably help you out here instead of the ASA? Supergirl. But this show is still pretty much ignoring the fact that it now takes place in the same universe as the other DC CW shows, and anyway it's not time for a crossover, so I guess he's just got to conveniently forget about those other super heroes he met recently.

Dr Jace's vlog was great though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Hey Jeff, you know who could probably help you out here instead of the ASA? Supergirl. But this show is still pretty much ignoring the fact that it now takes place in the same universe as the other DC CW shows, and anyway it's not time for a crossover, so I guess he's just got to conveniently forget about those other super heroes he met recently.

That's literally Comic Books 101. The same reason Superman doesn't solve all of Batman's problems or Barry never solves Oliver's. How do you not continuously grasp that and accept that conceit of the setting despite continuing to watch this genre?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

That's literally Comic Books 101. The same reason Superman doesn't solve all of Batman's problems or Barry never solves Oliver's. How do you not continuously grasp that and accept that conceit of the setting despite continuing to watch this genre?
I'd just appreciate it if they'd at least come up with an excuse, because otherwise it just makes the characters look extremely dumb.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'd just appreciate it if they'd at least come up with an excuse, because otherwise it just makes the characters look extremely dumb.

Again, what part of "conceit of the setting" do you not understand?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Again, what part of "conceit of the setting" do you not understand?

I guess all of it, because I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

If Jeff called in the Superfriends it would amount to a VFX element and maybe some second unit footage filmed in Vancouver of Benoist talking to herself on a green screen. Atlanta and Vancouver are a drat long ways away. And besides, the show's been setting up Jen as one of the most powerful metas on the planet, so they don't really need help punching things anyway.

That being said, once they get Lyn back I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff set up a conference call with Star Labs to sort out the metahuman stabilization thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yay Khalil is back. No Jen, you can't touch him because he's basically poison.

I am expecting Khalil, Brendan, Grace or Jace to die in the Markovia assault. :rip:

Tiggum posted:

Dr Jace's vlog was great though.

"I created this handy human interaction checklist!" The whole intro was fantastic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Hey Barry, can you spare 15 mins and run over to Markovia and rescue my wife? Oh, you are busy with your own poo poo. I get it. But what if I told you they had a bunch of helpless metahumans for you to murder..."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I guess all of it, because I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

That you're doing the equivalent of arguing about time travel consistency in Doctor Who or arguing that The Simpsons isn't realistic and you don't seem to understand why as though you've never read a comic book or watched a show based on them.

Also half the posts I read from you in the CW-verse threads amount to "Why don't they just call up X from another show to resolve the problem?" Do you not understand how comic books and their derivative media operate? One of the major setting conceits of comic books is that they do not, in the stories, just call up someone stronger to obviate their problem even though that'd be the realistic thing to do unless the book is an intentional crossover.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

One of the major setting conceits of comic books is that they do not, in the stories, just call up someone stronger to obviate their problem even though that'd be the realistic thing to do unless the book is an intentional crossover.
I know it is. That doesn't mean it's not dumb. Being a "conceit of the setting" doesn't mean you don't have to acknowledge or explain it. People having super powers is a conceit of the setting, but they take the time to explain that because if random people in an otherwise realistic setting just had super powers for no reason then it would be jarring and irritating to the audience - like this is!

My issue isn't that they don't have Barry and Kara solve everyone else's problems, it's that they deliberately create a situation where it would make sense for that to happen but then don't do anything to justify it not happening. It doesn't have to be much - "speed force" doesn't really mean anything, but in the context of the show it explains why Barry can go fast and no one else can - but it would be extremely helpful to have some kind of token explanation for why Jefferson would decide to work with the ASA rather than calling on much more trustworthy allies.

The show's writers shouldn't be raising questions they don't want to answer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

That you're doing the equivalent of arguing about time travel consistency in Doctor Who or arguing that The Simpsons isn't realistic and you don't seem to understand why as though you've never read a comic book or watched a show based on them.

Also half the posts I read from you in the CW-verse threads amount to "Why don't they just call up X from another show to resolve the problem?" Do you not understand how comic books and their derivative media operate? One of the major setting conceits of comic books is that they do not, in the stories, just call up someone stronger to obviate their problem even though that'd be the realistic thing to do unless the book is an intentional crossover.

I agree that it's just the way of comics, but I don't think it's silly to point out the lack of cooperation as the stakes rise. Sure Superman the Flash could clean up Gotham Star City in a snap but Batman Green Arrow has it under control... mostly. It's silly but yes, it makes sense. A totally hosed up government occupation of a city and mistreating minorities? It's hosed, but it's well within the "can handle it" range for Jeff.

But now they're going to invade a foreign nation where it's outright stated they will be outnumbered and outgunned with a team consisting of a bunch of rookies and untrustworthy soldiers. It's valid to say "some of these other heroes should do something", even if it's joking. Or throw out some throwaway line about why other heroes don't want to/can't do it. Again though, I know the answer.

Just thinking about crossovers though, it'd be nice for Joe West to show up and he and Jeff can bond over their ex-wives being junkies! :smith:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 5, 2020

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Khalil's back and I already miss Painkiller.

Not the part where he's a slave, the part where he just oozed cockiness and charisma. Like a Tobias-lite.

As for why he doesn't ask for the Superfriends for help... because the show is called "Black Lightning", not "Supergirl and Flash Solve Everyone's Problems".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Oh poo poo, it’s Wayne Brady son!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I hope TC sticks around, he's cool.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

howe_sam posted:

I hope TC sticks around, he's cool.

Yeah, that whole helicopter scene was pretty cool. I like the whole crew Jeff’s put together.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that whole helicopter scene was pretty cool. I like the whole crew Jeff’s put together.

The Outsiders are a pretty good team. They're only missing a Halo, a Katana and a Metamorpho.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Don't gently caress with Lynn. :laffo:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
gently caress yeah, Khalil vs. Grave Digger

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

howe_sam posted:

Don't gently caress with Lynn. :laffo:

I’m digging that she all but rescued herself. Also holy gently caress I love Khalil. He’s so good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So Tobias just slipped away and everyone’s like “Eh, gently caress him.”

Okay.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they didn't go the route I thought they'd go and have Raiden turn off his pain inhibitors Khalil forced to release Painkiller to beat Gravedigger.

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay.

Wouldn't be an Arrowverse show if at least one villain didn't just up and get away.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Jace still using her human interactions cheat sheet haha

Black Lightning continues to have a great soundtrack.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh poo poo, it’s Wayne Brady son!

I want to see some interactions between him and Tobias(assuming Gravedigger isn't dead).

nine-gear crow posted:

Okay.

I guess Jefferson doesn't care about stabilizing those metas :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 11, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

(assuming Gravedigger isn't dead).
He seemed to be too well-developed to be a one-episode throwaway character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tiggum posted:

I found it interesting how quickly I got a sense of the character without long backstory development. First comes in friendly and Good Cop, then you quickly find out about his power and it makes sense as a character trait rather than an interrogation tactic; he's friendly and confident because with his Push he doesn't need other methods of coercion. Having the physical skills to back it up supports the confidence.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I found it interesting how quickly I got a sense of the character without long backstory development. First comes in friendly and Good Cop, then you quickly find out about his power and it makes sense as a character trait rather than an interrogation tactic; he's friendly and confident because with his Push he doesn't need other methods of coercion. Having the physical skills to back it up supports the confidence.

Yeah, he's basically Preacher.

That whole episode was pretty great, not gonna lie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tiggum posted:

News reports said he was going to be a recurring character when Wayne Brady was cast, so yeah we're gonna see Gravedigger in Freeland at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wayne Brady: The First recorded metahuman