Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Top Hats Monthly posted:

https://youtu.be/1B1EAeh6H_I

Imagine hearing this with no warning

This seems pretty tame compared to the 2018 Hawaii false alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Captian and First Officer of HMCS Calgary have been removed. The issue:

Smoke cigarettes?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What with the virus in the news, foreign policy just ran a story on how the current Administration has hollowed out the Staffing for the pandemic response bureaucracy Obama set up.

It makes me wonder how the emergency response for a nuclear strike was set up back in the Cold War era. Does anyone want to share?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So the F-35 is still unacceptably bad?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's the biggest non-story of 2020 so far.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They fixed none of the priority problems since the last report. Basically a non-story as said; 99% of the focus has been on getting ALIS to be not-poo poo, and ALIS is so irredeemably bad they are dumping it entirely and going with the Air Force’s own software, ODIN.

It’s a little sad they accomplished so little in the year but frankly pretty par for the course.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Mazz posted:

They fixed none of the priority problems since the last report. Basically a non-story as said; 99% of the focus has been on getting ALIS to be not-poo poo, and ALIS is so irredeemably bad they are dumping it entirely and going with the Air Force’s own software, ODIN.

It’s a little sad they accomplished so little in the year but frankly pretty par for the course.

Did they manage to write the contract such that they got a fee for maintaining ALIS even if it didn't get delivered?

Or does that only work with helicopters?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Some very Cold War news: Michael "Mad Mike" Hoare, widely considered the world's most famous mercenary, has died aged 100.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/AirForceMag/status/1223026145056239617

How does this kind of things happen?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The article explains that inconel and titanium visually look similar so presumably they were delivering parts to the wrong area of the production line.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Clearly Lego should be brought in as managers of the F-35 project.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mortabis posted:

The article explains that inconel and titanium visually look similar so presumably they were delivering parts to the wrong area of the production line.

Visually maybe, but they sure as hell weigh a lot differently.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mortabis posted:

Uh oh.

Those have very different strengths.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Visually maybe, but they sure as hell weigh a lot differently.

Not if you have a few of one mixed in with a bunch of the other.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Inconel or polystyrene? Eh whatever

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Man, if only the aviation industry charged a heavy overhead for every little part to ensure that mistakes like this don't happen.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My awesome new jacket is both Cold War and aviation related.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

McNally posted:

My awesome new jacket is both Cold War and aviation related.

Get someone to knit you that hat and do the finger-guns thing again.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Man, if only the aviation industry charged a heavy overhead for every little part to ensure that mistakes like this don't happen.

In principle it ought to nuke their award fee, at minimum. Some contract vehicles will straight up require the contractor to issue the government a refund. I don't know how this contact is set up though.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Get someone to knit you that hat and do the finger-guns thing again.

Sorry to interrupt, but did you buy that hat, or was it handmade? It would make the perfect birthday present for someone I know.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heer98 posted:

Sorry to interrupt, but did you buy that hat, or was it handmade? It would make the perfect birthday present for someone I know.

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1180150023193026561

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Awww, haha. Thanks! Now I only want one more.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

There is a very Cold War car for sale at the moment:

This is a Tatra 603 It's an East German limousine commonly used by Soviet satellite states. This one is rather unique, however, in that it was formerly owned by the PLO and was ostensibly used by either Yasser Arafat, or competing senior PLO members, or both. :stare:

The article has quite a bit more background on both the car itself and who it can be reasonably assumed used it, but goddamn what a thing to pop up for sale.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

30% listening devices by weight.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Not cold war but...if y'all haven't seen 1917 go see it, it was really really good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Carth Dookie posted:

And 15% dud car bombs.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

What I want to know is if you're Mossad bugging a PLO state car and you find a Russian listening device already there do you leave it there? Do you remove it? Ditto if you're the CIA. How many intelligence agencies until it becomes a sort of "kilroy was here" deal?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is a Tatra 603 It's an East German limousine commonly used by Soviet satellite states. This one is rather unique, however, in that it was formerly owned by the PLO and was ostensibly used by either Yasser Arafat, or competing senior PLO members, or both. :stare:

The article has quite a bit more background on both the car itself and who it can be reasonably assumed used it, but goddamn what a thing to pop up for sale.

Air-cooled
Rear engined
V-8
Kills Nazis (at least its predecessor did)

I'll take 2.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hauldren Collider posted:

What I want to know is if you're Mossad bugging a PLO state car and you find a Russian listening device already there do you leave it there? Do you remove it? Ditto if you're the CIA. How many intelligence agencies until it becomes a sort of "kilroy was here" deal?

finding an unexpected device in a car was what led to the takedown of the Baltimore PD gun task force for an amazing variety of criminal activities

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

finding an unexpected device in a car was what led to the takedown of the Baltimore PD gun task force for an amazing variety of criminal activities

Bmore PD is just legalized organized crime

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Bmore PD is just legalized organized crime

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Excuse me but Tatra is extremely Czech and not at all German, and if you got that info from that article who knows what other extremely basic facts it also got wrong.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The article notes it was given to the PLO by the East German Stasi, but correctly pegs it as Czechoslovakian.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I kind of want to paint it electric blue and bright red and call it the Neon Tatra.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some espionage efforts span years, with elaborate clandestine plans involving hundreds of people, high tech equipment, and razor-thin timelines.

Some espionage efforts are just taking your work laptop with you to China.

The good news is Raytheon can sell the US government all sorts of new software and equipment updates to help offset the vulnerabilities their security breach caused!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Can't help but feel that despite the effort involved, the spy game in the Cold War didn't matter. The important piece of intelligence was the realization that Soviet economic figures were bogus, standard of living was regressing, and consequently if we walked away from detente they could never keep up. No theft of secrets could make up the difference.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shooting Blanks posted:

I remember when Car and Driver test drove its successor, which was still air-cooled and rear engine'd and terrifying to drive

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Not cold war but...if y'all haven't seen 1917 go see it, it was really really good.

Leave in the middle, before it out-mawkish-es Spielberg.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mortabis posted:

Can't help but feel that despite the effort involved, the spy game in the Cold War didn't matter. The important piece of intelligence was the realization that Soviet economic figures were bogus, standard of living was regressing, and consequently if we walked away from detente they could never keep up. No theft of secrets could make up the difference.

If you're the dominant power maybe. I'd say espionage is most useful if you're behind technologically, even if in only a single area. Of course there's one way to find out if you're behind in the first place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
IDK, I read Legacy of Ashes, and it sounds like the CIA couldn't find its own rear end with a map and a flashlight.

Oddly, the same author wrote a book basically praising the FBI for being much more competent and effective, if extremely shady in its dealings.