Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL at people clamoring to pre order a game via Kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's happening again. The W101 cycle. I've had this game and been trying to enjoy it for years. I play up to around getting the claw before admitting to myself it's not clicking. I feel another attempt coming.

I want to like it. It's a game I should like. I love Platinum games, but not W101. I think it's getting stunned and having to reform your group that brings it down for me. It really breaks the pacing I think.

Please convince me that playing 101 is a good way to use my day off on Friday.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Suaimhneas posted:

Even on the Wii U it was quicker and easier to use the right stick than to draw the shapes on the touchscreen.

It helped to think of it like fighting game inputs: rotate the stick 360 degrees and press A to make the fist, tilt the stick in a direction and press A to make the sword, etc

Good god that makes so much more sense than me frantically fumbling with the touchscreen on the WiiU. Putting W101 and Okami in the same box has made me so excited! Now if only my card didn't constantly get declined when using Kickstarter. That is not Wonderful :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I only preorder the big titty rpg games that show up in Kickstarter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No. 6 posted:

It's a great game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No. 6 posted:

The backer tier rewards are actually pretty nice at least.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wildtortilla posted:

It's happening again. The W101 cycle. I've had this game and been trying to enjoy it for years. I play up to around getting the claw before admitting to myself it's not clicking. I feel another attempt coming.

I want to like it. It's a game I should like. I love Platinum games, but not W101. I think it's getting stunned and having to reform your group that brings it down for me. It really breaks the pacing I think.

Please convince me that playing 101 is a good way to use my day off on Friday.

Some games just don't click with folks and it sucks, but if it helps it sounds like you're on mission 004 and once you hit 005 the game goes absolutely batshit and you'll understand why it's loved as much as it is :v:

For what it's worth I felt like I was fumbling the controls my first playthrough for the first handful of missions. It really does overwhelm you- but in the back half/second playthrough I genuinely don't remember getting stunned being that much of a problem because it just stopped happening and things 'clicked'.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

W101 gameplay is an absurd fusion of DMC, Bayonetta, Revengeance, and Pikmin. The skill floor is high just to be good enough at it. It took me until after I watched the LP of it to finally understand how to play it properly.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is the KS cheaper than retail? A keychain and a digital art book don't really move me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wake up. It’s February. The year 2020. I go to the Nintendo Switch Game Store. I type Viewtiful Joe. No results.

:negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it's a lot easier when you understand the rules on how things work. Like if a enemy is holding a gooey shield or something you can cut through it with a sword because sure- but if you punch it your dudes will ripple off it and go flying.

The game doesn't tell you about this so on a first time through there's little gotcha moments that can get you and you won't realize what you did wrong until after the fact.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I would buy a remastered Viewtiful Joe

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No. 6 posted:

Is the KS cheaper than retail? A keychain and a digital art book don't really move me.

Yes, digital version is just like 35 dollars and physical is 55- and if you back it you get all the DLC for free.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wake up. It’s February. The year 2020. I go to the Nintendo Switch Game Store. I type Viewtiful Joe. No results.

Wanna know something cool? W101 takes place in the VJ universe and one of the hidden characters is Not-Joe, who Ukemi's with his famous pose.

One of the stretch goals is even going to be a 2D platformer sequel :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I couldn't get into W101 even a little bit. Where is Bayonetta 3 :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inzombiac posted:

Saints Row 4 is coming to Switch and I pray it's a better port than 3.

Was that the one with the giant flopping purple dildo swords? On MY Nintendo?!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish they would have ported Saints Row 2 instead.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hosed up if true

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love power rangers so I would think I would love W101 but unfortunately I don't. I think it lost me when it introduced Wonder Pink with a bunch of leg and panty shots. Pretty sure it's supposed to be parody but it was still gross

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I love power rangers so I would think I would love W101 but unfortunately I don't. I think it lost me when it introduced Wonder Pink with a bunch of leg and panty shots. Pretty sure it's supposed to be parody but it was still gross

Ha ha ha. I was enjoying the anime game until it showed a girls panties.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hoping the port gets a few QoL improvements. Wonder how loving nuts it would be to play offscreen lol.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So, from an outside perspective:

W101 is Pikmin, with super-heroes, in the style of Lapis X Labyrinth?

Am I wrong? Because that seems loving awesome.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waltzing Along posted:

Ha ha ha. I was enjoying the anime game until it showed a girls panties.

It's not odd to enjoy Japanese media properties but not enjoy blatant fanservice.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think it's a lot easier when you understand the rules on how things work. Like if a enemy is holding a gooey shield or something you can cut through it with a sword because sure- but if you punch it your dudes will ripple off it and go flying.

The game doesn't tell you about this so on a first time through there's little gotcha moments that can get you and you won't realize what you did wrong until after the fact.

I'm pretty sure the game does directly tell you "cut goo with your sword"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tempura Wizard posted:

It has (almost) always been the platform of your choice. They'll reach out when the campaign ends to ask what flavor of code you want. In the past when platforms were region locked they'd ask that too, but Switch/PS4/Steam support one-region-fits-all images.

Almost right. Digital codes that aren't on PC (except in some rare circumstances for price fixing bullshit reasons) are region specific because all the console marketplaces are region locked, so they will absolutely also ask what region's code you want because it has to match the store region for the account you're gonna use on that console.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Beastie posted:

Its only really aesthetically Pikmin, it doesn't really play similarly.

Chip and Ironicus did a good LP that has a short primer on how combat works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVDiP7UhFQ

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beastie posted:

It's not really like Pikmin at all, despite the resemblance of having a big blob of dudes. It's an action brawler, not a strategy game.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bliss

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I think I'm sick of the Witcher now and just want to finish it to see the rest of the plot.

But that's good, because it didn't set in that I was getting tired until late last night, after I've completed almost every single side quest and am in the main quest of the second dlc. And I'm actually interested in those plot quests. Tired of all the side nonsense with only the Final Preparations quest and the Blood and Wine main quest left, this game was great.

My only regret is I didn't find the orange dye recipe

yeh I’ve hit a bit of burnout in the game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

Saints Row 4 is coming to Switch and I pray it's a better port than 3.

Reminder that any time you turned around in SR 3 that the streets became a deserted wasteland, and that SR4 gives you super speed and flight with an unstable 20-40fps even on the PS4.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yesterday, as I was selling a mint-in-box Wii U and 3DS, I thought to myself “the only reason to keep this thing is that I’ve never played W101 and always wanted to” and then I came home to the Kickstarter news! How lovely for my favorite developer! The switch having both a touch screen and two sticks and motion controls means this will be an awesome game! Do you think it’ll be a full $60 or we might luck out and get it for $30 or $40?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SR4 didn't let you fire your guns while in mid air so it's a bullshit game for bullshit people.

It's also just generally not very good, the joke was wearing thin in 3 and 4 is straight up purple monkey dishwasher.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Never play Bayonetta. lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

play Bayonetta. lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Never play Bayonetta. lol

I don't mind Bayonetta because that character is clearly an adult!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I wanted to like Saints Row 4, but when I played on 360 it had some serious jank. The game crashed almost as much as it autosaved, which was near constantly. The final missions were such a slog, too. I beat it out of spite more than anything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the saints row series is very bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like the people in this thread that are down on it are the same people who bounced off its demo/mission 1 in the Wii-U thread and tried to tell people it was poo poo because they didn't understand how to play.

I mean it's possible to not like the game but "it's not very memorable." is a big loving uhhh

I forgot it existed until now so no, not that memorable :v:

I like that middling/mediocre games like W101 that only a handful of people remember get to live again though, god knows I have my share of them

quote:

No

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Amazon has the AC Switch up now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084DDDNRP/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i put 20+ hours into trying to like saints row 3 and it did some stuff that i liked but the actual driving and shooting felt so loving bad that i can't bring myself to fire it up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Super No Vacancy posted:

SR3 is hilarious and made me laugh my rear end off multiple times.

SR4 is maybe the quickest I've regretted buying a game