Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why would you sign over your company to someone no more than 23? The home too. I guess if you wanted to secure assets in case of emergency or death you could make them partners, but just signing over everything you own is hella weird.

Because you want to make sure the recipient understands that they owe you. Not just owe you but owe you EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I honestly wonder if there was some sort of fraud or bankruptcy impending, and she was trying to protect assets.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I honestly wonder if there was some sort of fraud or bankruptcy impending, and she was trying to protect assets.

That was my thought as well. An old co-worker of mine got handed a business and some property from her dad before he got audited and it's basically been one giant albatross around her neck ever since.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So the other day I got a string of messages from my father begging me to let him explain himself so we can be a family again.

I cut him off in 1998. He was extremely violent and abusive, especially towards my mom. He tried to murder her one night amd I witnessed it. I was 8. That finally led to divorce and was the first time he went to jail. He's how I know what crack smells like. Walking through certain areas of downtown brings me back to my childhood :smith:

He somehow got my email in 2003 or so, and would send me e-cards to which I responded with a massive drunken email explaining what my childhood was like and how I wanted nothing to do with him. I fully blocked him. In 2010 or 2011 I made a comment on a Facbook post making a joke about what a shithead he was, but what I didn't know was she had added him to track his movements so she knew how to avoid him. He sent me a string of nasty messages through Facebook messenger about how awful and disappointing I am. I didn't respond blocked him. I think it was around this time I found out he had a third kid, and I had a brother 18 or so years younger than me.

Then like a year later, I was shown a message that he was moving to my city from across the country to "patch up the family". My mom and I are the only ones here, so I changed my facebook name to a fake name so I'd be harder to find. I saw him one day in the Wal-mart in the mall I worked at. He didn't see me but I had a full blown panic attack that lasted half an hour.

After maybe a year, he moved back east and I was safe again. Now, I have my brother on Facebook because he was innocent of all this and I explained to him why my dad is not in life. He told me he understood and would respect it. That was 5 years ago.

This week I got a bunch of messages from my dad, he told me it was really hard to find me.

You fuckin THINK?

He must have made a new Facebook account to message me, because he was 100% blocked. Or does blocking expire after a certain number of years? It better not. At any rate I had a 2 day panic attack and missed work. I feel like my brother told him how to find me which pisses me off. I didn't respond and blocked them both. This all happened a couple days after my brother posted a string of bizarre posts about all sorts of weird poo poo so I don't think he's all there just like his dad.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

So the other day I got a string of messages from my father begging me to let him explain himself so we can be a family again.

I cut him off in 1998. He was extremely violent and abusive, especially towards my mom. He tried to murder her one night amd I witnessed it. I was 8. That finally led to divorce and was the first time he went to jail. He's how I know what crack smells like. Walking through certain areas of downtown brings me back to my childhood :smith:

He somehow got my email in 2003 or so, and would send me e-cards to which I responded with a massive drunken email explaining what my childhood was like and how I wanted nothing to do with him. I fully blocked him. In 2010 or 2011 I made a comment on a Facbook post making a joke about what a shithead he was, but what I didn't know was she had added him to track his movements so she knew how to avoid him. He sent me a string of nasty messages through Facebook messenger about how awful and disappointing I am. I didn't respond blocked him. I think it was around this time I found out he had a third kid, and I had a brother 18 or so years younger than me.

Then like a year later, I was shown a message that he was moving to my city from across the country to "patch up the family". My mom and I are the only ones here, so I changed my facebook name to a fake name so I'd be harder to find. I saw him one day in the Wal-mart in the mall I worked at. He didn't see me but I had a full blown panic attack that lasted half an hour.

After maybe a year, he moved back east and I was safe again. Now, I have my brother on Facebook because he was innocent of all this and I explained to him why my dad is not in life. He told me he understood and would respect it. That was 5 years ago.

This week I got a bunch of messages from my dad, he told me it was really hard to find me.

You fuckin THINK?

He must have made a new Facebook account to message me, because he was 100% blocked. Or does blocking expire after a certain number of years? It better not. At any rate I had a 2 day panic attack and missed work. I feel like my brother told him how to find me which pisses me off. I didn't respond and blocked them both. This all happened a couple days after my brother posted a string of bizarre posts about all sorts of weird poo poo so I don't think he's all there just like his dad.

No, it doesn't expire. He 100% created a new account and found your profile through a mutual friend - a comment, a friend list, etc. All that you can do is block his new account, double-check your privacy settings again, and change your profile pic/name.

I'm sorry you had to deal with him again. That sounds awful.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah he created another account. Sorry you have to deal with this shithead again. Worth checking your privacy settings on Facebook every year or so too.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She says "To legal protect any assets and give responsibilities and work ethic to them, I wrongly passed the Directorship of the company to the oldest one" which does make it sound like something shifty financially is going on, with the plausible deniability of "oh I just wanted them to learn leadership skills and have some work experience" worked in.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
With the reference to moving from another country and the specific grammatical errors she makes, it sounds like this family is Chinese, so don't judge her too harshly for her bad English.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dienes posted:

No, it doesn't expire. He 100% created a new account and found your profile through a mutual friend - a comment, a friend list, etc. All that you can do is block his new account, double-check your privacy settings again, and change your profile pic/name.

I'm sorry you had to deal with him again. That sounds awful.

Heads up - if you have your FB URL as Facebook.com/somethingcustom he can find you that way as well with a new account

My boyfriend and I talked about his mom last night and while he knows why I’m estranged from my dad, I never knew the extent of the relationship between his mom and him. She was just flat out not there for him, and he basically raised himself, good and bad. He has a brother who went into the foster system and he barely saw him, and seeing him so destroyed over the zero relationship he has with him, it kills me. He’s terrified to reach out to the rest of the family as he doesn’t know if they’re on good terms with the mother (he has a ton of siblings and all have been estranged from her at various times!), and he wants to be that cool uncle, and his nieces and nephews want to know him.

I can handle my own hosed up family nonsense fine, but knowing that my boyfriend went through a lot of awful poo poo as a child - it hits me differently.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Tarezax posted:

With the reference to moving from another country and the specific grammatical errors she makes, it sounds like this family is Chinese, so don't judge her too harshly for her bad English.

I was thinking she speaks Spanish or Portuguese because she said furioso at one point, but maybe that was just a typo. :shrug:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

vortmax posted:

I was thinking she speaks Spanish or Portuguese because she said furioso at one point, but maybe that was just a typo. :shrug:

The syntax definitely reads like native Spanish speaker whose English is good but not great. The way she orders her nouns and modifiers is pretty distinctive.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Picnic Princess posted:

I feel like my brother told him how to find me which pisses me off. I didn't respond and blocked them both. This all happened a couple days after my brother posted a string of bizarre posts about all sorts of weird poo poo so I don't think he's all there just like his dad.

Probably for the best to block them both if the brother is unreliable and/or you suspect that they sold you out. I had, not a sibling, but their spouse sell me out because they came from a big functional family and couldn't comprehend why anyone wouldn't talk to their parents; so when our biological parents gave them a big sob story, they fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

They've since learned better, but I still don't trust that particular in-law with anything sensitive to this very day.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-savvy-psychologist/202001/broken-family-ties-and-how-cope-estrangement

quote:

One participant in the study poignantly said, “The cumulative pain because of the past never went away, never was reconciled, never was discussed, never was apologized for, never acknowledged, nothing. I hoped I could let it go, but it never went away.”

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XRS7yPhH8

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stare:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

She’s a wildlife care advocate who has a gimmick of being a medium to a dead squirrel. (She’s funny but the gimmick should not be taken seriously

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Based on the number of times she startled the opossum alone I can see why she's alone.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

I just went to visit a friend/church member at a nursing home, he was in the hosp and will be there 2 more weeks. There he is with is daughter, granddaughter who live 3 hours away.

They come in often to see them and are staying the weekend. Yep this is enough to get me so jealous. It really is heartbreaking when you don’t have that. Then I got to thinking my EC are so snooty and think they are better than anyone, wont give you the time of day. I am sure it would be miserable if they were around.

There are worse things than being alone, alone is good when your kids are so unkind and make you miserable with their uppity ways. My son was on fb today saying he was waiting for his daughter and her friend outside of Starbucks and I was thinking yep this is him. I feel sure they think they are too high class for my husb and me. What can I say, ECs dad was the same way, spent every dime he made but had to look all classy. I think I want them around but when I look at who they are, maybe not.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Those monsters. Drinking starbucks like that, RIGHT OUT IN THE OPEN!!! QUIT FLAUNTING YOU'RE HIGH CLASS WAYS!!!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I know I always pepper my FB posts with namedrops like Starbucks or Olive Garden to let plebs know whats what. :wotwot:

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Putting Grey Poupon on my sandwiches, sipping Starbucks out of the fancy china, while I gaze disdainfully at the peasants strolling along the path below my manor's balcony.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
EC think they're too good to pour their instant coffee on the floor and lap it up like a animal.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

it's either that or she thinks her son thinks he's too good to wait inside starbucks and that's why he's standing outside of it, instead of assuming he wanted to give his daughter and her friends some privacy instead of looming in the background.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I somehow think I can detect why this person's kids want nothing to do with them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just completely did away with Facebook when I cut out my family back in 2012 and it was the best decision. They change their policies and options and controls so often that one day you'll sign on and suddenly be searchable again. It's made it a lot more difficult for my family to find me (in my case it's my unstable sister that's twelve years older than me) but she's still found ways to message my spouse and best friend through their accounts over the years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Facebook is the Devil, and not the cool party Devil either

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

catapede posted:

Putting Grey Poupon on my sandwiches, sipping Starbucks out of the fancy china, while I gaze disdainfully at the peasants strolling along the path below my manor's balcony.

Rejected parents asking people to "please pass the Jelly", like god-fearing folk.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
"Mister High Muckety-Muck in his F250. Lordin' all that towin' capacity over us humble folk."

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Today in "advice column full of red flags": https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...oney-2020-02-04

Unfortunately the advice is loving horrible. There's 0.0% chance there's no reason her father cut her out of the will and the only reason her son won't let her see her grandson is because she asked him for the inheritance money.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also, how the hell is son living off $255,000? That's not gently caress-you money.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

13Pandora13 posted:

Today in "advice column full of red flags": https://www.marketwatch.com/story/m...oney-2020-02-04

Unfortunately the advice is loving horrible. There's 0.0% chance there's no reason her father cut her out of the will and the only reason her son won't let her see her grandson is because she asked him for the inheritance money.

The column they chose is telling. They're asking how to get them dollas, not how to be good family. In that vein, MarketWatch doesn't seem like a site that wants to encourage self reflection.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I'd bet she was looting the house while taking care of her dad.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AuntBuck posted:

I'd bet she was looting the house while taking care of her dad.

We're pretty sure that's what happened when my dad's brothers were taking care of their mom. Though in true estranged sibling fashion, I've been getting some really interesting (in a very :unsmith: sort of way) info out of an aunt who I recently reconnected with. I was always under the impression that my dad and his brother (her husband) were estranged as gently caress, but it turns out my uncle used to carry a photo of me in his wallet before he got married and had his own kids, so I think my dad might be full of poo poo?

Family stuff is weird, y'all.

Holy poo poo, that article linked that's like, "I discovered my biological father was someone else via Ancestry.com genealogy searches. He's been dead for 30 years. Can I still get some of that inheritance?" :psyduck: This is why I'm never getting on one of those loving registries. Biological strangers are still strangers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Holy poo poo, that article linked that's like, "I discovered my biological father was someone else via Ancestry.com genealogy searches. He's been dead for 30 years. Can I still get some of that inheritance?" :psyduck: This is why I'm never getting on one of those loving registries. Biological strangers are still strangers.

On the flip-side, a few years ago I got to listen to a piece on the BBC that included a dude in his 50's blubbering about not knowing his real father because he was the product of his mom's side piece.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Like, I can completely understand the need/want for having a father in your life. But why does it always have to be that specific guy your mom banged to produce you?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Because blood is thicker than semen.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Because blood is thicker than semen.

The only way to confirm this is by collecting a wide range of samples from a variety of sources and cataloguing their levels of viscosity and density.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Like, I can completely understand the need/want for having a father in your life. But why does it always have to be that specific guy your mom banged to produce you?

Yeah, that was the weird thing, because he did have a father, one of those DNA tests just revealed that he wasn't the biological one. Apparently it's pretty common to find that poo poo out with these tests, usually it's siblings discovering it and finding out they're half-brothers/sisters

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

The only way to confirm this is by collecting a wide range of samples from a variety of sources and cataloguing their levels of viscosity and density.

I feel like cumshitter could write a few paragraphs about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

gently caress you for insinuating I haven't done my research.