Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Chaucer is great fun because he pretty much shatters any and all modern preconceptions about medieval life by showing off a broad range of contemporary stereotypes, most of which don't fit the narrow mould of a layman's view of the past. It's just a bunch of dudes out on pilgrimage sharing stories like normal people. Sure they're a lot more religious than people today but they're so recognizably human and not the dung eating peasants of the 14th century people like to pass off nowadays.

yeah. i love reading poo poo like that because it shows that we as humans havent really changes so much. i mean we laugh at the same weird hosed up poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The dark truth about Dan Folding Ideas has finally come out:

http://tevisthompson.com/its-not-coming-back/

quote:

5. Amidst these very real problems, a slew of less real ones infected talk of Fortnite. Typical among them was Folding Ideas’ video about Fortnite’s ‘manufactured discontent’. It begins with bad jokes and Tencent Chinese scaremongering and ends by calling Fortnite “a weaponized product targeted at kids”. Of course the children. Always the children.

Dan Olson’s main claim is that Fortnite isn’t really a game; it’s a storefront. Which initially sounds smart, in that facile, thinkpiecey sort of way. And which just so happens to suit his form of distanced analysis that doesn’t require deep engagement with the actual game everyone is playing. It’s not even clear that he played the main battle royale game much during his month-long tour, given his arguments. Or given that all his video footage is taken from Team Rumble, a side game mode which is just a large scale deathmatch, not a battle royale.

But even his dabbler’s analysis of the storefront and player psychology is unconvincing. Every monetization ‘concern’ is predicated on the idea that no one could actually enjoy playing Fortnite itself, for its own sake. Only a fool would get suckered in. So Olson plays the completely free version and chafes at the limits it imposes. The very idea that you should pay anything for this game seems to offend his gamer sensibilities. And so it must be a skinner box, even though it’s not. The battlepass must be a scam, even though it’s the best of its kind and expands the battle royale in remarkable ways. The storefront must be built solely around false scarcity and fear of missing out, not limited choice and unpredictability, which just happen to be core tenets of the game.

But then, how would he know any of that? When you engage from a distance, what value can you discover other than what you came in with? How can you analyze a game’s ‘rhetoric’ when you can’t actually read it? How convincing can all your doomtalk be when half your arguments would evaporate if you’d just pay 10 bucks for the battlepass and play the drat game?

I’m not sure which is worse: critics not paying attention to Fortnite at all, or critics playing the tourist, wanting authority without investment and coming home thinking they understand another culture better than us poor saps who live there.

You claimed to play Fortnite did you not Dan? But you didn't REALLY PLAY IT THE RIGHT WAY DID YOU?!

you didn't buy the BATTLE PASS

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YOU PLAYED TEAM RUMBLE INSTEAD OF FREE FOR ALL YOU HACK FRAUD

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why is the name Tevis Thompson familiar

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Alaois posted:

because he’s been quoted a lot in this thread before

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I can't believe this. Dan, you are a son of a bitch. You are the arsehole of the Maple Leaf isle. You are loving cancelled for this. Forever cancelled.

Alaois posted:

Probably best known for his destruction of BioShock Infinite and other pseudo intellectual, big wordy and abrasive pieces that are absolutely insufferable

watho
Aug 2, 2013

honestly i will defend his article on bioshock infinite even if everything else he’s made really makes me not want to

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
He needs a wedgie

Also the shine wore off on Bioshock Infinite in record time and I don’t think you need a droning think piece to recognize its problems. And I say this as someone who liked the game when it came out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

imo one of the most serious problems with fortnite is their continued appropriation of dances to sell in their storefront, while one of the least real problems is its storefront.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't see this posted earlier, but Sage looks at Miami Guns and talks about the anime industry of the early 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNABwHgkLuQ

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

I don't wan't to be ORB OF FURY level of angry about Tevis again so let's talk about PushingUpRoses and The Masked Mutant episode of Goosebumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhBunCnxnpM

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Adam West being in that one always confused me as he kinda cements that the tone was wrecked in the second half.

I also will always laugh at the gratuitous Toronto landmarks in Goosebumps (it was filmed in Toronto and Richmond, BC.)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Goosebumps: Actually kids do not want to be a comic book character.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Wrageowrapper posted:

I think it is considered to be the first MODERN novel rather than just the first novel in general. I'm not entirely sure of the distinction. Something to do with hearing character thoughts? Its metaness? Its willingness to play with styles? Something intellectual no doubt.

The difference is that there are a bunch of long-rear end stories written as poetry (Beowulf, Illiad, and other things you pretend to have read).

And yeah, whatever, it's only the second or third novel or whatever categorization that makes you feel better about your anime. Still stands out better than most modern writing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd kinda hope that something that's managed to stick around for a long time has some merit, perhaps even more than the manga equivalent of a New York Times Bestseller.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

I don't wan't to be ORB OF FURY level of angry about Tevis again so let's talk about PushingUpRoses and The Masked Mutant episode of Goosebumps.

I think it's another one of those shows that never made it to the channels I got when I was the right age for it. Unlike Are You Afraid of the Dark that did. Either way, nice overview of the episode, and I'm glad this isn't a two-parter, unlike the original material. :v:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't see this posted earlier, but Sage looks at Miami Guns and talks about the anime industry of the early 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNABwHgkLuQ

I legitimately appreciate that he used the right aspect ratio at the end there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

PushingUpRoses talks about how the episode adaption of the book is pretty weak, and yep a lot of the Goosebumps books were dialed down or toyed with in ways that messed with any interesting bits in their TV episode adaptions. You can get a pretty good synopsis of the book itself on the Blogger Beware page (which also has great summaries of the whole original series and some of the follow up stuff) and you can see where they kept some plot beats from the book but cut or revised other poo poo (probably for budget or technical limitations.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

PushingUpRoses talks about how the episode adaption of the book is pretty weak, and yep a lot of the Goosebumps books were dialed down or toyed with in ways that messed with any interesting bits in their TV episode adaptions. You can get a pretty good synopsis of the book itself on the Blogger Beware page (which also has great summaries of the whole original series and some of the follow up stuff) and you can see where they kept some plot beats from the book but cut or revised other poo poo (probably for budget or technical limitations.)

It's been neat to compare PUP's tv show reviews with poparena's book reviews. The shows don't feel like they have Stine's odd fascination with kids eternally pranking each other like the books do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

You claimed to play Fortnite did you not Dan? But you didn't REALLY PLAY IT THE RIGHT WAY DID YOU?!

I love that the ultimate up there rear end critic who hates everything likes a loving kids skinners box, but loving red dead and every other game is bad. Tevis is such a loving pretentious clown.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 4, 2020

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I actually have the comic he wrote, Second Quest, in hard back somewhere. I gotta find it and report back cause he makes some...strange claims about zelda.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 4, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I actually have the comic he wrote, Second Quest, in hard back somewhere. I gotta find it and report back cause he makes some...strange claims about zelda.

Like what?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I was skimming the original article he wrote about zelda on his site. The part that sticks out was how he says Zelda needs to be "Harder to survive" and how that now there are over 10 entries of the series that rely on common themes and tropes that the players can always call back to if they get stuck. "Torches need to be lit" "Find hearts and rupees here" "These enemies can be killed this way" To the point where the game is basically hand holding the player through the game.

Grandpa Simpson if he was a gamer posted:

Helicopter Parents

Zelda needs to be harder. Much harder. Not harder to solve, like Ocarina’s Water Temple, but harder to survive. The first two Zeldas were exquisitely difficult (the second excruciatingly so), and they were all the more wonderful for it. Thus, when I beat Link to the Past the first weekend I had it, after three years of waiting, I couldn’t help but feel let down. The Adventure of Link had actually demanded things of me, had forced me to up my game. But Ganon fell within three days that spring of ‘92. Heroism was, apparently, passé.

It’s been equally so ever since. It’s not that certain encounters or sequences in Ocarina or Twilight Princess aren’t challenging (the silent realms are a Skyward Sword highlight). But they are separate, repeatable, often asking me to merely hone a skill or discover a weak point (a strategy, they call it) before getting whacked too many times. Failure occurs, but with little penalty. And given the often incoherent controls, with little responsibility either. The games themselves, piecemeal affairs, are not difficult. It’s never a matter of if I’ll succeed, only when.

Don’t get me wrong: modern Zeldas are not simple, only simpleminded. Some of this comes from convention and repetition, both within and across games. The path through each is laid down with paternal care. One senses at every turn that the experience has been carefully crafted by someone who surely knows best. His guiding hand remains on the gameflow spigot so that it drips steadily; meanwhile, you won’t be tempted to get ahead of yourself or go out of order. The first time you play Zelda, it’s no surprise that this tasteful staggering of content and gentle guidance of the player comes off as masterful game design.

For veteran players like myself, though, the profound conservatism at Zelda’s heart feels more patronizing with each repetition. Why bother paying attention to the old man when I can just tune out and coast? The game will do all the fretting for me. It won’t let me fail. I don’t even have to get good; I just have to get through. Zelda asks nothing, demands nothing, except that I play along.

In the comic, from what I remember, this lead to the creation of ceremonies that must never be questioned and the Zelda stand in needing to find a way to escape from what's left of Hyland civilization.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i went back and started to reread the "Worst Games of 2018" article and lmao now i remember this person

quote:

We still care too much about gamefeel. See Destiny. See also Celeste. There’s something icky about the way game critics fetishize it. That luscious feedback, that perfect extension of your will, that zone you wish to stay in forever. Gross.

e: this person is a parody of like, early Pitchfork or Tiny Mix Tapes writers right

quote:

Iconoclasts goes the other way, not exploring platforms in space but using them to tell a story of subjectivities at war. Ideology as platform, personality as platform. Essentially, character as platform. This makes for a knotted, thorny game full of difficult people. In other words, a hardcore platformer. If platforms are people.

I used to have a very broad idea of the platformer. Especially as a storytelling device. There was something so natural about the story of a pit. All the ways one might fall in or climb out. The natural range of emotions that comes with moving across a landscape. How different people might face the same world. But somewhere along the way, as style and difficulty began to dominate, even thematized difficulty, I stopped thinking of their potential this way.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 4, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

i went back and started to reread the "Worst Games of 2018" article and lmao now i remember this person

lol. game feel is good though and it makes me sad when i see pretentious shits like this clown and even decent critics like errant signal poo poo on it.

edit: jesus. he really is just a more pretentious radicalbytes but instead of tackling it from a dumb politics perspective, its some weird uber snob contrarian poo poo.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It must take a special kind of brainworm to say “a game subtly giving the player feedback on when they’re on the right track is bad, actually.”

I mean it’s not some singular all-important thing that divides good games from bad but jeez.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I remember how above everything else about the game, he was enamored by Dark Souls in that there would never be a sequel, or even if there was that it would surely be an entirely different experience and retread NONE of the same beats as the first title. You would never revisit a location in a future Dark Souls title that appeared in the first one he believed, and hoped. No game mechanics you've mastered will help you.

Seeing him come to terms with the fact that From Software and Miyazaki-style mechanics was a brand was palpable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dark Souls 3 being basically a greatest hits of the series must've caused a total meltdown.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You cannot possibly convince me that Tevis is a real name. This man is not real. I reject

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ok, im re-reading second quest now and...woof...I forgot how HARD it leans into depicting Hylan civilization as fascist.

Edit: OH WOW! Hey everybody! who wants a story about Greenwood Tulsa through the lens of Zelda? Because that is what we are doing.

I hate this man. WIth a passion. He is...just....I need to sit and take my time to parse this thing out.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 4, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I'm starting to suspect that Noah Caldwell-Gervais is full of poo poo.

I mean he's extremely eloquent, nice and entertaining but I don't believe for a second that even a fraction the depth he finds in video games was purposely put there by its developers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Death of the Author and all that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Katt posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Noah Caldwell-Gervais is full of poo poo.

I mean he's extremely eloquent, nice and entertaining but I don't believe for a second that even a fraction the depth he finds in video games was purposely put there by its developers.

i mean analysis doesn’t have to be intended to valid

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I mean, you do need to be full of poo poo on some level to do any kind of analysis of any media.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

but also stuff like his critique of far cry 3 is like entirely based on the text and stuff the developers said

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
ancient novel chat: The Golden rear end (or, the metamorphoses) of Apuleius (2nd c. CE) is the only fully extant Roman novel and is terrifically good and anyone who likes to think about witches having sex with people, or donkeys having sex with people (like prominent Internet Personality the YourMovieSucks guy) should read it.

this post is not intended as a commentary on Don Quixote's importance in the development of the modern Western novel

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I did actually play a whole bunch of Battle Royale! The problem was that BR matches while you're learning the game are really, really, really bad, and end up being a lot of time for very little action. Because of that I wasn't recording constantly, figuring that I could just use the replay feature to get the 30 seconds of good footage out of the hours and hours of gameplay, but then several days in a row Fortnite patched overnight and broke all my replays. That really chapped because I lost a few actually really good, illustrative games where I made it to the top 5 and was then thoroughly destroyed by someone insta-building massive complexes.

So, basically, by the time I was really buckling down to get footage I'd been burnt several times over by the replay system and lost over a hundred hours of matches, so I mostly stuck to Team Rumble which is pretty fun as a game mode, a lot more visually interesting, and much easier to use to manufacture the specific kinds of interactions I was looking for. Most of the game footage in the video comes from a small cluster of matches where I ran around with a checklist of things I wanted to get.

But, yeah, the practical reality is that BR matches are a lot of time commitment for a very low chance at getting good footage. If you want a shot of sniping someone off a zip line it might take two or three Rumble matches to make it happen, but you can go ten, twenty Battle Royale matches before you even see someone use a zipline while you have a gun with a scope.

Also I'm really not sure which of my arguments about the Battlepass would "evaporate" if I paid ten bucks. I made it pretty clear that the Battlepass throws stuff at you hand over fist, to the point that playing without the Battlepass feels bad. It seems the argument is "yes, but if you pay then it feels good instead"?

Plus it's bizarre to say that the Battlepass "expands the Battle Royale in remarkable ways" when it doesn't fundamentally alter the nature of the content, it just adds more of it. You're still getting the same types of side objectives, there's just a lot more of them, so that you can feel like you were maybe a bit productive when you at least managed to check of "visit Shady Sands" before getting one-shot by someone who got lucky and found a shotgun. All that rant does it confirm that Epic's deliberately crafted reward/denial system does its job.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i tried doing the battle pass type thing for a game and it was such a miserable and stressful experience

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I'm sorry, you must be mistaken: I have been assured that there is absolutely nothing stressful or deliberately off-putting about the ticking clock of ten weeks to complete hundreds of objectives in order to fully unlock the game skins you directly paid for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm sorry, you must be mistaken: I have been assured that there is absolutely nothing stressful or deliberately off-putting about the ticking clock of ten weeks to complete hundreds of objectives in order to fully unlock the game skins you directly paid for.

as someone who played Fortnite for a few seasons: it started out lovely, but by the time I kind of lost interest in the game, it had gotten absolutely piss easy to get most of the challenges in a given season.

they're split into two kinds: weird scavenger hunt challenges, and "performance" ones (ie "get a kill with x weapon," "get kills in 3 different locations," etc). the scavenger hunts, you just google the challenge text, start a BR round, go where google told you to go, get your stars, and jump off a cliff or something. easy as hell, takes about five minutes tops for one. the performance-based ones are in theory harder, but there's a catch.

the catch is that you can do them in modes like Team Rumble, despite them being balanced around you trying to do them in the one-life modes, which makes them (again) absurdly easy.

e: it was initially lovely because those modes either didn't exist or didn't pop challenges, depending on what point in the game's life we're talking about, and the challenges that require you to actually "git gud" were loving awful as a result of that. but now you can just play funhaver mode and get them done there, so it's not so bad