Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nth Doctor posted:

Sorry about your friend living on the east side.

I mean, I'd live over there on SV wages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I mean, I'd live over there on SV wages

I do live on the east side but I wouldn't choose Roseville.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I do live on the east side but I wouldn't choose Roseville.

Didn't/don't you work in Ann Arbor?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Didn't/don't you work in Ann Arbor?

That's right. East side compared to GR but not Detroit or anything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That's right. East side compared to GR but not Detroit or anything.

Ahhh, ok. That's what I thought.

When I think East Side, I think of like really east side, like out past Grosse Pointe. But probably because I grew up in Detroit 'burbs, so Ypsi was "way out west" growing up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ypsi was "way out west" growing up.

lol

How have none of us SE Michigan computer touchers ever managed to arrange some kind of meet up? Would y'all be interested in grabbing a beer somewhere? I know there's a few more lurking around, I could try to loop them in.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sirotan posted:

lol

How have none of us SE Michigan computer touchers ever managed to arrange some kind of meet up? Would y'all be interested in grabbing a beer somewhere? I know there's a few more lurking around, I could try to loop them in.

Absolutely

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'd be in.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/robmanuel/status/1224383691549483010?s=20

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Had a good time with my ~50 users with MS Teams being down like half of the day today.

Just because desktop/web is down and it still works on my phone doesn''t mean blow me up :smith:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

*twitter*

If it had said 'It's not clear who wants to be a in group chat with 255 other people'...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Didn't MS forget to renew an SSL cert or something for teams earlier?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Yup. On the plus side, all of my meetings were cancelled yesterday because of it. So I'mma call that a win.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Those who can, do. Those who can't write articles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Heners_UK posted:

MS has a proud tradition of letting certificates for public facing services expire that dates back to the Hotmail days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell I remember when they straight up forgot to renew the passport.com domain.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mllaneza posted:

MS has a proud tradition of letting certificates for public facing services expire that dates back to the Hotmail days.

Hah hah hah! Stupid Microsoft! Hah!

*quietly checks expiration dates of certs*

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
God drat. I heard about it yesterday from our head of infra, but thought it was just us until I saw you all talking about it. Seemed to have been fixed by the time I woke up.

MS, this makes it harder for me to lure people onto Teams...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

xsf421 posted:

I'd be in.

Totally down for this

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nth Doctor posted:

Totally down for this

xsf421 posted:

I'd be in.

Sweet. How do you want to coordinate this? Email chain? Goon meets thread (lol)? I'm also on Telegram if anyone uses that.

Zorak of Michigan, you in?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Great, a SE MI meetup getting organized after I move to the NW part of the state.

Oh well - have fun!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

Great, a SE MI meetup getting organized after I move to the NW part of the state.

Oh well - have fun!

I'd be down for a ski meetup some time, too. Boyne's snow was poo poo when we were up last weekend because it was so warm.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I want to make new friends too :downs:

But I don't touch computers :smith:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Are you a SE Michigoon?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'd be down for a ski meetup some time, too. Boyne's snow was poo poo when we were up last weekend because it was so warm.

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to go down the longest ski run in Michigan? Over/under 20 seconds?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to go down the longest ski run in Michigan? Over/under 20 seconds?

Boyne Highlands has a trail longer than a mile. The "mountain" has one of similar length.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Are you a SE Michigoon?

I am, though I'm the automotive industry kind.

I mostly just love an excuse to get out and do stuff :D

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

totalnewbie posted:

Cars have computers, do you touch the computers that happen to be inside cars?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I'll allow it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

totalnewbie posted:

Story checks out.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Sweet. How do you want to coordinate this? Email chain? Goon meets thread (lol)? I'm also on Telegram if anyone uses that.

Zorak of Michigan, you in?

Despite having recently posted about how I love working from home because I don't have to interact with humans, hell yeah I'm in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Despite having recently posted about how I love working from home because I don't have to interact with humans, hell yeah I'm in.

Alright, y'all just email me at sirotan8 at gmail and I'll get a group email going for this. That goes for you too, totalnewbie.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kurieg posted:

Cars have computers, do you touch the computers that happen to be inside cars?

I actively avoid it because we have people that do that so I don't have to :D But I do look at the test results and those come from computers!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Story checks out.

Today, the IT department sent out our company logo for our new standard email signatures. Not sure why they don't just enforce it themselves because I'm pretty sure they can.

Apparently someone took a PSD and just renamed it PNG and called it a day. Had to google the file header to figure out what kind of file it really was so I could open it. I learned some things about file headers today.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I actively avoid it because we have people that do that so I don't have to :D But I do look at the test results and those come from computers!

Today, the IT department sent out our company logo for our new standard email signatures. Not sure why they don't just enforce it themselves because I'm pretty sure they can.

Apparently someone took a PSD and just renamed it PNG and called it a day. Had to google the file header to figure out what kind of file it really was so I could open it. I learned some things about file headers today.

Never change, automotive industry, never change.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I "converted" it

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Hey xsf421: How many years ago was the "We won't need a datacenter in 5 years!" speech again?

Asking for 44 physical servers that just arrived.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My experience is that if you don't need a datacenter anymore you just pay someone to take over your floorspace in the datacenter and host your VMs for you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

My experience is that if you don't need a datacenter anymore you just pay someone to take over your floorspace in the datacenter and host your VMs for you.

This speech was definitely more in the "We'll put EVERYTHING in AWS!" vein.

Forget about the huge crop of non-x86 gear that runs the core business platform that's exceptionally latency-sensitive and literally can't be put into AWS.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

This speech was definitely more in the "We'll put EVERYTHING in AWS!" vein.

Forget about the huge crop of non-x86 gear that runs the core business platform that's exceptionally latency-sensitive and literally can't be put into AWS.

Also the 14+TB at last count of client pifi that we’ll likely never move off site. I believe that speech was summer of 2017, and we’ve made amazing progress putting all new stuff in aws and pretending that the legacy stuff both doesn’t exist and isn’t important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Also the 14+TB at last count of client pifi that we’ll likely never move off site. I believe that speech was summer of 2017, and we’ve made amazing progress putting all new stuff in aws and pretending that the legacy stuff both doesn’t exist and isn’t important.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just turn it off for a bit and see how his bonus fares.