Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Segue posted:

I've been going through best-of-the-decade lists and man The Look of Silence and Faces Places would make an excellent double feature with their focus on reconstruction of reality, vision, and truth and relationships. One extremely upsetting, one extremely charming.

I'd put Act of Killing there too but I think watching it on the same day as Look of Silence may kill a normal person.

Anyone else have some good sad/happy thematic pairings? I think it's a great way to look at how similar themes can be so differently treated.

Inside Llewyn Davis and Magic Mike XXL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

YouTube TV works pretty well for live basketball and pro wrestling, which is just about all I use it for

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

feedmyleg posted:

Us is a loving mess. A mess with a lot of value, but let's not pretend it's some new indisputable classic.

The hell you say.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

drat, American Democracy owns

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Caucuses seem like a system dreamt up by children. I had never really paid attention to their specifics before, my state does an election instead.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 4, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

New Movie of the Month thread is up for February

Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love

Goddamn this movie's incredible.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What did it do this time?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ruddiger posted:

What did it do this time?

The Iowa caucus results are not being released tonight because the democrats made a lovely reporting app that resets when the phone screen locks

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Would Little Women work if I haven't read the book?

I actually just watched Little Women earlier today, without having read any of the books or seen any other adaptations. Literally went in blind, and I loved it. I had queued up the series that has Maya Hawke in it to watch a little while ago, but then I realized ehh, I'll just wait for the movie with Saoirse Ronan and Timothee Chalamet and I'm glad I did.

feedmyleg posted:

Us is a loving mess. A mess with a lot of value, but let's not pretend it's some new indisputable classic.

Us was one of the worst movies I saw in 2019—though to be fair, I didn't watch many new films in 2019. I spent more time revisiting my old favorites to end the decade. That said, I loved Get Out, and was super excited for Peele's followup featuring Lupita (:allears:), but honestly after watching Us, that was one of the rare moments where I've ever felt like I wasted my time watching something. The acting was good but the story was dumb, hot garbage and a huge let down overall.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Us was way too interested in explaining its backstory and making sure we got all the hints it had been dropping when those hints finally came back. It's a shame because the performances were fantastic all around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those last two posts are what it must be like in the teathered place

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The last two episodes of Chapo were very sweet in a We Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy way

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Us was the rare horror movie that had too much to say. It let its themes get in the way of its story and ends up only working on the level of metaphor. Just because it has some great performances doesn't make that not true.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't understand the consternation about Us, it's funny and cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Us is funny and cool AND has an ambitious script that sort of trips over itself that holds it back a bit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Goddamn this movie's incredible.

Post thoughts/remarks/experiences in the thread proper so more people watch and talk about it!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Iowa caucus results are not being released tonight because the democrats made a lovely reporting app that resets when the phone screen locks

The company that made the app is called Shadow, and both Biden and Pete pumped money into it, and apparently Robby Mook is involved with it. Mayor Pete is declaring victory but refusing to release his numbers, while the Bernie campaign has released numbers because they made their own app because they knew this kind of poo poo would happen. 🐀🐀🐀

Franchescanado posted:

Post thoughts/remarks/experiences in the thread proper so more people watch and talk about it!

I haven’t seen any Wong-Kar Wai, but the library has two copies of In The Mood For Love, hell yeah.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

New Movie of the Month thread is up for February

Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love

Speaking of cinematography.... My god, that film is exquisite. All of WKW's films are, but this is a stand-out.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Would Little Women work if I haven't read the book?

I haven't read the book and I loved the film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Saw Parasite in the theater last night. Absurdly excellent movie. Give everyone all the awards. The entire third act had me on the edge of my seat.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

axelblaze posted:

Us is funny and cool AND has an ambitious script that sort of trips over itself that holds it back a bit.

Yeah, I understand and appreciate the metaphor that the tethered are held back and appear barbaric and deranged as a result, but in actuality as perfectly intelligent and capable. It was a lack of resources and societal barriers that made them the real victims. But it just felt clunky in execution to me and the twist didn't quite land right for me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Us still has some primo scares and some drat fine performances, and more than anything else I’m glad Peele did something ambitious and weird and different as a follow-up to Get Out rather than just do a glamorized remake of Get Out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked Us, but I saw the twist coming like a mile away.

But I still enjoyed it a lot and it proved the old adage that if you can't enjoy a movie with a twist after knowing it, it wasn't a good movie to begin with.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like the high-minded bits in Peele movies but the actual horror elements don't do much for me. I like that Us is such a gigantic swing on both sides but it gave way too much screen time to the latter

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Franchescanado posted:

Do it, friend.

Awesome, going to take me a bit to get it going but just wanted to make sure I wasnt wasting my time!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

It's been something like 13 years since I've seen it, so I don't feel comfortable discussing it outside of general platitudes right now. I'm going to try to get the wife to watch it with me this week and will join in the conversation if we do.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gladiator 4K Extended Edition is a great lesson on why a large part of editing is reducing redundancy in the communication of information regarding character/plot.

While the individual scenes are interesting to see added in, all they do are repeat information or show development that is already strongly communicated by previous scenes or better revealed in later scenes.

A good example would be the added scene of Lucilla going to Senator Graccus house to expand the coup plot. In the scene, she delves into her motivation of protecting her son from Commodus and "living in a prison". This exact same sentient with almost identical dialogue is then repeated again in a later scene with Maximus. The previous scenes inclusion lessens the emotional impact of the information in the latter scene, rendering the development redundant because weve already seen her express it earlier.

One of the rare instances where I prefer the theatrical cut as its much more focused. A good case of "less is more"

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 4, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Then of course on the other end of the spectrum is Kingdom of Heaven, where the editing process somehow managed to cut out an entire subplot that you could argue is the emotional core of the whole movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Gladiator 4K Extended Edition is a great lesson on why a large part of editing is reducing redundancy in the communication of information regarding character/plot.

While the individual scenes are interesting to see added in, all they do are repeat information or show development that is already strongly communicated by previous scenes or better revealed in later scenes.

A good example would be the added scene of Lucilla going to Senator Graccus house to expand the coup plot. In the scene, she delves into her motivation of protecting her son from Commodus and "living in a prison". This exact same sentient with almost identical dialogue is then repeated again in a later scene with Maximus. The previous scenes inclusion lessens the emotional impact of the information in the latter scene, rendering the development redundant because weve already scene her express it earlier.

One of the rare instances where I prefer the theatrical cut as its much more focused. A good case of "less is more"

I almost always prefer the theatrical cut, aside from films that had extensive studio interference.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Then of course on the other end of the spectrum is Kingdom of Heaven, where the editing process somehow managed to cut out an entire subplot that you could argue is the emotional core of the whole movie.

Totally. Including that one, Ive watched a lot of DC/EEs recently that have definitely enhanced the movie but I was really surprised at how much the Gladiator one felt "off".

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched The Fellowship of the Ring a bunch in high school, the extended edition more than the original cut. Upon my recent rewatch, I realized I remembered all the theatrical bits but didn’t miss anything that was in the extended cut. Yeah, Gimli getting 3 strands of Galadriel’s hair is a fun goof but it wasn’t needed to move the story along.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the LOTR extended editions are really more about just spending some more time immersed in that world, the theatrical cuts aren't really missing anything from a plot perspective. The one exception that comes to mind is the flashback scene with Boromir and Faramir, which is actually pretty important to filling in Faramir's motivations and explaining why he makes the choices he does.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey folks, I’m a clerical worker that has experience working with controlled documents, navigating corporate hierarchies/communicating with executives and officers, and managing a database. I would love to find a job where I’d never have to answer a phone ever again. Any recommendations for direction?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Its a fun goof but also a huge turbo nerd reference to a story where before Galadriel came to Middle Earth, her creepy uncle was always asking her for a strand of her hair but she always refused.

Her giving Gimli 3 strands is a "huge deal" in context of that story but yeah its really not neccessary otherwise.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I almost always prefer the theatrical cut, aside from films that had extensive studio interference.

Agreed.

Good news, everyone! Rush Limbaugh has lung cancer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey folks, I’m a clerical worker that has experience working with controlled documents, navigating corporate hierarchies/communicating with executives and officers, and managing a database. I would love to find a job where I’d never have to answer a phone ever again. Any recommendations for direction?

I can't think of any jobs where you won't be answering a phone. That said, you can mitigate your phone use depending on the job. Do what I did. Leave a clerical job for social work! I don't get paid much, but it's the most fulfilling job I've had. Plus I get to spend most of my day driving around the greater Phoenix area.

Three more months until I finish up my masters program. Just three more months.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I just absolutely hate the extended version of Aliens. Completely ruins the pace of the film and adds nothing that is even slightly necessary. On the other hand Alien 3's assembly cut improves the film massively and the Alien director's cut is the same length as the normal film but with alternate scenes, which are both much better ways of doing alternate cuts imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens SE has one good scene, and im happy the blu ray has both so I can watch Aliens SE to see this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPItoMfPHLQ

and then jump back to the theatrical.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't think of any jobs where you won't be answering a phone. That said, you can mitigate your phone use depending on the job. Do what I did. Leave a clerical job for social work! I don't get paid much, but it's the most fulfilling job I've had. Plus I get to spend most of my day driving around the greater Phoenix area.

Three more months until I finish up my masters program. Just three more months.

I’m exaggerating a little. The truth is, talking on the phone is one of the things I find least pleasant in life. I don’t want to get too explicit about what I do for work, but I started in a call center and clawed my way up to a professional administrative position. However, staffing crises and an unwillingness to increase payroll for the call center has meant that I get busted back down to working there several days a week. I want to work somewhere that isn’t a call center, using the skills I’ve gained in that environment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea as someone who first saw Aliens as a kid and was just absolutely on the edge of my seat during those first scenes on LV-426 where the marines enter the colony, I really do hate the SE scene that shows Newt's parents getting facehugged. I know it seems like everyone who sees the movie knows what's gonna happen but that's really not the case. The full effect of that tension ratcheting up during the first third of the movie should be preserved for future kids who get to experience it without preconceptions like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

cargohills posted:

I just absolutely hate the extended version of Aliens.
What, you don't enjoy 75 additional minutes of the characters setting up turrets in a hallway?