Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, there was another $20 off when you ordered from Fossil so I bought a Gen 5 Carlyle HR Smoke Stainless Steel for $185 and it arrived today.

It's nice? I mean, it's certainly the best WearOS watch I've ever used. The 1gb of ram really helps it out a lot compared to the Fossil Sport. It's really well put together and is a nice size.

So, that's where I am right now, swapping between a Smoke Gen 5 and a Black (actually sort of blueish) Galaxy Watch Active 2 depending on if I want to dress up or down. I'm also more likely to use the Samsung watch if I'm on a trip or am going to be away from an outlet for a long period of time. It's funny, the Gen 5 charges a shitton faster than the Active, but the active will likely last nearly twice as long (I'll have to see what real world usage is like on the Gen 5.)

Off to swappa with my Fossil Sport. It kinda feels like a toy after the Gen 5 and the Galaxy Watch Active 2.

I still have my battery replaced Moto 360 2 kicking around, but I have that paired to one of my other phones so I have something to wear if I switch over to it for some reason.

This is probably as good as it's going to get in Android Wearable land unless Google gets their thumb out of their rear end and actually tries to make a decent watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a good thing you saved a whole $20 on the piece of garbage you don't liek!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I still like WearOS, I just think google is really fumbling the ball on pushing it to the next level.

The total sale was $110 off though. For $185 I think the Gen 5 is a decent watch if you are ok with WearOS's issues. The full price of $295 is just silly though and i couldn't recommend it at that price.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't like the iOS ecosystem but I do like my fiancees Apple Watch a whole lot. I just want a Wear equivalent ):

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Down to $169 which is, of course, annoying, but oh well.

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/12/08/best-fossil-gen-5-deal/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How's the battery life on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pretty typical for WearOS devices. With everything turned on (lift to wake, AOD, periodic heart rate at the lowest interval, GPS), you get about 16 hours of use depending on notification frequency/interaction with device before you get into the below 25% battery range. The wildcard here is the different battery modes that Fossil has baked in which likely have the potential to extend things quite a bit while still getting most of the functionality and I haven't had an opportunity to futz around with them yet.

This outlines all the different battery options so you can see how it would be difficult to get an overall battery rating on things since it can be very custom.
https://9to5google.com/2019/08/05/fossil-smart-battery-modes-wear-os/

Quite frankly, since I'm work from home 100%, I really don't get out enough to really get much opportunity to test battery life except on the weekends.

So, I don't think there's any new ground in battery life for this device at default, the saving grace comes in with the ability to extend things by turning stuff off in a granular fashion if you want. It looks like Extended mode has the ability to really stretch the life of the thing while keeping notifications running.

Though, for reference, the same level of functionality I stated above that gave me 16 hours of life (though with heat rate continuous instead of periodic) would yield between 36-40 hours life on the Galaxy Active Watch 2. The downside there being the charging is much slower and it will probably take double to 2.5 times to charge the watch from flat than the Fossil.

At the end of the day, both do what I really want a smartwatch to do for me. If I'm going to be away from the house/charging for more than 12 hours or if i'm doing something where I want to have physical activity tracked, I'm going to be putting on the Galaxy Active 2. If I'm just going out for the evening, I'll probably reach for the Gen 5.

The 1gb of ram makes a huge difference on the thing and I also wouldn't be surprised if it has faster storage. It is significantly less laggy than the Fossil Sport I have which also has the 3100 in it. Google Pay actually launches fairly quickly on it to the point where it's actually usable.

Basically, it's easily the only WearOS device you should buy and definitely the best it has ever been. The hardware itself is very nice. Fit and finish are good, display is great, all the buttons and knobs and stuff feel very nice to use. It's all about your priorities. If you want maximum battery life and best activity/fitness tracking but don't care as much about Google Assistant integration, then you should probably look at other options like the Galaxy Watches. If you want something stylish that will last you through the day getting notifications and Google Assistant use, this is the best it gets.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My fossil sport got an update and the battery seems to be lasting twice as long

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi everyone, I'm selling my TicWatch Pro, here's the thread. I'm pretty demanding about the performance of anything I interact with as much as a watch and I wanted something immediately responsive which I guess isn't how Wear OS is going right now. You can click the ? under my av to see my posts in this thread about my experiences with this watch. I'm selling it for pretty cheap I think. Thanks.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

for what it's worth, lately, not sure if updates solved it or whatever, but my ticwatch pro 4g has solved a major complaint of mine. previously, switching between bluetooth / wifi / lte has been awful. walk away from your phone, come back, and watch is still stuck on LTE. this is no longer the case, and it happily reconnects to bluetooth with no intervention. might be the android 10 update for my note 10+, but I don't know. besides that, turning off motion activation for the screen now results in me being at 80 percent battery at the end of the day, opposed to 50 if i'm lucky before then. I really like this watch now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

VelociBacon posted:

Hi everyone, I'm selling my TicWatch Pro, here's the thread. I'm pretty demanding about the performance of anything I interact with as much as a watch and I wanted something immediately responsive which I guess isn't how Wear OS is going right now. You can click the ? under my av to see my posts in this thread about my experiences with this watch. I'm selling it for pretty cheap I think. Thanks.

Looking at the Pro's specs, I want to pull the trigger on this so badly but its dimensions would look bulky on my wrist. Drat.

I'm feeling the limitations of my Amazfit Pace and would love a more feature-rich smartwatch to replace it (would prefer buttons, ability to reply to texts, Google Pay). Should I wait for the mythical Google-Fitbit-Pebble or is there something up my alley already?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Looking at the Pro's specs, I want to pull the trigger on this so badly but its dimensions would look bulky on my wrist. Drat.

I'm feeling the limitations of my Amazfit Pace and would love a more feature-rich smartwatch to replace it (would prefer buttons, ability to reply to texts, Google Pay). Should I wait for the mythical Google-Fitbit-Pebble or is there something up my alley already?

As someone with buttons, the ability to reply to texts, and Google Pay on my WearOS watch let me assure you that only one of those things is useful and even then half the time it's incredibly annoying. The other two are straight up garbage.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Quick query: fossil sport seems to be down to about £90 in the UK. Considering the Gen 5 is almost 3x the price, is there enough benefit to the new version to be worth it?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DO NOT get a Wear OS device that doesn't have 1GB of RAM

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MrNemo posted:

Quick query: fossil sport seems to be down to about £90 in the UK. Considering the Gen 5 is almost 3x the price, is there enough benefit to the new version to be worth it?

While I wouldn't say don't get one under any circumstances, the new ones are a lot better.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Rastor posted:

DO NOT get a Wear OS device that doesn't have 1GB of RAM

Look, I know technology has changed a lot and I wear an Apple Watch Series 5 with 1GB of RAM but I'm in my mid thirties and the idea of the minimum RAM requirements of a watch being 1GB will never not be funny to me.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Three Olives posted:

Look, I know technology has changed a lot and I wear an Apple Watch Series 5 with 1GB of RAM but I'm in my mid thirties and the idea of the minimum RAM requirements of a watch being 1GB will never not be funny to me.

Sometimes I wonder how fast old DOS era stuff can run when you can fit the entire program in the CPU cache. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I need some advice because I can't pick one of these things out for the life of me. I've got an LG Aristo phone (Yeah, the first one not a 2) and I just want to get a decent watch that I can use to put some podcasts on while I'm working but looking on Amazon the name of all of them just go on and on forever and I honestly have no idea what to pick. Since I'm not really planning on using it for anything besides making the work shift pass faster, I'm hoping to not go above $50. Is that possible?

I eventually ended up going with this thing but I have no idea if that was a good choice or not.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why would you want to out podcasts on a watch? I can see how it'd be useful if you're out running or something but at work you're better off using your phone.

Anyway I'm fairly sure that the one you linked won't do podcasts at all - you get the built in functionality mentioned (which may or may not work) and nothing else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dissss posted:

Why would you want to out podcasts on a watch? I can see how it'd be useful if you're out running or something but at work you're better off using your phone.

Anyway I'm fairly sure that the one you linked won't do podcasts at all - you get the built in functionality mentioned (which may or may not work) and nothing else.

Can't take the phone into work. This is the whole reason why I'm trying to get a smart watch now. One of my friends has one and that's what he's doing.

My plan is to just buy one and download the wear casts app onto it. But I can't figure out how much memory the thing has.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

RareAcumen posted:

Can't take the phone into work. This is the whole reason why I'm trying to get a smart watch now. One of my friends has one and that's what he's doing.

My plan is to just buy one and download the wear casts app onto it. But I can't figure out how much memory the thing has.

That's not a Wear OS watch though so you won't be able to download any Wear OS app to it.

The Fossil Sport was recently less than $100 so looking out for a sale on older Wear OS watches is going to be your best bet for not spending a lot of money unless you look at used watches.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Humerus posted:

That's not a Wear OS watch though so you won't be able to download any Wear OS app to it.

The Fossil Sport was recently less than $100 so looking out for a sale on older Wear OS watches is going to be your best bet for not spending a lot of money unless you look at used watches.

That's info I can use! Thanks a lot, now I know a little bit more what I should be looking for.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Am I going to regret springing for the 99 dollar Fossil Sport as my first smartwatch?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Am I going to regret springing for the 99 dollar Fossil Sport as my first smartwatch?

That's a pretty cheap test, if you don't like it you're barely out anything so I'd say no.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I have a sport and I like it

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Echophonic posted:

Better test than the Verizon Wear24 I got cheap. Was almost enough to turn me off of WearOS. The Fossil Gen5 I've got now is much better.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm reasonably impressed so far, after fighting with it over updates. Currently just trying to find apps that at worth putting on my wrist and messing with my settings and faces. Definitely can feel the RAM complaints, but I feel like once I'm not constantly loving with it, it'll be fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is a Fossil Gen 5 worth getting? I still have the LG Style and it's fine for what I use it for but the Gen 5 is down to $220 at Best Buy and they've got one left. It's got more bells and whistles and power under the hood than my current watch but is it actually worth it since my Style isn't dead?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Is a Fossil Gen 5 worth getting? I still have the LG Style and it's fine for what I use it for but the Gen 5 is down to $220 at Best Buy and they've got one left. It's got more bells and whistles and power under the hood than my current watch but is it actually worth it since my Style isn't dead?

Others in this thread have said it's the best Android Wear watch you can get right now because if the extra ram.

I just checked, and Amazon and Fossil.com also have it at that price.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Fossil.com is also running a valentine's day promotion to take another 30% off. Ends up being $150ish. Which is a fine price for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, anything under $200 is a decent price for the watch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wacky Delly posted:

Fossil.com is also running a valentine's day promotion to take another 30% off. Ends up being $150ish. Which is a fine price for it.

Well gently caress. I bought Best Buys last watch earlier today. I'll take the receipt back tomorrow and have them price match it down though

Edit: according to their website that promotion doesn't apply to the smartwatches

Len fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 10, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I just tried it on the site and it doesn't apply to the Carlyle. I'm honestly pretty well fine with the Sport for a hundred. I don't honestly think I need a speaker and all the poo poo I like about the watch isn't really RAM-intensive. I figure I can put that hundred bucks into my new phone later this year.

Any particularly cool apps I might not have found yet? I ended up swapping to Dark Sky from Arcus just because it had a watch app and will hopefully get a Tile at some point. Dicked around with Bubble Launcher, but found it kind of disorienting to configure. Only real disappointment so far is it being kind of a pain to deal with Messenger or SMS on it, wish I could easily start messages without needing an active notification. Would be a better experience if I used one of the ones that had a Wear OS app, naturally.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 11, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Shame, $150 is right around where I'd pull the trigger for the Gen 5. I've given up hope waiting for the white whale that is the all around best wear OS device.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

couldcareless posted:

Shame, $150 is right around where I'd pull the trigger for the Gen 5. I've given up hope waiting for the white whale that is the all around best wear OS device.

The Fossil Sport watch I'm getting at is like $275 normally but the price is dropped to $100 right now so maybe get that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

The Fossil Sport watch I'm getting at is like $275 normally but the price is dropped to $100 right now so maybe get that?

The 5G has twice the RAM of the Sport which is said to make a big difference. Considering the rate that the price of these watches falls, it's silly to not get the significantly improved version.

Echophonic posted:

Any particularly cool apps I might not have found yet? I ended up swapping to Dark Sky from Arcus just because it had a watch app and will hopefully get a Tile at some point. Dicked around with Bubble Launcher, but found it kind of disorienting to configure. Only real disappointment so far is it being kind of a pain to deal with Messenger or SMS on it, wish I could easily start messages without needing an active notification. Would be a better experience if I used one of the ones that had a Wear OS app, naturally.

For watchfaces I'd say it's difficult to beat Pujie Black. Aside from the Google apps that everyone uses on their watch like Maps and Messages, my only third party apps I have are Dark Sky, OurGroceries, and Authenticator+.

I don't think third party apps are allowed to make tiles.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I also use Authenticator+, little annoying it doesn't sync custom icons. I've really been liking Twelvish, since for some reason it's easier for me to read and retain when I check the time.

I thought apps could do tiles, it's just not part of the API. Seems like there's a decent amount that can. I know Bubble Launcher has one to put a cluster on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I also use Authenticator+, little annoying it doesn't sync custom icons. I've really been liking Twelvish, since for some reason it's easier for me to read and retain when I check the time.

I thought apps could do tiles, it's just not part of the API. Seems like there's a decent amount that can. I know Bubble Launcher has one to put a cluster on.

I *think* and I could be wrong, that a launcher replacement can do whatever it wants but if you're using the standard Wear OS thing with the selectable tiles to the right, that doesn't have an API. I know someone cobbled together one that allows third party apps to use it (here's the guy) but obviously no one's taking advantage of something that may disappear at any moment.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I just got my fossil gen 5. drat does 1GB of ram make a huge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just got my fossil gen 5. drat does 1GB of ram make a huge difference.

Yeah, the battery life is a lot better than my style too

All those people who told me in the thread "yeah but you won't get that battery life in a year" called it. Around a year and half it went to poo poo and stopped lasting 24 hours