Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Monathin posted:

I'm laying down right now but I'll be up with plenty of time before deadline. Obviously I will switch to either of my main picks as needed and also consider other cases should they crop up when I wake up.

wow jinx much??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
There's not a lot to read into thus far as is usual for D1, but I agree bminus' me too vote on Hal felt more convenient than genuine (gut feels).

I don't think wins' reasoning was bad on their Hal vote (not sure that I agree it looks like scum Hal, but I think wins' logic makes me feel like wins is probably town)

But yeah, something feels weird about bminus' Hal vote imo

##vote beenus

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Dick Bastardly posted:

There's not a lot to read into thus far as is usual for D1, but I agree bminus' me too vote on Hal felt more convenient than genuine (gut feels).

I don't think wins' reasoning was bad on their Hal vote (not sure that I agree it looks like scum Hal, but I think wins' logic makes me feel like wins is probably town)

##vote beenus

Gtfo
##unvote
##vote db

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

##vote beenus

What "feels weird" about it?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

b-minus1 posted:

Gtfo
##unvote
##vote db

So far you've OMGUSed twice now today. Do you have an actual case on DB?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I’m in and out of meetings most of the day today but will be checking in when possible. I’m still happy with my vote on chores for now but am open to reviewing other cases- I’ve skimmed but want to reread the last 20 or so posts that I haven’t digested fully yet.

Nearly every one of the last 20 posts is a one liner. What haven't you digested?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

wins32767 posted:

What "feels weird" about it?

wins32767 posted:

So far you've OMGUSed twice now today. Do you have an actual case on DB?

notice a pattern?

it feels weird

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
weird

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Well my merk case was completely ignored. I don’t want to die, so whatever, I omgus voted. Who cares

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

b-minus1 posted:

Well my merk case was completely ignored. I don’t want to die, so whatever, I omgus voted. Who cares

Feel solid on my vote

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Feel solid on my vote

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

notice a pattern?

it feels weird

So you think his OMGUS is scummy and that's the reason you're voting him?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

notice a pattern?

it feels weird

I mean fundamentally you're supposed to be trying to convince people to agree with you. "Feels weird" doesn't give people a lot to hang off of. The fact that you're voting the other person who might get hung with a "feels weird" case isn't doing a lot to convince anyone to go elsewhere.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

b-minus1 posted:

Let's be clear, your merk case is contigent on an assumption about another, unflipped person's alignment. If Hal flips town at some point, it's worth engaging with. Can you make a better case on merk (or a case on someone else)?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Just so everyone knows I won't be around for the deadline. I'm old and I have to go to work tomorrow.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Fisk even remotely playing on d1 is out of character for his town game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

wins32767 posted:

Nearly every one of the last 20 posts is a one liner. What haven't you digested?

20 was a rough number, I mainly wanted to look more into these posts I skimmed this morning:

Monathin posted:

Ok this is gonna be a little truncated (I have class in an hour and some light reading to finish) but here's some quick casework to satisfy Merk:

You already pointed out Hal's weird interaction later on but this was right at the start. While, yes, there's a thin veneer of jokephase over the comment it still reads as weirdly forced. If Hal wanted to be jokey he coulda just voted one of myself or Merk out and out, instead it reads as this light shade Hal can either back off of 'as a joke' or revisit more seriously later to try and build a case.

re: wins vs binus, binus throws out a vote on Hal after wins cases Hal, wins immediately turns on binus to call him scummy. Don't really think anyone's scum in that interaction (and I usually have a good meta read on binus, imho), so I'm not sure if there's anything more there I can say that hasn't already been said.

I emptyquoted the 'bruh' chores said in response to this, but Fisk kind of just throws this out here, doesn't really back it up, and then follows up with light shade on binus countervote on wins. I think Fisk actually looks the shadiest here (though I'm biased and usually assume Fisk is scum until proven otherwise) because it's kind of in the same vein as the thing you threw shade on Hal for: an empty +1. Fisk has a few other posts in thread that also make me feel like they're devoid of content. Which, I'm aware, is pot calling the kettle black given I haven't really started digging into the game until just now, but it feels weirder coming from Fisk, imo.

Regarding Chores and the possibility of NL I think I fall on the side of "town should always try and axe someone because it is their only way of removing scum". I don't think Chores is scummy for it though.

Scum picks right now: Hal, Fisk
Town picks: binus, wins, chores

Hal Incandenza posted:

I don't have a particularly strong read anywhere yet, merk definitely a little suss for reasons I mentioned to me but he also stated earlier that he was going to drive content. Mona case on me and fisk felt like working backwards in both cases, so also not a good look, but those two are also the only two who have done much casing other than a bit from you so it feels wrong to list both them.

of everyone else, DB maybe, he's jumped in a lot to ask other people who they think are scum and make side comments but hasn't offered anything of substance. IS I think has been really strong thus far and I have a good town read on them. Null on almost everyone else at this point.

I'll ##vote DB for the time being but now I really have put suspicion on merk and mona that I may revisit more seriously later

Re: the Mona case on Hal, it seemed very clear to me that Hal’s first post naming merk and Mona was a joke given neither had posted yet. I’m not quite sure why Mona didn’t pick up on that.

I would be interested to hear more from Mona about which other posts from Fisk pinged them. I’ve admittedly not gone back to look myself as I’m on mobile between meetings, so apologies in advance if it’s blindingly obvious.

Re: Hal’s post, I saw he flagged DB as similarly not offering anything of substance and I also want to go back and look at that when I have time (unless Hal has time to elaborate first).

I probably won’t be back in thread much for the next 2 hours or so but will hopefully be around after that. Reminder that Ecco-deadlines generally aren’t to-the-minute so we have have a little extra time, but I’d still rather have consensus early if we can.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

wins32767 posted:

Just so everyone knows I won't be around for the deadline. I'm old and I have to go to work tomorrow.

i took work off tomorrow just so i can nl at dl

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

wins32767 posted:

Let's be clear, your merk case is contigent on an assumption about another, unflipped person's alignment. If Hal flips town at some point, it's worth engaging with. Can you make a better case on merk (or a case on someone else)?

it's day one ffs. wtf do you want from me? sure let me see if i can improve this case with all the content we have. I've put in more effort than most have so far, except for maybe mona.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

wins32767 posted:

So you think his OMGUS is scummy and that's the reason you're voting him?

more so the "me too"ing on the first vote and the lack of clear reasoning (other than omgus) on the vote on me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

it's day one ffs. wtf do you want from me? sure let me see if i can improve this case with all the content we have. I've put in more effort than most have so far, except for maybe mona.

b- I want you to know that I agreed with your case

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

b-minus1 posted:

Honestly, I'd like to see you generate more content so you can make a better case. That's what the annoying poo poo I'm doing is attempting to do.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

wins32767 posted:

I mean fundamentally you're supposed to be trying to convince people to agree with you. "Feels weird" doesn't give people a lot to hang off of. The fact that you're voting the other person who might get hung with a "feels weird" case isn't doing a lot to convince anyone to go elsewhere.

This is a good point. I think bminus is scum because this is how I remember scum bminus behaving in games past.

Meta arguments are trash but it's the best I've got in early game.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Feel solid on my vote

Who besides bminus do you think is scum and why?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

got some chores tonight posted:

i took work off tomorrow just so i can nl at dl

A) Why should we NL?
B) Assuming that we don't NL (which seems highly likely) who do you think we should hang?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Who besides bminus do you think is scum and why?

I don't have any reads other than that at this point. I'd like to see it through and think more in context of the flip.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don't have any reads other than that at this point. I'd like to see it through and think more in context of the flip.

So you liked my reasoning on Hal, but you don't have a read on either of us?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don’t have a scum read, rather. I think you’re towny.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

wins32767 posted:

A) Why should we NL?
B) Assuming that we don't NL (which seems highly likely) who do you think we should hang?

pass

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

actually ill engage in d1 like 1% we should probably just lynch dickbastardly im 85% sure that is good for town

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

or just nl d1, d2 to make the game more exciting

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

got some chores tonight posted:

actually ill engage in d1 like 1% we should probably just lynch dickbastardly im 85% sure that is good for town

i'm 85% sure that Oh My God You Suck!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

i'm 85% sure that Oh My God You Suck!

sorry man, but you do

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Re: Hal’s post, I saw he flagged DB as similarly not offering anything of substance and I also want to go back and look at that when I have time (unless Hal has time to elaborate first).

Went back to look at this- Dick hasn’t provided a lot but he’s provided more than chores and frankly more than Fisk, too.

I still like the chores vote but would happily switch to Fisk as well given that neither has provided much of anything for town to go off of.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I didn’t re-quote Mona or myself but I did go back and look at Fisk and as mentioned don’t see much there. I don’t have the meta-read Mona seems to in terms of “feels weirder coming from Fisk” but neither of Fisk or Chores seem invested in the game or in hunting scum to any appreciable degree.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Good evening.

IllegallySober posted:

Re: the Mona case on Hal, it seemed very clear to me that Hals first post naming merk and Mona was a joke given neither had posted yet. Im not quite sure why Mona didnt pick up on that.

I think people are misunderstanding why that posts pinged me.

Yes, it was a 'joke'. But it was a joke that Hal could have easily revisited in order to shape into some sort of case if he decided he needed to push for me or merk today. It feels more like leaving something out there that he could then go back to, in order to provide some false consistency. It might be a joke, yes, but it was something that gives Hal a free safety net to go "well, actually-" which is inherently scummy. Did he do that? No, because it turned out to not be needed based on how d1 shook out, but the fact that he put it out there like that as something he could revisit sticks out to me as odd.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If it's coming down to Fisk vs binus, I'm going to stick with my vote on Fisk. binus' reactions don't read as scum to me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh I had to check votefinder again and it's actually DickyB vs binus, hmm

I'm not actually a huge fan of that.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Monathin posted:

Good evening.

I think people are misunderstanding why that posts pinged me.

Yes, it was a 'joke'. But it was a joke that Hal could have easily revisited in order to shape into some sort of case if he decided he needed to push for me or merk today. It feels more like leaving something out there that he could then go back to, in order to provide some false consistency. It might be a joke, yes, but it was something that gives Hal a free safety net to go "well, actually-" which is inherently scummy. Did he do that? No, because it turned out to not be needed based on how d1 shook out, but the fact that he put it out there like that as something he could revisit sticks out to me as odd.

I guess my question in response to you would be this: if he did indeed go back to it later to try to push a case, would you and/or others (like myself) not have immediately pointed out that the post was made before either of you posted?

I feel like that would have come out pretty quickly and would have been just as scummy, if not more so, as what you’re saying. I DO see the potential for it, but given the lack of circling back to it and given the (relative) engagement with D1 Hal’s had, are there other reasons I should be looking at to think Hal is scum, or mainly this?

Also, can I get your thoughts on Chores? I feel like I’m the only one who sees the NL push in a small game as exceptionally scummy and I’d like a second opinion from you (or others, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

IllegallySober posted:

I guess my question in response to you would be this: if he did indeed go back to it later to try to push a case, would you and/or others (like myself) not have immediately pointed out that the post was made before either of you posted?

I feel like that would have come out pretty quickly and would have been just as scummy, if not more so, as what youre saying. I DO see the potential for it, but given the lack of circling back to it and given the (relative) engagement with D1 Hals had, are there other reasons I should be looking at to think Hal is scum, or mainly this?

Also, can I get your thoughts on Chores? I feel like Im the only one who sees the NL push in a small game as exceptionally scummy and Id like a second opinion from you (or others, too).

It was obviously meant to be concurrent with merk's case about Hal's awkwardness during d1. I'd like to point out that Hal's participation in the game has been largely defensive in nature without any real scumhunting. Their main casework is that merk and I fabricated cases on them or worked backwards? I guess if you don't see merk's case as legitimate there's little reason to think I have anything going on here, too.

I don't have a good read on chores. Advocating a d1 NL is probably not a pro-town move but I think that leans more towards differences in Mafia theory than it does on actual scummy behavior on Chores. Hard to say.