Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dik Hz posted:

Did you read the part at the end where he has a long history of scamming people? Do you still trust all those numbers?

I kinda scanned the death threats and yelling from the dude alleging the scam stuff and stopped reading, so no.

I mean, if this is a completely fictional scam (which seems possible to likely), then I'd imagine it's something you could report to the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I almost feel sorry for the guys who created this Kickstarter. Going by those financials, they're $30K or so in debt, and the didn't even pay themselves wages. Also they massively gambled on a product they hadn't even tested properly (but were happy to spend half the money they raised on marketing for).

I almost feel sorry. It's pretty solid BWM all around though.

"Sorry guys, here's our totally legit numbers to show we have no money."
"Are these figures audited or anything?"
"Sorry, what did you say, can't hear you over the sound of the new $195k boat I just bought"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Should I file for bankruptcy

OP posted:

Total debts: 500,000+ Yearly income: $40,000

Medical school debt: $333,284 (flunked out of medical school. Work in an office position now) of this, $100,000 from private undergrad loans and the rest from St George University

Speedy Cash loan sharks; $10,000+

Medical: $25,384

Car: 32,500

Personal loan: $15,000

Credit cards: $65,000 (failed business)

Owed to friends/family: $10,000+

Should I just file for bankruptcy? I have turned to booze

quote:

Also, if you're actually for real with that post history, seek treatment ASAP.

OP posted:

I have paranormal encounters. Do not violate my privacy and bring up my paranormal encounters here, rear end in a top hat!

OPs post history is definitely a weird rabbit hole to go down. And, yes, in case you’re wondering, St. George University is a med school in the Caribbean that’s notorious for charging a fuckton of money as a backup school for people who really want to be a doctor because they feel the calling of medicine want to make lots of money but are too dumb to get into mainland US med schools.

I have actually seen one doctor in my line of work with a St. George University MD that seemed pretty capable. Just one. I’ve been asked for job recommendations by several others

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cacafuego posted:

Should I file for bankruptcy

OPs post history is definitely a weird rabbit hole to go down. And, yes, in case you’re wondering, St. George University is a med school in the Caribbean that’s notorious for charging a fuckton of money as a backup school for people who really want to be a doctor because they feel the calling of medicine want to make lots of money but are too dumb to get into mainland US med schools.

I have actually seen one doctor in my line of work with a St. George University MD that seemed pretty capable. Just one. I’ve been asked for job recommendations by several others

How does that work? I thought that if your school isn't in the US the degree doesn't apply?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Volmarias posted:

How does that work? I thought that if your school isn't in the US the degree doesn't apply?

It can; graduates of medical schools from outside the US and Canada can practice medicine in the US if they complete a residency program and pass certain exams.

Competition for those residency programs is intense. Basically, in a given year, there are about as many open US residency slots as there are US med school graduates, as an intentional policy. Those US grads get priority. Everybody else gets to fight over the scraps of what's left.

The picture for Caribbean med school students intending to practice in the US is not pretty. First of all, those schools have to keep up a reputation for graduating reasonably knowledgeable students even with their loose acceptance standards. They do that by aggressively kicking out underperforming students. No tuition refunds, of course.

The ones who make it through still have to match into a residency, and as mentioned, the odds are stacked against them. Even the students who get to graduation can end up with mid six figures in debt and an MD that they can't use for clinical practice. There are still jobs you can get with just an MD - but they tend to make a lot less than practicing physicians, and the debt load remains the same.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm the $65,000 on credit cards for "Starting a business"

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

I mean, if this is a completely fictional scam (which seems possible to likely), then I'd imagine it's something you could report to the cops.

https://youtu.be/Y3i6Jb7K4O4

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nocheez posted:

Kickstarters are the dumbest with money, ever. Just buy poo poo at the store like normal.

I have backed a few projects and I have been good with them. I think it is more about what you are backing. I am pretty sure almost no board game will be made anymore without a kickstarter (just look at the guys who made Exploding Kittens, they have done a number of games since despite definitely having the money to just make a game, target carries the taco throw game they just made via Kickstarter). Most of those games completely suck though. So you are right, just wait and see if they get funded. If it is any good the thing will be available at a regular store shortly after.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean that's an exaggeration, plenty of games still go the traditional publisher route, but yeah a whole lot do ks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Iirc Boardgames have the highest reliability when it comes to delivery rate of all things on Kickstarter

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I backed a fancy beer growler, but it took so long to actually receive my growler that by the time it came, most breweries had crowlers (any beer on tap, freshly canned into a 32oz can) and I barely used it. Of course for around two years before I received my growler for backing them, you could just pay a little bit more and get one off of their web page. My rule now is any interesting kickstarter will eventually become a product you can purchase for not much more than backing it would cost, but with minimal risk of not receiving anything.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

silvergoose posted:

I mean that's an exaggeration, plenty of games still go the traditional publisher route, but yeah a whole lot do ks.

You are probably right but it seems like every big game (and a lot of crap ones) I have seen/played recently go the KS route.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kickstarter isn't enough to pay the chinese peeps to make whatever, so it's a way to induce actual investors to fork over like, 100's of k's or millions to start the actual stuff in shenzhen or whereever, by proving demand

so they can sort of plow you over when they get investment and do whatever for your fulfillment

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kickstarter isn't enough to pay the chinese peeps to make whatever, so it's a way to induce actual investors to fork over like, 100's of k's or millions to start the actual stuff in shenzhen or whereever, by proving demand

so they can sort of plow you over when they get investment and do whatever for your fulfillment

Yeah it's p much this

I have a firm "no inventions" rule for Kickstarter. By and large, these people don't have a single clue what they're doing business wise, and they have a super cool idea for a brand new product but they couldn't find a real investor to put any money on it. Invariably it's because it's a poo poo idea, they're missing vital steps on their road to production (lmbo @ 'we tried doors in a couple of adjacent states it seemed fine'), or they're missing contacts/the network that could put them in touch with people with money. If it's the last case, it means if anything goes wrong at all (and it will, because they have no one showing them the ropes), there will certainly be no deliverables.

I would much rather just buy the thing at full price if it hits the market (or not at all!) than pay someone to write long-winded sob stories about their personal journey on the road to discovery about how Chinese prototypes actually cost money, and like, it turns out we didn't know how much we needed and also we spent a bunch of it on stupid poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they also used to give you like 2 years common courtesy till they made the knockoff, then it became 1 year, then 6 months, 3 months and then nothing. solid chance of the IP just getting stolen immediately nowadays. have to already have peeps in shenzhen who you can trust to not make a knockoff, which is really hard

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah it's p much this

I have a firm "no inventions" rule for Kickstarter. By and large, these people don't have a single clue what they're doing business wise, and they have a super cool idea for a brand new product but they couldn't find a real investor to put any money on it. Invariably it's because it's a poo poo idea, they're missing vital steps on their road to production (lmbo @ 'we tried doors in a couple of adjacent states it seemed fine'), or they're missing contacts/the network that could put them in touch with people with money. If it's the last case, it means if anything goes wrong at all (and it will, because they have no one showing them the ropes), there will certainly be no deliverables.

I would much rather just buy the thing at full price if it hits the market (or not at all!) than pay someone to write long-winded sob stories about their personal journey on the road to discovery about how Chinese prototypes actually cost money, and like, it turns out we didn't know how much we needed and also we spent a bunch of it on stupid poo poo.
China isn't even cheap labor anymore. The plants are well capitalized and salaries are in the 5 figures. A Chinese worker is making roughly half to a third what a factory worker in the rural south of the USA is making. Inventors that don't budget for Chinese labor and production are doomed to fail.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My Kickstarter success story is a coffee mug that's supposed to keep your coffee at the ideal temperature.

It got delivered years late and leaked.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can you not say it was served cold

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alan Smithee posted:

Can you not say it was served cold

I'm not sure the coffee leaked out before I could drink it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Smart move is to put the description on kickstarter, hype the poo poo out of it, wait for the chinese company to make a knock-off, then sell the knock-off to your backers for a huge profit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

Smart move is to put the description on kickstarter, hype the poo poo out of it, wait for the chinese company to make a knock-off, then sell the knock-off to your backers for a huge profit.

Why wait for the middleman

Be the middle man and sell alibaba crap on Kickstarter

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Alan Smithee posted:

Why wait for the middleman

Be the middle man and sell alibaba crap on Kickstarter

Clever idea!

Would make a change from selling it on Etsy as 'handcrafted, custom jewellery'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I can’t take credit. It’s absolutely a thing. Find a cheap drone/phone wallet/calorie counter necklace on Ali and then hire a camera man with a 5d mk ii and a tall white millennial with a Portland techbros beard to say a few thing or two about disrupting the big two giants and boom instant 6 figures guaranteed

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
let's not forget the business model of just plain drop-shipping things from Amazon that you sold via your Ebay store. I hear this can be fairly lucrative (as long as you're not the original Amazon seller, in which case it can tank your business).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is drop shipping still viable if you find the right niche? I remember reading about that stuff like 6-7 years ago (and I was late to the bus) but it's gotta be even harder now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Is drop shipping still viable if you find the right niche? I remember reading about that stuff like 6-7 years ago (and I was late to the bus) but it's gotta be even harder now.

Same question but for amazon erotica

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

I saw a YouTube video about someone who dug into that stuff. Turns out a lot of it is credit card fraud. You buy something on eBay for half price, the seller uses a stolen credit card to drop ship the item, and pockets your money from eBay. The woman giving the presentation tried to report the issue, but the companies either made it impossible to report (automated systems without proper options) or they didn’t care (already priced into the system).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Orvin posted:

I saw a YouTube video about someone who dug into that stuff. Turns out a lot of it is credit card fraud. You buy something on eBay for half price, the seller uses a stolen credit card to drop ship the item, and pockets your money from eBay. The woman giving the presentation tried to report the issue, but the companies either made it impossible to report (automated systems without proper options) or they didn’t care (already priced into the system).

Oh poo poo so I could be getting things for cheap? I assumed they were knockoffs. Although I guess that raises my own possibility of having my info jacked.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

StormDrain posted:

Oh poo poo so I could be getting things for cheap? I assumed they were knockoffs. Although I guess that raises my own possibility of having my info jacked.

This is probably the video Orvin was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IT2oAzTcvU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I always thought the whole scam was just getting normal things off Amazon, marking them up, and then listing them on ebay, because the kind of people who actually buy non-specialty things from ebay just make the assumption that if it's on ebay, then it must be going for less than retail.

edit:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/09/14/493810206/episode-724-cat-scam
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/03/13/703014256/episode-724-cat-scam
https://www.npr.org/transcripts/493810206

literally all the same story but somehow different dates/links (last one is a full transcript).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 5, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Alan Smithee posted:

Iirc Boardgames have the highest reliability when it comes to delivery rate of all things on Kickstarter

That's because it's nearly impossible to get funded as a boardgame kickstarter without respectable draft rulebook. Boardgame manufacturing isn't effortless, but it's a solved problem that does not require any radical innovation. So boardgames, on average, come into kickstarter far closer to the finished product than most other catagories.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DaveSauce posted:

I always thought the whole scam was just getting normal things off Amazon, marking them up, and then listing them on ebay, because the kind of people who actually buy non-specialty things from ebay just make the assumption that if it's on ebay, then it must be going for less than retail.

edit:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/09/14/493810206/episode-724-cat-scam
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/03/13/703014256/episode-724-cat-scam
https://www.npr.org/transcripts/493810206

literally all the same story but somehow different dates/links (last one is a full transcript).

I mean, I've also been seeing specialty things on Amazon (in Canada) being listed for up to double their retail price. Presumably they rely on people making a similar assumption.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

I mean, I've also been seeing specialty things on Amazon (in Canada) being listed for up to double their retail price. Presumably they rely on people making a similar assumption.

yeah Amazon is kind of a cesspool lately. It's all individual stores that have spotty QC and are littered with knockoffs and fake reviews.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
(NY) What should I expect with child support as a known sperm donor? I am *not* anonymous, and I went thru an alternative website for free donors. Recipient in FL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/ez44gu/ny_what_should_i_expect_with_child_support_as_a/

quote:

Hi. I posted a different question about the same topic of sperm donors before. I am on an alternative website for free sperm donors and recipients, some of whom co-parent. I am worried about child support.

I my sperm to almost all recipients. Some recipients were couples intending to parent together, two of whom are lesbian couples with contracts saying no child support and no rights nor visitation (both of which we both have copies signed by both of us, tho not notarized). Some other couples and single women said that they agree to no child support and I screen-shotted tho they might change their minds. I am 24 and one of the women is 30 and in Florida and twice said no child support but will let me co-parent and asked me to help with naming and will visit during pregnancy, to give birth, and a few minutes after the birth, and has been flirting with me. We suspect that that she became pregnant with my zygote more than two weeks ago as her HCG is gradually testing positive and she missed her period by two days. She is okay with a DNA test.

I am just wondering...how do I avoid or reduce child support in case she or anyone did change their mind? I think in NY it is 25% of salary for one kid, and it is imputed income if I am a student. I already have a double Bachelor’s Degree but I want another double Bachelor’s Degree in a year and then then a Master’s Degree and doctorate on assistantships. Judges might wait for child support but charge interest if I can prove that the education will cause me to earn more in a few years or it will benefit society to outweigh the child’s interest, especially if the child is younger. I am a part-time custodian and in a subsidized apartment with food stamps and I bike. After using both double Bachelor’s Degrees together with my Master’s Degree and doctorate, I want to benefit society with my theses and publications. Graduate education is full-time at 9 credits and only 30 credits, so I can complete it in a year if all calendar year. I also expect raises at my job. Graduate programs are also more accommodating for parents with day care and absence. She is temporarily unemployed and beginning college with CLEP exams. I am just wondering, how can I avoid child support? I want a DNA test but I do not know how to do the birth certificate. How long does court take and can she and I get public defenders if it is civil? Can I tell her about SNAP, Medicaid, and TANF or get a good attorney to make a settlement?

Jesus Christ.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lockback posted:

(NY) What should I expect with child support as a known sperm donor? I am *not* anonymous, and I went thru an alternative website for free donors. Recipient in FL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/ez44gu/ny_what_should_i_expect_with_child_support_as_a/

Jesus Christ.

:airquote: alternative website for free donors

fetlife dot com slash findom

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/qz/status/1225135645900697600?s=20

quote:

The self-styled “Kryp+0 K!ng” and his business partner defrauded more than 100 investors, including former professional baseball players, out of at least $7.5 million over the past 18 months, according to a complaint filed in Arizona federal court last week.

quote:

The US Secret Service arrested John Michael Caruso on Jan. 30. Caruso is the founder of Zima Digital Assets, a blockchain and cryptocurrency investment firm, and has dubbed himself the “Michael Jordan of algorithmic cryptocurrency trading.” Authorities arrested Zachary Salter, an aspiring R&B singer who co-founded Zima with Caruso, the same day.

The Michael Jordan of Baseball

quote:

Most of the money Caruso and Salter took from their customers went not into investments but toward funding their opulent lifestyles, prosecutors say. They each lived in mansions valued at about $9 million. Caruso is the registered owner of a 2019 Lamborghini Urus, and over the last two years spent at least $350,000 to rent, among other luxury vehicles, a Rolls Royce, a Ferrari, and an Aston Martin. Caruso, who also flew to London, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Hawaii, Cabo San Lucas and Aruba aboard private jets over the past two years, and has taken about 30 trips to Las Vegas, where he lost more than $1.4 million gambling in a 13-month period.

quote:

Salter, meanwhile, describes himself as “a serial entrepreneur” who has interests in the aviation and automotive industries.

“I’ve known since I was young that I wanted to make a positive impact,” he said in a Q&A with Entrepreneur magazine last June. “My mantra is ‘Gold Intentions,’ which I got as a tattoo when I dropped out of college at 20 years old.”

Salter, who reported no income at all in 2018, lived just as lavishly as Caruso. He owns two Mercedes, a BMW, an Audi, and a 1957 Chevy, which he flaunted online. Court documents point to Instagram posts as evidence of their lifestyle.

“Some other relevant Instagram photos include a posting dated August 1, 2018, in which a woman posted a photograph with her posing next to a newer model white BMW sedan with a red gift bow on it thanking her boyfriend, Salter, for surprising her with a new car,” the complaint says. “On May 12, 2019, Salter posted on Instagram that he purchased a new car for his mother on Mother’s Day with a photo of her standing near a newer model Mercedes. Also posted on Instagram was a video in which Salter is laughing with Caruso about Caruso damaging ‘another one’ of his Ferraris with the video focused on the scraped rear bumper of a Ferrari.”

quote:

Caruso has spent time in jail before. He was found guilty of threatening to cut off a man’s hands and genitals in a $200,000 extortion scheme he carried out with his father.

"HOWARD HOWARD HOWARD"

"this is how I win"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lockback posted:

Jesus Christ.

Hoooooly poo poo I think I'm having a mild panic attack over how hosed this guy can be.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Hoooooly poo poo I think I'm having a mild panic attack over how hosed this guy can be.

Lemme check real quick

"O wise crystal ball, will this dude get a PhD and go on to work in academia?"

Huh that's weird it says "... he'll definitely work in a school..."

Nice, good for him. Wait, are those children? Why's he have a bucket of sawdust and a broom?

E:

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/qz/status/1225135645900697600?s=20

The Michael Jordan of Baseball

"HOWARD HOWARD HOWARD"

"this is how I win"

TYS I'm the "gold intentions" tattoo

Maybe we should get some bets going on whether he goes back to prison for the fraud or the obvious tax evasion?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 6, 2020

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Lockback posted:

I can't even process this ridiculousness. Do people really lead these kind of oblivious lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, he wants to do two double bachelors, a masters and a PhD? That's the BWM part, right?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 6, 2020