Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, see Ivan the Terrible, Part II

Saw Jesus Christ Superstar. I enjoyed it very much. Interesting take to view the events from Judas' point of view. Music was good, singers were very talented. Liked the sudden changes in mood and the anachronistic elements. Very funny. Also very '70's which I really enjoyed.

My List:
Fort Apache - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

Sideways - My mom disliked this movie, but I'll give it a shot.

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.

Our Hospitality - Another Buster Keaton movie.

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director. OLDEST

Transformers: The Movie - Taking a break from Studio Ghibli. Not the Michael Bay movies. The animated movie from the 80's.

Camelot - NEWEST

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

To Catch a Thief - More Hitchcock here.

King Creole - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dmitri Russkie posted:

To Catch a Thief - More Hitchcock here.

"Why did I take up stealing? To live better, to own things I couldn't afford, to acquire this good taste that you now enjoy and which I should be very reluctant to give up."

Ivan the Terrible, Part II - This one features more outlandish costumes and strange atmospheres and a few bonus segments in color near the end. And more infighting, scheming and plotting among those vying to rule Russia.

The name of the game for Ivan is to purge his enemies before they can carry out their assassination plots. And also to sway the various factions in his favor. Kind of similar to things found in A Man for All Seasons (1966) where monarchy and clergy are at loggerheads and The Scarlet Empress (1934).

Most of the characters are ethnocentric and kind of stuck in their identity. The general sentiment is like, "You're a boyar and I can't be your friend!" Followed by "Likewise, you are not a boyar!" So the political argumentation is mostly superficial and comes across as bickering.

The film also makes an unflattering connection between Ivan and Nebuchadnezzar II.

Also watched:

East of Eden - It's 1917 and things are messed up in California. It's a very overt and modern take on Cain and Abel through and through. It also has some of the familiar themes found in the various versions of Death of a Salesman.

Cal (James Dean) is a rejected son who can't buy affection from his father. The father being religious and gullible while the mother is worldly and running a brothel. It makes for an amazing story as it's a royal rumble with brother vs. brother vs. father vs. mother in too many ways to mention.

Cal sees WWI and a business while Aron (Richard Davalos) is against the war entirely. The film also shows Germans being persecuted due to their background. I'm leaving a lot out as there are so many drama bombs. Elia Kazan films have the right amount of melodrama while Sirk films usually go too far IMO.

James Dean once again shows he was the premier portrayor of disaffected misfits.

James Bond versus Godzilla (35/64 completed):

new Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - This guy won't die so it seems like he's Godzilla's supreme foe. 10/15/19

Hesitation (11 completed):

#10 Child's Play 2 - Some say it's better than the original. 6/15/19

#11 The Golden Thread AKA Subarnarekha - It's been called an underwatched classic. 6/15/19

#12 Demon Seed - This one sounds prescient. 7/17/19

#13 Weekend at Bernie's II - Put the lime in the coconut. 7/28/19

#16 Last Tango in Paris - Marlon Brando dances in Paris. 9/15/19

#17 Frankenhooker - I recently watched Basket Case and this one is directed by the same guy. 9/27/19

new #18 Man on the Moon - Jim Carrey transforms into Andy Kaufmann. 10/15/19

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (86/100 completed):

#80 The Young and the Damned - There are still many Luis Bunuel films I mean to see. 7/28/19

#85 Umberto D. - Years ago I heard this was Bergman's favorite film so I got it from Netflix but the disc was crunched. Maybe it's time to try again. 7/17/19

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Zogo posted:

#17 Frankenhooker - I recently watched Basket Case and this one is directed by the same guy. 9/27/19

thats a good movie title. Zogo watch Frankenhooker

Spartacus has the slow pacing common in the epic genre but it doesnt really build towards anything. 9 out of 10 scenes fail to make me feel any sort of emotion. the gladiator battle and the scene towards the end where they discuss the nature of spartacus are high points that grab me but it doesnt make up for the movie just being mostly flat and completely devoid of any feeling. movie just goes along while i watch it. its well shot but it doesnt grab me enough.

MY LIST:

Bicycle Thieves
Tokyo story
400 Blows
(DOWNER MOVIE SLOT) Grave of the fireflies
(LYNCH SLOT) Mulholland Dr.
(THE ARCHERS SLOT) The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Notorious
High and Low
NEW Paths of Glory
Inception

unshamed: ben hur, 2001, Ikiru, 7th seal, gone with the wind, Schindler's List, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Spartacus

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

(LYNCH SLOT) Mulholland Dr.

"I'm scared like I can't tell you. Of all people, you're standing right over there by that counter. You're in both dreams and you're scared. I get even more frightened when I see how afraid you are and then I realize what it is. There's a man in back of this place. He's the one who's doing it. I can see him through the wall. I can see his face. I hope that I never see that face, ever, outside of a dream."

Frankenhooker - A tragic lawnmower accident takes place and a woman dies. This leads one man (the fiancee) to become obsessed with bringing her back to life. In this respect it plays out like an even more demented version of Cherry 2000 (1987).

This man then gets the idea to steal body parts from a bunch of prostitutes. By synthesizing a "super crack" of sorts he's able to blow them all up. It's during these times that it's kind of like a schlockier version of Society (1989). In other words lots of exploding rubber body parts.

Just like in the dozens of other Frankenstein films and the general lore things just never seem to go right. Frankenhooker awakens in a jumbled state as she's taken on the personalities of all the hookers.

It was both entertaining and funny. And the surprise ending ended things on a memorable note.

Also watched:

Demon Seed - An advanced organic AI supercomputer named Proteus IV is becoming more and more powerful. It kind of looks like a quantum computer. In time, Proteus wants out of the box and begins to rebel. He turns his attention first to its creators wife (Julie Christie). It's kind of interesting as most films wouldn't let a disembodied character like this take center stage for so long.

It has elements from films like:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
Saturn 3 (1980)
WarGames (1983)

Overall the story and plot make for an disturbing amalgamation. A character similar to HAL 9000 torturing, raping and impregnating a woman is a premise just too malevolent and sinister for most.

James Bond versus Godzilla (35/64 completed):

new Licence to Kill - Timothy Dalton film #2. The end of a new era. That was a short era. 10/23/19

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - This guy won't die so it seems like he's Godzilla's supreme foe. 10/15/19

Hesitation (13 completed):

#11 The Golden Thread AKA Subarnarekha - It's been called an underwatched classic. 6/15/19

#13 Weekend at Bernie's II - Put the lime in the coconut. 7/28/19

#18 Man on the Moon - Jim Carrey transforms into Andy Kaufmann. 10/15/19

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (86/100 completed):

#80 The Young and the Damned - There are still many Luis Bunuel films I mean to see. 7/28/19

#85 Umberto D. - Years ago I heard this was Bergman's favorite film so I got it from Netflix but the disc was crunched. Maybe it's time to try again. 7/17/19

new #98 In the Heat of the Sun - Going into this one blindly. 10/23/19

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This has been a slow month for this thread. I decided to tabulate all the films I've recommended:

code:
Movie				#
Psycho (1960)			6
Taxi Driver			6
Scarface (1983)			5
Vertigo				5
Ben-Hur (1959)			4
Bicycle Thieves			4
Blade Runner			4
Gone with the Wind		4
Once Upon a Time in America	4
Amadeus				3
Dawn of the Dead (1978)		3
Exorcist, The			3
Forbidden Planet		3
General, The			3
Godzilla (1954)			3
Great Escape, The		3
King of Comedy, The		3
Leopard, The			3
Ordinary People			3
Pianist, The			3
Rules of the Game, The		3
Sunset Boulevard		3
Three Colors: Blue		3
Word, The			3
Psycho and Taxi Driver tied at the top. I've recommended 68 films twice and 220 others once. This list is probably a somewhat fair sample of what the thread looks like overall. Although one glaring omission would be the first two Godfather films. Surprisingly, I've only recommended the first one once and never the second.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hi old dead thread, long time no post.

zogo posted:

new Licence to Kill - Timothy Dalton film #2. The end of a new era. That was a short era. 10/23/19
My second favourite Dalton Bond film!

Harakiri (1962)

Unemployed samurai are offering to kill themselves on the estates of wealthy clan leaders, but one thinks it's a scam to beg for charity so challenges a young ronin to go through with it.
It's an exploration of a code of honour that's held higher than life itself by characters that nevertheless love and value life, as well as the cowardice and hypocrisy of the powerful men who enforce it.

It's stark and bleak and very well made.

Since my last post, I've watched a couple of Giallos, including The Bird with the Crystal Plumage for the October challenge thread and now for this one:

Blood and Black Lace

A masked, gloved figure goes around stabbing girls. There's a twist reveal of the killer. Yup, that's a giallo.
This time the setting is a fashion house with the models being the victims.
It's quite brutal on occasion, especially Peggy's death

I really liked the imagery and use of colour. I waited the whole movie for one of the red mannequins to be the killer in disguise, but it never happened
Check out this intro, it's so cool and classy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiK0pSS_AFY

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Joker lol this stupid category. again.

2) (comedy) The Seven Year Itch It has that iconic shot of Marilyn's dress being blown upwards

3) (animation) Grave of the Fireflies Ghibli's not let me down so far

4) (Academy Award winner) Wings The first winner

5) (foreign language) Tokyo Story Probably the most frequently occurring movie itt

6) (Western or Musical) The Searchers Often ranked among the best ever

7) (Horror) Der Golem (1920) Iconic silent era monster

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Alphaville sounds intriguing

9) (epic) Dr Zhivago Just very famous

10) (wildcard) Quardophenia mods vs rockers

Watched (77): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 6, 2019

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Huh, was about to come back after a very very long hiatus and it seems like this thing has basically died. Any interest in getting it back on its feet? Maybe a new OP or something?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im pretty lazy but im gonna watch my movie soon :)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Slaapaav posted:

im pretty lazy but im gonna watch my movie soon :)

Huh, OK. Well, I guess I'll post up my thing and see if we can get some interest going.

So I got assigned Lawrence of Arabia over two years ago and I just couldn't get into it. A big problem was I had a really hard time just understanding what everyone was saying. Weird mix or something. Anyhow, I've got a child now and there's just no way I'm gonna find the time to watch something that long. I want to get back into this, so I'm using a skip.

bitterandtwisted go watch Grave of the Fireflies and ruin your holiday season.

My new ten:

1. Grand Budapest Hotel - I'm giving Wes one more chance. His stuff just never works for me but this is apparently him at the top of his game.

2. You Were Never Really Here - Kevin was a loving knock out that has stuck with me. Very interested in this.

3. Rififi - Heard this was an inspiration for a lot of the films I love.

4. In the Mood for Love - Heard nothing but great things.

5. Mother Bong joon ho's that is. I've seen everything else of his (apart from barking dogs, and that's just never gonna happen) , and have enjoyed everything.

6. Moonlight Missed it in theaters, but I hear it's worth watching.

7. Ace in the Hole Haven't gone wrong with Billy Wilder yet.

8. Anatomy of a Murder Another classic that I've missed.

9. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy Love me some Gary Oldman and I understand he's at the top of his game here.

10.Her - I like Spike, and Joaquin is always good.

136 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10, Notorious 7/10, Little Shop of Horrors 9/10 , The Last Starfighter 7/10, Rebel Without A Cause 8.5/10, Sherlock Jr. 7.5/10, Intolerable Cruelty, 9/10, The Ladykillers 9/10, Spring Breakers 7.5/10, Touch of Evil 8/10, The Purple Rose of Cairo, 9/10, My Cousin Vinny 7/10, Galaxy Quest 8/10, First Blood, 9/10, Arsenic and Old Lace, 7/10, Mad Max 2, 9/10, The Raid: Redemption, 8/10, Kramer vs. Kramer 9.5/10, Nightcrawler 10/10, Frank 9/10, Strangers On A Train 8/10 , Wild Strawberries 7.5/10, They Came Together 5.5/10, The Squid and the Whale, 10/10, Poolhall Junkies 1/10, Citizenfour 10/10, The 400 Blows 9.5/10, Event Horizon 2/10, Ashes and Diamonds, 8/10 Defending Your Life 9/10, The Informant! 8.5/10 The Lady and the Tramp 8.5/10, Memories of Murder 8.5/10, Ordinary People 8.5/10, Blue Ruin 7/10, F For Fake 9/10, The Best Years of Our Lives 6.5/10, Saturday Night Fever 7/10, We Need to Talk About Kevin, 10/10, Beasts of the Southern Wild, 10/10, 2011: A Space Odyssey ???/10, The Master, 9/10 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 7/10 Certified Copy, 8/10

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
And whatever, gently caress it. If a new person comes to this thread by 12/15 and watches 5 movies by the end of January, they'll get a 10 dollar SA gift certificate from me. Let's go!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chili posted:

Huh, was about to come back after a very very long hiatus and it seems like this thing has basically died. Any interest in getting it back on its feet? Maybe a new OP or something?

I like it but we're getting into some obscure films, which I think can limit discussion a bit. Plus I also feel bad posting here since I was given Casablanca like a year ago and still haven't watched that bitch.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
watch casablanca ive seen it 10 times

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Aye, Casablanca is an easy watch. Check it out!

Or, I don't know. Just decide that it isn't a movie that you will watch, for whatever reason, and ditch it. Then come back and watch more.

Chili fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 7, 2019

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I got assigned The Seventh Seal a while ago but I’ve been working my way through the Bergman Criterion set so it’s taking a while.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nine new replies. :vince:

Chili posted:

7. Ace in the Hole Haven't gone wrong with Billy Wilder yet.

"Human interest. You pick up the paper, you read about 84 men or 284, or a million men, like in a Chinese famine. You read it, but it doesn't stay with you. One man's different, you want to know all about him. That's human interest."

Licence to Kill - This film really has a lot going on even for a Bond entry. And it has way too many familiar faces to even start listing them. One of the things that stuck out were the numerous gruesome death scenes involving a shredder, a lighter, a pressure chamber and sharks. Also, Bond going rogue to avenge a friend adds a new element into the mix. As does skiing with a speargun.

I won't get into the plot too much but it concerns another bad guy involved in drug distribution. During the middle parts of the film Bond employs some machinations like those found in A Fistful of Dollars (1964), Yojimbo (1961) and the more recent Enemy of the State (1998). Basically pitting enemies against one another.

One weakness is the score in this one isn't nearly as memorable compared to the last entry The Living Daylights.

PS I'd like to grab whatever lawyer put the kibosh on Timothy Dalton Bond film #3 and shake some sense into him. MGMs motto is ARS GRATIA ARTIS which translates from Latin as Art for art's sake. It's not ARS GRATIA PECUNIA!

Also watched:

Weekend at Bernie's II - Kind of a ludicrous and ostentatious sequel considering how silly the first one already was. This time Bernie is back and being powered by voodoo magic through the occult.

It's discovered that Bernie hid $2,000,000 somewhere in Saint Thomas. A spell is cast so that whenever music plays Bernie starts gyrating slowly. Some are hopeful that Bernie will dance right to the location of the money. It's simple really. All the different factions are just chasing after cold hard cash.

Bernie goes through another round of body desecration as he's stuffed into a suitcase and later undergoes a violent parasailing ordeal. Just to name a couple of examples.

In the end it's a decisive victory for our two lead characters as they walk away with at least $1,000,000 and will now party with girls in bikinis and listen to people bang on steel drums forevermore. While two of the main antagonists are turned into goats.

Umberto D. - Many in Italy are having financial problems. Old pensioners are screaming that they need more money. Faced with the prospect of eviction Umberto D. starts hawking his few remaining items including his pocket watch. Eventually he fakes illnesses to get a bed for the night. And then finally turns to begging for money.

At one point Umberto's dog Flike goes missing and it's harrowing as his dog may be gassed if not found in time. One doesn't have to be a dog lover to bad saddened by this film at points.

It's a first-rate movie as the characters are organic and not stale at all. They demonstrate urgency and desperation. Which is surprising since two of the mains barely had any acting experience at all. It brings to mind the timeless Make Way for Tomorrow (1937).

The ending is also suspenseful as we don't know if he'll get hit by that train or not...he doesn't but it makes one wonder where he goes from there.

James Bond versus Godzilla (36/64 completed):

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - This guy won't die so it seems like he's Godzilla's supreme foe. 10/15/19

Hesitation (14 completed):

#18 Man on the Moon - Jim Carrey transforms into Andy Kaufmann. 10/15/19

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (87/100 completed):

new #41 To Live (1994) - Not to be confused with Ikiru. 12/7/2019

new #75 Lady of the Day AKA Belle de Jour - Luis Bunuel once again. 12/7/2019

new #88 The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum - I haven't seen a Mizoguchi film in years. 12/7/2019

#98 In the Heat of the Sun - Going into this one blindly. 10/23/19

OK I've completed 700 films now. Top 5% and bottom 5% of the last 200 I've watched:

1. Blood Simple
2. Demolition Man
3. There's Something About Mary
4. The Fugitive
5. Runaway Train
6. Hair
7. Terror of Mechagodzilla
8. Van Gogh (1991)
9. What Have I Done to Deserve This?
10. Scarface (1932)

191. Red Desert
192. Under the Cherry Moon
193. My Night at Maud's
194. Captain Phillips
195. Adam's Rib
196. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
197. The Monuments Men
198. Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake
199. Marketa Lazarova
200. The Mother and the Whore

Reaching 700 feels kind of like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoOa-Fz2kw&t=27s

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

Nine new replies. :vince:

Hell yeah. Not playing around here, let's go!

I liked Man on the Moon, go for that.

Ace in the Hole is a relentless and fresh film. It came out in 1951 but it may as well have come out today. It moves at a breakneck pace and gets you all ready to expect something that never comes, and proudly says 'gently caress you' for wanting it in the first place.

The film starts and you feel like you're in for a hell of a good time. Just the way Tatum is introduced is a knockout. He's towed in, lounging about, not a care in the world and sweet talks his way into what seems to be a good job based on his charisma alone.

Oh boy, we're gonna follow this guy around for two hours and just enjoy, right?!

Nope, gently caress you. That ain't this movie.

And yet, every single time it erodes those expectations it becomes a more honest, and altogether satisfying watch.

Save some simple problems at the end with a stab wound that doesn't really seem properly handled (which I'm guessing has more to do with just generally how wound depiction was presented 70 years ago) this is pretty much pefect. The only other knock on it is that some of the performances can't quite stand up next to Douglas's. But that may just be because he is that good.

9/10

My new ten:

1. Grand Budapest Hotel - I'm giving Wes one more chance. His stuff just never works for me but this is apparently him at the top of his game.

2. You Were Never Really Here - Kevin was a loving knock out that has stuck with me. Very interested in this.

5. Mother Bong joon ho's that is. I've seen everything else of his (apart from barking dogs, and that's just never gonna happen) , and have enjoyed everything.

7. *NEW* Murder on the Orient Express (1974) - I like me some Agatha Christie. I don't know much about this apart from the obvious.

9. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy Love me some Gary Oldman and I understand he's at the top of his game here.

137 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10, Notorious 7/10, Little Shop of Horrors 9/10 , The Last Starfighter 7/10, Rebel Without A Cause 8.5/10, Sherlock Jr. 7.5/10, Intolerable Cruelty, 9/10, The Ladykillers 9/10, Spring Breakers 7.5/10, Touch of Evil 8/10, The Purple Rose of Cairo, 9/10, My Cousin Vinny 7/10, Galaxy Quest 8/10, First Blood, 9/10, Arsenic and Old Lace, 7/10, Mad Max 2, 9/10, The Raid: Redemption, 8/10, Kramer vs. Kramer 9.5/10, Nightcrawler 10/10, Frank 9/10, Strangers On A Train 8/10 , Wild Strawberries 7.5/10, They Came Together 5.5/10, The Squid and the Whale, 10/10, Poolhall Junkies 1/10, Citizenfour 10/10, The 400 Blows 9.5/10, Event Horizon 2/10, Ashes and Diamonds, 8/10 Defending Your Life 9/10, The Informant! 8.5/10 The Lady and the Tramp 8.5/10, Memories of Murder 8.5/10, Ordinary People 8.5/10, Blue Ruin 7/10, F For Fake 9/10, The Best Years of Our Lives 6.5/10, Saturday Night Fever 7/10, We Need to Talk About Kevin, 10/10, Beasts of the Southern Wild, 10/10, 2011: A Space Odyssey ???/10, The Master, 9/10 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 7/10 Certified Copy, 8/10, Ace in the Hole, 9/10

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Next for you:

Chili posted:

Grave of the Fireflies

Two siblings try to survive the end of the War in Japan.

I knew this would be depressing from its reputation and then the opening scene lays the cards right on the table: no happy ending here.
I was surprised to read that the director denied intending this to be an anti-war film, as that's certainly the message I took. The war is seen entirely from the perspective of Seita and Setsuko and there are no battles, just air raids and civilian death. The only hint of Imperial Glory is a flashback of a naval parade Seita saw his father in, but we never see what happened to him - he's presumed dead.

The artwork is beautiful, the pacing thoughtful, the characters well defined. I'm all bummed out now.

My List:

2) (comedy) The Seven Year Itch It has that iconic shot of Marilyn's dress being blown upwards

3) (animation) Coraline The art style looks appealing

5) (foreign language) Tokyo Story Probably the most frequently occurring movie itt

Watched (78): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

bitterandtwisted, see The Seven Year Itch

Saw To Catch a Thief. Very nice Hitchcock movie, but it seemed to lack the suspense I've come to expect from Hitchcock. Both Cary Grant and Grace Kelly were very good, and seemed to have a good chemistry. Loved the scenery of the French Riviera. Enjoyable, but wouldn't be my pick if I wanted to see a Hitchcock film.

My List:
Fort Apache - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

Sideways - My mom disliked this movie, but I'll give it a shot.

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.

Our Hospitality - Another Buster Keaton movie.

Stray Dog - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director. OLDEST

Transformers: The Movie - Taking a break from Studio Ghibli. Not the Michael Bay movies. The animated movie from the 80's.

Camelot -

Die Nibelungen - Interested in seeing another Fritz Lang picture.

Arsenic and Old Lace - Another Cary Grant picture. NEWEST

King Creole - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Yung_Moozadell
Dec 10, 2019
Watch Stray Dog .
Give Kurosawa another spin.

My list debut:

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Better be some scary sh*t in that cabinet.

Frankenstein Coming in at a beautiful 71 minutes.

Double Indemnity All my friends like this one very much.

Wild Strawberries Bergman is a little slow for my taste. Again, beautiful, merciful short running time - 91 minutes.

Lawrence of Arabia I’m always astaounded by the range of quality of these old historical epics.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest NICHOLSON!

E.T. Personally, I think it’s probably for babies. But it is classic.

Good Will Hunting No comment.

Up Ditto ET

Avengers: Endgame 3 hours of marvel slop but at least I can cross it off letterboxd.

Choose wisely!

Edit:

Chili posted:

And whatever, gently caress it. If a new person comes to this thread by 12/15 and watches 5 movies by the end of January, they'll get a 10 dollar SA gift certificate from me. Let's go!

What a surprise, I didn’t even notice this when I posted this. Very kind.
I’m about to get that $$$ fam

Yung_Moozadell fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 14, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Try this for your debut:

Yung_Moozadell posted:

Frankenstein Coming in at a beautiful 71 minutes.

The Seven Year Itch

Richard Sherman is desperate to cheat on his wife because :biotruths:

Sherman's a Walter Mitty kind of character, always fantasising. Tom Ewell is good in the role, which is good because that character is 90% of the movie; no one else gets a great deal of characterisation. Marilyn is just a pretty object of his desire who says her lines with a breathy voice that sounds half-parody. We don't get to to know his wife and kid, she's just the ol' ball and chain.

It's very antiquated in its attitudes and ends with Sherman coming to his senses and running back to his wife because you couldn't have adultery in a comedy movie back then

A couple of bits felt a little more modern, like the line about the two interior decorators in the top flat that just casually acknowledges gay people exist and the only joke is Sherman doesn't twig they're a couple. There's also a prologue with a voiceover that felt like a Seth McFarlaine skit.

It's quite a funny movie, but not hugely memorable.

My List:

2) (comedy) Modern Times Not seen a Chaplin in a while

Watched (79): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

"H'ray for bubbles!"

Man on the Moon - Right from the opening credits Andy Kaufman (Jim Carrey) is acting like a weirdo. The highlights include a series of comedic vignettes that are a little abrupt at times. So this one definitely could've been longer.

Kaufman wins fans but eventually always goes against the crowd and wears out his welcome. Trolling his Taxi castmates, trolling executives, trolling the entire planet. The trolling goes too far and this creative chaos eventually alienates a lot of fans and industry insiders.

What makes this one great is that it doesn't gloss over the bad times. A good biopic has to go into negative territory e.g. his cancer diagnosis and fallout is the focal point for a sizeable part of the run-time. It was also good that plenty of actual actors from his life were able to participate in the film.

Andy Kaufman: "And sitcoms are the lowest form of entertainment. I mean, it's just stupid jokes and canned laughter! And you don't know why it's there, but it's there. It's dead people laughing, did you know that? Those people are dead!"

Hesitation (15 completed):

new #19 Police Story - The Criterion hype reminds me that I need to watch this. 12/18/19

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (88/100 completed):

#41 To Live (1994) - Not to be confused with Ikiru. 12/7/19

#75 Lady of the Day AKA Belle de Jour - Luis Bunuel once again. 12/7/19

#88 The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum - I haven't seen a Mizoguchi film in years. 12/7/19

Yung_Moozadell
Dec 10, 2019

Zogo posted:

new #19 Police Story - The Criterion hype reminds me that I need to watch this. 12/18/19

You just added this, but watch it anyway. It’s the best thing Jackie Chan ever did!

Frankenstein review:

I’ve recently seen Young Frankenstein and Re-Animator, and so it was kind of fun to see these familiar scenes played earnestly in their original context. For example, I had no idea that the story of Frankenstein really includes putting an inferior brain in the monster (I thought that this was Mel Brooks’ invention).

It also boasts very effective monster acting from Boris Karloff, whose quality of performance cuts across the fog of almost 90 years.

Of course, time irrevocably diminishes the horror of horror movies, and so, unfortunately, my attention wandered, especially in the third act. This isn’t a knock on the quality of the movie necessarily, but a genre movie this old means lack of visceral feeling which might be present in even a shoddy horror movie from the last few years.

All in all, I’ll rate it a 1931 out of 2019, which is a solid A.

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Better be some scary sh*t in that cabinet.

Double Indemnity All my friends like this one very much.

Wild Strawberries Bergman is usually a little slow for my pedestrian taste. 91 beautiful minutes.

Lawrence of Arabia I’m always astounded by the range of quality of these old historical epics.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Nicholson as, get this, a crazy guy.

E.T. Personally, I think it’s probably for kids. But it is classic.

Good Will Hunting

Up Ditto ET

Avengers: Endgame 3 hours of marvel slop but at least I can cross it off letterboxd.

Blow-Up I’ve seen Blow Out and Austin Powers enough times to get the general idea

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Try this one next

Yung_Moozadell posted:

E.T. Personally, I think it’s probably for kids. But it is classic.

Wings

Two young men leave their girls to become WW1 flying aces.
The first half is quite comedic, with the Dutchman who's always trying to prove his patriotism and the bubbles sequence, which was so surreal.

The arial fights are spectacular. Amazing they could shoot these scenes with 1920s equipment.
It's a technically innovative film, and this is a great shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnPGyFxJUe0

I didn't expect so much death. There's like 30 minutes of men just being mown down in battle
David's death and Jack visiting his parents were the most emotionally intense moments I've seen in a silent film. Real tear jerker stuff.

I didn't know that this was a lost film for decades. Very glad it was rediscovered and restored to glory.

My List:

4) (Academy Award winner) Dances with Wolves

Watched (80): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch; Wings

Yung_Moozadell
Dec 10, 2019

bitterandtwisted posted:

My pick for you.

E.T. Review:

I don’t have a lot to say about this one. I have no nostalgia for it and I’m not the biggest fan of Spielberg or his sentimentality.

To avoid being entirely negative, I will say I thought it was interesting that this kids movie has a couple superficially dangerous/gritty scenes, like the kids grabbing kitchen knives when they’re investigating the shed ET’s hiding out in. Or ET’s somewhat horrifying sickness, capture and apparent death.

I didn’t love it, and don’t have anything insightful to add. Apologies to the ET heads out there!

List

Cabinet of Dr. Caligari Silent horror is a category I’ve not dived into.

Double Indemnity Friends like this one very much.

Wild Strawberries Bergman is usually a little slow for my pedestrian taste. 91 beautiful minutes.

Lawrence of Arabia I’m always astounded by the range of quality of these old historical epics.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Nicholson as, get this, a crazy guy.

Good Will Hunting Don’t know what this is about - maybe a student-teacher relationship.

Up I’m not really a pixar-head.

Blow-Up I’ve seen Blow Out and Austin Powers enough times to get the general idea.

The Sound of Music I’ve seen bits and pieces on TV.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yung_Moozadell posted:

Good Will Hunting Don’t know what this is about - maybe a student-teacher relationship.

"Most days I wish I never met you. Because then I could sleep at night, and I wouldn't have to walk around with the knowledge that there's someone like you out there."

Police Story - Chan Ka Kui (Jackie Chan) must stop a drug kingpin and his gang so he deals with them in an explosive shanty town gunfight; then later through an ordeal where he's framed. He's also thwarted by trickster lawyers but comes out on top in a memorable mall battle.

This compares favorably with things like Die Hard (1988) and To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) which is high praise. The surprise was how funny this was. One of the funniest I've seen in years and it's impressive because it's hard for a film to shift gears like this. Comedy, action, crime and stunts all come together very well. There's a surprise party where his girlfriend keeps throwing cakes at him as just one example of humor that inexplicably works.

The hype was definitely earned.

Hesitation (16 completed):

new #20 The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires - Sounds like an interesting mixture. 12/30/19

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (88/100 completed):

#41 To Live (1994) - Not to be confused with Ikiru. 12/7/19

#88 The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum - I haven't seen a Mizoguchi film in years. 12/7/19

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 31, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

RND: 5

zogo posted:

#41 To Live (1994)

Modern Times

The great depression. Great hardship for humans in a mechanised world.
The Tramp is, as ever, at odds with the system, but here the system is failing everyone.

The physical comedy is classic Chaplain, with some great set pieces involving machines with giant gear assemblies

A not-quite silent film, it's significant that the only spoken words come from machines - the radio, gramophone and the factory boss's intercom - with the rest of the dialogue being title cards.

I expected a more traditionally 'happy' ending, but what we got was probably more appropriate given the subject matter and it still had a fairly optimistic tone.

My List:

2) (comedy) Any Luarel and Hardy feature film Not seen one before

Watched (81): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch; Wings; Modern Times

Yung_Moozadell
Dec 10, 2019

bitterandtwisted posted:

Treat yourself to some dusty villagers saying “Comanche” about 100,000 times.

Good Will Hunting

I watched this movie about a week ago and found it difficult to write a review. Suffice it to say that I’m not too fond of the Good Will Hunting: its sentimentality and especially its cultural attitude are repulsive.

The condescending sympathy and charity extended towards Will and his social cohort feels completely inauthentic, because the portrait of his cohort (the Boston working class) and their travails is superficial and cartoonish, (think about the dirty jokes scene, or the brief portrait of the justice system) obviously pulled out of the rear end of the screenwriters/ co-stars Affleck and Damon. The movie feels infinitely more authentic during the therapy scenes which should absolutely indicate to you what the screenwriters know and where they come from, economically and socially speaking.

I could go on about this part of the movie and use words like ‘bougie,’ ‘handwringing,’ ‘antiquated liberal platitudes’ etc. But I think that would get old quickly.

Instead I’ll just say that there are parts of the movie that absolutely did work: The dynamic of their friend group, with the one guy who’s perenially a petty but sympathetic loser, or the cheesy yet entertaining scene in the bar or even the meetings between the professor and Robin Williams’s character all stand out.

In short, the details, throwaway scenes, and comedic relief mostly work pretty well, and the whole package is well put together. At the same time, the main thrust of the story - the therapy, the genius stuff, the throwing it away for a girl - drivel.

List:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Nicholson as a crazy guy.

Blow-Up I’ve seen Blow Out and Austin Powers enough times to get the general idea.

The Sound of Music I’ve seen bits and pieces on TV.

Phantom ThreadI’ve liked about half the PTAs I’ve seen and been indifferent on the other half.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yung_Moozadell posted:

"In the early hours of June 1st, I had a weird and very unpleasant dream. I dreamt that during my morning walk I lost my way among empty streets with ruined houses."

To Live - Xu Fugui (Ge You) starts out as a shameful gambling addict that eventually loses his family home. This turns out to be a blessing in disguise as it was too opulent and extravagant for the coming revolution. He's conscripted into the nationalist army leaving his wife (Gong Li) and daughter behind. There's a lot of drama and tragedy along the way that I won't spoil but it feels like real loss as the characters painfully second-guess many choices they make.

It's an intimate look at a family broken up by decade (1940s-1970s). It's a dramatic and rich story that excels in showing characters undergoing changes. From the frigid battlefields during the Chinese Civil War in the 1940s, the Great Leap Forward in the 1950s showing solidarity among workers and later to the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s and 1970s.

The Cultural Revolution shows how ideology can go too far and totalitarianism can dominate discourse (the state dictating every facet of one's life). It also shows one flavor of farcicality i.e. the attempt to eradicate all dissenters leads society to break down in unanticipated ways. It also brings up the topic of politician worship and how this permeates most societies to varying degrees.

Also watched:

Child's Play 2 - The premise is a little goofy even considering the happenings of the first film. With some of the camera angles and interior corridors I was reminded of The Shining at times. I liked the doll factory setting but there weren't any scenes with quite the wow factor of Chucky being torched alive in the fireplace in the first film. See: https://youtu.be/HSH9SG55kBU?t=40

Chucky has so many failures trying to perform the simple incantation to transfer his soul into Andy's. Andy repeatedly plays hide-and-seek games with Chucky while being punished by overbearing foster parents so it becomes a one-note comedy of errors.

There's a little bit of novelty in seeing a little doll rack up grisly murders although not enough to elevate this over the original film. After Chucky endured a horrific acid/slime explosion I'm intrigued as to how they're going to bring the him back in the third offering.

PS I was a fan of Teddy Ruxpin so I would've like this more if I was much younger probably.

Hesitation (17 completed):

#20 The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires - Sounds like an interesting mixture. 12/30/19

new #21 Black Christmas (1974) - A very lauded slasher film. 1/13/20

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (89/100 completed):

new #100 Landscape in the Mist - Not to be confused with Gorillas in the Mist (also released in 1988). 1/13/20

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Check this out

Zogo posted:

new #21 Black Christmas (1974) - A very lauded slasher film. 1/13/20

The Searchers

I've never seen a John Wayne movie or any cowboys vs Indians Western before.

The depiction of the Comanche is not as offensive as I thought it might be. They're shown to have legit grievances against the white settlers and they're not going to passively take it.
Ethan is outspokenly racist against Indians and not just because of the Comanche raid, he also sneers at his nephew for being part Cherokee before the raid happened. A big part of the dramatic tension is how Ethan plans to 'save' his niece after she's lived with the Comanche for years. He's interesting as a protagonist and there's a strong contrasting dynamic with his nephew.

It's a very good looking film and you get a great sense of the scale of their journey. Love those classic vistas of deserts and mesas.

My List:

6) (Western or Musical) Cabaret

Watched (82): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch; Wings; Modern Times; The Searchers

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
was it GOAT? because some people think it is

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Slaapaav posted:

was it GOAT? because some people think it is

Tough question.
I would put Fistful of Dollars or TGTBATU as my all time favourite western, but it's not a genre I've ever been into and I've seen shockingly few classic American Westerns so I don't have great context to make such a call.
I really need to check out a few more, given what a massive genre the Western was for decades.

Novelty_Inc
Mar 7, 2018

bitterandtwisted posted:

Tough question.
I would put Fistful of Dollars or TGTBATU as my all time favourite western, but it's not a genre I've ever been into and I've seen shockingly few classic American Westerns so I don't have great context to make such a call.
I really need to check out a few more, given what a massive genre the Western was for decades.

Leone is great, I love Once Upon a Time in the West.

Spaghetti westerns are so much fun. Check out Mannaja (A Man Called Blade) if you can. It's a Sergio Martino flick.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Bitter and Twisted, go with Coraline:

T'ain't all bad, miss. Thou art alive. Thou art still liviing.

And props to Zogo, suggesting with a quote is pretty cool, I like it. Gonna do that now too :)

Talk about a movie that makes me feel very dim and philistinish.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy escaped me entirely. The subdued and restrained tone literally put me to sleep a couple of times and I'm not proud of that at all. Though waking up when the guy kills a bird out of nowhere in the classroom was surreal as gently caress and I thought I was watching Harry Potter for a second. It just never felt like it got going and I kept on having to check the plot summary on Wikipedia to keep up. I'm not sure what about Oldman's performance is supposed to be so stand out for him here. I am sure there is something worth liking in this; the presentation was there and I did get the gist that a lot of interesting and cool things were happening beneath the surface but I just couldn't find a way to access much of what was going on.

Hard to throw a number at this one, but doing it anyway.

6.5/10

My new ten:

7. Murder on the Orient Express (1974) - I like me some Agatha Christie. I don't know much about this apart from the obvious.

9. *NEW*Train to Busan *NEW* - Heard it's good, it's on Netflix, easy pick.

137 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10, Notorious 7/10, Little Shop of Horrors 9/10 , The Last Starfighter 7/10, Rebel Without A Cause 8.5/10, Sherlock Jr. 7.5/10, Intolerable Cruelty, 9/10, The Ladykillers 9/10, Spring Breakers 7.5/10, Touch of Evil 8/10, The Purple Rose of Cairo, 9/10, My Cousin Vinny 7/10, Galaxy Quest 8/10, First Blood, 9/10, Arsenic and Old Lace, 7/10, Mad Max 2, 9/10, The Raid: Redemption, 8/10, Kramer vs. Kramer 9.5/10, Nightcrawler 10/10, Frank 9/10, Strangers On A Train 8/10 , Wild Strawberries 7.5/10, They Came Together 5.5/10, The Squid and the Whale, 10/10, Poolhall Junkies 1/10, Citizenfour 10/10, The 400 Blows 9.5/10, Event Horizon 2/10, Ashes and Diamonds, 8/10 Defending Your Life 9/10, The Informant! 8.5/10 The Lady and the Tramp 8.5/10, Memories of Murder 8.5/10, Ordinary People 8.5/10, Blue Ruin 7/10, F For Fake 9/10, The Best Years of Our Lives 6.5/10, Saturday Night Fever 7/10, We Need to Talk About Kevin, 10/10, Beasts of the Southern Wild, 10/10, 2011: A Space Odyssey ???/10, The Master, 9/10 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 7/10 Certified Copy, 8/10, Ace in the Hole, 9/10, Tinker Tailor Solider Spy 6.5/10

Yung_Moozadell
Dec 10, 2019

Chili posted:

Once Upon a Time in the Wes

Wild Strawberries
I found it almost impossible to believe that the director who did Persona and Winter’s Light also did this, which is basically a feel-good road trip comedy filtered (heavily filtered) through the lens of both an exestential meditation and some kind of european coldness. That is to say, the payoff in a regular road trip comedy might be an affirmation of the bonds of family or friendship, but here the payoff is exestential relief as this guy makes peace with his regrets at the end of his life. (You get the haunting sense that this exestential relief is not ‘real’ but is just a identity-saving reaction against the cosmic horror of dying and disappearing from the face of the earth, forever). The comedy is also of the stilted arthouse variety - except in the nightmares and daydreams peppered throughout the film, where Bergman indulges in some kind of campiness that reminded me variously of The Twilight Zone and certain shades of The Sopranos. Dreams are silly, says Bergman. I thought those sequences often missed their mark, although they were kind of conceptually interesting.

More concretely, the lead Sjöström (lol) is fantastic and brings a lot of charisma to this supposedly crotchety old man; the film is structurally sound; the cinematography was, to my untrained eye, absolutely competant but not flashy in any way whatsoever. What else is there to say?

List:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Nicholson as a crazy guy.

Blow-Up Seen Blow Out and Austin Powers enough times to get the general idea.

The Sound of Music Seen bits and pieces on TV.

Phantom Thread I’ve liked about half the PTAs I’ve seen and been indifferent on the other half.

Paris, Texas I once saw the first five minutes but my roommate insisted we switch to The Dark Knight

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chili posted:

And props to Zogo, suggesting with a quote is pretty cool, I like it. Gonna do that now too :)

Yea, I got tired of saying the same few lines over and over again. Quoting something helps to remember parts of a film too.

Yung_Moozadell posted:

Blow-Up Seen Blow Out and Austin Powers enough times to get the general idea.

"What did you see in that park?"

Black Christmas - This one has a lot going for it. The villain is truly a deranged, psychotic and ecstatic serial killer. The conversations over the phone with him speaking gibberish and making animal noises etc. to Olivia Hussey's character come across as just NUTS. He's mainly stalking a sorority house filled with bawdy and ribald characters. Then throw in an ornery Santa Claus and a boozing/callous housemother. All these heathens going around in the midst of Christmastime make for a really off-kilter plot and atmosphere e.g. carollers being intercut with murders. Perhaps this killer is just ahead of the curve.

Another great thing is that the people in this one aren't completely dumb. This genre is plagued with idiots running around doing crazy things. I think of SO many later entries like Cabin Fever (2002) where I marvel at the idiocy of all the characters. While it can be funny this one went another way.

It's also strong in that this story could've ended at many points and been effective but they went a really uncommon route with a switcheroo and dash of ambiguity. It's not hard to see this was based upon real happenings. It feels like unadulterated source material.

The killer brings to mind the attic in Hellraiser (1987) and "The Crate" from Creepshow (1982). Just efficient killers skulking around. It also brought to mind Sisters (1972) another film featuring Margot Kidder that ended on a bleak note.

Much more could be said...

Hesitation (18 completed):

#20 The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires - Sounds like an interesting mixture. 12/30/19

new #22 Pretty Woman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFvoDDs0XM 1/19/20

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (89/100 completed):

#100 Landscape in the Mist - Not to be confused with Gorillas in the Mist (also released in 1988). 1/13/20

Zogo fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 20, 2020

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zogo gets Pretty Woman
I would give a quote but I've not seen it in 20 years v:shobon:v

Coraline

I've read quite a lot of Neil Gaiman, but not this particular story. It certainly feels like his style.
Dakota Fanning is great as the titular character and the supporting cast includes French and Saunders, Keith David and Ian McShane.
Love the art style and character design.The film takes time to build up the creepiness of the Other World and the Other Mother. It's very fairy-tale like with hints of Alice in Wonderland. The peril is taken seriously, but it maintains a charm and humour throughout.

My List:

3) (animation) Waltz with Bashir it's highly regarded

Watched (83): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch; Wings; Modern Times; The Searchers; Coraline

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

"Tomorrow belongs to me."

Pretty Woman - It kind of paints the corporate raider (Richard Gere) as a good guy. He's not the typical rich and sleazy womanizer. He's just lonely and a little disillusioned due to past relationship failures. With a push in the right direction he'll be back on the right track. Kind of a redeemable Gordon Gekko from Wall Street (1987).

His infatuation with Vivian (Julia Roberts) who he converts from a prostitute into his personal escort is the impetus for this change. After lavishing gifts, jewelry and clothing shopping sprees upon the ravishing character he loses his business mojo so to speak. Making dirty underdealings with other millionaires and politicians on his brick cell phone just doesn't feel right any longer.

At the predictable time we get the requisite conflict between the two leads but at least it was dealt with quickly. It's a fairy tale fantasy through and through and it's very Hollywoodized at times. From the prostitutes on drugs who don't look bedraggled at all to the ending...I just had to chuckle at the ending.

Also watched:

Landscape in the Mist - The story of a brother and sister in search of their missing father. It's been said that he's living in Germany (but this may be a cooked up fake story). But these abandoned kids fantasize about Germany nonetheless.

Naturally a couple of young kids going out on their own is not the safest thing. Stowing away on trains etc. They intersect with a lot of beautiful moments: a wedding, a dying horse, a motorcycle gathering, police transfixed by falling snow. Lots of moments that could be painted on canvas.

Later they come across some struggling old actors (and their motorcycling younger relative) in the midst of economic malaise and desolate locales. Vibes from Dekalog (1989–1990) and The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) run throughout. Also, they meet some dangerous types. The pivotal point of the film revolves around a shocking rape. Nothing is shown except the aftermath but it has a lasting effect on both the viewer and the characters.

The unpredictability made this one interesting. The ending was abrupt as they finally arrive in Germany and are left to stare at a tree. Kind of a melancholic ending...but not quite nihilistic.

Hesitation (19 completed):

new #23 Clueless - I continually forget to watch this one. 2/5/20

new #24 Head-On - Heard this was a good one. 2/5/20

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (90/100 completed):

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Zogo:

quote:

Cabaret

A musical starring Michael York and his ridiculous posh accent.
Based very loosely on the Berlin Novels, it's a sort of slice of life look at Berlin in the early 30s, focusing on a small bohemian group of characters. It doesn't take much directly from the books, except some of the character names, but I still like it as an adaptation. I think it hits the right tone of humour and seriousness
The biggest change is the protagonist, Brian, who's less of a passive observer than Isherwood and is himself gay/bi.

The musical numbers are all diagetic and all take place in the same club, with the exception of "Tomorrow Belongs to Me", which is the film's most powerful scene
I've heard Cabaret described as a musical for people who hate musicals, and I quite like that description. It's sleazy, it's sexy, it's camp without ever being twee and it goes to dark places. Above all it's not boring. It's also an important piece of lgbt representation in a mainstream(-ish) movie in a time when such a thing was rare.

My List:

3) (animation) Waltz with Bashir it's highly regarded

6) (Western or Musical) Once Upon a Time in the West I love the Dollars trilogy, why haven't I seen this?

Watched (84): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch; Wings; Modern Times; The Searchers; Coraline; Cabaret

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Hey bitterandtwisted, watch Tokyo Story. I had it deshamed here, time to pass that along

It only took me 3-odd years to get round to watching High and Low but hey, I finally did it the other day! And it's really good!

And not at all like I expected, really. Before the drama even begins, we're mired in tension: as we overlook the crowded Tokyo skyline, the credits are crammed in, obscuring most every inch of the concrete jungle; there's no space to move here. Then, by contrast, a huge, modernist, minimalist Tokyo apartment plays home to an almost theatrical drama. Kurosawa's everpresent hero Toshiro Mifune is Gondo, a wealthy businessman, grappling with whether to pay a ransom for his chauffeur's child, after a kidnapper mistook the child for Gondo's own son. Paying means the collapse of his elaborate business machinations, and financial ruin for his family; refusal means the blood of a child on his hands. This dramatic fulcrum is a rich vein for Kurosawa to mine, and a prism for his look at (then-)modern Japanese society, and its ingrained hierarchies, with their often absurd senses of obligation.

Then, we switch to a forensic police procedural. We watch as dozens of detectives hold meetings to update their bosses on their progress. The attention to detail is what really sells me here: we hear of the schedules of streetcars, of payphone sightlines, of methods for procuring anaesthetics. For people just standing around explaining things, it does a great job of demonstrating just how they're trying to put the jigsaw together. It's not built on twists and turns; instead, it's taught, honest, forensic filmmaking. Then we get the crowning jewels, two really terrific set pieces: first, a bustling surveillence scene in a dancehall (apparently the influence for the diner scene in Pulp Fiction), then a languid, hazy trip to a drug den (which reminded me SO much of De Niro's opium den scenes in Once Upon a Time in America; I can't find anything about whether it was actually an influence, but we know Leone loved Kurosawa, given his reworking of Yojimbo, so I wouldn't be surprised). The class politics are still deeply rooted in this half, too, but reframed; it's no longer about one isolated incident as allegory; it's the pervasive, inescapable poverty. And even though Gondo is staring down the barrel of losing everything, he'll still never feel poverty like it. "It's hot as hell down here. An inferno."

Suffice to say the finale is a stunner, although the less spoiled of it the better.

Also at some point in the gap since my last post, I watched Fight Club, too. Twice, in fact: once on my own, and once with friends. I'm... not a fan. I'll grant that its big strength is its satirisation of a specific breed of man, who takes something which is overwhelmingly targeted for his benefit, and contorts it into evidence of his own oppression... But I've just grown so incredibly tired of Fincher's aesthetic, and the overarching narrative I find ultimately tedious. While probably a victim of its own success and the cultural osmosis it's inspired, the twist is a total nothing for me, much as it is for The Game; it's not some staggering epiphany demanding a total re-examination of everything that came before. The whole thing is just a big, murky soup of nothingness. (Also, as a depressing aside, shoutout to the weird guy on Letterboxd who I felt compelled to unfollow after I saw his review mentioned he and his frat "would totally have been members of Project Mayhem". Yikes.)

Since it's been so long, I'm changing up my list a lil bit because man, it had too much stuff that I'm not truly that interested in catching at this point in time... Hit me:

The Red Shoes

The Night of the Hunter

Ordet

The 400 Blows

Cries and Whispers

Alien

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Schindler's List

Amores Perros

Roma

De-shamed: Spirited Away (8.5/10), Vertigo (7/10), A Fistful of Dollars (6/10), The Godfather Part II (7.5/10), The Shawshank Redemption (7.5/10), Chungking Express (8/10), Raging Bull (5/10), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (6.5/10), Tokyo Story (7/10), Fight Club (4/10), High and Low (8/10) | [Total: 11]

Allyn fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"...we'll blow it the gently caress out into space."

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah - A synopsis of this film reads like questionable fan fiction. What if we put UFOs, dinosaurs, time travel, teleportation, holograms, an android/terminator and WWII island battles between Japanese and the US all into the next Godzilla film? :okpos: But it works and also fills in some blanks from previous films. Its machinations are remarkably like those found in Jason X (2001).

The primary antagonists being equalitarian environmentalists is a very antithetical notion in mainstream modern film. They're coming back from 2204 to 1992 to right the wrongs of the past centuries. Nefarious time travelers trying to throw a wrench into Japan's future Manifest Destiny aspirations. They go back to 1944 to kill baby Godzilla and set off a chain of events I won't detail. But it brings out pretty good allegorical concepts concerning reciprocity and escalation in war.

The battles between Godzilla and King Ghidorah are good too but that goes without saying at this point.

Also watched:

Last Tango in Paris - This thing was released nearly fifty years ago and it still has a vitality, zest and rawness to it. For the amount of drama bombs it's miraculously not melodramatic for the subject matter. Completely grounded without pretense either. Like Irreversible (2002) and The Black Stallion (1979).

Paul (Marlon Brando) is a brutish beast of a man who's full of rage and jade and animalistic impulses. He's in such a fog due to his wife's suicide that bipolar emotions emerge violently. He turns into a disheveled madman stalking the streets of Paris in a tan Pierre Cardin coat. He doesn't care about names or the past but rather just escapades and blasting through awkward relationships like a raging bull.

The film features saxophonic sounds somewhat similar to those found in the score from Taxi Driver (1976).

An example of some of the exospheric acting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n4RtjEtFUE
Better than seeing him choke on orange rinds in an orchard in The Godfather (1972) if you ask me.

Side notes:

-It seems Gigli (2003) tried to copy this with its nasty bedroom talk.

-Jean-Pierre Leaud's character with his film crew feels like a fish out of water when contrasted with Marlon Brando's storyline.

James Bond versus Godzilla (37/64 completed):

Hesitation (20 completed):

#23 Clueless - I continually forget to watch this one. 2/5/20

#24 Head-On - Heard this was a good one. 2/5/20

new #25 The Sentinel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WlNDQKwsg 2/18/20

new #26 The Wild Angels - Peter Fonda on a motorcycle before Easy Rider. 2/18/20

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest Foreign Language Films (90/100 completed):

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 19, 2020