Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Vin tag on Fargo should be under the seat and I can say with confidence I have got a pic of the vin tag on every car I have received which is 20 or more at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

French Canadian posted:

maintenance/safety stuff.

Yeah, that's correct.

I had assumed Japanese registration paper (shakensho) would have initial date of manufacture but I am wrong! Just has initial registration date (which you have already).

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

Vin tag on Fargo should be under the seat and I can say with confidence I have got a pic of the vin tag on every car I have received which is 20 or more at this point

I'll PM you my photo album but I assure you I ain't got anything else.

edit: one of the two engine bay photos suggests there is some sticker/tag stuff going on along the upper edge...but might just be mechanic work tags.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 2, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Japan doesn't give a poo poo about when the vehicle was made in regards to the laws driver's have to follow in that country. Just when it was first registered. Because the 25 year USA rule goes by month of manufacture you get all sorts of goofy things like this. At auction you can get an AZ-1 that says its a 1995 when it was actually manufactured in 93.

French Canadian posted:

I'll PM you my photo album but I assure you I ain't got anything else.

edit: one of the two engine bay photos suggests there is some sticker/tag stuff going on along the upper edge...but might just be mechanic work tags.

everdave has had an Isuzu so he would know, but the tags we're talking about should be embossed metal, never a sticker.

They look like these, and these are all from vehicles I've imported previously. I always get a picture of this tag.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Okay, I definitely don't have a photo of the tag like that.

But none of those show the date of manufacture from what I see anyway.

I'm still uncertain of how the situation unfolds if the customs agent is a dick.

I am curious what document Yoshi will amend, as well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I had to dig but this is From my Fargo port pics you should have a picture of this not that I see any information that shows when built other than decoding the vin. This is a Fargo vin plate and this exact tag is on your camper.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Thanks. I suppose the customs person can just look up the VIN if they're willing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If customs wants certain information the entire onus is on you to give it to them. Do not think for a second they'll look it up for you.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Yeah, good point.

Yoshi wasn't able to have the BL updated since it set sail already. Retrospectively I am pissed that they let it slip out with "date of manufacture: 1995" :cmon: That's very much incorrect. I am also pissed I didn't catch that. But I had no idea what the gently caress was going on back then either.

He suggested to use one of those Japanese vehicle background check services. I just put an order in at carvx.jp for $35. We'll see how it goes. I should get a digital cert in a day. And it did come up in their search, showing the November 1994 date. So I just hope their cert looks very official. Just trying to prepare for the worst...

One saving grace is that indeed 1995 was 25 years ago. So the Hoegh BL showing the wrong year of manufacture isn't a deal killer I guess. It's just not specific about the month. The date of first reg on the export cert is March 1995. So if you think it through, realistically speaking this vehicle can't be any newer than the month of March, 1995. Will the import people not worry so much about a 1 month grey area? I hope so...

This sucks.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 3, 2020

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Make sure you submit that certificate from the background check place to customs asap. I'd make sure that Mandee is aware of it and have her communicate the situation to customs as well.

They will likely definitely care about March 1995 trying to clear customs in Feb.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Make sure you submit that certificate from the background check place to customs asap. I'd make sure that Mandee is aware of it and have her communicate the situation to customs as well.

They will likely definitely care about March 1995 trying to clear customs in Feb.

Well, it only mentions March in the "first registered" section of the export cert, not in the "date of mfg" on the BL.

But yes I hope to have the background check cert tomorrow and my broker does know it's coming.

I think the camper won't be unloaded by end of tomorrow, so I have at least a day to get it to her...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If it is at port and your broker did her job and it is in the USA then it has been cleared by Homeland Security. Mine all get cleared before they ever hit America

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

If it is at port and your broker did her job and it is in the USA then it has been cleared by Homeland Security. Mine all get cleared before they ever hit America

So that's the big milestone, you're saying? "In the USA" meaning it's off the boat and sitting in some "America" section of the port?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I tell my broker clear X and he does whatever he does and sends me an invoice with a bunch of papers attached and 2 pages of those say HOMELAND SECURITY and it means that this vehicle has been accepted as not a threat to AMERICA and can be here.

I just think you are worrying too much and have a lovely customs broker

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

French Canadian posted:

So that's the big milestone, you're saying? "In the USA" meaning it's off the boat and sitting in some "America" section of the port?

This is not my experience at all, nor how it works jurisdiction-wise. The port, here in the USA, is not "the USA," it is the port. Things sit at the port that have not been cleared by customs. This is why you need special clearance to get in the port since it isn't just typical USA stuff, it's a different zone in a different jurisdiction with different rules. Much like how people can be in the USA at an airport but still not actually BE in the USA.
Anecdotally I had a snail scare with one of our vehicles while it was at port. The USDA (yes, the same one) customs agent found snails on the tires of our vehicle, marked it, and I could either do one of three things. Send it back, destroy it, or attempt to fumigate. Went with fumigation obviously, but just because it was in port, in the USA, and landed, does NOT mean its been cleared. A customs agent can't inspect vehicles while it is still on the boat. In the end fumigation was a success and everything was fine, but just because your vehicle is at port does not mean it has been cleared fully. There are different levels to it all and ports are strange and weird places which is why there are weird and strange rules to access them. Also why you have stories of people's Skylines sitting at port for months since it wasn't legal to enter the US yet.

"Customs" means a lot more than Homeland Security. It means all arms of the US Government, including the one that inspects meat.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Let's Import Vehicles From Japan For Fun and Profit - My Skyline is Covered in Snail Meat

Alternatively

Let's Import Vehicles From Japan For Fun and Profit - Snails, in MY Skyline?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My Acty was held by the USDA because of "Soil", there was dirt in the floorboards. But it was released after a few days.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sometimes things are just US Customs, but frequently there are multiple other agencies involved.

Landing something doesn't mean anything positive, you really want everything cleared by any involved agency before you make port if possible. Port Storage fees can/are downright nasty, so it's in your best interest to have your ducks laser-linear.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I made some bad assumptions about Wisconsin's automotive freedoms.

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/341/I/10/6

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/foreign-veh.aspx

The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) allows for vehicles to be imported into the country once the vehicle has reached a certain age. However, NHTSA and EPA are not responsible for regulating the operation of motor vehicles on public roads in the U.S. or for titling or registering motor vehicles for such operation: that is the responsibility of the individual states.

...that last line reads like some bullshit states rights nonsense.

I called the DMV just to ask, and the one guy in the special department of the DMV was pretty adamant that Wisconsin's laws supersede the federal 25 year import law of not needing any safety adaptations.

So whatever year the vehicle is, even if 25 years old, it must match the NHTSA reqs for that year or something.

Sounds super dumb. I'm inclined to just throw caution to the wind and walk into the office and try to register it.

I hear that "collector car registration" is an option and what minitruck owners use in Wisconsin.

Anyone here know anyone who registered a non-minitruck in Wisconsin recently?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just walk into an office and try to register it. If they give you poo poo, take your documents and go to a different dmv, or go back later in the week and try another dmv agent.

When I was a kid, WI didn't even require auto insurance.

Edit: check out 'jdm auto imports' as they are located in Janesville. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't exist if the WI dmv doesn't allow imports.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Just walk into an office and try to register it. If they give you poo poo, take your documents and go to a different dmv, or go back later in the week and try another dmv agent.

When I was a kid, WI didn't even require auto insurance.

Edit: check out 'jdm auto imports' as they are located in Janesville. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't exist if the WI dmv doesn't allow imports.

I'll probably do that. I won't mail anything in or else it will basically red flag me if things don't go well. And yeah, I left a voicemail with those guys but was searching for other importers in the states, or even people who've done it in the past.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
95 Toyota diesel 4x4 fire truck at port. Will ship at the end of May. Clean clean clean I am happy.

Also sold my first Skyline out of the three I have tonight. Sold through eBay got killed on fees but made a nice profit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Aww yeah. Curious to see what the redesign is like compared the the one you currently have, if it's just external or not.

A guy from California (!!!) flew out to look at our baby, our 91 Prado that we've had for a while now as our main car.

He's paying full asking price for it. I kinda knew he fell in love with it just based on the pictures and video we have of it but it's a whole other thing to see it happen in person. He'll treat it right.
"Do you know how much street cred I'll get in Long Beach with this thing?" - the buyer :v:
It's such a good truck. I hope the green one we have on the way is at least as good. We will miss this one deeply.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 5, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Driver dog

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Y’all keep buying the cool stuff before I can acquire the parking space to store something old and fun :smith: looks like I’ll just have to focus on stuff built from 2000 forward then.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice sale Kaker!!!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

I tell my broker clear X and he does whatever he does and sends me an invoice with a bunch of papers attached and 2 pages of those say HOMELAND SECURITY and it means that this vehicle has been accepted as not a threat to AMERICA and can be here.

I just think you are worrying too much and have a lovely customs broker

Please don't spread misinformation to folks who deal with other ports. You have the luxury of being on the east coast which means things are more relaxed.

Tacoma is by the book no shortcuts taken.

To the other guy Sound Brokerage will get you through it, they are good people. The agents don't care so much about the bill of lading, they only really care about the jdm title and translated copy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That Prado is mint, good to see that the new owner will treat it well

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

To the other guy Sound Brokerage will get you through it, they are good people. The agents don't care so much about the bill of lading, they only really care about the jdm title and translated copy.

Yeah it just got released for pickup. Turns out Port of Baltimore doesn't issue the coveted "stamp" and does everything electronically so I guess the driver doesn't even need to drop any papers off. Sound Brokerage called them and figured it all out. They are for sure coming from a place where things are more strict, such as Tacoma and Long Beach. I appreciate learning all of this but it took a while to come to this conclusion and made me pretty anxious.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

French Canadian posted:

Yeah it just got released for pickup.

:woop: congrats! That sounded stressful

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Snowy posted:

:woop: congrats! That sounded stressful

It's partially my own doing...I think I'd do it again if I had the $$$.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

French Canadian posted:

It's partially my own doing...I think I'd do it again if I had the $$$.

The whole time I was thinking that I would have had the same worries in your position, doing it for the first time.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

French Canadian posted:

I'll probably do that. I won't mail anything in or else it will basically red flag me if things don't go well. And yeah, I left a voicemail with those guys but was searching for other importers in the states, or even people who've done it in the past.

I think you’ll be okay — I grew up in Madison (still keep a room there) and have registered all different types of ill poo poo there; CSB’s ‘69 Gillig “Other” with a 6-digit VIN didn’t raise so much as an eyebrow. I’ve never done a fresh import there but just try it, I think you’ll be fine

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Alright, now it's becoming challenging to find a driver and today is the last day of free storage....I hope my goon-recommended driver-finder-coordinator can make it happen. Possibly the bid was started too low...so we bumped it up. Apparently the distance between Baltimore and Wisconsin means it's mainly double-decker carriers that would bid, but because my camper is a bit tall it's harder to find someone.

I am trying to get ahold of the port to see what storage fees are.

edit: Okay, we are opting to just pull the vehicle out of the port and move it to secure storage. It's probably a good idea because as it turns out that while we have a driver lined up for the long haul, they wouldn't get it until 7-10 days from now. But we might find another driver sooner. It also means the cost could be a bit lower to reflect not needing a TWIC card or spending extra time getting the vehicle out of port, etc.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 7, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
How many days do you get? I get 20 free days geez man everything is difficult for you on this one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, French Canadian’s posts are what has me almost willing to ask if I could pay the goons in here a service charge to just deal with this poo poo when I find something I want

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Only got 5 days unfortunately. Dunno why. Port of Baltimore sucks?

edit: Yeah it sucks.

But for example, LA is only 7 days. Tacoma is 30 days.

And I might miss the cutoff today because the driver thought it was being exported or some crazy poo poo and we're down to the last 15 minutes before closing haha. Plus they close on weekends. Lame!

edit 2: lmao the short-run driver couldn't find the vehicle for reasons I cannot understand (even though he does this all the time, according to my transport coordinator) but he said he figured it out at the end, but because they were closing he must try again on monday. And the port won't charge me storage for the weekend for some magical reason. I do have Saturday free fortunately but it's not open on the weekend anyway. Maybe he knows the people who work there...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 7, 2020

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah right they are taking their girlfriends out for joyrides in your cool car, ‘couldn’t find it’ my rear end.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Hahaaaa...don't put that thought in my head.

If there's a poop in my toilet when it shows up :arghfist::mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
If the port isn't open you aren't charged for those days, you always get whatever free days PLUS weekends. I'd think you'd be charged on Monday but maybe not idk, you've had so many problems and I thought I had it bad with Snailpocalypse.

Prado left our hands today.

But we also have the MR2 back with new belts, seals, water pump and tires. Belts were all original to the car from December of 1993, tires were 5~ years old but already out of round. Cleaned up the exterior but have yet to detail the inside. Goddamn is this thing fun.