Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Since I unlocked the draft token, can I draft now but wait to actually play the games until weeks from now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Since I unlocked the draft token, can I draft now but wait to actually play the games until weeks from now?
It's apparently a trad draft token (or was) so you could literally use it in trad and not have until april to actually do the draft.

If you do ranked it closes on the 14th as was stated earlier when we were all* thinking they'd finally have pod drafting but nah worlds or whatever is paper converted to arena client XD

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
We already knew the draft stuff is only at a pre-development concept stage since they said as much a month ago, anything else was always pure daydreaming.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Bust Rodd posted:

The ramp mirror is nuts because neither deck plays removal just Agent.

I've been having great fun with simic ramp. The nonsense you can get up to when your opponent doesn't disrupt you is like playing with cheat codes on. I literally played krasis for x=10 to dig for a finale which I also played for x=10, on the same turn.

Agent and thassa is fun and powerful but nothing quite beats giving your whole board +12/+12, haste, trample, and vigilance out of nowhere.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m way more interested in Uro/Cavalier set ups than Agent/Thassa, this might be the first time all year I’ve openly disagreed with my beloved Arena Decklists. I think 2 thasa main is good but I leave my agents in the board.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Ive been using 2 finale, 1 agent, 1 end raze 2 thassa mainboard. Uro complements cavalier perfectly, it's ridiculous.

I saw a decklist that had four agents and 1 krasis, that can't possibly be right.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is anyone else a little annoyed at the high power level of the last two sets? Everything feels pushed, and while I guess the answer to playing against good cards is to play with good cards, it makes it harder if you're trying to gradually build up your collection over the course of the set instead of buying up a bunch of poo poo all at once.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Is anyone else a little annoyed at the high power level of the last two sets? Everything feels pushed, and while I guess the answer to playing against good cards is to play with good cards, it makes it harder if you're trying to gradually build up your collection over the course of the set instead of buying up a bunch of poo poo all at once.

No, I got a ton of playable stuff from drafting Eldraine and my collection is stronger than when I was trying to buy packs. Also I had to spend a whopping 4 UC and 2 mythic wilds to make my current standard deck.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Eldraine yes because it featured multiple cards that needed to be banned

THB seems fine.

They've said that this is the power level they're shooting for with future sets so things should level out eventually I guess.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Magic Underwear posted:

Ive been using 2 finale, 1 agent, 1 end raze 2 thassa mainboard. Uro complements cavalier perfectly, it's ridiculous.

I saw a decklist that had four agents and 1 krasis, that can't possibly be right.

The list I've been using has only 1 krasis, but I've been wanting to change it up some. Feels a little too reliant on Nissa and Thassa+Agent. (Thassa & agent are tons of fun tho)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sinteres posted:

no.

the game (and the entire business model for every ccg) is designed for people to get the cards, so they're going to make good cards to entice people to open booster packs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

no.

the game (and the entire business model for every ccg) is designed for people to get the cards, so they're going to make good cards to entice people to open booster packs.

The power level of the last two sets is definitely higher than normal. I don't know if you're suggesting power creep is just natural because it helps sell cards (which is true, but they learned that it has consequences down the line before when they realized how painful it is to have to decrease the power level when it gets too high) or that there will just be good cards in every set, but either way I don't think that's really what's going on here because:

Wezlar posted:

They've said that this is the power level they're shooting for with future sets so things should level out eventually I guess.

That's true. I have a shitload of gold saved up, so I guess I should stop being salty and just draft until I get sick of it and then buy packs until I don't feel outclassed anymore. I do think my preference overall is for a lower power level, even aside from comparing my cards to new cards, but I guess I'd better get used to it. Or just stop playing if I still don't like it once I have better cards.

cenotaph posted:

No, I got a ton of playable stuff from drafting Eldraine and my collection is stronger than when I was trying to buy packs. Also I had to spend a whopping 4 UC and 2 mythic wilds to make my current standard deck.

I'm such a hoarder by nature that I actually forget about wildcards sometimes. Guess I'd better look at some deck lists and see if I can find something low cost that looks fun.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I really don't think much in Theros is insanely pushed except the red Yawgmoth's Will (and that only affects eternal formats), everything else is pretty reasonable power level wise. Certainly nothing on the level of Oko or Once Upon a Time

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
thassa's oracle is badly designed but it's not apparent except in formats which are already fundamentally broken, and also pioneer

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
THB rules. This standard is fun as hell and is a breath of fresh air after WAR, M20 and ELD. Limited ELD was fine, but I'm liking THB so much more.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Doltos posted:

This might be the worst limited set they've ever made. The sheer amount of combat tricks and nigh unanswerable threats makes this feel like a complete luck fest.

what combat tricks? star mantle? what else is even there

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
For Mac people, GeForce Now is now released and their free option gives unlimited 1hr long sessions, which is perfectly fine for Arena. I've been using this for the last four months in beta, and it's worked very well. The only drawback is that Arena updates may not get immediately applied so you have to wait a few hours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sinteres posted:

I'm such a hoarder by nature that I actually forget about wildcards sometimes. Guess I'd better look at some deck lists and see if I can find something low cost that looks fun.

Yeah, I have this issue as well. 30+ mythics, 40+ rares, don't even know how many commons/uncommons.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

drainpipe posted:

For Mac people, GeForce Now is now released and their free option gives unlimited 1hr long sessions, which is perfectly fine for Arena. I've been using this for the last four months in beta, and it's worked very well. The only drawback is that Arena updates may not get immediately applied so you have to wait a few hours.

How do you link Geforce Now with Arena? Or is the option just available there as a F2P? Would absolutely love the option to play "natively" on mobile.

I've personally been playing using Parsec, and sometimes the internet between my PC to Arena's servers just drop even when literally everything else is OK, so I'm forced to play with proxies and such. So if I can skip the "middle man", that would be awesome.

The 1 hour long session means I need to log out & in after every BO3 matches though, and with the waiting time etc, that may be a bit troublesome TBH.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

drainpipe posted:

Who gives a gently caress about stupid Mac users... it works on SMARTPHONES, bro!

edit: uhh with no "drag" support that I can see, so you can't scry/surveil properly among other things. But if you're banging out RDW daily quests it should be fine while you're on the shitter

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 5, 2020

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

quote:

At the very least you need to have a mouse you can connect to your phone. You can get away with clicking for most things like playing cards but you can't reorder triggers or scry and the like because you can't click and drag.

Nevermind then. That's a dealbreaker.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

srulz posted:

Nevermind then. That's a dealbreaker.

By the way this is entirely Nvidia's fault for not having support. If you're streaming from your home PC, the smartphone "Steam Link" app supports proper drag with your finger when you set it to "Direct Cursor Mode".

It's a shame the freeware Moonlight app doesn't support drag either, because the stream quality is much higher than Steam Link, especially when you're on a data network.

edit: Still, everyone should sign up for the free thing and you can use the "Send Feedback" button that's front and center to feature request drag support. I'd think they'd add it pretty quick if everyone's hassling them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 5, 2020

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Please assist, and critique the hell out of me:

Draft.

Be gentle (not really, let me have it) :ohdear:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Who gives a gently caress about stupid Mac users... it works on SMARTPHONES, bro!

edit: uhh with no "drag" support that I can see, so you can't scry/surveil properly among other things. But if you're banging out RDW daily quests it should be fine while you're on the shitter
hope you never mulligan lol

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Top-decking Nylea's Forerunner in this game is definitely the funniest and stupidest way I've ever won a match

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Eldraine is a lovely pushed set that actually ruined multiple formats at release and completely punched a hole in any faith we had in Play Design. It also killed Standard until Theros came out. Also it has awful flavour in that the fairy tale references being stapled on to a Camelot set that had nothing to do with each other is readily apparent.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Draft.

Sage of Mysteries is pretty bad, even if you're going to mostly use it on yourself.

Unknown shores is unplayable in a 2 colour deck, and even questionable in 3.

You have at least one Hateful Eidolon too many. Yes it's good with Mire's Grasp but even then you're playing a 1/2 that has little board impact and you're only getting card parity unless you hit both Grasps. Eidolon is at its best in decks trying to recur Sentinel's Eye/Mogis's Favor multiple times to really get ahead on cards.

You're really underrating Riptide Turtle. Blue is weird in this format because a lot of the play for blue is flash/instant (even without the payoffs) and being able to leave up the fork of Gull/Turtle/Omen/Thirst/Counterspell on your opponent's turn is a good way to get ahead. I wish you had the 2 Turtles you passed instead of Grim Physician (unplayable) and Amulet (not good in a 2 colour deck that doesn't have Escape).

P3P11 Glimpse of Freedom over Stern Dismissal is a very interesting pick since you have no ways to deal with opposing enchantments (except 1 Pharika's Libation), but also no way to use the many cards that are going to end up in your graveyard.

On: Glimpse of Freedom
Out: Trav Amulet, Grim Physician, 2x Hateful Eidolon, Sage of Mysteries, Unknown Shores

Omen/Glimpse act as psuedo lands and 16 might be ok here, though you may need to go 9U/7B? If you're not comfortable with that, cut Triton Waverider or Harpy for an Island.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

hope you never mulligan lol

I play BO1, I really never do. Either it's a snap-keep or concede.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

I liked eldraine's flavor even though they forgot to add a good witch. Also at least it had the decency to get it's tremendously unfun 3 mana planeswalker that shuts down huge portions of the game banned where I still have to play against both of war's every other game

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Draft.

P1P8: Sage of Mysteries is bad. It can't block so you just end up spending a card to mill yourself (maybe), which isn't really worth it.

P1P12: I actually like the turtle here. It's really good against Escape creatures, since it blocks them all but doesn't kill them.

P2P3: Beserker is not great if you aren't attacking a lot, and your build is leaning towards the control side of things. Deny The Divine seems much better for you.

P2P5: Unknown Shores sucks rear end. Go with lantern even though it's unlikely to make your deck.

It's an ok draft but nothing special. You kind of got screwed by never seeing an escape creature in your colors. I also think you should try and prioritize things that deal with escape creatures (such as the three cards i suggested). Slower decks really need some way to keep their opponent from just forcing you to trade with a loathesome chimera over and over or whatever.

You really need to cut back on lovely one drops though. You need to be weary of any creature that cannot reliably enter combat with your opponent's creatures, they can be a huge liability if your opponent is just playing creatures and attacking with them. Sage of Mysteries does nothing without escape stuff (you do not want to be milling your opponent in this format, there's way too many nasty escape creatures you could accidentally enable). Eidolon does nothing unless you also have a mire's grasp.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thanks everyone, I was using the LSV card ratings though mtga tool. Thought I was doing it with double mires grasp and final extinction.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

P1P8: I would have taken Naiad over Sage, Sage is just a terrible card.
P1P11: With the beginnings of a UB control shell I'd have gone Deny over Kraken. In my experience UB tends to not have many ways to trigger constellation.
P1P12: Turtle is very good for reasons Lone Goat already mentioned. Even if you're not a UB deck that leans heavily into control, they're still good to gum up the ground while your evasive threats win the game.

P2P1: I think Omen of the Sea is worth discussing here, it's probably the best blue common and card filtering is important in control. It's a close one between Devourer and Omen for me. It turns out that Devourer is the right pick here, since you do get an Omen, Thirst and Glimpse later on.
P2P3: I don't like Berserker in this archetype, Deny the Divine makes it into the deck more often.
P2P5: Like Lone Goat said, Unknown Shores should never be in a 2 colour deck. Omen of the Dead is more likely to be played here (though it probably doesn't make the final cut), with 2 self-mill cards and a high-value target to recur (Nightmare Shepherd). Even Alirios who is great ground fodder is a fine target.
P2P10: Turtle

I'd go with Lone Goat's suggestions for deck construction, it's a shame the only Mogis's Favor was in P1P1. I might still play 1 Hateful Eidolon but it's debatable. The deck is serviceable and should get a few wins just from playing out threats and killing stuff with the efficient removal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Drewjitsu posted:

Thanks everyone, I was using the LSV card ratings though mtga tool. Thought I was doing it with double mires grasp and final extinction.

The ratings are not particularly useful. Be guided by your own experience of what the cards do, not those.

They give you a solid idea what the super bombs are, but they're occasionally very, very wrong about what the dreck is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

It's apparently a trad draft token (or was) so you could literally use it in trad and not have until april to actually do the draft.

If you do ranked it closes on the 14th as was stated earlier when we were all* thinking they'd finally have pod drafting but nah worlds or whatever is paper converted to arena client XD

Oh I see now, the Mastery Pass token says it is only for "Traditional Draft" entry, therefore it is:

a) Not ranked, so stalling as the season goes on won't help my win odds?

b) The option of "Traditional Draft: Theros Beyond Death" is the only option I'll have until the next set rotation?

Do I have that correct? (edit: jeez if I can max out the wins that's more than half the gems I need for the next mastery pass... only 2 losses allowed though)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Oh I see now, the Mastery Pass token says it is only for "Traditional Draft" entry, therefore it is:

a) Not ranked, so stalling as the season goes on won't help my win odds?

b) The option of "Traditional Draft: Theros Beyond Death" is the only option I'll have until the next set rotation?

Do I have that correct? (edit: jeez if I can max out the wins that's more than half the gems I need for the next mastery pass... only 2 losses allowed though)

Yes, that's correct. If it goes well it's an excellent outcome. Be sure to check in with the thread before you start playing if you're unsure.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, that's correct. If it goes well it's an excellent outcome. Be sure to check in with the thread before you start playing if you're unsure.

Haha thanks... I'm extremely unsure as I've never drafted except omnipotence, which was BO1 and pretty straightforward.

Seems I've already been hosed with my P1P1 rare option?:

My spidey sense says Pharika's Spawn could be the best value here, followed by Dreadful Apathy?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

thespaceinvader posted:

The ratings are not particularly useful. Be guided by your own experience of what the cards do, not those.

They give you a solid idea what the super bombs are, but they're occasionally very, very wrong about what the dreck is.

Most of them tend to land pretty well, but at the very minimum one should read the commentary as the ratings were never meant to be looked at in a vacuum.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Haha thanks... I'm extremely unsure as I've never drafted except omnipotence, which was BO1 and pretty straightforward.

Seems I've already been hosed with my P1P1 rare option?:

My spidey sense says Pharika's Spawn could be the best value here, followed by Dreadful Apathy?

Yup grab Spawn it's excellent and first pickable over many rares, certainly that one.

Not getting all three rares on colour and good is not necessarily going to make you lose. It's painful, but not critical, especially with uncommons that good.

Kanfy posted:

Most of them tend to land pretty well, but at the very minimum one should read the commentary as the ratings were never meant to be looked at in a vacuum.

The analyses are useful, but I find the numbers worse than useless most of the time. They're rated in isolation, typically, and you're never taking them in isolation. It doesn't matter is a generic 2/2 for 2 with minimal upside is a poo poo pick, if it's the best pick for your deck, because you need 2-drop creatures more than you ned whatever else is higher-rated.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 5, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Yup grab Spawn it's excellent and first pickable over many rares, certainly that one.

Not getting all three rares on colour and good is not necessarily going to make you lose. It's painful, but not critical, especially with uncommons that good.

The analyses are useful, but I find the numbers worse than useless most of the time. They're rated in isolation, typically, and you're never taking them in isolation. It doesn't matter is a generic 2/2 for 2 with minimal upside is a poo poo pick, if it's the best pick for your deck, because you need 2-drop creatures more than you ned whatever else is higher-rated.

Welp it was a tossup between Pharika's Spawn and Dreadful Apathy but I wound up doing Dreadful Apathy since I was too antsy for a reply. In hindsight it was maybe right call since no other black bombs showed up. I drafted the rest of the cards mixing my common sense along with that LSV limited review someone mentioned, and also referenced the 17lands.com Win Rates for cards to give me some hints.

All-in-all I got pretty hosed as two of the 3 rares were lands and the other was Shatter the Sky, and there were no super-obvious bombs at all in white nor black.

Despite no "great" cards I seemed to get a fairly coherent "play some white weenies and pull some removal and resurrection out of my rear end". Here's every card I pulled that wasn't the off-color stuff forced on me as last-picks:

I assume Green is not worth splashing for even though there's Siona?

One neat trick I read was that I can Flicker of Fate in response to a Dreadful Apathy exile, to place it on something else. Or should I leave it in the sideboard?

It's too bad I couldn't bag more Auras like Sentinel's Eyes to abuse the Dawn Evangels further. Should this be enough to rush people down, and how on earth do I design a sideboard? There's barely enough cards for a deck.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ok, I have a silly question. How the hell did this guy pull out Drak?

1st off you can see no red mana to be seen. Before I took the screenshot the was only 6 total blue or black mana on the table. Also, no artefacts or enchantments

Nothing has been exiled and this is his entire graveyard