Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RabidWeasel posted:

Apparently it got removed because someone decided that having unrealistically useful crucibles made from metal was a huge affront to reality, and coding in a system to represent crucibles getting fatigued when used was too difficult.

To some people the latter would mean let's just leave it until things can be fixed properly but that's not the CDDA way. Go find some clay!

They did the same thing with the stone pot, which I think was in the more survival tools mod and which I can't remember playing without. The good news is that you can just dig up clay with a few hours and a stone shovel but...Then it's just pointless busywork that leaves you with thousands of litres of soil that you can't do anything with.

Nevets posted:

Considering every item in the game has hitpoints already it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to just have 'makeshift' tagged items take damage when used. Eventually that rock you tied to a stick with grass blades falls apart after you use it the 50th time.

It's much easier to remove a JSON entry than it is for these guys to open an IDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

Halp how do I master the technology of "cup that can get real hot"

lostech, sorry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anticheese posted:

Then it's just pointless busywork that leaves you with thousands of litres of soil that you can't do anything with.

Well, you can make earthbags. But crafting the canvas sacks is a pain. Hope you like rag picking!

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Anticheese posted:

They did the same thing with the stone pot, which I think was in the more survival tools mod and which I can't remember playing without. The good news is that you can just dig up clay with a few hours and a stone shovel but...Then it's just pointless busywork that leaves you with thousands of litres of soil that you can't do anything with.

It's much easier to remove a JSON entry than it is for these guys to open an IDE.

Clay is easy to find now - there are deposits by the rivers that give you about 20 per hour with no waste. As common as metal really. The hard part of the recipe is the kiln, but if you're at the point in the game where you need a crucible it's not a problem.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The construction kiln and forge are both easy but tedious, you need 40 rocks each. You can usually get a few from homewrecker-ing a small boulder but plan to spend 10-15 IRL minutes playing find the rock.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Playing on latest experimental and it seems that I get a blocking bug every time I make a new character, I tried some slightly older builds and they all have the same issue. Does anyone know a fairly recent build which doesn't have this problem?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I rolled a few new characters on a ~1wk old build last night with no errors. I can get a specific build number later when I get home if you still need it.

What’s the error message?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

code:
DEBUG    : Error: data/mods//dda/../../json/items/armor/coats.json: line 491:14: Duplicate snippet id

"snippet_category": [
      {
        "id":
             ^
              "patched",
        "text": "A jacket made from denim.  Provides decent protection from cuts.  This one is haphazardly covered with patches featuring metal band logos."
      }

FUNCTION : bool main_menu::new_character_tab()
 FILE     : src/main_menu.cpp
 LINE     : 778
I actually went and fixed this by removing the entire snippet in question from the json but it just moves on to a similar one in another clothing file so presumably there has been a recent pull which added a bunch of broken poo poo. I had a quick look on the github and couldn't figure out when it was since I couldn't see anything recent which changed this part of the file.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

code:
DEBUG    : Error: data/mods//dda/../../json/items/armor/coats.json: line 491:14: Duplicate snippet id

"snippet_category": [
      {
        "id":
             ^
              "patched",
        "text": "A jacket made from denim.  Provides decent protection from cuts.  This one is haphazardly covered with patches featuring metal band logos."
      }

FUNCTION : bool main_menu::new_character_tab()
 FILE     : src/main_menu.cpp
 LINE     : 778
I actually went and fixed this by removing the entire snippet in question from the json but it just moves on to a similar one in another clothing file so presumably there has been a recent pull which added a bunch of broken poo poo. I had a quick look on the github and couldn't figure out when it was since I couldn't see anything recent which changed this part of the file.

Would be useful to know what mod it was. I think you can get the full path if you...um...copy error to file and/or clipboard, one of those options. I’m guessing one of the mods you’re running is trying to duplicate-patch some JSON entity that is already being set either in stock or some other mod earlier in the load order.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wait I just re-read that path and it looks like the “dda” mod (stock mod?) is referencing something in the main data folder? I’m not in front of a computer right now so I’m just spitballing. What happens if you pick the option to ignore similar errors?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not running any mods except no NPC needs, if you tell it to ignore it does the same thing which is just drop you back to the main screen instead of going to character creation.

E:

I figured it out, they refactored a bunch of files and I lazily didn't do a clean install because I wanted to keep my config files, which ended up duplicating all the stuff that got refactored which caused the bug

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 1, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm digging the new buildings, both base and modded. Haven't played since 0.C, and they'd only just begun making buildings that weren't mostly-empty boxes. The juxtaposition was occasionally jarring.

Having failed to find useful options in three houses and a hardware store, one of my dudes ducked into a museum. Five minutes later, they burst out clad in an unholy combination of chainmail, plate, lorica segmentata, and with a kabuto replacing the top hat they'd entered with, wielding an ancient Chinese bronze polearm because it was the only weapon in there that wasn't stone age or a lovely replica.

My latest character just walked into a weed dispensary and walked out with 53 marijuana plants. I could go all :2bong: but mostly I'm interested in all the thread I can strip off them.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

My latest character just walked into a weed dispensary and walked out with 53 marijuana plants. I could go all :2bong: but mostly I'm interested in all the thread I can strip off them.

Hold on, you can get thread from weed? How good is the return?

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

Hold on, you can get thread from weed? How good is the return?

I think it gives 200 plant fiber per plant which is just thread with a different name. Speaking of weed does anyone know how to harvest it from planters? On my last game I found a basement grow op but the only thing I could do was fertilize the plants, nothing showed up on the crafting, construction, or disassembly menus and smashing the planter made the plant disappear. I only managed to disassemble a single plant that was sitting by itself on a shelf in the back room.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

PolarPear posted:

I think it gives 200 plant fiber per plant which is just thread with a different name. Speaking of weed does anyone know how to harvest it from planters? On my last game I found a basement grow op but the only thing I could do was fertilize the plants, nothing showed up on the crafting, construction, or disassembly menus and smashing the planter made the plant disappear. I only managed to disassemble a single plant that was sitting by itself on a shelf in the back room.

Maybe they were only part-grown? I never do crop or plant growing so I'm not really sure how that works. Every time I've encountered a weed farm in a basement, I could just pick them up same as any other item.

Might be a bug also.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

PiCroft posted:

Maybe they were only part-grown? I never do crop or plant growing so I'm not really sure how that works. Every time I've encountered a weed farm in a basement, I could just pick them up same as any other item.

Might be a bug also.

They were mature plants. :shrug:
But I also have a bunch of mods on and run the latest experimentals so a bug is as likely as me overlooking something obvious.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
NPCs... are good??? What a time to be alive.

I mean, I did have one hiccup where I told the dude to guard the car while I climbed a radio tower, then forgot to tell him to follow me again before taking off, resulting in him jumping out and running back to the tower the next time I parked. But otherwise my shelter buddy has been really helpful. Even if the notation about him helping craft and wash and yank parts off cars is purely a placebo, it makes me feel good about bringing him along.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
I want my NPC to rip apart a car while I am gone. They aren't. Some googling suggests it is because the car 'belongs' to my faction. How do I declaim the car? If that is not the issue, what else could it be? (The car is in a deconstruction zone, I have all of the necessary tools in a storage zone, the NPC has enough mechanics skill to at least start, and I have told them both 'do vehicle work' and 'disassemble vehicles', with neither resulting in anything)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What the hell are these messages I'm getting about strugling to wake up? I've been eating boiled dandelion greens and fruit. What does this stupid god damned game want from me?

\/\/\/It's not giving me the messages associated with weight gain/loss though\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 5, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Being over/underweight nukes your health, I think. I haven't validated that hunch by looking at the code yet.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Being over/underweight nukes your health, I think. I haven't validated that hunch by looking at the code yet.

It does, though being overweight tends to tank it harder then under I think. Too far in either direction and it well eventually kill you by starvation or heart failure or something but honestly I think you'd probably have to be trying to achieve something like that in most characters assuming they fixed tree obesity.

I think just hanging out in the overweight range doesn't really have a health malus?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I spawned a very obese player for the trait points and I definitely notice the health malus when trying to heal.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Ok having played more with Magiclysm I will say it has one pretty glaring flaw.

One of the things I really like about bionics in this is that there are two ways to progress with them, gaining more powerful CBMs and gaining more power storage. Getting new CBMs is reliant on random loot so you can be unlucky and go through lab after lab never getting anything useful and that can suck. However because you'll also be finding power storage in those same labs you'll still be getting stronger and so it doesn't feel like a waste of time even if you're unlucky. Magic doesn't work the same way, mana is determined by intelligence and a couple of mutations so it's hard to increase with a hard cap on how high you can go. So you're just at the mercy of RNG on whether you get any more powerful when you're searching for new magic stuff.

This wouldn't really be a problem by itself but Magiclysm has basically set itself up as opposed to bionics, bionic power lowers your mana and mana is finite so you have to keep your bionic power quite low if you want to be able to cast spells. So now not only is progression in Magiclysm purely dependent on RNG but if you want to use it you have to give up the consistent progression of bionics as well which is really making the late game drag because I come out of 90% of trips basically empty handed.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What the hell are these messages I'm getting about strugling to wake up? I've been eating boiled dandelion greens and fruit. What does this stupid god damned game want from me?

\/\/\/It's not giving me the messages associated with weight gain/loss though\/\/\/

Check your weight under your stats in the character screen, there are messages for getting too skinny about your stomach being empty but there's no notification for gaining weight as far as I know, you just have to check every now and again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's probably an easy enough way to mod Magiclysm (or a modular addon for it) that removes the conflict with bionics, so you can be a cyberwizard. Likewise it would be harder but probably still feasible to make some sort of consumeable permanent mana capacity upgrade, in the form of potions, reagents, gems, or what have you. Might be worth looking into, as modding for the game is surprisingly simple and any mods would be included as editable source.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It's a bit weird that it's mutually exclusive with bionics but also has a technomancy spell path.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

There's probably an easy enough way to mod Magiclysm (or a modular addon for it) that removes the conflict with bionics, so you can be a cyberwizard. Likewise it would be harder but probably still feasible to make some sort of consumeable permanent mana capacity upgrade, in the form of potions, reagents, gems, or what have you. Might be worth looking into, as modding for the game is surprisingly simple and any mods would be included as editable source.

I tried looking and as far as I can tell mana is hardcoded so it would be more effort than I'm willing to put in.

edit: there is a value mutations can have called mana_modifier which is defined through .json so now I'm just adding that to a random mutation my character has to offset my bionic power, good enough for now.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 5, 2020

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Oh well actually jokes on me, I had been keeping my bionic power around 500 because of Magiclysm but apparently there's a bionic power cap of 2100 now so I guess I take everything back about it being a well designed late game progression system.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dire Lemming posted:

Oh well actually jokes on me, I had been keeping my bionic power around 500 because of Magiclysm but apparently there's a bionic power cap of 2100 now so I guess I take everything back about it being a well designed late game progression system.

lol a few weirdoes among the in-group loving hate the bionics system for some reason. Probably because it can be used to minimize busywork - first thing to go was the Solar Panels CBM, then power cap got nerfed. I'm predicting the next casualty will be one or more of: Internal Furnace, Ethanol Burner, or the UPS charger one, assuming some of those haven't got the axe already.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dire Lemming posted:

I tried looking and as far as I can tell mana is hardcoded so it would be more effort than I'm willing to put in.

edit: there is a value mutations can have called mana_modifier which is defined through .json so now I'm just adding that to a random mutation my character has to offset my bionic power, good enough for now.
Wait, it's a mod, right? I assumed the whole thing would be defined through .json. Does Cataclysm support other formats for mods now?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

Wait, it's a mod, right? I assumed the whole thing would be defined through .json. Does Cataclysm support other formats for mods now?

A lot of the mods that are included in the core download have hardcoded elements or are entirely hardcoded with the .json only turning it on or off. Actually it's annoying, I had a custom setup for stats through skills last time I played but it's hardcoded now and while its not using the old 1 stat per 3 skill levels it's still bad, just in a different way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dire Lemming posted:

A lot of the mods that are included in the core download have hardcoded elements or are entirely hardcoded with the .json only turning it on or off. Actually it's annoying, I had a custom setup for stats through skills last time I played but it's hardcoded now and while its not using the old 1 stat per 3 skill levels it's still bad, just in a different way.
drat, I didn't realize. What filetype are the mods then? Like it's hard to believe they were ingrained into the .exe or anything like that when more and more options and details have been offloaded to .json over the years.
It's a shame because I did want to pull Magiclysm apart for study.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

Spare me the apologia, copsucking and hand-wringing, Someone needs to backhand these loving dipshits. Like, this thread is filled with cute discussions about the completely imbecilic symptoms of a greater Dipshit Disease, like 'ooo guns are bad' or whatever but like, all jokes aside. These people are loving bastards.. the problems with the game are direct ego driven vandalism of the work of people who are less terminally malignant than the proud few old hat assholes working tirelessly to revert anything good. There's only so many times they can hide behind a veil of spineless worms before it starts to look less like a joke. There's a good game in Cataclysm... that was NOT free, by the loving way. These people aren't the cause of that they're the problem with that.

Daily reminder coolguye isn't. I'll be a meanie to any weenie I want, nerd.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chill, baby

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

When did they kill the solar cbm?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

drat, I didn't realize. What filetype are the mods then? Like it's hard to believe they were ingrained into the .exe or anything like that when more and more options and details have been offloaded to .json over the years.
It's a shame because I did want to pull Magiclysm apart for study.

You can still edit a lot of the Magiclysm stuff directly in the .json files. It's just that most of the functions are hardcoded, but the guy made it so you can easily change values and create new spells. For example, there's an hardcoded magiclysm function to create a field, but you can use json to specify what type of field, its AoE, and its duration. Everything is explained in this file: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/doc/MAGIC.md

While the Devs are sometimes weird about the core content, it seems the main guy is happy to let people add mod specific code as long as it's disabled if you don't use the mod.

Edit: I'd add that magiclysm and Stats Through Skills are exceptions. Most mods are *not* using mod-specific code. StS is different from most mods because it used Lua code, and Lua support has been deprecated as of a couple months ago since there wasn't many mods using it and nobody wanted to keep it updated.

SpacePope fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 5, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Reading between the lines, it looks like survivor gear might be going away: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/37524

quote:

Summary

SUMMARY: Content "Obsolete survivor helmets"

Purpose of change

Easy target to start reworking survivor armor at. Adding bits of leather and metal to a helmet isn't going to get you anything better than a standard combat helmet and a hood. You can't resize a kevlar helmet. There's not really any reason for these to exist.

I guess this wouldn’t be the worst change in the world if hoods went to normal layer, helmets went outer, and headlamps/night vision goggles remained strapped. The bolded line makes me worried about what is coming next.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 6, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Angry Diplomat posted:

lol a few weirdoes among the in-group loving hate the bionics system for some reason. Probably because it can be used to minimize busywork - first thing to go was the Solar Panels CBM, then power cap got nerfed. I'm predicting the next casualty will be one or more of: Internal Furnace, Ethanol Burner, or the UPS charger one, assuming some of those haven't got the axe already.

Would be a real shame to see Ethanol Burner cut. I have fond memories of the old random bionic start giving me Bender, the cyborg with booze powered demolition equipment.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Reading between the lines, it looks like survivor gear might be going away:

On one hand, this hurts because putting together your full Survivor Outfit always felt like a cool milestone, a real "I'm on my way" moment.

On the other hand, I kinda get it since it basically obsoletes everything else.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Sinatrapod posted:

On one hand, this hurts because putting together your full Survivor Outfit always felt like a cool milestone, a real "I'm on my way" moment.

On the other hand, I kinda get it since it basically obsoletes everything else.

That's really more of a problem with everything else rather than a problem with survivor armour. All of the other top tier armours have some combination of high encumberance, no storage or less than 100% coverage. Survivor armour is basically the only armour that's better than being unencumbered.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I for one am thankful that the game is giving me more reason not to wear clothes or express myself in ways outside of the devs mathematically optimal character build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I wouldn't mind seeing survivor armour go away if we got more robust armour modding, but what we'll actually get is probably the removal of every last piece of armour that can 100% protect you against instantly dying in one turn with no recourse from a lucky burst of gunfire. Because, you know, that's realistic, and therefore good.

On the bright side, Bright Nights and/or some other overhaul mod(s) will probably pick up survivor armour. I can't even imagine enjoying this game without one of those and a bunch of the simulationism disabling options, anymore.