Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's kinda big for a Switch game, crazy huge for Animal Crossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Really looking forward to this. Hurry up, March!

Also, despite not liking Pocket Camp, I have liked a lot of neat furniture/clothing/sets they have and I hope those make it into New Horizons in some way.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

ElTacoGato posted:

Also, despite not liking Pocket Camp, I have liked a lot of neat furniture/clothing/sets they have and I hope those make it into New Horizons in some way.
Animal Crossing is king of reused assets (and that's perfectly okay). I would be shocked if most, if not all of the stuff from PC ends up in New Horizons.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I can just about read the part about needing ein version der software fur online-spiel, is that saying only one person per console for online? It'd be nice if you could do online couch co-op on the same machine like Mario Kart, I think Minecraft has it too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

ElTacoGato posted:

Pocket Camp had some amazing Halloween sets as well as other themed stuff. Totally cool with bringing a lot of those in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

enojy posted:

seems pretty normal?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Animal Crossing for Gamecube was so low-profile, you could launch multiple sessions of it by just taking it out the disc and plopping it into another GC. It ruled. I don't think my friends and I ever came across a situation where it didn't already have everything it needed loaded into the memory, even playing for hours.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I said come in! posted:

You and I are in the same boat, I like doing the daily stuff and collecting things, but am not that creative and so designing my town and house is a chore to me.

I can decorate houses OK (I loved Happy Home Designer!) but designing paths and deciding where things go and overall aesthetic makes my brain hurt.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

enojy posted:

Those beetles don't texture themselves.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gonna be there for the midnight release at Nintendo store because they'll probably give keychains, totebags or whatever with the game.

I've been playing NL since mid December to get hyped about the new one. I'm a little sad that I may not have enough time to get Gracie in town for the checks to get the mega T&T Emporium and haven't met Katrina enough to get her fortune teller shop.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Idia posted:

Gonna be there for the midnight release at Nintendo store because they'll probably give keychains, totebags or whatever with the game.

I've been playing NL since mid December to get hyped about the new one. I'm a little sad that I may not have enough time to get Gracie in town for the checks to get the mega T&T Emporium and haven't met Katrina enough to get her fortune teller shop.

Stopped by the other day. They don't do preorders anymore.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

Animal Crossing for Gamecube was so low-profile, you could launch multiple sessions of it by just taking it out the disc and plopping it into another GC. It ruled. I don't think my friends and I ever came across a situation where it didn't already have everything it needed loaded into the memory, even playing for hours.

it was just an n64 game on a gamecube disc thats why

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

enojy posted:

It's about average to be honest. File size isn't everything though, you can't read much into that other than hooray it'll fit in the empty space on my console memory instead of on my microsd

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Pocket Camp had some amazing Halloween sets as well as other themed stuff. Totally cool with bringing a lot of those in.

Yeah, the Halloween stuff is what I'd had specifically in mind! Fingers crossed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Wait, I never really looked closely at this video until now, but look at this god drat island map:

I was worried after the demonstration map that things were going to have to be kind of basic, but that's a super exciting layout! I want that!

Original map for comparison:

So with a sample size of two, some things I suspected have been semi-confirmed. For whatever reason you start out without access to cliffs. The airport/Nook area is between two branching rivers. That means you need to craft a vaulting pole to actually go up and touch a cliff.

Why is that important? Pine trees have only been shown growing on top of cliffs. All of the trees on the lower level have been leafy trees.

So we've basically confirmed that there's an exploration aspect that's tied in with crafting and stuff. You craft stuff to get to new areas, and those areas have materials that let you craft other things. Presumably there's a way to scale cliffs, but even if it's easy to do/craft, you need a vaulting pole to even get to the cliffs.

This is, as everything about this game, exciting and worrying at the same time. I love the idea of expanding my area of influence on the island. Discovering rugged new untamed areas and expanding my central development out into those areas over time, eventually putting in bridges and stairs to connect it all together. That sounds delightful. However I do not like the idea of being constrained between two rivers and a beach to start with. I want to build my first tent on more exciting terrain! As long as your tent isn't the place you have to build your house, this will eventually be fine, but it is a trade off.

I was worried that the airport being between branching rivers would mean island layouts would be boring and samey, but this picture has put all that to rest. Gonna have some lovely unconventional islands. I wonder if you can have it so one of the rivers flows out east or west, giving you a corner bit to start with... I'd like that.

Wait... I thought the core premise of this one was that we got to terraform our own islands. Did I just make that up and have been hyping myself up over it for months?

edit: Oh geez, re-watching the trailers it does seem like I wholesale invented that fantasy and just believe it to be true. I Star Citizen'd myself :-(

More reasonable hope and expectation: Are the "desire paths" still in? Where the grass naturally fades over time in areas of high running traffick, or is it removed in favour of the purposeful path system?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 5, 2020

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Wasn't it pretty easy in New Leaf to cycle through random layouts and pick one? It's not the same as terraforming but I am hoping for something like that. Did I hallucinate that in New Leaf?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GoodBee posted:

Wasn't it pretty easy in New Leaf to cycle through random layouts and pick one? It's not the same as terraforming but I am hoping for something like that. Did I hallucinate that in New Leaf?

You had a choice of a few different layouts in New Leaf, but IIRC at some point you would have to choose one of the ones already presented to you or restart the game to get another selection.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

You had a choice of a few different layouts in New Leaf, but IIRC at some point you would have to choose one of the ones already presented to you or restart the game to get another selection.

I think I would be too paralyzed to start if I had the option to build the whole island from scratch. I'd be cool with terraforming a random island as long as I could do it at any point during the game too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If the Island Getaway Package involved you creating your own unique island, there would be even more reason to fear Tom Nook

I was thinking about Amiibo Support for AC just now then realized that was dumb because I didn't own any Amiibo, then realized that it was I who is stupid because I do own 6 Amiibo and they are all Animal Crossing ones. I have the two construction llamas, Blathers, Isabelle, KK Slider, and the pinkish dog from Happy Home Designer. I wonder if any of them will have any neat effects.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tom Nook is God

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just hope we get more than 10 custom tile slots per character this time, although I guess I wouldn't need as many now that pathmaking is an actual game feature instead of something we cobble together by making a bunch of brick tiles.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
What kind of preorder bonuses are available for the US? I saw some pretty cool ones for the European release (or it may have been Japan), but if we're just getting some bullshit keychain I'll just get a digital copy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stool Sample posted:

What kind of preorder bonuses are available for the US? I saw some pretty cool ones for the European release (or it may have been Japan), but if we're just getting some bullshit keychain I'll just get a digital copy.

Bullshit keychain at Best Buy, journal at Target (sold out), nothing at GameStop (yet?)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Argue posted:

I just hope we get more than 10 custom tile slots per character this time, although I guess I wouldn't need as many now that pathmaking is an actual game feature instead of something we cobble together by making a bunch of brick tiles.
Yeah, with real path making tools, I don't see any need for a bunch of custom pattern mules anymore. In fact, even if you can slap patterns on the ground they're going to look terrible with everything else being so high resolution.

In fact custom clothes patterns would also look real bad, and I don't even know how they'd interact with the new textures and everything.

Maybe... maybe there won't even be custom textures at all. Is that a crazy thing to imagine?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

enojy posted:

Bullshit keychain at Best Buy, journal at Target (sold out), nothing at GameStop (yet?)

Pre order is sold out, but day of you could still get the journal. I’m debating between trying for that and going digital. Most first party Nintendo games I go physical for. I’m having a hard time deciding :ohdear:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1224919665694121985

Who needs a direct when you got Taiwan Ads?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Bicycles in the background!

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

glassyalabolas posted:

Stopped by the other day. They don't do preorders anymore.

Right they don't do pre orders, you have to reserve an RSVP for the event when it becomes available online and you come at your time slot instead of waiting on line. They've started doing this since Link's Awakening.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Idia posted:

Right they don't do pre orders, you have to reserve an RSVP for the event when it becomes available online and you come at your time slot instead of waiting on line. They've started doing this since Link's Awakening.

Ahh, I haven't been up there since the Switch launch. I only stopped by for switch reservation for the SO. Good to know, thanks!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

You know how sometimes when you buy poo poo you don't need you get buyer's remorse? I feel the exact opposite of that with my AC switch purchase, especially given its selling out everywhere. I pre-purchased mine from Best Buy on Saturday and I am very happy about this. I wonder how surprised Nintendo is by this? I know limited edition nintendo hardware has sold well in the past, but stuff like Pokemon Sword/Shield Switch is still available.

Also, seeing this information keep coming by way of marketing material leaks and the hype surrounding every little thing is pretty great and fun.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Pre-ordered a special edition Switch for my wife from Best Buy Canada! Failed to get one for a friend from EB Games at midnight since their website failed spectacularly, had to drive there in person before they opened.

Then all the stores put more up and I impulsively pre-ordered one for myself...

Can't wait!! We played Wild World every night for over a year. That was the first and last game she's played. She's been watching YouTube videos analysing every little leak, so she's hyped too.

Would a third island on my OG Switch serve any purpose???

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Argue posted:

Having to make a new character and house and go through the tutorial and stuff just to store more patterns was so absurd.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

all i want is the option to use the soundtrack from the original gamecube game because it's the best animal crossing soundtrack and in fact among the best soundtracks from any game ever

It's true and you should say it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/acpocketnews/status/1225325821180686336

Cloud saves confirmed, but apparently not through the standard system. I wonder if it's because the game save is technically 'outside' of the Switch online user profile that gets backed up.

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

I'm playing more Pocket Camp to tide me over a bit and now my greatest fear is that some of those systems are going to worm their way into this game. Nobody likes premium currencies but drat if they don't make a lot of money.

There's zero indication anything like that is happening but I'll mildly worry about it until I see otherwise.

PeePot posted:

Would a third island on my OG Switch serve any purpose???
Depending on how much of a hoarder you are, maybe using it as a warehouse dumping ground? I ran out of space in New Leaf across 4 characters worth of storage slots and stuff attached to letters in the post office. Had to use a spreadsheet to track it all and it wasn't exactly ideal.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'm cool with paid DLC, which I would guess will DEFINITELY be a thing, but I would guess all of that pocket camp mobile nonsense will stay far, far away.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I've seen enough reactions to Sims DLC to know what levels people are okay with and where it breaks the line so much the general gaming populace becomes aware of what's going on.

Like the time there was a Sims 4 stuff pack for animals, but you had to own the actual Sims 4 expansion pack for animals to get any real use out of it. It was DLC for DLC.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm cool with paid DLC, which I would guess will DEFINITELY be a thing, but I would guess all of that pocket camp mobile nonsense will stay far, far away.

the only paid dlc i want is the gamecube soundtrack

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only paid dlc i want is the gamecube soundtrack

To YouTube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I would pay for Pokemon Home type phone DLC. So I could chill with my dude and my animal friends at work. Even as just a jukebox with some fishing thrown in, or a mobile version of your museum collection.
COMPLETELY separate from the gacha ridden Pocket Camp.

If they do DLC with unique furniture or animals it would be unfair to non-DLC completionists. I'd buy it in a heartbeat though. :P