Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Ray Donovan has been canceled.

That sucks. Cliffhanger ending and a whole lot of talented actors on that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Now that I’m done with The Americans, what’s the next semi-depressing hour long drama I should watch? I was thinking Halt and Catch Fire.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HCF is great, join us.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yes to H&CF. Watch it!

While you do that, I'll pick up where I left off The Americans sometime in late S1

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I finally finished H&CF last year after bailing on the first season when it aired, and it was hands-down the best thing I watched in 2019. Everyone should watch H&CF, it’s great.

I am extremely bummed that Terminator: Dark Fate crashed and burned because Mackenzie Davis deserves to be the face of a tentpole franchise and rake in that sweet sweet summer blockbuster money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I am extremely bummed that Terminator: Dark Fate crashed and burned because Mackenzie Davis deserves to be the face of a tentpole franchise and rake in that sweet sweet summer blockbuster money.

Yeah but not that one.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Is it worth a watch a least? I had no idea she was in it! I definitely want to keep up with her and Kerry Bishe after their great work in H&CF

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pahuyuth posted:

Is it worth a watch a least? I had no idea she was in it! I definitely want to keep up with her and Kerry Bishe after their great work in H&CF

It has good bits and bad bits, overall I think I liked it enough. The general consensus is that it’s the best of the T2 sequels, altho that doesn’t mean a huge amount.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pahuyuth posted:

It felt like a really safe and really cynical attempt at doing a soft reboot of the Terminator franchise, like the polar opposite of Genisys going all in on fanservice and references to old movies yet without actually being a better movie. All you're missing is Schwarzenegger trying way too hard to be wacky while also reminding the audience of the fact that IRL he cheated on his wife with a latinx housekeeper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's like you have your choice of three poo poo sundaes but one if them had cherries.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Now that I’m done with The Americans, what’s the next semi-depressing hour long drama I should watch? I was thinking Halt and Catch Fire.

We binged Halt and Catch Fire late last year and loved it. You'll fall in love with all five main characters, but also hate them at times. It's an excellent show. Might even be in my Top Ten dramas of all time.

I'll also recommend some of the usuals: The Wire, The Leftovers, Hannibal, Justified, Twin Peaks, Deadwood, Fargo, Better Call Saul, and the underrated Bosch.

If you want to expand that to genre shows, Person of Interest, LOST, Fringe, and Prison Break are all great fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

pahuyuth posted:

She’s great in it but the film as a whole is extremely dull. It’s frustrating because it feels like it might be one rewrite away from being a solid Terminator film if you just remove Arnold and Linda Hamilton entirely. They’re the worst things about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

When the summer movie season ends this year, Disney+ heats up. Disney CEO Bob Iger announced today that Marvel Studios’ first streaming show, The Falcon and Winter Soldier, will debut in August. It’ll be followed by season two of The Mandalorian in October, and WandaVision in December.

As part of a Disney earnings call, Iger also revealed that there’s more Mandalorian to come after season two, which could very well include spinoffs for other characters. He added that, for the time being, television is the focus of the Star Wars universe. As for Marvel, he said there were seven Marvel shows in various stages of development in addition to the three that were featured during the Super Bowl this year, making 10 total. Since we only know of eight right now (The Falcon and Winter Soldier, WandaVision, Loki, What If..., Hawkeye, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel), that leaves two unnamed.

From Gizmodo

e: and March 5 for Castlevania

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 5, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How did I miss this???

https://www.newsweek.com/willow-disney-plus-tv-series-reboot-sequel-ron-howard-warwick-davies-1484853

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because it's being created by Lawrence Kasdan's hack son who was responsible for Solo. Nobody wants to acknowledge its existence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

feedmyleg posted:

Because it's being created by Lawrence Kasdan's hack son who was responsible for Solo. Nobody wants to acknowledge its existence.

Ah.

gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed Solo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

I enjoyed Solo.

How?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm good with some pew pew and some bang bang.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solo's issue wasn't the execution, which was fine, it was the premise, which was impossible to deliver on.

Oh and he co wrote Solo with his "hack father" incidentally

Great article about the worst show on TV

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

Nobody cares about or remembers Willow aside from the generic attachment anyone who sees a movie when they're 8 years old does so it's not like there's any legacy to besmirch or level of quality to fail to live up to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sleeveless posted:

Nobody cares about or remembers Willow aside from the generic attachment anyone who sees a movie when they're 8 years old does so it's not like there's any legacy to besmirch or level of quality to fail to live up to.

what the gently caress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He got you. You got Manned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
THIS WILL NOT STAND

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Solo's issue wasn't the execution, which was fine, it was the premise, which was impossible to deliver on.

As I always say every time Solo comes up, it would have been a whole lot better if it had focus, and was centered around one or two of the beats, such as maybe his early life and escape from Corilla and his training to become an Imperial pilot would have been a really cool movie. Especially since they were gunning for this one to be a series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, Han Solo is one of the most iconic heroes in American pop cinema, and the Han Solo that exists in the heads of SW fans is an unattainable ideal, I cannot think of a worse SW character to try and recast. There's no actor alive who's going to be able to pull that off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They should have cast Robert Pattinson. He can do no wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

They should have cast Robert Pattinson. He can do no wrong.

Well I stand corrected, there is ONE actor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

It was absolutely both. Yeah, the idea was rotten from the core, but it was also executed in an extremely cynical and incompetent manner. Nobody gives a poo poo where Han got his last name from, or wanted to see a movie where we saw him get every piece of his origin in one adventure, or brought back Darth Maul. They could have still made a solid Han Solo prequel western movie where it was just some space adventure a rogueish smuggler went on.

zoux posted:

If Lawrence's instincts were to create a film that wrong-headed and he was given free reign over the script (and if the reports are true about him throwing a shitfit when Lord and Miller tried to change things), then I'm comfortable with calling him a hack at this point in his career, sure.

Sleeveless posted:

It's one of the small handful sword and sorcery movies that is Actually Good rather than just passing the low Good For Its Genre bar. It's not some great film outside of its charm, but it's a solid flick and well-remembered. It won't have some angry fandom that's furious it didn't follow the book sequels, but I don't think you're giving it enough credit—the 37 people who remember it really like it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 5, 2020

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's been awhile but I remember Willow being good also.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That applies to the original Dark Crystal movie a lot more than Willow imo

The New Pope has the best title sequences week after week

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Willow loving rules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess mostly I'm exhausted of people deciding to pre-hate shows. We will see this phenomenon in action whenever Lindelof's next project is announced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes agreed but also what kind of joyless gently caress doesn't like WILLOW

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For some people, not liking things is their personality.

My personality is liking things, such as posting too much and giving my opinions to people who are going to yell at me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Iron Crowned posted:

As I always say every time Solo comes up, it would have been a whole lot better if it had focus, and was centered around one or two of the beats, such as maybe his early life and escape from Corilla and his training to become an Imperial pilot would have been a really cool movie. Especially since they were gunning for this one to be a series.

The need to check all the boxes on prequel beats, all in ONE film, was such a bad idea.

You could do a whole film of "how Han met Chewie"

Instead in one film we get Han meeting Chewie, Lando, getting the Falcon, doing the Kessel Run, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen any of the modern Star Wars stuff and don't really care about that franchise, but I am now very inspired to pull the trigger on Disney+ so I can finally catch up on the MCU films... maybe give the modern Star Wars films a whirl... NO! To rewatch Willow!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zoux posted:

I mean, Han Solo is one of the most iconic heroes in American pop cinema, and the Han Solo that exists in the heads of SW fans is an unattainable ideal, I cannot think of a worse SW character to try and recast. There's no actor alive who's going to be able to pull that off.

Yeah, Ford IS Solo, would probably be better to just do a movie about a new smuggler dude

But then you have to write.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

For some people, not liking things is their personality.

My personality is liking things, such as posting too much and giving my opinions to people who are going to yell at me

That's why we love you zoux.

Except for all those bad Trek opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just wait until they reboot Indiana Jones. Again, Robert Pattinson.