Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Was anyone watching the Michigan-tOSU game near the end? Simpson got fouled, they reviewed it, kept the foul, and assessed a technical to Simpson for somethingorother and that was basically ballgame. No idea what the gently caress the technical was for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Michigan fan here. Simpson grabbed the guy's Jersey as he was falling and it ripped. In slow motion it looked pretty bad, not sure if he did it intentionally or if it was just a reaction to falling.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn can't be beat (unless you just beat them by like 20)

e: only the fifth time Auburn's ever won in Fayetteville?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 5, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This MSU team just doesn’t have it this year, which means it’s going to the final four

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Apex Rogers posted:

Michigan fan here. Simpson grabbed the guy's Jersey as he was falling and it ripped. In slow motion it looked pretty bad, not sure if he did it intentionally or if it was just a reaction to falling.

Gotcha, I thought they were reviewing a hook-and-hold and even on the multiple arena replays, I didn't see the tug-and-tear.

Really lovely, dumb call to decide a game on, but hey, the Atlantis trident is cursed, so oh well :v:

Henchman of Santa posted:

This MSU team just doesn’t have it this year, which means it’s going to the final four

Yep, 100%.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This seems like a quote that should get a guy fired?

e: first part of this quote

quote:

On postgame radio Mike Kelly asked Cuonzo Martin about the casual turnovers: "We’ve probably spent 10,000 hours on simple jump stops. But it’s being able to handle pressure situations and being under control." (more)

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1224915046142218240

I mean, you're throwing everyone on your team under the bus here as a coach. And they're all your guys.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I haven't seen a better representation of Michigan season than this video from the tOSU game.

https://twitter.com/eric_shap/status/1225068763227283456?s=19

A massive positive that the coaching concepts/execution generated so much open stuff, a massive negative that the talent isn't getting the ball in the drat basket.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah - Howard will be fine as a coach.

This team wasn't a great shooting team last year and then the top two shooters went pro and the third has been hurt the past 8 weeks or so.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

This seems like a quote that should get a guy fired?

e: first part of this quote

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1224915046142218240

I mean, you're throwing everyone on your team under the bus here as a coach. And they're all your guys.

It's incredible how progressively worse Mizzou has gotten under Martin. He's gotta be gone after next year, especially with the excitement Drink has brought to the football side.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Was Martin ever a good coach?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech beat OU in a close game. After the game Chris Beard called out mystery players, saying this is the first time he's had players that don't want to take coaching and only want to play defense on some possessions. We're not sure if he's talking about Shannon (who had a miserable game, scoring 1 point in 20 minutes of play) or about Ramsey (who is the worst defender on the team, but also we knew that was the weakest part of his game coming in to the season, and frankly the reason why he's a borderline 1-and-done). Or even possibly about Moretti who has been slumping hard as a Junior.

The Tech defense has been worse this year than the previous two for sure. I mostly chalked that up to personnel, lacking a guy like Tariq Owens or Zach Smith who could stop the other team at the rim in case they did get the ball in to the middle. But sounds like there's some effort stuff going on as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They hired Martin for exactly two reasons and both of them immediately got hurt.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Regnevelc posted:

Was Martin ever a good coach?

I think he was a legit prospect after Missouri State and I do think he got the short end of the stick at Tennessee a little bit. Since then though, yeah not really as far as I can tell.

I guess a pretty good job his first year at Mizzou considering they got nothing out of MPJ and were using a bunch of Kim Anderson's guys, but man he's trending down hard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He recruited well at Cal but couldn't do anything with it. Jalen Brown is a borderline all star in the NBA and he looked awful under Martin.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If nothing else, this has to guarantee the next hire is an offensive guy. At least make the losses fun to watch and not slogfests where the Tigers inevitably end up losing 65-53

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Uh, this is at halftime.

https://twitter.com/umhoops/status/1225220002380382209

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa isn't playing well at all but Purdue isn't missing anything it's insane. Our defense is bad but they're hitting every contested 3

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Iowa @ Purdue recap:

https://twitter.com/therealrobz_/status/1225232042419421184

Purdue scored on that possession.

Now they'll proceed to forget how to shoot over the next few days and poo poo the bed in Bloomington Saturday.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Otzelberger is back to being rear end. If only there was some sort of measure of a coach being able to do more with less, like a win over a more talented team in a high pressure tournament setting. Alas, those in charge at UNLV don't know of such things.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Iowa @ Purdue recap:

https://twitter.com/therealrobz_/status/1225232042419421184

Purdue scored on that possession.

Now they'll proceed to forget how to shoot over the next few days and poo poo the bed in Bloomington Saturday.

The ball bounced right off his face to Purdue player for a wide open three iirc, but I was barely watching by then. Just could not have possibly gone worse. Hopefully they flush it and beat the poo poo out Nebraska this weekend

Iowa dropped like 20 point in KenPom's defense rankings in one night lol

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Kenpom now projecting a four way tie for first in the conference. No elite team, but crazy stacked 1–12

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

They hired Martin for exactly two reasons and both of them immediately got hurt.

Hey now, only one got hurt immediately and he also got hired to recruit St. Louis well. So far, he's missed out on the three best players that came out of there since he's been hired and of the two he's gotten, one transferred already and the other has gotten worse after looking pretty good at the end of last season.

Things are going great!

Mike_V posted:

If nothing else, this has to guarantee the next hire is an offensive guy. At least make the losses fun to watch and not slogfests where the Tigers inevitably end up losing 65-53

The annoying thing is their offense would at least be efficient if people could hit the open shots it generates. Unfortunately, no one can consistently.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Kobe King left Wisconsin because the Strength and Conditioning coach dropped the N bomb while Recounting a story from his NBA days.

Yeesh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The coach already resigned too, which made a whole lot of "he's making it up so he can get a transfer waiver" takes from Wisconsin fans look bad within like an hour

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah, there were a ton of awful takes out there on this, especially in the media.

I wonder if Andy Katz will apologize.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
uhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/annarbornews/status/1225553343629713409

Wrecked the athletic director's wife's car, lied to cops about his name, said he was walking down the avenue when he noticed the crashed vehicle, came clean, and got a ticket. No alcohol involved, likely driving too fast in an icy (but maybe not!) area. Yikes.

Edit: ok this makes a lot more sense now

Brendan Quinn, The Athletic posted:

A source with knowledge of the incident, speaking to The Athletic on the condition of anonymity, said the car in question was an eight-year-old Toyota RAV4 registered to Chrislan Manuel, the wife of Warde Manuel. That car had been handed down to Evan Manuel, their son, and a student manager for the Michigan basketball program. Evan Manuel and Simpson live in the same apartment building and Evan Manuel, according to the source, loaned Simpson the car on the night of the crash.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 7, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hahahaha if you want to beat Auburn you're gonna need to stretch that lead to 20+ cause it's not gonna hold otherwise

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

You have to appreciate Auburn's commitment to winning in the most Auburn way possible at all times.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

PotatoJudge posted:

Iowa @ Purdue recap:

Oops, I was wrong.

gently caress Bob Knight now and forever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Michigan finally got Livers back for a whole game and beat MSU (though gently caress Izzo's constant end-of-game fouling, gently caress).

Which leads to me paying attention to My Favorite Part Of Postgame Wins:

Juwan is very tall.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress Izzo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bob Knight is a bad person and anyone who likes him is also bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa had an 8 minute scoring drought in the first half. With 8 minutes left in the second they're up 80-48 and already have the walk ons in. Nebraska is real bad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Duke-NC update: gently caress

https://twitter.com/DukeBrasil/status/1226314866245427200

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
K got accidentally forced to play a modern lineup and Tre Jones is just roasting poor Anthony (who to be fair has had a great offensive game)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 9, 2020

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

MourningView posted:

Bob Knight is a bad person and anyone who likes him is also bad.

All the puff pieces on his “return” to IU, coming “out of exile”, it’s all really stomach-turning. Why can’t all these people just die in obscurity

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

elentar posted:

All the puff pieces on his “return” to IU, coming “out of exile”, it’s all really stomach-turning. Why can’t all these people just die in obscurity

ESPN's broadcast of Purdue-Indiana today was just utterly nauseating. Knight is a complete garbage-tier human being.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, on the one hand, Knight did take TTU to the sweet 16. On the other hand, he really was the worst.

Speaking of TTU... Down 17 at one point, came back to win by 5. Suck it horns.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

Iowa had an 8 minute scoring drought in the first half. With 8 minutes left in the second they're up 80-48 and already have the walk ons in. Nebraska is real bad.

Hoiberg is going to get frustrated coaching Nebraska, and come back to ISU when Prohm is fired next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
What's wrong with WSU? I know we (Houston) play suffocating defense, but they're not hitting any of their open looks