Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Seems more like a monopoly board then bingo. Can I put a hotel on "It has vampires"?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Everyone stop what you're doing and read this

https://mangadex.org/title/31395/i-turned-my-childhood-friend-into-a-girl

It's super gay (and also trans, probably).

Also hi thread, I had no idea this thread existed, I stumbled upon it by chance. Hello!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*in watchmen voice*
read it? i read it 35 minutes ago.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

nice

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it got way quicker to this point then i thought it would when i saw it posted in the shoujo thread lol

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mikl posted:

Also hi thread, I had no idea this thread existed, I stumbled upon it by chance. Hello!

this was incredibly cute, thank you!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

, Medusa's presented as bi in F/HA,

FGO and Extella too.

In Medusa's FGO Interlude (where Euryale and Stheno are trying to set Medusa up on a blind date for their amusement) and you point out you're a girl, Medusa says "Oh that's fine. Actually, I- Wait this isn't the time!" or something like that.

you beat me to it :argh:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
oh yay it updated already!

Also Hino san no Baka is really cute, though some aspects of it can be interpreted as harassment.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mikl posted:

If red-eyes is trans then it's not gay. Still good, though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Another FGO thing is off the top of my head can't you give/get chocolate from both genders of servants regardless of which you are?

I think Nasu once said "Mash's relationship with the female MC is platonic" but uh, if you say so. :v:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Arianya posted:

I keep meaning to ask, and I guess this is as good a place as any, but does that character from your av/the setting have more material? I've seen the 3 music videos on YouTube but wasn't sure if that was All She Wrote™️

unfortunately no, though there's sometimes background stuff on the lead creator's blog.

i like her design a lot though :v:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wait when does FGO Nobunaga talk about her (maybe their for avenger nobu?) wives?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Another FGO thing is off the top of my head can't you give/get chocolate from both genders of servants regardless of which you are?

I think Nasu once said "Mash's relationship with the female MC is platonic" but uh, if you say so. :v:
Well it's not always chocolate

Fergus gives you the key to his room

Emiya Alter gives you a loving gun

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Well it's not always chocolate

Fergus gives you the key to his room

Emiya Alter gives you a loving gun

Men give you 'return gifts', women give you 'chocolate'.

It's also Kiritsugu that gives you a gun. Emiya Alter's is more of a downer.

e: Well Kiyohime gives you herself in ribbons, but she's holding a chocolate. :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Moriarty's is the best anyway

Which is fitting because he is himself the best

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mikl posted:

That probably should be changed to a "so trans that it's painfully relatable" and also what Ziegedame said

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

I will read this.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Toalpaz posted:

I will read this.

that was really good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Wait when does FGO Nobunaga talk about her (maybe their for avenger nobu?) wives?
it's not exactly a major bit but kicho gets mentioned in gudaguda 3 and 4, im pretty sure?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

just say lesbian but be prepared for progressive straight guys to launch into passionate explanations of the many multi-faceted meanings of "daisuki" when you do

to the above I don't think you have to overthink whether Lin is really a positive represenation of x if he makes you happy.
if the character makes you, a gay/trans/whatever happy, than its positive representation, imo. though im not really fond of the idea of 'representation' as a term. it's kind of a poison pill because it implies something needs to be everything to everyone to count, you know? like if you're just saying 'a gay character exists in this and is an actual character' i get the term but when you get into 'positive/negative representation' or the nitty gritty of the actual character I think it just kinda becomes an impossible standard. What's positive or negative representation is gonna be different for everyone. There's stuff I'm into and get a ton out of that I'm sure a lot of people here would probably not see the point of or even dislike.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the focus of discussion always being on positive/negative representation also gets things to a point where things just get devalue into lists of bulletin points. over time this creates a diluted narrative people think proper lgbt stories need to fit into and push back against lgbt minority creators when their stories don't fit into and accepts the most rote corporate stories as "true" hallmarks of progressivism because they check some boxes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
yea. it becomes less about reading poo poo by gay/transpeople or stuff that seems to take them at least kind of seriously and more about telling giant corporations what boxes to tick.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

the focus of discussion always being on positive/negative representation also gets things to a point where things just get devalue into lists of bulletin points. over time this creates a diluted narrative people think proper lgbt stories need to fit into and push back against lgbt minority creators when their stories don't fit into and accepts the most rote corporate stories as "true" hallmarks of progressivism because they check some boxes.

This puts my confused attitude into better words than I probably can.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. For better or worse most of the stuff brought up in this thread is the product of an author who put their own thoughts in the story rather than a corporation trying to check boxes. Like even if Fate is a huge franchise now the original game was made independently by a roleplaying DM and his artist friend who was convinced he was the best writer ever

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the important stuff with stories in regards to this stuff is ultimately giving spaces for lgbt creators to put their works out there.

to be clear, imo representation is important its just the way people talk about it is wrong typically. like its not something you should judge individual stories with on a pass/fail system and its not suppose to be the focus. its something you are suppose to use to talk more about the culture as a whole. and if you don't really care about pop culture as a whole you can like safely ignore it and just seek out the stuff ya like personally.

people online just kinda misapply media concepts in the wrong context and is misguided because like, often times these concepts are still created by a predominately non lgbt perspective.
so yeah, space is what is of the most importance

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. For better or worse most of the stuff brought up in this thread is the product of an author who put their own thoughts in the story rather than a corporation trying to check boxes. Like even if Fate is a huge franchise now the original game was made independently by a roleplaying DM and his artist friend who was convinced he was the best writer ever

yeah. and even if fgo is huge now its clear the writers get to do whatever they want, since fate is still an ip thats owned by type moon, which is still a small company founded by a writer and an artist. furthermore its not like they really put any effort into like, promoting this stuff as woke representation the way Marvel teases that maybe the next thor movie will finally have a gay dude in it. It's just in the game.

and its clear its something nasu is just legitimately interested in since Kara no Kyoukai, as mentioned, deals with this stuff (even if in a stumbling, kind of odd way) and he wrote that in literal high school.

And for all of KnK's faults I know at least three people who realized they were nonbinary because of it, so. Yet another example of 'its more about an earnest attempt to engage than checking off boxes' because Kara no Kyoukai literally has a random guy go insane and dress up as Ryougi and go on a murder spree, it seems to literally think of Ryougi's male and female halves as two separate identities, and it's REALLY hung up on the idea that wearing a coat is the most hosed up thing someone assigned female at birth could possibly do and must mean Ryougi is impossible to understand. And people still get a lot out of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
it's not really related but I love the scene where Kokutou goes on a five minute rant about drugs that is just, completely wrong on every level, and when asked about this Nasu just went 'As a college student, I assumed that Kokutou would know a lot about drugs that are used in the nightclub scene. I, the author, did not know a lot about the nightclub scene."

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
not manga but this covers a couple of things requested -- I've been reading this novel series:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/230782-criminal-intentions-season-one

It's more or less Criminal Minds fanfiction with the label rubbed off but has been a fun series that moves quickly and has plenty of action (re: the action request earlier). One of the MCs is bi, the other is demi/gray-ace and it explores that in how their relationship builds. There is also a supporting character who is nonbinary and another who is aromantic as well and each of them get some focus and development over the series so they aren't just brief background appearances.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 29, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

it's not really related but I love the scene where Kokutou goes on a five minute rant about drugs that is just, completely wrong on every level, and when asked about this Nasu just went 'As a college student, I assumed that Kokutou would know a lot about drugs that are used in the nightclub scene. I, the author, did not know a lot about the nightclub scene."
lol, that loving rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
nasu spent all day watching utena and playing dungeons and dragons, you cant expect him to have been to hip 90s japanese parties.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
"he is spreading a street drug that is 20x more powerful than weed" is still my favorite Nasu act of villainy

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That last part is framed in a way it implies that he is not in fact the best writer ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MmYx1ayYTM

I rest my case :colbert:

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 6, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DisDisDis posted:

just say lesbian but be prepared for progressive straight guys to launch into passionate explanations of the many multi-faceted meanings of "daisuki" when you do

to the above I don't think you have to overthink whether Lin is really a positive represenation of x if he makes you happy.

you're right, regardless of what the author intended Lin is cool and good

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Every once in a while I rediscover Tamen de Gushi and binge read it, and it is gay and cute every single time.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
And then it abruptly stops having a plot because it's too gay for the party

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Syenite posted:

Every once in a while I rediscover Tamen de Gushi and binge read it, and it is gay and cute every single time.

same but murcielago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

same but only sense online