Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

B&S is just a sandbox where you fight waves of dudes, but IMO worth it for the peerless physics. It's just completely naturalistic approximation of melee combat: if you could do it with a sword/axe/whatever, you can do it in the game. Weapons have an actual physicality to them. I was hooked when I realized my sweet rubber sword larp moves translated more or less 1:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
It's just a "pick arena and opponents, fight" deal currently. However they just hired 3 people to work on dungeon diving. The next big update, planned for around April, will also add better character models and proper armor deflection and stuff.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

And though I've only played it once, there is a rudimentary dungeon map/mod for blade and sorcery that seems popular.

The Star Wars mods have been REALLY fun to play with, despite the AI being dumb as rocks and it being generally very easy to kill someone with a lightsaber. If you want to feel like you're having a lightsaber duel with a blade and sorcery AI opponent, you're gonna be doing a lot of theatrical moves and not actually trying to win, because if you even swipe lazily with a lightsaber while not paying attention you will have killed your opponent and probably the other three characters crowding around them 🤔

And thanks for the info re: the vive trackers - I had the opportunity to buy for for relatively cheap but I don't think I can justify the expense on two full priced ones to complete the set.

Has anyone used vive trackers for anything else? I've seen people use them for beat saber wands, you just stick them on the end of some handles and you're off to the races with something a bit easier to grip than a vive wand. Dunno if it's worth it but I do rag on the vive wands from time to time

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Blade and Sorcery just feels so right. It's got such an excellent feel, and the swing speed mechanics that force you to slow down to simulate weapon weight are really good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of H3VR and B&S, this game tries to be both

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227160/MENTAL/

(ok not really, but it features both melee and guns)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if Valve had an Index in stock I would have bought it today, I'm hoping I can talk myself out of it before its back in stock

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m still waiting on my replacement lighthouse to ship for the past two weeks. No idea when it will...

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Blade and sorcery is seriously excellent melee combat. I’ve got some mods for fun and it’s just so great to stick people with the pointy end. Even if the NPCs are dumb.

The first time I did a decapitation was with a great sword and my family had to come running to check on me because I was screaming like a little girl who just got a pony for her birthday. :black101:

Arizona Sunshine is a great time too, my 10yr old son refuses to play it because it’s “too scary” ahahahaha :allears:

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 5, 2020

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If people haven't tried mods in blade and sorcery, weapons like the gravity hammer/lightsabers are legitimately wondrous to dump onto new-ish VR users. My sister is well versed in beat saber so asked her if she wanted to try a medieval combat game.

Once my sister found the "slow-mo" button she was cackling like the poster above. Once I opened Pandora's box and gave her unlimited slow-mo and showed her all of the dumbfun mod weapons she was cackling AND golf-swinging NPC's into cliff faces at 400 mph

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah the mods are mostly fantastic, hilarious, or some combination of both. Two of my favorites aside from the lightsaber stuff was a 40k chainsword, and some tacticlol entrenching tool.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else playing HyperDash on Quest? It's a really good feeling shooter and even has a rail you can slide around on. Even though its an Alpha, it's pretty well built. Definitely worth a try. Movement is a mix between Teleportation Dash, On Rails, and physical movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Es-gpMEc18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6nImy2AVzs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of H3VR and B&S, this game tries to be both

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227160/MENTAL/

(ok not really, but it features both melee and guns)

So basically a less-polished Sairento.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let us not forget Boneworks so soon. It does gunplay and swordplay pretty well too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Let us not forget Boneworks so soon. It does gunplay and swordplay pretty well too

Not quite the same way; That's a far more grounded and realistic simulation of physics, especially when it comes to trying to swing melee weapons. Sairento and MENTAL are more about running along walls and effortlessly taking a guy's head off with a flick of your wrist.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Valve is apparently working on a “Steam VR 2.0” whatever that means. Hopefully Home gets some love.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
If any goons wanna hang in VRchat hit me up on discord and we could form a chat group to organize something, maybe this weekend?

If you have VR and have never tried the game (free on steam), do yourself a favor and bask in the insanity that this game can be - there's nothing quite like it.

Discord username is AMINAL#4535

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
it is funny to put people on the plank and watch them freak out...and then you have to weigh whether its funny enough to push them and risk them bonking your expensive toy

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Has anyone tried the REAL mod for GTA V? It looks pretty intense. Does it work with the latest Valve and Oculus headsets? Can they also make a similar mod for Red Dead Redemption 2?

Mod downloads/code page:
https://github.com/LukeRoss00/gta5-real-mod

Video demonstrating the REAL mod in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QD_ggjrK8

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Warbird posted:

Valve is apparently working on a “Steam VR 2.0” whatever that means. Hopefully Home gets some love.

I noticed steamvr beta had a whole new menu last night. It's completely grey, smaller and more consolidated with things like the volume slider and sub-menus now accessed through buttons that open drop-down selections. Buttons for library/desktops/running applications/settings are gone and consolidated into the drop-downs, and I don't like it. I'm not seeing this mentioned anywhere so maybe it's a slow rollout to a small number of people or nobody's using beta.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

i must compose posted:

it is funny to put people on the plank and watch them freak out...and then you have to weigh whether its funny enough to push them and risk them bonking your expensive toy

Don't push them unless they ask you to in advance. Being in VR in public around others is already a huge leap of faith don't be dick.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

nnnotime posted:

Has anyone tried the REAL mod for GTA V? It looks pretty intense. Does it work with the latest Valve and Oculus headsets? Can they also make a similar mod for Red Dead Redemption 2?

Mod downloads/code page:

It gives me a headache :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

Don't push them unless they ask you to in advance. Being in VR in public around others is already a huge leap of faith don't be dick.

Generally correct, but in this case it's kinda the point of putting someone through The Plank Experience.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

nnnotime posted:

Mod downloads/code page:

Man, this looks awesome, but doing a bit of reading it appears that each eye renders out of sync - i.e they're one frame out from each other. Sounds like it was a necessary hack to get VR working. Hopefully more work on it continues and they can fix that. Motion controller support would be incredible!

Part of me thinks that Rockstar put all that work onto the first person mode back in release ahead of VR headsets anticipating eventually porting it, and perhaps La Noire was a proof of concept - but their experience with having to recreate lots of locomotion and other custom mechanics in LA Noire and the lower attach rate of headsets and required computing power probably made them bullish about it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^ at 60fps this might be a problem, at 90-144fps my guess is that the slop in meat-based visual processing, this does not have much, if any, of an impact

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
GTA VR mod looks cool but I learned a long time ago that VR hacks are just never going to be very satisfying.

Just have to look forward to GTA6 in native VR in like 10 years.

Hadlock posted:

^ at 60fps this might be a problem, at 90-144fps my guess is that the slop in meat-based visual processing, this does not have much, if any, of an impact

For most things, but that's the problem. Most. It has to work for everything.

I can imagine there being lots of effects that vary over time, and you're going to have frames where that timing ends and one eye will see it and the other won't and that's bad. If its just a single frame that's not soooo bad, but depending upon how many of said effects are going on and off...

The worst possible scenario would be a strobe light, which would look terrible.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, just ordered the Rift S. Should be arriving between the 8th and the 15th.

Ok Steam, please put VR games on sale now :v:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104380/The_Room_VR_A_Dark_Matter/
The Room VR's page is up on Steam - looks like late spring release. I am very excited about this.

canyoneer posted:

Blade and Sorcery just feels so right. It's got such an excellent feel, and the swing speed mechanics that force you to slow down to simulate weapon weight are really good.
This.
Unfortunately in terms of gameplay the awesomeness of the physics really just meant that the terrible combat AI and enemy animations were too distracting to make the whole thing add up to a really fun experience. It's so close to being the perfect melee combat sim. Sadly I don't expect this to be improved much because melee AI is just hard as gently caress.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
There's a new version of BMBF for Quest Beat Saber out that doesn't break compatibility with the new Camellia pack.

Requires uninstalling the previous version through sidequest but the bookmarking seems to work fine now.

Not ashamed to say I had a lot of fun playing Gangnam Style. The maps for that track are really fun.

Only problem now is that my wife won't give the quest back to me.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
After 9 months, Pavlov finally works with Navi cards and I got to play it for the first time last night, just in time to play a new mod recreating The Hidden from the old sourcemod days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIga_O1DXeo&t=357s

Pavlov alone is recreating the source modding era gloriously and if Valve can open up HL:A it'll just about justify this dumb hobby.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

That's super cool. The Hidden is good times when played with friends.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

treat posted:

I noticed steamvr beta had a whole new menu last night. It's completely grey, smaller and more consolidated with things like the volume slider and sub-menus now accessed through buttons that open drop-down selections. Buttons for library/desktops/running applications/settings are gone and consolidated into the drop-downs, and I don't like it. I'm not seeing this mentioned anywhere so maybe it's a slow rollout to a small number of people or nobody's using beta.

Seems a lot better than the old interface to me. If you have issues with it, maybe post them in the SteamVR suggestions forum. The devs do seem to be reading those, even if they aren't answering.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

El Grillo posted:

The Room VR's page is up on Steam - looks like late spring release. I am very excited about this.

I like the Room games a lot, so I'm pretty hype for a VR game.

Puddin posted:

Not ashamed to say I had a lot of fun playing Gangnam Style. The maps for that track are really fun.

Only problem now is that my wife won't give the quest back to me.

If you have Synth Riders, Gangnam Style is one of the few great custom songs that game has, check it out. btw I really like Gangnam Style as a song even if kpop or rap are not my thing, which is funny as I know lots of people who felt it was totally overrated song when it went viral

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Warbird posted:

I like VR home, but suspect it's like similar skeuomorphic GUI environments that were popular during "multimedia" era of PCs in the mid 90s. They vanish because the modality ends up supporting more efficient interactions than skeuomorphic ones, so over time you choose the easier interface.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm surprised that nobody uses mobile-style interfaces for VR.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

El Grillo posted:

While you’re waiting, early VR escape room game Abode recently got a follow up in, you guessed it, Abode 2. It’s pretty short and I think I like the first one better, but it’s well worth a look if you’re a fan of the genre.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

I like VR home, but suspect it's like similar skeuomorphic GUI environments that were popular during "multimedia" era of PCs in the mid 90s. They vanish because the modality ends up supporting more efficient interactions than skeuomorphic ones, so over time you choose the easier interface.

Social interactions would likely be an exception to this. Most social interactions online are done done through text, which isn't really viable in VR. Skeuomorphic environments have a big advantage in that you can see who you are communicating with and can seamlessly move between conversations in a bigger environment.

Having a good in-vr social platform is going to be a big deal for any multiplayer supporting VR game services.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Any recommendations on VR productivity apps? I’ve been messing around with gravity sketch on the quest and I am a big fan.

Used it to design something to print yesterday and the physicality of it broke up an otherwise monotonous day at the desk.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Has Oculus firmware 13 actually hit the Quest yet? The shuddering using Link was supposed to be fixed in it, and I've seen the posts about v13 coming out, but checking the software and my Quest, everything is still at 12 with no way to force an update.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
I got my Quest on Tuesday and while I've been having a blast both with standalone and with Link, it's not very comfortable to wear and I'm paranoid about the Link graphics quality being lesser than the Rift S. I need someone to talk me off the ledge because I'm close to returning the Quest and getting the Rift S instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dingwick posted:

I got my Quest on Tuesday and while I've been having a blast both with standalone and with Link, it's not very comfortable to wear and I'm paranoid about the Link graphics quality being lesser than the Rift S. I need someone to talk me off the ledge because I'm close to returning the Quest and getting the Rift S instead.

Comfort is obviously all up to you, but I wouldn't call the Rift S a gigantic step up in quality or anything. I argue against the "Never S"'s that post here, but if you bought a Quest it's probably because you wanted wireless so you probably should stick with that.

Comfort is another thing though, if you don't see yourself getting used to it then yeah, I'd probably ditch it.