Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The fun thing for me was figuring out which combinations of people dying would make for the funnest story. Grunt gets a decent dying line in ME2, and Mordin's replacement character is pretty cool, Miranda's death comes right around the lowest point tonally in ME3 so it feels very fitting, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

sassassin posted:

hell, same

she was my romance too

it's weird that the game treated her otherwise as a totally normal enemy, you know, so you could potentially decapitate your former ally with a paladin critical :shepicide:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 5, 2020

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I literally played through the entire first game not understanding what the renegade/ paragon system was or how it affected dialogue. Or even that different choices were consistently “good” or “bad “

It was more fun that way.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
ME 1 Thorian Quest is legit good, my young adult gamer heart was racing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Every 20-something who started the Mass Effect trilogy a Gamer yet ended it unfulfilled:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The best bioware romances were the ones in SR4.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mass Effect had a bad problem with swapping out the person in charge between entries, so whatever was set up to provide fertile ground for a sequel got totally swept away each time. ME1 was good, but kinda clunky in parts and lacked gameplay depth. ME2 was streamlined and fun as hell to play, but did lack a some of the openness that ME1 had going for it. ME3 did alright by the gameplay, added a couple new features, did a multiplayer mode that people loved, but now that the plot had come around, it had no good answers for the questions that the narrative had set up and the central narrative device they settled on to lead to the half-assed conclusion didn't fit at all with anything else and felt stupid and frustrating. It was alright outside of those moments though.

Then ME3 salted the earth so there was no room to do anything with Mass Effect ever again, but I guess Andromeda tried on a low budget and I guess failed, I don't really know, I never played it, I just heard the fallout.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

2 and 3 are not actually "mass effect" games, but some sort of michael bay esque adaptation of the sci fi book for 20-somethings 'Mass Effect' released in the 90s.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mass Effect had a bad problem with swapping out the person in charge between entries, so whatever was set up to provide fertile ground for a sequel got totally swept away each time.

That’s why we’re talking about it in this forum

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

"mass effect" the universe is at least a halfway interesting take on trying to straddle the line between star trek and star wars, with a dash of mil sci fi. not original, but derivative in an interesting way.

unfortunately that universe only really exists in a bunch of codex entries

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*invents entire new universe that is a pastiche of dozens of other properties, with meticulous and intricately interwoven backstory reasons justifying unrealistic tropes while still leaving fertile ground for exploration*
“You can be a fighter, a wizard, or a thief”

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's one of the classic mistakes in writing - escalation before you've explored the material that you already established. how can the audience really care about the stakes if you're asking them to engage with a totally separate medium (encyclopedia entries - not exactly attractive to people who aren't legally married to their model of the enterprise-d) to even understand what's going on? why waste the worldbuilding you've done by throwing a wrench like a galaxy-ending threat into a setting that the player is not even given an opportunity to explore in anything but the shallowest depth?

it's because voice acting is expensive, if you're wondering

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Every 20-something who started the Mass Effect trilogy a Gamer yet ended it unfulfilled:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I liked the heat gauge of the first game. Switching to clips was dumb

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Who What Now posted:

I'm firing a gun forever at this post because it cools faster than it heats

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ammo is basically the same thing with reloading as "cooldowns" they just made it so you need to restock occasionally

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I sometimes kinda wish that Mass Effect was more of a game of Shepard as like the commander of a mercenary group and you had to find your way in the political landscape of the galaxy rather than all the politics of the galaxy being incidental obstacles in the way of fighting the external threat that the exact nature of the council races had no baring on.

Making a game where you could make big choices about things in the galaxy wasn't a new thing by itself, but trying to make all those choices continue to matter and branch from one game to the next was a big ambitious new thing that it's not surprising that they wound up cheating on in the end.

Jazerus posted:

"mass effect" the universe is at least a halfway interesting take on trying to straddle the line between star trek and star wars, with a dash of mil sci fi. not original, but derivative in an interesting way.

For the most part, yeah you don't really see much beyond the codex, but with the Quarians and the Krogan you really do get to dive deep into. With the Hanar, Elcor, Volus, Vorcha, and Batarians you get a general idea of from a bunch of NPCs, and they all act fairly uniquely, but they never really matter much. The Salarians, Asari, and Turians are everywhere, but they don't really establish themselves as being all that much different from humans.

The codex is a great magic trick to make the gameworld seem much deeper than it really is, but it seems like there's a lot of cases of codex writers drifting from plot writers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

poisonpill posted:

*invents entire new universe that is a pastiche of dozens of other properties, with meticulous and intricately interwoven backstory reasons justifying unrealistic tropes while still leaving fertile ground for exploration*
“You can be a fighter, a wizard, or a thief”

at least they had inbetween classes and renamed them as opposed to dragon age lol

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jazerus posted:

it's one of the classic mistakes in writing - escalation before you've explored the material that you already established. how can the audience really care about the stakes if you're asking them to engage with a totally separate medium (encyclopedia entries - not exactly attractive to people who aren't legally married to their model of the enterprise-d) to even understand what's going on?

??? I think you are overestimating the significance of the codex entries. the worldbuilding is sleight-of-hand, an aesthetic choice intended to convey a feeling of groundedness and (at the very least) dampen the sense of camp - a fairly common sensibility in the mid-late 00s. it's on a par with Battlestar Galactica shakycam or Sean Bean dying in Game of Thrones

more specifically it establishes stakes the same way Bioware always does: tagging them to specific supporting characters who explain the stake and how the audience should feel about it. the codex is not required reading

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

2house2fly posted:

Ammo is basically the same thing with reloading as "cooldowns" they just made it so you need to restock occasionally

Yep, all it added was running around an area to pick up all the loot drops after every firefight before you could move on.

People who made infinitely firing guns in ME1 were dumb. Upgrading for damage and firing in bursts was way, way more effective. Cooling was the joke option that people thought they were smart for figuring out.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

sassassin posted:

Yep, all it added was running around an area to pick up all the loot drops after every firefight before you could move on.

People who made infinitely firing guns in ME1 were dumb. Upgrading for damage and firing in bursts was way, way more effective. Cooling was the joke option that people thought they were smart for figuring out.

I'm shooting this post too. I'm still shooting the first post because my no heat gun does no damage, but it's the principle of the thing

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I sometimes kinda wish that Mass Effect was more of a game of Shepard as like the commander of a mercenary group and you had to find your way in the political landscape of the galaxy rather than all the politics of the galaxy being incidental obstacles in the way of fighting the external threat that the exact nature of the council races had no baring on.

Making a game where you could make big choices about things in the galaxy wasn't a new thing by itself, but trying to make all those choices continue to matter and branch from one game to the next was a big ambitious new thing that it's not surprising that they wound up cheating on in the end.

For the most part, yeah you don't really see much beyond the codex, but with the Quarians and the Krogan you really do get to dive deep into. With the Hanar, Elcor, Volus, Vorcha, and Batarians you get a general idea of from a bunch of NPCs, and they all act fairly uniquely, but they never really matter much. The Salarians, Asari, and Turians are everywhere, but they don't really establish themselves as being all that much different from humans.

The codex is a great magic trick to make the gameworld seem much deeper than it really is, but it seems like there's a lot of cases of codex writers drifting from plot writers

the Asari are all smoken' hot sex babes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which of the three had the best gameplay, I recall that 2 was better than 1 but I never played three

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

sassassin posted:

The series went to complete and utter poo poo with the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC. Idiotic, self-referential writing focused on solving mysteries that didn't need answering, and waves of enemies dropping in on your head in lieu of actual set piece design. Everything before it is great, everything after just garbage that I'm still mad about nearly 8 years later.

But that was the high point of the entire series?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Which of the three had the best gameplay, I recall that 2 was better than 1 but I never played three

3 was like 2 but everything was on easy mode even at the highest difficulty. They removed the two types of protections (shield and biotic) meaning all your powers always worked, cooldowns were really short so you could spam the same moves over and over, and wow you could roll.

Multiplayer was about spamming moves and combo-ing them for constant biotic/tech explosions, but even the easiest multiplayer difficulty was harder than insanity single player so it wasn't a completely mindless waste of everyone's time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jeza posted:

But that was the high point of the entire series?

Nah it was poo poo, mate. Not as poo poo as what was coming afterwards but they were on the downward slope and picking up serious speed.

The suicide mission was the high point. The first time, played blind. The music, the tension of not knowing wtf was going to happen. Thane's in the vents and you're on the edge of your seat. Majestic.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

sassassin posted:

Nah it was poo poo, mate. Not as poo poo as what was coming afterwards but they were on the downward slope and picking up serious speed.

The suicide mission was the high point. The first time, played blind. The music, the tension of not knowing wtf was going to happen. Thane's in the vents and you're on the edge of your seat. Majestic.

Look, I don't claim to remember much of anything, and yeah, it's not better than the culmination of an entire game (the best one of the bunch), but as a self-contained side-quest it was the best there was. Nobody can tell me that throwing people off the ship on into that giant lightning storm isn't just the greatest thing.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Wild Horses posted:

2 and 3 are not actually "mass effect" games, but some sort of michael bay esque adaptation of the sci fi book for 20-somethings 'Mass Effect' released in the 90s.

Nah they're both 10x better

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I had the most fun playing 3 but I think 2 probably had better actual mechanics

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jeza posted:

Look, I don't claim to remember much of anything, and yeah, it's not better than the culmination of an entire game (the best one of the bunch), but as a self-contained side-quest it was the best there was. Nobody can tell me that throwing people off the ship on into that giant lightning storm isn't just the greatest thing.

I'm telling you exactly that. It's the point where encounter design became strictly 'stand in cover, enemies spawn in at you, usually just straight up dropping from the sky', the story is dumb as poo poo (the shadow broker is just a big tough alien wow mind blown), and most of that story is only told in awful tie-in comic books.

It's the beginning of just about every awful trend that would eventually turn Bioware from the nerd darlings of game development to a complete joke. Shephard is now legend, please buy DLC (and comics).

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Whorelord posted:

Nah they're both 10x better

i didnt say they were better or worse.
I really enjoyed 3 multiplayer especially, by far the apex of the "cover based shootans" video games with loads of fun classes and things.

But mood, story and what the narrative valued went off the rails at the BEGINNING of me2 and basically never recovered.
It turned into a pseudo-fascist power fantasy about earthican marines and lost any nuance it might've had.
I still enjoy them but ME1 was totally different.

2house2fly posted:

I had the most fun playing 3 but I think 2 probably had better actual mechanics

rolling made vanguard play a lot more frantic and crazy so im gonna go with "no" on that

I'm sad what they did with biotics in general though from 1 to 2 and 3 , unless you played the aoe biotic field teleporting assassin in multiplayer you felt like a gimp having to plink away shields ad infinitum

also the coolest me1 gun mod combo was pistol with explosive rounds, hth

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 6, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Who What Now posted:

E: I also turning a sniper into a pinpoint rocket launcher. Or shotgun into a explosive blasty thing.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Playing as anything but vanguard meant you were playing it wrong

Hth

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drat horror queefs posted:

Playing as anything but vanguard meant you were playing it wrong

Hth

Always Be Charging

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jazerus posted:

i recall the hype for ME1 being all about how there was an entire universe you could explore and thousands of planets you could visit and then 99.999999% of them were copy/paste from like 1 of 3 templates and the only planets that had interesting content to engage with and explore were the ones that were directly related to the plot. ME1 was my No Man's Sky where the initial hype did not at all match the product that was delivered.

a while back i read something about some of the rough draft plots for what ME1 could have been and apparently at one point Shep and the specters were going to be more like intergalactic private dicks that went around trying to solve space crimes despite the official space police not endorsing them and space detective noir sounds like that would have been a lot more interesting than what we actually got.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Lmao that they had already locked down the PC is Shepherd and is a Spectre but they had no idea what either of those meant

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

They dropped the whole Spectre gimmick in the secong game which is such a shame. I just wanted to be a space vigilante/cop/James Bond :smith:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

My Mass Effect companion list (original content donut steal)

Goku-tier:

Wrex
Mordin
Thane

Bro-Tier:

ME 1 Garrus
Kaidan (eat hot nuke Ash)
Grunt
Dominatrix tentacle milf
Jack

Only Pick Them Because They Are Powerful or Mission Locked Tier:

Slab Bulkhead
Dat rear end
Legion
Blue Space Waifu
Anime Space Thief
Bugface McGrumpy
Purple Anime Waifu

[X] To The Vents - Tier:

Zaeed
Jacob
Space Vampire Dominatrix Daughter
Dream Cyber Waifu with combat heels

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

legion is Good, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Kaidan is good. I want him and Carth Onasi to kiss.