Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
He just wanted a drat coke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mystic Mongol posted:

I dunno. Yeah, the first half of ole Sweet Mask's pitch was ludicrously overbearing and dumb. But he was listening to Saitama's comments, he took him aside and explained pretty concisely why he's scared without there being a perfect human hero, and even when he was being rude he was listening, sort of. Ole Saitama's being uncharacteristically rude this chapter.
I'd only read 119 when I made that post

Now of course I'm pleasantly surprised that ONE managed to make Sweet Mask sympathetic

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
ginger ale hater here, gently caress sweet mask

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Saitama not paying attention to long detailed conversations is peak Saitama but the guy definitely cares and doesn't mind Sweet Mask.

He showed up to all the events, paid attention as best he could and even offered to hang out again in the future. Pre-Genos Saitama wouldn't have done any of those things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, Saitama listened and his big takeaway was that Sweet Mask should be himself. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if Saitama thinks that Sweet Mask thinks of himself as a monster metaphorically, rather than noticing that Sweet Mask is indeed very much literally a monster.

Kinda wondering if keeping Black Sperm and the dog around is important. Saitama accidentally heading a movement of how not all monsters are bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, Saitama listened and his big takeaway was that Sweet Mask should be himself. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if Saitama thinks that Sweet Mask thinks of himself as a monster metaphorically, rather than noticing that Sweet Mask is indeed very much literally a monster.

Kinda wondering if keeping Black Sperm and the dog around is important. Saitama accidentally heading a movement of how not all monsters are bad.

Superalloy Darkshine had basically the same thing happen as Sweet Mask. The difference is that Darkshine went "Oh, cool. Workout's going good.", and just went on with his life. And Zombieman is a product of the House of Evolution, same as Carnage Kabuto.

There's several heroes and civilians who would be easily categorized as "monsters" if they weren't on the side of humanity. The thing is, they just kind of roll with it. Meanwhile, Sweet Mask makes it a big deal, obsesses over it, and therefore thinks he's at the edge of a cliff all the time. Saitama's advice not to worry makes a lot of sense in that light.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As far as I can remember, based on what we've seen, being a monster doesn't make you evil. People who become them just typically decide that they need to be bad now because they were already bad and just weren't acting upon it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heck, Zombieman is a man-made monster.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the story has been pretty consistent about how being a monster is—usually—more about a stereotype and a state of mind.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

Man, I guess. It's just that

is a real rear end admission of weakness, and a sign of tremendous respect from ole' Sweet Mask, and Saitama's response to, 'I'm horrified at the thought I'll betray humanity the moment things go bad,' is, 'Just be yourself man.'

Also Sweet Mask showed up with some pretty good bribes.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ten bucks says Sweet Mask becomes the next big bad like Garou

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Parrotine posted:

Ten bucks says Sweet Mask becomes the next big bad like Garou

Look, he's a noisy neighbour and dine-and-dashed, but that doesn't make someone a "big bad".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll bite my tongue probably but I don't think that will happen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elentor posted:

I'll bite my tongue probably but I don't think that will happen.

This is the ONE thread, you don't know anything we don't.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean that I don't think it will happen but then it will and I'll have bitten my tongue.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I bite my cheek with worrying frequency

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I will bite bananas that were on sale and say that yeah, Sweet Mask will play a big role as we get into the competing Hero Association that got Blast.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New chapter up: https://mangadex.org/chapter/798649/1

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That’s a hell of a final panel

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This webcomic is so goddamn good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Perhaps the real sweet mask was inside him all along :unsmith:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ITs been so long since steady chapter releases
im just so excited for NEW THING

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Onepunch-man....

is good!!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's such a paradox to be beloved and famous and yet no one listens to a word you say. I hope it turns out that he's not a monster, it's just a ton of stress he's under.

Why he was able to just reattach his arm will be another story though.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's such a paradox to be beloved and famous and yet no one listens to a word you say. I hope it turns out that he's not a monster, it's just a ton of stress he's under.

Garou was monsterized and was able to be turned back, so it's not like it would seal his death.

My guess is that he originally changed his looks due to self hatred, and now his increasing alienation is causing another change. The first was arguably controllable, and my guess is that the second can be either stopped or reversed if he manages to get rid of his negative feelings.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Saitama definitely teaching this guy to get over himself and just be a hero

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gotta admit I wasn’t expecting One to ever give Sweet Mask character development, of all people. Instantly went from not caring about the character to becoming one of my favourites.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

These were some really good chapters.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RareAcumen posted:

If he was a monster in the psychologically far-gone sense, he would not be showing his true face now.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I really really enjoyed that chapter.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I hope Sweet Mask accepts his ugliness and becomes a gross lookin hero. :3

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sweet Mask is the best.

I wanna slap all the murata version readers for doubting him.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

MorningMoon posted:

Sweet Mask is the best.

I wanna slap all the murata version readers for doubting him.

I mean, prior to like 2 chapters ago, was there any reason to think he was anything but a huge, possibly evil, rear end in a top hat?

Genuine question. I haven’t re-read the webcomic in forever.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nanigans posted:

I mean, prior to like 2 chapters ago, was there any reason to think he was anything but a huge, possibly evil, rear end in a top hat?

Genuine question. I haven’t re-read the webcomic in forever.

Well it was clear that his devotion to justice was all about protecting the people first and eliminating all who threaten them, he was always definitely a hero. The way he looked down on the lazy s-classers showed that he took it pretty seriously.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
I really really like where this could go. I also enjoyed the inside look at Sweet Mask’s thought process the entire time; Him coming off as a complete rear end in a top hat previously starts to make sense when you realize how methodical and efficient he needs to be with fights. If he takes too long or gets sloppy he could risk having to show his true power and become unmasked, which he can’t do since his entire self-worth seems to be in doing hero work. Just really good writing and character development for what was effectively a background character until a few chapters ago.

Going to be funny when he beats the clown, saitama shows up and confuses him for a monster, and then the next half a chapter is them both arguing about whether he is or isn’t Sweet Mask.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Considering Saitama, there's no way he would mistake Sweet Mask for anything except him being in a costume.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Sweet Mask being the reverse Garou is pretty neat. A monster trying his best to remain human as opposed to a human doing his best to pretend to be a monster.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Saitama definitely teaching this guy to get over himself and just be a hero

Yeah

This is the good poo poo right here

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Getting Over It with Caped Baldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
That dril post but monsters and heroes are the exact same thing.