Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
It's always fun to go down the list of denied/approved security clearances and see what the reasons were - most of the time it's being in hideous amounts of debt, and either being unwilling to get paid up, or trying to hide it

E: Page snipe, cool plane

E2:

quote:

Moreover, Applicant testified that, after his second alcohol-related incident, he abstained from drinking and driving for approximately sixy ears because the “ramifications” of that incident were “very fresh in [his] mind.” However, as time passed, he stated that he “felt more comfortable having a couple of drinks and driving.” Favorable decision reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

I only had to give all *my* PII to China in return.

gently caress you, OPM.

One of us. One of us.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

E: Page snipe, cool plane

From Finland's HX program:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why is an 80 year old man applying for a security clearance

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

zoux posted:

CCCP sleeper agent who got caught up in life's hustle and bustle :shobon:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Man I feel bad for this one:

quote:

Applicant has worked in Iraq for many years in support of U.S. objectives. In the mid-2000s, her family was threatened with death unless Applicant and her siblings quit their jobs. Two of Applicant’s siblings engaged in numerous actions harmful to U.S. interests, whether in response to this letter or not. Applicant’s relationship with them, even if broken off after receipt of the SOR, suggests that she could come to the attention of persons hostile to the U.S., as she already did in the recent past. Most significantly, she has an immediate family relationship with two persons who have engaged in actions hostile to U.S. interests. As noted above, the Judge failed to evaluate Applicant’s case in light of Disqualifying Condition 7(d). Favorable decision reversed. CASE NO: 17-01981.a1

Your family was blackmailed, so you're hosed too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I feel bad for them, but it's still a solid reason not to give them a security clearance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

I feel bad for them, but it's still a solid reason not to give them a security clearance.

Same.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

zoux posted:

99% chance it's a periodic reinvestigation of a clearance already held for decades.

NightGyr posted:

Man I feel bad for this one:

Your family was blackmailed, so you're hosed too.

It sucks, but honestly if you or your family is in a position to be endangered by your clearance it's probably for your benefit too to have it pulled.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A lot of that list is mundane but there's a few that stick out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh, how was that guy not in jail

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

You can admit to crimes on clearance forms/interviews without facing charges. There's not enough context there to really know, but it's possible he was afraid someone would out him in an interview and volunteered the info to avoid evidence of being untruthful or hiding a blackmail liability? It's also possible they have the info some other way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

zoux posted:

He was a cop? :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

You can admit to crimes on clearance forms/interviews without facing charges. There's not enough context there to really know, but it's possible he was afraid someone would out him in an interview and volunteered the info to avoid evidence of being untruthful or hiding a blackmail liability? It's also possible they have the info some other way.

No I get that, I just mean, sure seemed like he was jacking off publicly a lot for many years, without getting in trouble. Also you say "can" there, so can someone get charged based on stuff uncovered in a background check?

That Works posted:

Ah. Say no more.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Captain von Trapp posted:

The big public leaks with ideological motivations (Snowden, Manning) get all the press. But when you actually count up spies and their motivations though, it's overwhelmingly money, followed by ego.

Saying Manning's leaks were ideologically motivated is... ehhh, not technically wrong but I feel it really needs an asterisk next to it.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

C.M. Kruger posted:

See also: Benedict Arnold. One of the most competent American commanders in the Revolution but he turned traitor because he kept getting passed over for commands/promotions that should have gone to him but went to other, less competent commanders due to politics and egos.

loving Horatio Gates has a lot of poo poo during/after the Revolution to answer for.

Arnold's story is particularly sad for me; Washington always loved the guy, and not long before the whole thing went down he wrote him a letter pleading that he needed his friend and best tactical commander (and best admiral, too, if it came to it) back in the saddle and would Arnold please come join the field army again, and don't worry about Congress loving things up again. He was probably too far gone at that point, but it's really a shame they didn't get the band back together.

Stravag posted:

It may be typical woman blaming too but from what i remember in school his wife was really pushing him towards it too because she wanted to go back to England

I read the same thing growing up, yeah. Or, related, the story that Peggy really enjoyed the finer things in life and Arnold needed more money to keep her interested. Almost certainly at least partly woman-blaming, as you say, but we'll probably never know for certain how it all happened. She was definitely the contact with John Andre, and came from a family with Tory leanings.

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 6, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It may be typical woman blaming too but from what i remember in school his wife was really pushing him towards it too because she wanted to go back to England

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

You can admit to crimes on clearance forms/interviews without facing charges.

They can 100% report you to the cops if you admit crimes that are serious enough. Murder, molesting kids, armed robbery, etc - you're gonna have a bad time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain von Trapp posted:

They can 100% report you to the cops if you admit crimes that are serious enough. Murder, molesting kids, armed robbery, etc - you're gonna have a bad time.

I get the feeling that jerking off in public is a bit like driving drunk when it comes to legal penalties - it only matters if you get caught or there's an actual victim.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

That Works posted:

Actually more likely to get you turned in, as this idiot found out when he applied to th e CIA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Police_Troop_C_scandal

quote:

The scandal became known when Trooper David L. Harding was interviewed for a job at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). He was asked if he was willing to break the law for his country. He answered "yes", then explained how he worked to convict people he felt sure were guilty by fabricating evidence. He assumed the CIA would be pleased with his answer, but instead they notified the United States Department of Justice. There was a 14-month delay between the discovery of the misconduct and any action taken.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Actually more likely to get you turned in, as this idiot found out when he applied to th e CIA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Police_Troop_C_scandal

Hahah

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/kroenig/status/1224851485521076224

Glad you're proud of yourself, Matt.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

How different would Rolling Thunder and Linebacker have been with Tomahawks/modern cruise missiles?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hurray? Werent low yield nukes already on subs in the form of torps? I assumed in the height of cold war stupidity that was a thing that happened

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

How different would Rolling Thunder and Linebacker have been with Tomahawks/modern cruise missiles?

No substitute for this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stravag posted:

Hurray? Werent low yield nukes already on subs in the form of torps? I assumed in the height of cold war stupidity that was a thing that happened

They existed, but the U.S. phased theirs out in the seventies.

I don’t know about Russia.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stravag posted:

A low yield nuclear weapon on a tomahawk or a torpedo is an entirely different beast than one that can be on target anywhere in the world in less than a half-hour, and waaaaay less if the boomer is close by.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Less expensive in (American) lives, but equally useless in that we were trying to use airpower do something it cannot accomplish on its own, which is convincing another nation to capitulate to our will. It didn't work the previous three times, and precision weapons didn't work to do it the next several conflicts we used them in.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm not a certified Vietnamologist so this is totally off the cuff speculation, but I suspect that cruise missiles wouldn't have made as much of a difference as some other potential technologies a time traveler could deliver. Tomahawks are great at taking out high value point targets like C2 nodes and SAM emplacements, but if you're going for wide scale infrastructure destruction, it's hard to beat

Now, they definitely could have helped if used intelligently to take out those air defenses and allow the B-52's to do their thing with less resistance, but we couldn't have just sat back lobbing TLAM all day and nothing else.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Would they get modern ISR? Global Hawks, Predators, Satellites? Targeting makes all the difference.

Targets also tend to learn, which is sort of a pain.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wouldn't a large number of drones with modern IR cameras completely change the nature of the Vietnam bombing war? Imagine having Gorgon Stare during all that.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
There's still a lot of jungle to hide in, and a whole population that isn't in the mood for our poo poo.

You'd get a higher body count, maybe lower American casualties, but you'd never win that war by killing Vietnamese.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NightGyr posted:

There's still a lot of jungle to hide in, and a whole population that isn't in the mood for our poo poo.

You'd get a higher body count, maybe lower American casualties, but you'd never win that war by killing Vietnamese.

I mean you could, but not without being a mass war-criming monster doing Assad style depopulation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

Wouldn't a large number of drones with modern IR cameras completely change the nature of the Vietnam bombing war? Imagine having Gorgon Stare during all that.

I suspect with that sort of support you'd potentially get to go from losing the Vietnam War to simply killing a shitload more enemy combatants, having less US/ARVN casualties, but not winning either. Maybe the US/ARVN forces operated from more or less secure outposts and crushed major attacks before they could materialize and doing significantly more effective jobs cutting up enemy supply lines, but still ultimately not just "beating" North Vietnam and the VC. For a long time. Until Americans grew weary of it or the South Vietnamese asked us to leave, maybe.

I dunno, counterfactuals hard, so what.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Warbadger posted:

I mean you could, but not without being a mass war-criming monster doing Assad style depopulation.

We sure did try though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stravag posted:

It's actually pretty far from "hurray" because every other Commander in Chief has regarded the use of tactical nuclear weapons in an asymmetric context as being an uncrossable line, whereas this one threatens it out-of-hand roughly every 3-6 months, and dropped a MOAB because bigly tremendous boom and it was a good headline.

On one hand, it decreases the amount of strategic warheads fielded, but it drastically increases the likelihood of the W76-2 being utilized over a flight of F-22s and F-35s being ordered to fly into airspace defended by S-300PMU2s or better. From a strategic planning perspective, it also forces deterrence patrols into a narrower box since it's way more likely the lower-yield warheads will be employed over the world-enders and that alters delivery profiles, but that's the last I'm going to say about that because :nsa:. It's a really dumb move - they should've left boomers alone. If you want a prompt nuclear strike option, pour more money into hypersonic cruise missiles, put them on the Block V Virginias (which are still a good number of years away) and/or heavy bombers and call it a day.

The biggest problem with low-yield nukes is that they're a Pandora's Box that's really hard to close once it's open.

"It's only 300 tons, that's a squadron of B-52s dropping JDAMs!"
"It's only two kilotons, that's like 8-10% of the Trinity test!"
"It's only ten kilotons, that's *half* the Trinity test. A big nothingburger!"
"Okay, it's fifty kilotons, but if the winds keep blowing in the direction we think it will, there'll be minimal civilian casualties."

Platystemon posted:

They existed, but the U.S. phased theirs out in the seventies.

I don't know about Russia.

Shkval's still a thing (when it doesn't explode), and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Russia still doesn't have a few nuclear depth bombs collecting dust in a bunker somewhere for their SS-N-15s.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The hurray was sarcastic because i couldn't see a good reason for it in today's conflicts. Any really but today's in particular

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am reading Command and Control now. It's good.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
How effective are thermals/ EOIR in a hot, humid high foliage jungle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry I don't know that.