Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's in the original.

Man the baby peanut is so obviously some marketing consultant dipshit's effort to astroturf a baby yoda and it extremely sucks.

Like in two seconds I have a better idea: baby elephant. Way cuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just watched the despecialized editions, It was in the original

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k5rmjyGMQk

Good catch. It’s definitely been changed to be Kuiil. It used to be a stormtrooper. Edit: maybe I’m wrong? I’m almost positive it was a stormtrooper at some point

Side note: As shown in the first scene in the Mandalorian, “e-chu-ta” just means “hey.” So while as kids we all thought the silver droid dropped some galactic f-bomb, Threepio was just getting offended that the droid said “hey” and breezed on by. Which is totally in character :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's in the original.

Man the baby peanut is so obviously some marketing consultant dipshit's effort to astroturf a baby yoda and it extremely sucks.

I think marketing consultants are so behind it was actually an attempt to capitalize on Baby Groot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mando s2 releases in October, per Iger on the most recent Disney earnings call. He also teased possible spinoffs so Can Gina Carano Carry Her Own Show? Is Watching Carl Weathers Give PCs Quests a Compelling Enough Premise? (it is)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Is Watching Carl Weathers Give PCs Quests a Compelling Enough Premise? (it is)

Honestly a half hour of him sitting in that booth doing Big Camp FMV video game briefing cutscenes with a stream of colorful characters portrayed in delightful cameos would keep me tuning in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would pay Carl Weathers on Cameo to do my Voicemail as Greef.

“Well met and salutations, traveler! Bust Rodd can’t be reached at the moment, but if-“

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

A sitcom featuring Bill Burr & his space-friends and their ill-fated attempts to go legitimate

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's in the original.

Then they'd get sued over infringing on images of Dumbo, probably.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bust Rodd posted:

I would pay Carl Weathers on Cameo to do my Voicemail as Greef.

“Well met and salutations, traveler! Bust Rodd can’t be reached at the moment, but if-“

They need to get him in the next Command and Conquer game, after all they already had other Star Wars guests James Earl Jones and Billie Dee Williams at this point lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I warn you this is no ordinary Ekkimara, Witcher! Don't forget to apply Superior Vampire Oil to your Silver Blade! And if you have the time, here's a recipe I cooked up for something I'm calling a Black Blood Decoction. It may give you just the edge you need.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*points at River of molten hot lava* Ah, this is the lava river

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Carl Weathers roaming the drought stricken dunes, picking up decaying carcases and berating the jawas for wasting the meat

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
People don’t understand that baby Yoda can only be as expressive as a stiff muppet face can emote. It’s cute because it doesn’t smile or frown or anything, all it can do is coo and move its ears and the rest is projection on the viewer's part. People drawing him expressively don’t get it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calaveron posted:

People don’t understand that baby Yoda can only be as expressive as a stiff muppet face can emote. It’s cute because it doesn’t smile or frown or anything, all it can do is coo and move its ears and the rest is projection on the viewer's part. People drawing him expressively don’t get it

and its almost explicitly not cute. like the sparse hair on the head could easily have read like a naked mole rat sorta thing, the wrinkling, all the yodas have big ears and they were never "cute"

But they made the eyes these giant black circles and all of the rest becomes something else and it all works together. He doesn't have a body form either really, he's always cloaked. It's just a bundle of cute face and tiny hands messing with your ship. Really genius design work.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I imagine him having a little fuzzy belly like a puppy. :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honestly a half hour of him sitting in that booth doing Big Camp FMV video game briefing cutscenes with a stream of colorful characters portrayed in delightful cameos would keep me tuning in.

That would make a sweet Disney+ series of shorts

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Have him portray famous NPCs throughout video game history but as Greef Karga.

“You should know, traveler, that they call me the POKÉMON PROF! Now tell me, friend, are you a boy? Or are you a girl?”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stay awhile! And listen!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

"You can't reduce transportation funding! It's against the guild code!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It is impossibly DANGEROUS to go alone, my Hylean Hero! Take this as your companion --a SWORD-- useful in the Hyrulean Wilderness, where you will encounter many fangorious monsters that will challenge your martial capabilities!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pray tell, my most valued interlocutor, what you see, -when- you see, Marcellus Wallace?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just want Werner Herzog to voice all the things.

Like the automated voice that tells you the options when you call the bank or a recording of him making a beeping noise for the ATM.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Show was great, but I don't really get how the timeline works (quite possibly it just doesn't and I shouldn't think about it too much). I mean, no one remembers the Jedi, who were all over the place about 40-50 years ago? Kuiil was a slave of the Empire for "3 human lifetimes", but the empire was only around for ~30 years and if he's that old he must have grown up in the old republic with Jedi aplenty and even Bounty guild leader man seems old enough to have lived through the rise and fall of the empire. It's not common knowledge that Vader and the Emperor used the force? Luke Skywalker the Jedi who was critical to the Rebellion isn't super famous? And is this bunch of Imperial remnants in the outer rim different from the First order of the new movies who should also be hanging out in the outer rim at the moment? This would all work so much better if only the original three movies existed, but there's more of them.

Besides that stuff, I thought the last episode was fairly weak with the very drawn out standoff (Just rush in! Failing that, blast em with the TIE fight cannons!), then deciding to burn the place with baby Yoda who they need inside it (good job he force-shielded!) and the strange way the empire was able to completely destroy the Mandalorians so easily that the town and bounty hunters didn't hear any combat, yet they were kind enough to leave the forge untouched.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Show was great, but I don't really get how the timeline works (quite possibly it just doesn't and I shouldn't think about it too much). I mean, no one remembers the Jedi, who were all over the place about 40-50 years ago? Kuiil was a slave of the Empire for "3 human lifetimes", but the empire was only around for ~30 years and if he's that old he must have grown up in the old republic with Jedi aplenty and even Bounty guild leader man seems old enough to have lived through the rise and fall of the empire. It's not common knowledge that Vader and the Emperor used the force? Luke Skywalker the Jedi who was critical to the Rebellion isn't super famous? And is this bunch of Imperial remnants in the outer rim different from the First order of the new movies who should also be hanging out in the outer rim at the moment? This would all work so much better if only the original three movies existed, but there's more of them.

Besides that stuff, I thought the last episode was fairly weak with the very drawn out standoff (Just rush in! Failing that, blast em with the TIE fight cannons!), then deciding to burn the place with baby Yoda who they need inside it (good job he force-shielded!) and the strange way the empire was able to completely destroy the Mandalorians so easily that the town and bounty hunters didn't hear any combat, yet they were kind enough to leave the forge untouched.

The Empire and The Republic are the same thing. The only difference is that Palpatine dissolved the Senate but I doubt the average prisoner working the Kessel mines or whatever gives a poo poo about those labels.

Jedi weren't really as commonplace as you're making it out to be. They're commonplace in the films because they factor into the major events and Luke/Anakin were main characters but for the average nobody on a random planet they might have never actually encountered one. They're certainly well known as a religion, and enough people have seen what they can do that their powers are kind of a legend, but not established, accepted fact. Same with Luke Skywalker, he was famous within the inner circle of the Rebellion, but on some backwater planet where it probably took a few years to even notice that the Empire had fallen? Nah, they probably don't know or give a poo poo about Luke Skywalker.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think the covert was killed during the big battle when they came out of hiding and gave the jetpack salute. The armorer just collected their gear afterwards and brought it back into the sewers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

The Empire and The Republic are the same thing. The only difference is that Palpatine dissolved the Senate but I doubt the average prisoner working the Kessel mines or whatever gives a poo poo about those labels.

Jedi weren't really as commonplace as you're making it out to be. They're commonplace in the films because they factor into the major events and Luke/Anakin were main characters but for the average nobody on a random planet they might have never actually encountered one. They're certainly well known as a religion, and enough people have seen what they can do that their powers are kind of a legend, but not established, accepted fact. Same with Luke Skywalker, he was famous within the inner circle of the Rebellion, but on some backwater planet where it probably took a few years to even notice that the Empire had fallen? Nah, they probably don't know or give a poo poo about Luke Skywalker.

It's easy to forget just how big a galaxy is. There's over 3.2 million inhabited systems in the galaxy, to say nothing of the planets and moons in each system. I don't know how canonical it is any more, but Jedi were never stronger than 10,000 members at once. Most of the galaxy would never see a Jedi in their lives and would only know what they heard about from the HoloNet, if they heard anything at all. Din Djarin was saved not by the Jedi in the war, but by Mandalorians. When the Empire took power, their propaganda immediately began suppressing knowledge of the Jedi beyond them being traitors to the Republic who had to be wiped out.

JJ Abrams sucks, but how we saw Luke in TFA makes sense. The full details of the Battle of Yavin and Battle of Endor probably didn't get out to the public, and there's stuff in the new EU canon about Leia dealing with the fallout of having Vader publicly revealed to be her father years later. Nobody actually saw Luke and Vader having a lightsaber duel on the Death Star or the Emperor getting thrown into the reactor, just like they never saw Luke turn off his targeting computer at Yavin to use the Force, or start swinging a lightsaber around on Cloud City or Hoth. It's completely reasonable to assume that once he exiles himself, the backwater parts of the galaxy start to just view him as a myth decades later, the same as you would view King Arthur.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Darkrenown posted:

The Jedi thing is long established, it was already weird in A New Hope, as multiple Imperials and Han himself treated them as some weird thing, even though it was only 20 years before.

Kuiil was a slave for that long yes, he was then sold to his last master the Empire, after which he finally bought his freedom.

Even Rey thought Luke was a myth. This a galaxy where fantastical things happens, with weird aliens with unique and strange biology. There's an alien race that computes hyperspace jumps with their brain. So weird stuff being out there with a group of people is something you could brush off and not pay much attention to unless you see if yourself. "Which weird cult are you talking about again? The one who could supposedly float stuff with their mind, the one who worshiped the giant monster that could survive in space, or the ones who believed they would be reincarnated as droids?"

The Imperial remnant are separate from the First Order. Basically now that the ST is done, we know this happened: Palpatine gave the secret club invite to his most loyal and dedicated followers after Jakku. This involved two groups, the military and the Force cult people. The military went into hiding in the Unknown regions and became the First Order. The cultists went to him at Exegol to join the Sith Eternal, the pre-existing Sith cultists. The Imperials who didn't get the invite stayed in the galaxy at large and became the remnant warlords. Once the FO revealed themselves and reemerged, they absorbed back in a lot of the Imperials who were still loyal to the cause even all that time. Essentially those Imperials proved themselves as worthy by still being dedicated so they were brought in. Finally once Palpatine was ready, he had the FO join with the Sith Eternal to create the Final Order.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Don't put more thought into reconciling the continuity than Lucas did.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In retrospect I would have rather had an Heir to the Empire adaptation, but I guess they would have had to do it 10-15 years ago or resort to digitally smoothing luke.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Bigger, Smoother Luke was way beyond the technology of 2005

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

In retrospect I would have rather had an Heir to the Empire adaptation, but I guess they would have had to do it 10-15 years ago or resort to digitally smoothing luke.

I've thought about it for literally one minute so I haven't worked it all out but Thrawn takes longer to come back, C'boath is replaced with a Palpatine clone who has already corrupted Jacen, scratch out every time Wedge appears and replace him with Jaina, and Luke fights Jacen instead of Luuke. Mara Jade kills the other Emperor or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sash! posted:

I've thought about it for literally one minute so I haven't worked it all out but Thrawn takes longer to come back, C'boath is replaced with a Palpatine clone who has already corrupted Jacen, scratch out every time Wedge appears and replace him with Jaina, and Luke fights Jacen instead of Luuke. Mara Jade kills the other Emperor or something.

Instead of a Palpatine clone, how about an Obi-Wan clone (played by McGregor in old age makeup) so Luke has to confront an insane version of his mentor?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Instead of a Palpatine clone, how about an Obi-Wan clone (played by McGregor in old age makeup) so Luke has to confront an insane version of his mentor?

That's who C'boath was supposed to be way back when the novel was first pitched in like 1990

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm super okay with never seeing Mara Jade on a screen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Madurai posted:

I'm super okay with never seeing Mara Jade on a screen.

I have found one of the quickest ways to stir up nerds is to refer to some tertiary source like the Illustrated Guide or something and tell them that it says the new canon made her Rey's grandmother.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have found one of the quickest ways to stir up nerds is to refer to some tertiary source like the Illustrated Guide or something and tell them that it says the new canon made her Rey's grandmother.

Speaking of stirred up, I try very hard not to get my jimmies rustled by shithead Star Wars fans, but I’m mad irritated at this thing going around where some fucker put up a video claiming Anakin says “Padme help me” when he’s getting put into the Vader suit (he doesn’t) and now all the teenage chuddy morons are claiming they hear it and screeching about how deep and brilliant Lucas and the prequels are.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't want to blanket say that Heir to the Empire trilogy was better than the ST, mainly because I haven't read it since I was a child and I don't trust child me's taste. But I think it's kind of hard to argue that the overall plot of it wasn't better than the incoherent mess the ST was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Talon Karrde. Enough said.