Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Onto some projects! I'm headed to KOH next week and this fucker needs to be ready to go. the rear u-joint at the axle has significant vibes, I'm finally gonna get off my rear end and cut/reweld the axle so the pinion angle is right. It's entirely my fault from not thinking of the pinion angle going from a regular driveline with a slipyoke to the double cardan shaft. Couple days of work and a fresh u-joint is a small price to pay to learn. The truck's starting system for sure won't play nice in the high-desert. I'd like to not resort to pulling it across the drylake to get it started.

lol. Ujoint is fine. Guess who's loose again?

Not even nordlocks can save this lovely old rearend.

as soon as I find a 14 bolt with disc brake and 4.10 gears for less than $texas$, it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Shaft is fine, rear end is cursed

All jokes aside, Jesus, you've basically rebuilt that truck from the ground up. It looks great.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Shaft is fine, rear end is cursed

Seriously.

Deja' moo:

Great. Heatercore took a poo poo.

Good thing it's easy to work on cause I'll be working on it forever

Nah I kid.

Truck stays, now it can stay parked/be a project most of the time instead of being relied upon.

KOH trip just fell the gently caress apart. in the last week it went from 7 people goin to just 2. Buddy just backed out leaving it to just me. With the current equipment frustrations it's best I don't go ride alone.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 5, 2020

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Congrats on the Volt, what year is it? I haven’t ever driven one but they’re interesting and seem ripe to tinker with.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Congrats on the Volt, what year is it? I haven’t ever driven one but they’re interesting and seem ripe to tinker with.

17', premier with all the addons. 19k-mi. just came off lease. I have no plans to tinker till it dies. That's what the truck and ktm are for.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

cursedshitbox posted:

Great. Heatercore took a poo poo.

I need to do this job on mine too... it doesn’t leak as long as I don’t use the heat so it’s well and truly back-burnered. oh, I’m going to visit the guy I sold your Gillig to tomorrow; I’ll shoot some pictures of it’s new interior for you

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

cursedshitbox posted:

17', premier with all the addons. 19k-mi. just came off lease. I have no plans to tinker till it dies. That's what the truck and ktm are for.

We have a 2010 Volt at work and I had the misfortune of having to take it to Buffalo from Albany. It had the least comfortable seats I've ever ridden in.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What sorcery is this? They designed it so you don't have to take the whole dash out to change the heater core? Incredible.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I bet you could gently caress with that Volt just a little bit.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

snugglz posted:

I need to do this job on mine too... it doesn’t leak as long as I don’t use the heat so it’s well and truly back-burnered. oh, I’m going to visit the guy I sold your Gillig to tomorrow; I’ll shoot some pictures of it’s new interior for you

FYI the $28 spectra one lasts about 4 years :v: I'm halfass thinking of using the tig on the old one to make scrap do some skill buildin'. Do share pics of the bus!

beep-beep car is go posted:

We have a 2010 Volt at work and I had the misfortune of having to take it to Buffalo from Albany. It had the least comfortable seats I've ever ridden in.

let's go for a 15 hour drive in the truck sometime. The French pear would be a pleasant experience in contrast. The ones in this car seem fine so far but i've yet to get any real seat time in.

Charles posted:

What sorcery is this? They designed it so you don't have to take the whole dash out to change the heater core? Incredible.

It's the only positive attribute about that loving interior. iirc all the bullnose/brick/obs trucks are just like this and even into the early SDs.
GMT400s were just as easy too with the 87-94 dashes. I can't speak about the later ones.

Volvo 240s, Range Rover classics, 80s towncars, VW's B5 platform, and bean body f150s are probably the worst ones I've had the misfortune of doing.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

in time.. you know the drill... To he and I it's a driving appliance today. Tomorrow its a generator and a battery for solar.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Charles posted:

My 85 5.0 was the same way, the no ac cars made the heater core the easiest one on the planet

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hell yeah. Gen 2 volts are miles better than gen 1. Pretty quick for what it is and less tank like vs. the older ones.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've only driven a first gen Volt but the overwhelming feeling was that it was a drat shame it wasn't RWD/AWD and was too heavy for FWD car. They're practical and good on gas, at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It's still FWD but it's better in every way. Power, weight, and feels like a normal car. There's no weird rear end shifter and the center stack has a normal amount of buttons, too.

:shepface:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

It's still FWD but it's better in every way. Power, weight, and feels like a normal car. There's no weird rear end shifter and the center stack has a normal amount of buttons, too.

Better tons of buttons than hiding everything behind a menu system that you can only navigate through a weird trackpad on the center console like my mother-in-law's Lexus LS.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

One does not gently caress with the daily if one does not want the daily to gently caress them.

Suburban Dad posted:

This stupid center stack caused me to write off the Volt forever. Good to see the second gens got rid of that atrocity..

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I will totally buy a gen 2 once I can flip my car seats around and don't need as much rear seat space. Unless there's a better option when the time comes.

/derail

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Weee derail!

NitroSpazzz posted:

One does not gently caress with the daily if one does not want the daily to gently caress them.

This stupid center stack caused me to write off the Volt forever. Good to see the second gens got rid of that atrocity..

Exactly. There'll be no end of poo poo to fix on the truck to keep crapping this thread up. + there's bikes to play with too.

That center stack is something special... The shifter irks me. those gen1s are cheap enough to use as tinkerers. I've heard of people picking up early ones for $2500. I kinda want to graft the guts of a gen1 into a baja bug or some other offroad toy.
The physical buttons, solid gear drive transmission, dedicated generator and modern crash structure were selling points to me. Gen2s hold a little more battery capacity, direct injection which allows for regular gas, and fare a little better in crash tests than the gen1. Gen2s give you a regen paddle which is nearly motorbike levels of 'engine braking' which makes it slightly more engaging to drive.

Also don't forget about the caddy ELR which is a sibling of the gen1s. They go for +/- gen2 prices however. The tech in the gen2 is more advanced(LKAS/FAB) and you get fold down seats for cargo/camping duties. (seriously, go camp in a state park and charge it on 110/220 :D)

E: I've been researching this fleet addition for 6 or so months now, I can go crap up the ev thread with some details if you guys would like.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Please do. I always found the Volt interesting from a powertrain perspective.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Later on i'll fab up a nice bracket to get this off the fender liner.

Thanks DST, let's get to it.

Unbolt the work from a couple months ago, arrange it in a big pile like so.

Mock up a plate using CAD

Scribble on some sheet stock

Use a sheet metal brake to bend up the bracket

Blow copious holes in some thin metal:

Paint the side nobody will see.

Flip it. Paint it some more.

Mount everything while making sure to scratch the fresh paint as much as absolutely possible. Don't forget to break the rivnut tool's anvil. Be sure to not have a backup on hand because that totally never happens.

Fuckyea, done. Have a celebratory beer. Plenty of room to grow, and if the front tire eats the fender liner, it won't take the wiring with it.

And now onto the winch's wiring.
This winch has definitely been given a hot supper a time or two in its life based on how melty this insulation is.
What horrors lie within?

Copious amounts of farm patina on the solenoids

Pull the motor then immediately drop the gear into the abyss.

Inspect said motor:

It's in seriously good shape given the state of the electrical. Hats off to Warn.

Knock the top cover off cause the motor's drive gear fell into the upside-down. fish it back out and drop it in the housing for later use.

Something smells fishy, let's stick a wrench in it to see how gross this gear oil is.

Well that's not so bad. Though it's low on oil.

Break the solenoid pack down for new cables. Be sure to strip and gall as many threads as possible. While it's in 200 pieces, paint the backing plate. While that dries, wire-wheel the crusties on the bus bars and make new cables.

Orient the drive gear the correct way, Bolt the cleaned up motor to the housing, fill the gearbox up with the finest 86W-127 sorta-synthetic shitbox gear oil. Schmoo some ultra gray onto the housing, and play gymnast while trying to hold the housing in place, threading a screw while holding the nut.

Bolt the cleaned up and ready to go solenoid pack on, connect everything and give it a go.

Future project to go back with some red model paint and take care of the warn logo on the cover.

Man, that fairlead and cable sure look like poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Thanks for doing a project that makes me feel better about my skills. Specifically the brake, welds, and scratched paint.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well that's harsh :classiclol:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lollllll
Hey can't make it too nice for it is a farmtruck after all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Use a sheet metal brake to bend up the bracket

:lol: got a chuckle out of me there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That winch motor looks fuckin mint inside.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

cursedshitbox posted:

holding the nut.

Me, every time I read this thread. :dong:

Nice work!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

angryrobots posted:

Well that's harsh :classiclol:

poo poo! Wasn't meant to be! Most updates are pretty solid work and done right. This was the first in a while with blemishes. And boy I think we all know the feeling of putting a part on top fast and scratching it to hell.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have offended goonkind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have, lmao.

In seriousness, like everything else nothing on this old project is forever and i'm all about that iterative improvement process. I didn't have M4 rivnuts on hand, much less the right M4 hardware, so I'll definitely be revisiting this.

I hosed up in two areas. 1. I used the cement to pound the fucker flat making it look like the raisin that it is. Shoulda used plate. 2. I got ahead of myself and painted it before mocking up all the greebles. Though going in I didn't really know where to place everything. 3. I spaced by painting it as I wanted to add bracketry for reinforcement and tiedowns for putting stuff on the open section right in front of the blower.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That winch motor looks fuckin mint inside.

That had to have been replaced at some point. It doesn't match anything else that has been removed from service on this old turd.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The running commentary makes me laugh, and reminds me of my own work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

The running commentary makes me laugh, and reminds me of my own work.

I wanted to try something different and I'll stick with it.

So with all the recent insanity goin' on and being stuck at home with not enough problems to solve I've gone out and bought a project.

big old honkin' truck camper.
Aluminum frame
Insulated as all hell
babbies first genny
dry bath + shower
1/2 roll of TP, 1/4 roll of paper towels

new pro installed roof in 2015. Full manuals, blueprints, service documentation, etc.
It was allowed to get really wet with the old roof, there's a couple areas that need some refinishing, being aluminum, nothing is soft or structurally unsound.
Gonna fix it up during the shelter in place rules, update it, and go see what's around

Truck of course gives no fucks that it's back there.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

cursedshitbox posted:

1/2 roll of TP, 1/4 roll of paper towels
It's practically paying for itself!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I stayed in one like that a couple years ago on a fishing trip that had some popouts and it was pretty cozy with 3 adults. A+ purchase CSB.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Nice!

Get some interior photos please.

What stuff needs refinishing? Just trim stuff or is there some structural bits that are damaged?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
That truck don’t squat for poo poo. My 2018 ram 3500 srw would double as batman’s signal with one of those.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hell yeah.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a massive camper, wow. How much grossness is inside? Every truck-top camper I've ever seen has been basically a crime scene.

rdb posted:

That truck don’t squat for poo poo. My 2018 ram 3500 srw would double as batman’s signal with one of those.

Current-generation Rams appear to be optimized primarily for going to the mall.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

That's a massive camper, wow. How much grossness is inside? Every truck-top camper I've ever seen has been basically a crime scene.

Current-generation Rams appear to be optimized primarily for going to the mall.

My brother has a 2016 3500 SRW and it is most definitely not optimized for going to the mall. They're ridiculously powerful and the most I've ever driven or ridden with in it was a 5000lb gooseneck with a 6000lb wood chipper and a 2500lb tractor on it. It felt like an empty trailer. It rides like poo poo with no load. He wishes he had gotten the airbags but the factory option was new that year and didn't include any way to drain the air tank to get rid of moisture (amazing), so he didn't.

That camper is cool as poo poo. Curious if you had any issues with getting it secured down on the flatbed?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

rifles posted:

My brother has a 2016 3500 SRW and it is most definitely not optimized for going to the mall. They're ridiculously powerful and the most I've ever driven or ridden with in it was a 5000lb gooseneck with a 6000lb wood chipper and a 2500lb tractor on it. It felt like an empty trailer. It rides like poo poo with no load. He wishes he had gotten the airbags but the factory option was new that year and didn't include any way to drain the air tank to get rid of moisture (amazing), so he didn't.

That camper is cool as poo poo. Curious if you had any issues with getting it secured down on the flatbed?

I think people confuse the 1500 with the HDs. There's a world of difference between a light duty and a heavy duty pickup. 1500s are usually on soft tires and suspension and are basically mall and home improvement store crawlers. 2500s and 3500s are not. My 2500HD rides like crap empty, and feels happy with 2000# in the bed. 10k# trailer? Happy towing that all day any day.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My 2018 3500 has 3 leafs and an overload. I bet the spring pack on donkey looks like it came out of a semi.

And don’t confuse squat with towing capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

rdb posted:

My 2018 3500 has 3 leafs and an overload. I bet the spring pack on donkey looks like it came out of a semi.

And don’t confuse squat with towing capacity.

Not to try to derail, does yours have an "active" bumpstop? As in it's more than a chunk of rubber and is supposed to work with the overload at near max payload? Donkey probably has double the springs, and they're probably shorter and thicker - no compromise for anything but max capacity.

I have a great uncle that still logs (nearing 80) and he basically collected bricknoses. He runs an 89 that he broke the frame in half on. His fix was to get another frame, layer them together, then bolt wherever possible in order to double it up. He uses it to haul a trailer plus the bed full of firewood from where he cuts to his house on a couple nasty trails. Pretty neat truck.. 300, manual, and hasn't been out of 4 lo in 20 years.