Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Arrow announcement is up and holy poo poo we're finally getting some Shinya Tsukamoto movies on blu-ray in the US. The Tsukamoto set is available for preorder at $62 this might be the first time I buy an Arrow release at full price I'm so excited.

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1223263935312416769

Hagazussa (UK)
Sixteen Candles (US/CA)
Elvira Mistress of the Dark (US/CA)
Why Don't You Just Die! (UK/US/CA)
The Wind (UK/US/CA)
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Tsukamoto (US/CA)
  • Tetsuo: The Iron Man
  • Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
  • The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo
  • Tokyo Fist
  • Bullet Ballet
  • A Snake of June
  • Vital
  • Haze
  • Kotoko
  • Killing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FancyMike posted:

Arrow announcement is up and holy poo poo we're finally getting some Shinya Tsukamoto movies on blu-ray in the US. The Tsukamoto set is available for preorder at $62 this might be the first time I buy an Arrow release at full price I'm so excited.

Hagazussa (UK)
Sixteen Candles (US/CA)
The Wind (UK/US/CA)
  • Tokyo Fist
  • Bullet Ballet
  • A Snake of June
  • Vital
  • Haze
  • Kotoko
  • Killing

:same: but Elvira :allears:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FancyMike posted:

• Tokyo Fist
  • Bullet Ballet
  • A Snake of June
  • Vital
  • Haze
  • Kotoko
  • Killing

Buying the gently caress out of this. Also Hagazussa owns

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

To anyone who's only seen the first Tetsuo: watch Tetsuo II it loving rules.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

FancyMike posted:

Hagazussa (UK)
Sixteen Candles (US/CA)
The Wind (UK/US/CA)
  • Tokyo Fist
  • Bullet Ballet
  • A Snake of June
  • Vital
  • Haze
  • Kotoko
  • Killing

Someone on the Facebook comments for this release was talking about an upcoming Vinegar Syndrome giallo boxset, does anyone know what that's about?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lumbermouth posted:

Someone on the Facebook comments for this release was talking about an upcoming Vinegar Syndrome giallo boxset, does anyone know what that's about?

It was listed in the Black Friday 2020 whole year preorder description:

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

May 2020:
5 releases totaling $224.90 (MSRP)
Including: a 4k UHD, a 3-Film Euro Horror/Giallo Box Set and three others
(includes two Halfway to Black Friday surprise titles)

It's never written in stone, as they've already had one release change in January (Dolly Dearest was replaced with Flesh Eating Mothers). Over the years there have also been some titles teased but never materialized. I know there were mentions of boxed sets as far back as 2016, and we didn't get any until 2019.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

FancyMike posted:

• Tokyo Fist
  • Bullet Ballet
  • A Snake of June
  • Vital
  • Haze
  • Kotoko
  • Killing

This rules, but the lack of The Bullet Man is puzzling. It's not as great as the first two but dammit, I want that movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the movie holds up relatively well.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 31, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Elvira is a must-buy due to my simple rule: buy every movie Edie McClurg is in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

Elvira is a must-buy due to my simple rule: buy every movie Edie McClurg is in.

:hmmyes:

mem
Sep 1, 2005
If you are a Fulci fan, the recent The House by the Cemetery remaster by Blue Underground looks superb. Pretty good extras, watched the special effects one and they go through all the gore scenes talking about how they did them and the guy even shows some of the devices they used.

If you are not, it's a pretty wtf nonsensical plot, although I found it interesting enough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you're getting that Tsukamoto box set do not sleep on Tokyo Fist or Bullet Ballet

They're probably his two best non-Tetsuo movies

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tokyo Fist is goddamn incredible.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

mem posted:

If you are a Fulci fan, the recent The House by the Cemetery remaster by Blue Underground looks superb. Pretty good extras, watched the special effects one and they go through all the gore scenes talking about how they did them and the guy even shows some of the devices they used.

If you are not, it's a pretty wtf nonsensical plot, although I found it interesting enough.

every Fulci movie is like that.

I just go along for the ride.

:allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I know I brought it up before and Egbert clarified it, but Disney subsidiaries have listened before mostly through Criterion and Kino, so there’s a chance.

Yes and no.

In the DVD days (pre-2009), they only ever licensed Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, Indiscretion of an American Woman, and Straw Dogs from Disney (all part of the ABC Films library). Armageddon, Chasing Amy, The Rock, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic were all distributed by Disney, but produced by Criterion. Since then, they've released Blu-rays of Rebecca, Notorious, Straw Dogs, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic, which are licensed from Disney (and Spellbound should be coming soon). That's why the DVD editions are sort of in limbo and also explains why you could find Armageddon at Walmart years ago.

Kino Lorber initially licensed the entire ABC Films library from Disney, minus the three Hitchcocks and Straw Dogs (obviously). The ABC Films library basically includes the Selznick International library*, ABC Films/ABC Circle Films, and some Cinerama Releasing Company co-productions. This same package, including the Hitchcocks and Straw Dogs, were licensed to MGM for a while and they were generally identical to the even earlier Anchor Bay DVDs (who also briefly released a bunch of Disney live-action like The Black Hole).

The initial Kino deal also included any Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures films that were never released on DVD by Disney themselves, but the success of their releases were expanded to include them. This is how they were finally able to release Blu-rays of films like Kundun and Cabin Boy. They only movies they won't get are mainline Disney-branded films like The Black Hole or Something Wicked This Way Comes (most likely because Disney Movie Club is culling from these).

According to what the Kino reps have posted online, they've released most of the titles licensed from Fox, MGM, Paramount (including Republic/Melange Pictures and CBS), and Disney. I think there's a trickle of remaining Disney licenses that are all from the ABC library coming out this year. They just got a ton of titles from StudioCanal last year (including a dozen or so former Criterions) that they're still putting out and they just made another Universal deal to release another 150-200 titles. So, most of their 2020 releases will be Universal plus some holdouts. They've wanted to expand to Sony and Warner, but apparently there's not much left from Sony that hasn't been licensed already (or doesn't have existing masters).

*Selznick sold the 1937 A Star is Born to Warner Bros. for the 1954 remake, Gone with the Wind sometime in the 40s for capitol, and the 1937 The Prisoner of Zenda to Warner for their 1950s remake

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 1, 2020

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Thanks Egbert!

I don’t think Kino will get Warner. Most of the stuff that would be perfect for Kino already get a release through Warner Archive. Unless Warner thinks they can get a better deal licensing rather than self releasing, I doubt they’ll do much with Kino.

For Disney, I hope they do more licensing in the future, maybe after Iger steps down. They own so much now, why not earn basically free money on movie trash?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Thanks Egbert!

I don’t think Kino will get Warner. Most of the stuff that would be perfect for Kino already get a release through Warner Archive. Unless Warner thinks they can get a better deal licensing rather than self releasing, I doubt they’ll do much with Kino.

For Disney, I hope they do more licensing in the future, maybe after Iger steps down. They own so much now, why not earn basically free money on movie trash?

I'd love for Kino to work with Warner on something like a complete (existing) Lon Chaney at MGM box or Garbo silents. While there's a lot of silents out on DVD-R, they're almost all older masters. Some even have canned music scores from the 1960s.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory just confirmed Danger: Diabolik for May 19. No details yet, but all the Paramount licenses so far have been new remasters. The long-OOP DVD was pretty packed (produced by Roman Coppola).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! Factory just confirmed Danger: Diabolik for May 19. No details yet, but all the Paramount licenses so far have been new remasters. The long-OOP DVD was pretty packed (produced by Roman Coppola).

Holy poo poo, this might be the biggest announcement of recent. That movie will really pop on blu-ray.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo, this might be the biggest announcement of recent. That movie will really pop on blu-ray.

They announced Idle Hands which is way bigger news!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It's not terribly surprising since Shout! licensed it for the last MST3K box (for now - they apparently are working with Olive Films and the estate that controls some 50s Corman films). I hope people check it out because while it was on the show, it's an awesome movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

They announced Idle Hands which is way bigger news!

That's kind of a fun movie but I've never been like "Oh man, I hope I can get an Idle Hands blu-ray!".

Egbert Souse posted:

It's not terribly surprising since Shout! licensed it for the last MST3K box (for now - they apparently are working with Olive Films and the estate that controls some 50s Corman films). I hope people check it out because while it was on the show, it's an awesome movie.

The video for Body Movin' should be a special feature on the blu-ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o

This is one of my favorite music videos ever.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

That's kind of a fun movie but I've never been like "Oh man, I hope I can get an Idle Hands blu-ray!".

The video for Body Movin' should be a special feature on the blu-ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRBUw_Ls2o

This is one of my favorite music videos ever.

The Paramount DVD had a commentary with John Phillip Law and Tim Lucas, a short making-of, the Body Movin' music video (with optional commentary by Adam Yauch), and two trailers. From looking online, it looks like at least one European release has the alternate English dub and original Italian. The US DVD has the proper American dub produced by Paramount (the MST3K print used the British dub added to the Italian print).

It'll be neat if we get the multiple audio tracks and even titles. From what I've read, Ennio Morricone's score as an isolated track can't happen because they masters were lost.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Given that Shout is releasing it, it will probably have the MST3k episode on it, since that's a common special feature for most of their movies that's share the library.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I dunno, I think about it once in a while. Now I'm chuckling about Mighty Joe Bong

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Joe's Apartment bluray

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno, I think about it once in a while. Now I'm chuckling about Mighty Joe Bong

It was an awesome flick for 10 year old me. It had everything you ever wanted in a movie at that age.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MacheteZombie posted:

Joe's Apartment bluray

Seconded

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boycott all blu-ray publishers until someone releases the new Freaked blu-ray.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Boycott all blu-ray publishers until someone releases the new Freaked blu-ray.

It’s a Disney movie now so send a letter to Iger.

At the Freaked screening I went to, the director recorded the entire audience demanding Disney restore it and release it on streaming.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

It’s a Disney movie now so send a letter to Iger.

At the Freaked screening I went to, the director recorded the entire audience demanding Disney restore it and release it on streaming.

gently caress streaming, I want that disc.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

gently caress streaming, I want that disc.
Guess you're just gonna have to come over to my house to watch it. :wink:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Guess you're just gonna have to come over to my house to watch it. :wink:

Where you at? :wink:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Where you at? :wink:

:emptyquote::forkbomb:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Whip out your blu-ray so we can get Freaked.

:sissies:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Shout’s first (real) 4K release

May 26th

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Liar Lyre posted:

Shout’s first (real) 4K release

May 26th

they're starting!!!!

:stoked:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Did the Bone Tomahawk disc suddenly go oop? I've been meaning to buy it and just looked and it's not longer available after being deep discounted last week.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Origami Dali posted:

Did the Bone Tomahawk disc suddenly go oop? I've been meaning to buy it and just looked and it's not longer available after being deep discounted last week.

Along the same lines, is the Shout Factory Mad Max blu about to go OOP? It's down to $6 on amazon, which is atypical for Shout stuff and they seem to be going on backorder every other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Along the same lines, is the Shout Factory Mad Max blu about to go OOP? It's down to $6 on amazon, which is atypical for Shout stuff and they seem to be going on backorder every other day.

Apparently, a lot of MGM-owned films are going out of print from Shout.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/page/list/id/282113