Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SelenicMartian posted:

I wonder how poo poo the Double Dragon 3 release is going to be.

Probably just as poo poo as the game always was.

It's a perfect example of a game both being way too hard, and you just having one life (at least to start). The game only exists as hard mode, and there's no good reason for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Double Dragon 3 is probably good with rewind.

I remember really enjoying renting it as a kid. I loved that you could recruit a couple bosses you beat, that functioned as an extra life. I also remember the characters being easier to control for some reason

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I always thought of NES Double Dragon 3 as being better than the arcade version..

The arcade version is a microtransaction hellscape that predicted the dark future we live in now:

It's not talking about some in-game coin, you literally insert a loving quarter to buy from the item shop

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was at a wedding reception in a hipster part of town and they had arcade machines there and one was Double Dragon so I thought I'd give it a try and it was hard as gently caress. Nothing like the NES game.

The Wizard lied to us.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched GameXplain's preview for Mega Man Zero Collection, and apparently you can remap controls however you want, but can't map anything to Zl or Zr. What the gently caress Capcom

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

I was at a wedding reception in a hipster part of town and they had arcade machines there and one was Double Dragon so I thought I'd give it a try and it was hard as gently caress. Nothing like the NES game.

The Wizard lied to us.

I don't know if :thejoke: but Jimmy was playing a Play Choice 10, which was effectively an NES in an arcade shell.

I always hated the actual arcade Double Dragon and Contra games. The NES versions were so much better, though DD1 should've had co-op.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

fit em all up in there posted:

Is anyone else excited for the mystery dungeon remake ?

extremely me. agreed that demo felt like 5 mins

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been a while since SNES was updated, yeah?

I know they aren't on a fixed schedule but something new sure would be nice.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A direct would also be nice. Every Wednesday that passes without one being announced I die a little inside.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

Been a while since SNES was updated, yeah?

I know they aren't on a fixed schedule but something new sure would be nice.

I think the last one was the Punch Out + BoF 2 set in... November/December? Guessing they'll put out another in their last month of the fiscal year to boost subs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

American McGay posted:

A direct would also be nice. Every Wednesday that passes without one being announced I die a little inside.

I guess a reputable leaker on a Resetera thread said there would be two this month, one being a regular Direct and the other being dedicated to Animal Crossing, so the next few weeks should be full of goodness. Of course, this is about as unreliable as a post can get.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aren't they usually announced on Tuesday

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're generally announced the day before or two days before, which means if it hasn't happened by Wednesday then it's probably not gonna happen that week.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bet on Monday Nintendo will be like "There was a Nintendo direct posted Saturday, we forgot to tweet it"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A Nintendo Redirect, made up entirely of trailers and presentations of delayed games, and blame-shifting tweets.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

A Nintendo Redirect, made up entirely of trailers and presentations of delayed games, and blame-shifting tweets.

A direct for FF7R, Cyberpunk 2077, Marvel's Avengers, Dying Light 2, The Last of Us Part 2, Watch Dogs: Legion and so on?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SelenicMartian posted:

And in the last five minutes Sakurai shows up drunk and announces, I dunno, Raphael Ambrosius Costeau for Smash.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Gripweed posted:

Animal Crossing has sneakers now. The final barrier has been removed. We can have an Animal Crossing/Splatoon crossover

https://twitter.com/Criisalys/status/1224808349620940802?s=20

So AC, but you can vandalize your neighbor's houses?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Inu posted:

So AC, but you can vandalize your neighbor's houses?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
International Waters, baby. Anything goes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Be honest with me, how many of you goons are gonna name your island "Outer Heaven" and make a FOXHOUND flag?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

deadly_pudding posted:

Be honest with me, how many of you goons are gonna name your island "Outer Heaven" and make a FOXHOUND flag?

There's probably gonna be a few Little St. James too

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm gonna name my island Sixty Nine because it's gonna be a nice island.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anyway, I'm gonna recommend another game I don't think has been mentioned in the thread yet, Gabbuchi

The goal is to get to the heart-shaped cookie at the end. All you can do is jump and switch colors. Your jump is always 2.5 blocks high, and you can change color on a whim with the shoulder buttons.

The trick is Gabbuchi will eat blocks the same color as him, so if he's white he can stand on red blocks just fine, but will gobble any white block he comes in contact with. Thus the game revolves around figuring out which blocks you need to not break to progress. And of course, there's additional incentives to gobble all possible blocks you can, and to do so with minimal color changes.

Here's a video of a level I finished in World 4 (of 15) for an idea of what levels are like past the initial batch.

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1225401679140360192

There are 180 levels total, and there's also a level editor, though bizarrely there's no way I can see to play other people's levels.

Also there is a demo available if you want to try it out. I got it on sale, but once again it seems the sale is already over by the time I wrote this up. Still, seems worth full-price to me if you like puzzle platformers.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

deadly_pudding posted:

Mine's going to end up being some variation of Bonezone, because I'll be sharing the island with my husband and I like to keep it classy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I finally checked out Dauntless. It's not bad???
It's kind of basic, though, very Numbers Going Up.

Still tryin to decide what my flight game should be. Fire Emblem is an okay candidate, but you can accomplish shockingly little in that game in like 5 hours if it's time to do School Stuff.
I thought about Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, but god drat I don't think I can go back to old-school monhun fussing with paint bombs and loading screens.

How's Astral Chain's visual fidelity in portable mode? Can you keep track of stuff on the little screen?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Recommend me a carrying case that will fit a switch with the nyko thin case on it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

deadly_pudding posted:

Still tryin to decide what my flight game should be. Fire Emblem is an okay candidate, but you can accomplish shockingly little in that game in like 5 hours if it's time to do School Stuff.
I thought about Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, but god drat I don't think I can go back to old-school monhun fussing with paint bombs and loading screens.

It doesn't help with the loading screens, but play as the cat. Prowlers don't need paintballs to track monsters and they don't need pickaxes or bug nets. In fact they barely it items at all. And their equipment is very cheap and easy to make.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Mine's always been Traverse Town, with the logo from KH1 on my flag. Someday when I have both a duck and a dog in my town I'll create a Sora villager.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Mine's different every time. I dunno what it's gonna be this time around. Koholint seems appropriate?

Or Kokomo lol

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

deadly_pudding posted:

How's Astral Chain's visual fidelity in portable mode? Can you keep track of stuff on the little screen?

I spent a couple hours yesterday playing Astral Chain in handheld mode and I was pretty impressed by how well it runs and how good it looks there.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Anyway, I'm gonna recommend another game I don't think has been mentioned in the thread yet, Gabbuchi

The goal is to get to the heart-shaped cookie at the end. All you can do is jump and switch colors. Your jump is always 2.5 blocks high, and you can change color on a whim with the shoulder buttons.

The trick is Gabbuchi will eat blocks the same color as him, so if he's white he can stand on red blocks just fine, but will gobble any white block he comes in contact with. Thus the game revolves around figuring out which blocks you need to not break to progress. And of course, there's additional incentives to gobble all possible blocks you can, and to do so with minimal color changes.

Here's a video of a level I finished in World 4 (of 15) for an idea of what levels are like past the initial batch.

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1225401679140360192

There are 180 levels total, and there's also a level editor, though bizarrely there's no way I can see to play other people's levels.

Also there is a demo available if you want to try it out. I got it on sale, but once again it seems the sale is already over by the time I wrote this up. Still, seems worth full-price to me if you like puzzle platformers.
This looks rad as hell and feels like Boxboy, thanks for posting about it

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

deadly_pudding posted:

I remember that enough people named their towns Hyrule and themselves Link in the first English entry that they were able to form a trading community and decipher the password system based on that common thread alone. Nerds really like to think together.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This looks rad as hell and feels like Boxboy, thanks for posting about it

It's Boxboy but instead of making boxes you eat boxes.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3b3z4/the-pursuit-of-cheap-video-games-has-been-getting-switch-owners-banned

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Silver Falcon posted:

It doesn't help with the loading screens, but play as the cat. Prowlers don't need paintballs to track monsters and they don't need pickaxes or bug nets. In fact they barely it items at all. And their equipment is very cheap and easy to make.

From my experience trying to play as a cat it's great for gathering but actually killing anything takes forever and isn't fun at all

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I fell off MHGU but I actually found the gathering to not be too bad.

It definitely helps that it's on Switch, I'd chill in my kitchen picking flowers while my dinner cooked. Actually kind of peaceful.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's pretty bad to be honest. The first few missions involve no actual hunting, which was pretty weird since it was my first Monster Hunter game.

I was surprised at how much better MH4U's campaign was when I played that.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

deadly_pudding posted:

I've played a bit too, I wish there was something to do other than go to island and kill big monster. Maybe some smaller monsters to also kill. Maybe special NPCs to find and rescue, idk. The system for getting better gear is super boring though - build the base armour set then upgrade in tiny increments.

It does have its moments though, you feel pretty kick rear end when you hammer shot a shrike in the face mid flight to drop it to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never played a Monster Hunter before... Is there any actual hunting involved, above and beyond 'go here, kill this, get a thing'? What I mean is, remember fighting The End in Metal Gear Solid 3, and how you had to be smart and methodical about the whole thing? Is there any of that in MH? Any planning, detailed tracking, or anything like that?