Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robindaybird posted:

some of those spectacular set pieces actually made me nauseous it's loving weird that this is the only movie I've seen that I got motion sick from.
Williams has this weird Escher-like composition sometimes and seeing it in motion can be disorienting. It's like too precise for something not animated in 3D CGI and it fucks with my head.

Some of the Baby Herman animated start of Roger Rabbit has that and it always gets my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't see anything other than Kitbull (the Pixar-produced, crowd-pleasing one that is nicely-animated and not undeserving) winning in this group, though I think Mémorable was the best. I've seen other attempts at telling this sort of story, and this one was easily the best, especially in its use of the medium to enhance the depiction of what's happening.

I would put Sister in second place; it's a very efficient short and I think I'd only wish it were slightly longer, to maybe give the audience a chance to experience more of the confusing mindset of the narrator. I was on the verge of tears but it ended before I could feel enough to tip it over.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Williams has this weird Escher-like composition sometimes and seeing it in motion can be disorienting. It's like too precise for something not animated in 3D CGI and it fucks with my head.

Some of the Baby Herman animated start of Roger Rabbit has that and it always gets my attention.

It also doesn’t help that he animated on 1s. It’s like watching The Hobbit at 48fps, your brain is expecting a subtle jitter that isn’t there and it messes with your eyes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This weekend we watched Wall-E with my son. He actually saw a piece of Wall-E earlier so he was eager to see the rest. I remember seeing it in the cinema myself and loving it.

Rewatching it, man, Wall-E is still a fantastic movie.
So much is conveyed with virtually no words, but just body language from barely human shaped robots.

While this did make the movie very hard for my son to follow, he did love the story, the setting and the humor. Even if he didn't understand the setting, but then it's a fun movie to talk about with him as he slowly pieces together why things are as they are and how they map back onto the current world.

I remember back when I first saw it, my suspension of disbelief broke when the live actors showed up. I didn't have this problem this time. Probably because I knew it was coming.

All in all, Wall-E to me is definitely a movie that's close to perfection.

We also watched the Burn-E short after, I'd never seen that, but I just love silly side stuff like that. Having someone have his own adventure that only occasionally intersects with the leads just amuses me to no end. :)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The best part about Burn-E is when you know which scenes match up with the movie, and then notice he pops up in the movie as well for those few frames.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

IUG posted:

The best part about Burn-E is when you know which scenes match up with the movie, and then notice he pops up in the movie as well for those few frames.

I was wondering about that. :) That's neat.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1224754478680657920

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone know of any movies that are aesthetically similar to Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind? Not in the "studio Ghibli anime" sense, but as in hand drawn 80's animation with bright toxic jungles, gloomy fungal wastelands, maybe oversized insects; with painted background vistas and rotoscoping effects that animation from that time used? I was in the mood for that sort of thing recently and searching google is just getting anime and other Ghibli movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Last Unicorn?

Not animated, but The Dark Crystal and it's prequel series might scratch that itch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does anyone know of any movies that are aesthetically similar to Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind? Not in the "studio Ghibli anime" sense, but as in hand drawn 80's animation with bright toxic jungles, gloomy fungal wastelands, maybe oversized insects; with painted background vistas and rotoscoping effects that animation from that time used? I was in the mood for that sort of thing recently and searching google is just getting anime and other Ghibli movies.

Wizards, Fire and Ice

Really other than Bakshi, who was just kind of coincidentally on the same wavelength, you're mostly gonna find anime because Nausicaa was pretty visually original and it took forever for a non-hosed version to come out in the west

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks. That's a shame that the field is so narrow. I've seen Wizards and appreciated it for the weird experimental piece that it is, but I shied away from Fire and Ice because it looked like it was going to be a cringy cheesecake piece. I'll give it a shot since you mentioned it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While only sort-of related, have you read the Nausicaa manga itself? There's quite a bit more in it than the movie, and it was done by Miyazaki himself. It's on amazon for 44 bucks for a really wonderful hardcover boxed set of the entire thing in two volumes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's finally a trailer for Minions: The Rise of Gru. Put it up in the OP but here it is here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN1HNkoL2QA

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's finally a trailer for Minions: The Rise of Gru. Put it up in the OP but here it is here too:

Can you remove it from both?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Is there still supposed to be a Mario Illumination movie happening?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Is there still supposed to be a Mario Illumination movie happening?

Last anyone's heard, it's still planned for a 2022 release.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

honestly kinda disappointed they're not jumping to a new belmont

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Looper posted:

honestly kinda disappointed they're not jumping to a new belmont

there's still some loose ends from season 2 to wrap up and I think if they plan to jump to a new one, it's more likely to happen near the end of the season instead of starting a new, suddenly switching protagonists can cause people to be upset.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, wouldn’t surprise me if this season ties up the loose ends, then includes a stinger of the next Belmont (I dunno who, never played the games).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's a fair amount of people I know who got into Netflixvania due to hype but never played the games, so suddenly jumping from Trevor to Christopher or going back in time for Leon would lose them (it wouldn't the 'Raiden for Snake' level of backlash, but it wouldn't be well-received), since games ultimately are a different medium than an animated series.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess Simon's one man war against Dracula probably doesn't leave much room for other characters or even dialog.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN1HNkoL2QA

I really wish this was more about Gru and less about the Minions.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

castlevania season 4: Soma Cruz

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I guess Simon's one man war against Dracula probably doesn't leave much room for other characters or even dialog.

Just have him narrate like a pulp protagonist. I mean "What a horrible night to have a curse" is the sort of opening line pulp fiction writers would have killed to come up with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

there's still some loose ends from season 2 to wrap up and I think if they plan to jump to a new one, it's more likely to happen near the end of the season instead of starting a new, suddenly switching protagonists can cause people to be upset.

On the other hand, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is one of the most popular animes out there now.

Season 4 should jump to Soma Cruz.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I would absolutely love to see Soma Cruz, the sorrow games were my favorite out of the IGA-era, but I'd definitely want a proper build up.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Castlevania Anime would be a great place to tell the Julius Belmont story now that there's pretty much no hope for one in the games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just have Simon team up with his good friend Isabelle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just watched Toy Story 4 on Disney+. First impression is, there's always been an undercurrent of existential dread in the series, but they really laid it on thick this time, huh? Kind of a drag. I'm not sure I'll bother showing this one to the kids for a while, even though I'm sure they'll eventually realize it exists.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Safety Factor posted:

honestly, I've kind of pictured the CV1 adaptation as either being S1-length or just a straight up movie for this reason.

there's not a lot of meat to it, the plot is basically just "Dracula's castle appears, Simon goes to gently caress his poo poo up." it's a medieval Die Hard on a X plot, basically.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You could maybe do something with CV2, but it'd have to have a different vibe, which might defeat the point.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, I've kind of pictured the CV1 adaptation as either being S1-length or just a straight up movie for this reason.

there's not a lot of meat to it, the plot is basically just "Dracula's castle appears, Simon goes to gently caress his poo poo up." it's a medieval Die Hard on a X plot, basically.
Yeah, I'd be down for Simon's story as a movie or four episode block or whatever. Him absolutely loving up Dracula's poo poo for 90 minutes would probably be pretty entertaining. I'd watch Die Hard but in Dracula's Castle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ho ho ho, now I have a holy water

Yippie ki yie ay, graveyard duck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Lemming posted:

Just watched Toy Story 4 on Disney+. First impression is, there's always been an undercurrent of existential dread in the series, but they really laid it on thick this time, huh? Kind of a drag. I'm not sure I'll bother showing this one to the kids for a while, even though I'm sure they'll eventually realize it exists.

Existential dread is pretty much the central theme of the entire series, if anything it's impressive that they actually manage to stick to it through the whole thing.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
chaks

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm so glad i got the confirmation itt that bakshi is not a supercreep before i gave him my heart

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sir Lemming posted:

I ended up liking it a whole lot more than I thought I would. I was kind of wary about just because 3 ended the series on such a perfect note but I liked how they shook things up by bringing back Bo Peep and actually giving her a character, by giving the “villain” a happy ending, and by having Woody leave Bonnie and the others behind at the end. Like 3 I don’t feel like they should continue the series any further but I’m sure they’ll come up with something eventually because Disney won’t ever stop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man. I dunno what made it show up in my recommends suddenly, but a bunch of A Fox In Space clips began getting recommended to me. I forgot that even existed, it was a fascinating little one-man operation making a pretty neat take on the Star Fox cast. Really solid animation(despite being mostly standing around) in a weird, retro style, with decent voice acting, all by one dude. I think Nintendo tried to shut it down initially, but I guess they relented.

This is the original "episode one",
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY&hd=1

and this one was just recommended to me, and I really like this little scene. Tense and I like how it was shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DTgzCjv4U&hd=1

and this last week, Falco and his parents having dinner at a restaurant. fuckin' weird but I dig it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9GyBhFHUQ&hd=1

He's been posting clips from "episode two" for years I guess, but it's not out yet, probably, maybe almost done? kudos to him for turning a little tribute thing he made into an actual living, and he does animation tutorials and stuff on twitch I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This preview pic:

looks like a furry version of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Star Wolf looking thirsty as gently caress.

Dude is deffo lipsticking in those army issued jodhpurs