Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Leperflesh posted:

Hi xcheopis, I wanted you to know that at least one other goon has heard shriekback songs and appreciates being reminded of one.

Make that two :hfive:. Time to go see if I can find "Nemesis" on youtube.

fake edit: yep, absolutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Hi xcheopis, I wanted you to know that at least one other goon has heard shriekback songs and appreciates being reminded of one.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yay!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Gone Fashing posted:

is my brain making things up or was at least one member of tokyo police club a goon

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3011007

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is this the thread for forums coding nightmares or had we been posting them in the quotes thread?

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Every single forum seems to show "0 users browsing" for me. If I click on it, then it shows that people are browsing, but the number doesn't change even as I read over the list of posters. Noticed this in both the new fast food forum and GBS, and a quick check over a few different subforums shows that its the same everywhere.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yep. Fun fact - I looked for where that information was computed in the code, and the section that does it it commented out with a note that says "this should really be done in a separate script". I assume that project was successful, since it worked all that time, but I can't for the life of me find that script.

It's definitely not in the main repo of forums code because none of that code writes to the memcache key that stores the stats for this. I don't even know what machine it's running on and I feel insane. There are a few stats scripts that run this way, including the one that updates "4235 users online" and "10 goldmined threads", but per-forum stats aren't in there. I'm going to have the forums code compute this like before, but it's bizarre to know that there is a script out there that is supposed to do this that I simply cannot find.

I found it....in chooch's home directory.....on the dev server.

It should work now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leperflesh posted:

You two may or may not appreciate The Real McKenzies' "Haggises".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzI49-4xzps

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

yess thank you

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Is this the thread for forums coding nightmares or had we been posting them in the quotes thread?

What the jesusing gently caress christ

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Somfin posted:

Jeffrey is a saint.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Inceltown posted:

Jeffrey is a saint.

In that he is performing miracles

I'd heard tell that this site was held together with spit and prayers but that is something else

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Being a 'regular' on this site is like going to your local bar to hang out with friends but the bar is teetering over the mouth of an active volcano and someone's currently sawing through the floor joists to install a new bathtub

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

purple death ray posted:

Being a 'regular' on this site is like going to your local bar to hang out with friends but the bar is teetering over the mouth of an active volcano and someone's currently sawing through the floor joists to install a new bathtub

So, the general feeling of existing as a self-aware human being in 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

purple death ray posted:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So, the general feeling of existing as a self-aware human being in 2020

yeah but like, also doing the Ruddha laughing at the sky thing

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

purple death ray posted:

yeah but like, also doing the Ruddha laughing at the sky thing

That's pretty much the only way to not completely lose your mind at this point in world history.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pastry of the Year posted:

That's pretty much the only way to not completely lose your mind at this point in world history.

I self medicate with weed myself. hysterical laughter at the sky usually gets me a talking to.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Somfin posted:

It's nice knowing Radium went on to work on the ACA rollout.

Given the immense clusterfuck in Iowa, I'd imagine he was consulting on the Democratic Caucus app as well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ulmont posted:

I couldn't parse any of that brogue except the line about haggis, but I did get a kick out of it! (My husband, who also likes Shriekback, started with "what the gently caress are we listening ---", looked over and saw I was on the forums, and just went back to what he was doing.)

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Married goons ftw

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Platystemon posted:

lmfao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ulmont posted:

I wouldn't say this was much like Shriekback but I liked it so thank you anyway.

I couldn't parse any of that brogue except the line about haggis, but I did get a kick out of it! (My husband, who also likes Shriekback, started with "what the gently caress are we listening ---", looked over and saw I was on the forums, and just went back to what he was doing.)

Lol my wife got used to GBS.fm for the year or so that I occasionally tuned into that. Random assortment of screamo metal, weird goon-made parody songs full of numbers station recordings and droning, and oh hey a classic Debbie Harry song, ok, and now we're listening to Brahms, and then we're back onto obscure black metal.

By comparison, random youtubes in threads doesn't even warrant a glance.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not well versed on meat shoes lore, was there ever a definitive answer or was it just a magical idea that was too good for this world?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

seems more like savage's thing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

purple death ray posted:

The Secret Service drops by on occasion and they ain’t looking for funny money.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The Secret Service drops by on occasion and they ain’t looking for funny money.

What's the count for secret service subpeonas? Double digits by now?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Twisty getting a visit from the FBI for posting in a presidential assassination thread and having to explain Goatse to an FBI agent (might not have actually happened but I want it to be true)

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
twisty definitely did get visited by the fbi but i don't remember the circumstances

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

this website is a haunted house and we are the ghosts trapped within its halls

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

user Pinecone_Sample got a visit from the FBI for posting in the r/relationships thread

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oxxidation posted:

this website is a haunted house and we are the ghosts trapped within its halls

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bell jar posted:

user Pinecone_Sample got a visit from the FBI for posting in the r/relationships thread

It was a phonecall not a visit but yeah. This also was possibly one of the funniest things to happen in r/relationship outside of someone saying americans are prudes because someone didn't wanna have sex in a kids room

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
website ghosts are stored in the halls

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bell jar posted:

If that was from 1 post does reddit just have a station office for agents to work from?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tashilicious posted:

It was a phonecall not a visit but yeah. This also was possibly one of the funniest things to happen in r/relationship outside of someone saying americans are prudes because someone didn't wanna have sex in a kids room

Didnt someone also say Americans are prudes for thinking its gross for a woman to have a guy nut on her face, then interact with her family while it's still on her face, or am I conflating the two

God drat theres some takes in that thread

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Danaru posted:

Didnt someone also say Americans are prudes for thinking its gross for a woman to have a guy nut on her face, then interact with her family while it's still on her face, or am I conflating the two

That’s just hair gel you sicko

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danaru posted:

christ I must have missed that post.

Either way women are really brave to bring their faces so close to something that jingles like coins.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Danaru posted:

Not sure but it was the thread where a lot of people learned that it's not considered cheating in Europe if you toss off a stripper at your hens party.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

Not sure but it was the thread where a lot of people learned that it's not considered cheating in Europe if you toss off a stripper at your hens party.

I believe heteronormativity was thrown in as a buzzword too

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The r/relationships thread is a goldmine, it just got rebooted in GBS so you don't have to wade through 4000 pages. Worth following if you don't already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tashilicious posted:

I believe heteronormativity was thrown in as a buzzword too

The handjobs were hetronormative, the family facials were "European". I'm fairly sure the prudes poster was also the same one as the "my extensive time in Europe means I can confirm that Irish and British people would NEVER EVER marry or even associate" so I'm skeptical on their specific level of euthority.