Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pony: Danni

Poison: Ben

I remember Danni playing a really smart understated social game in Guatemala - she went from being in the minority at the merge (and a perceived pair with public enemy number one!) to somehow convincing the majority alliance to vote out not-particularly-likeable players over her. She really impressed me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Pony: Sophie
Poison: BRob

Also it's worth nothing that Amber and Parv both said they want Sandra gone lol

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

curiousCat posted:

I really truly hope that these people all learned from the Second Chances season in that the "characters" need to gang up and join forces so they're all not voted out immediately. Otherwise we're going to get a final group of like....Amber, Michele, Adam, Danni, and Sarah. That would definitely be what kills Survivor.

If we had a final 5 of, for instance, Rob, Tyson, Parvati, Jeremy, and Sandra how awesome would that be? CBS would buy in another 40 seasons.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

curiousCat posted:

Pony: Sophie
Poison: BRob

Of course Parvati wants Sandra gone, Sandra outwitted her like a chump in HvV.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Pony: Natalie.

Poison: I don't know, Danni? It would be cool to see Old School go the distance but I have no interest in her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its weird thinking that right now Danni is probably over the moon that she just got a Superbowl win but Danni on the show will have no idea.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I just found out this existed, and... they're letting Boston Rob and Amber back at the same time? One of those two literally has to be the first person voted out unless the rest of the cast is all secretly incompetent morons, right? They're the reason why nobody even goes for romances any more, because Rob and Amber demonstrated that a successful couple are unbeatable; they're an alliance that's guaranteed to not betray each other and legitimately don't care which one of them wins the money because they have the same bank account. You can't let them have any power at all.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I say this every year but Survivor Australia really deserves a watch. Episode three of this season was just crazy and winners season aside puts the American version to shame.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I just found out this existed, and... they're letting Boston Rob and Amber back at the same time? One of those two literally has to be the first person voted out unless the rest of the cast is all secretly incompetent morons, right?

Yes, but, pre-game alliances exist (Rob set the precedent for that with All-Stars), there's Edge of Extinction (so no one is really "gone" once voted out), and they're getting paid substantial appearance fees just for showing up so it's not a huge deal if they are voted out quickly (Rob assuredly getting the most of anyone).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

I say this every year but Survivor Australia really deserves a watch. Episode three of this season was just crazy and winners season aside puts the American version to shame.

Came her to plug this. It was one of the best episodes in the shows history (US included). Also works really well as a standalone episode. Please please please watch it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sand Monster posted:

Yes, but, pre-game alliances exist (Rob set the precedent for that with All-Stars), there's Edge of Extinction (so no one is really "gone" once voted out), and they're getting paid substantial appearance fees just for showing up so it's not a huge deal if they are voted out quickly (Rob assuredly getting the most of anyone).
I know, I'm just saying: everyone else is idiots if they don't boot 'em to EoE at the first opportunity. One of them can be dealt with, but if you let that duo make it to the merge, they win the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

Of all the Australia players, David should 100% get a shot at US Survivor. Pretty sure he likely has everything set to legally compete on US Survivor since he has at least did modelling work in NYC.

And yea, you all got time before season 40 starts, go watch some superior Survivor :)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

OP quote :coolfish:

Pony: Sandra duh
Poison: BAAAAAAAHSTON RAAAAAAAHB

In general, there are a lot more people I'm excited to see again than people that suck. I cannot wait to see Tyson troll Ben (and everyone else really) for the whole season, because there's no way he doesn't.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Survivor at 40 special was fine. They left out the incredible letter to Russell from HvV and Parvati's dramatic reading. No Adventure Jeff either. :(

The end of the special is ~2 minutes from the S40 premiere. This seems impossible to believe but Sandra says she was shocked Rob was playing and he never told her he was playing again. I can almost trust "Amber's coming back but I'm done." but even then...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't get to watch the S40 special but lmao if Rob only agreed to do 39 so he could troll Sandra in 40.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone taking Michelle Fitzgerald as their winner pick?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Pony: Danni

Poison: Ben

I remember Danni playing a really smart understated social game in Guatemala - she went from being in the minority at the merge (and a perceived pair with public enemy number one!) to somehow convincing the majority alliance to vote out not-particularly-likeable players over her. She really impressed me!

Good choice, no one's going to be gunning for Danni when there are so many other big targets around.

Pony: Wendell
Poison: Boston Rob. He already holds enough records eg for most games played, has to be seen as the biggest threat in the game and can't be allowed to get to the merge.
OTOH, if Rob or Amber goes to EoE early and can send fire token benefits to their spouse, they could do some damage to other players plans.

Big Taint posted:

OP quote :coolfish:

Pony: Sandra duh
Poison: BAAAAAAAHSTON RAAAAAAAHB

In general, there are a lot more people I'm excited to see again than people that suck. I cannot wait to see Tyson troll Ben (and everyone else really) for the whole season, because there's no way he doesn't.

Last night's preview showed 2 boats pulling up to Jeff, and the first words we heard from Tyson was him trolling (negging?) the women who stumbed getting off their boat.

There's been a lot of anti-Edge of Extinction talk but there could be compelling dramatic tension there, with so many big personalities playing.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 6, 2020

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Binary Logic posted:

There's been a lot of anti-Edge of Extinction talk but there could be compelling dramatic tension there, with so many big personalities playing.

I firmly disagree. EoE is a flawed mechanic to where all of the people who are there have ZERO reason to do all of the politicking with each other, because they know that it's just going to be a case of one person gets to go back, and that person is someone we've gotten to bond with (outside of the immense social pressures of the game). There are no stakes to EoE. If they had to vote people out of EoE it'd be different, because they'd have to still play the game, but as we saw from s38, it's really just all friendship happy hour and the opposite of dramatic tension.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea making them do a EoE tribal would be good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EofE was flawed but there's two ways to potentially fix it.

1) End it right around Jury time so that all that "bonding" is cut short and the Jury sees the EoE returnee's game in Tribal the same way they see every one else's.

2) Fill the cast with veterans who already know each other and have tons of ego and agendas and whatever so a week or two of bonding is less impactful.

Like, even if Parv and Sandra spend 25 days together I don't know that I buy that means Parv goes "well now I just want to give Sandra a win because we've been through so much." I don't think that's necessarily the way this cast/season is wired.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea making them do a EoE tribal would be good.

Or, and this may be a weird and unorthodox idea, don't have EoE at all and once you're out you're out?

Call me crazy but....

(Also, another plug for AUS Survivor - it's already soooooo good. I'm not even caught up yet but drat this seasons is amazing already)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sometimes I feel like the first people out don’t really get a chance to play the game so I’m not exactly against the idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think t was an unquestionable proof of concept that EoE gave us Reem as a character and Devens with a second chance. Everyone dislikes that Chris came back late and won because the Jury all bonded with him and he didn't have to burn any of them, but we kind of forget that Devens was voted out pre-jury and ended up being the best player of the season.

There's a good idea in EoE. And it makes sense to use it this season so when Sandra is eliminated in the first episode that's not the last we see of her. But obviously the way it played out the first time was bad.

Again, I think the simplest answer is to end it at Jury.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think t was an unquestionable proof of concept that EoE gave us Reem as a character and Devens with a second chance. Everyone dislikes that Chris came back late and won because the Jury all bonded with him and he didn't have to burn any of them, but we kind of forget that Devens was voted out pre-jury and ended up being the best player of the season.

That was Victoria :colbert:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

EOE sucks. But will probably be good for Season 40 to have it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pony: Parvati. Seasons with her around are just more fun.

Poison: Adam, whose super power is being annoying even while crying for legitimately sympathetic situations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think EoE this season is fine... unless He Who Has No Name wins after a stay on juryjury island. Then it will be perfect.

Anyone watch Episode 0?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 7, 2020

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SweetJahasus posted:

Or, and this may be a weird and unorthodox idea, don't have EoE at all and once you're out you're out?

SweetJahasus posted:

(Also, another plug for AUS Survivor - it's already soooooo good. I'm not even caught up yet but drat this seasons is amazing already)

Edge of Extinction also completely stifles big moves. These two sentences are a perfect example. There is no way the events that occurred in episode 3 would have happened if EoE existed. People are going to know there was a rat as soon as they go back to EoE and you aren't going to stab someone in the back when you know a) they'll be on the Jury and b) they could return to the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

I think EoE this season is fine... unless He Who Has No Name wins after a stay on juryjury island. Then it will be perfect.

Anyone watch Episode 0?

it's a general highlight episode, not focused on the players for this season, so it's pretty good since it's not forced highlights

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked it, I think it would be a good primer for someone aware of Survivor but hadn't gave a poo poo about it in ages. A higher production youtube compilation of good moments.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
pony: ethan (shot in the dark)

poison: sarah

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That cast is stacked and I'm really hoping we get a good season because if this one is bad then that's probably Survivor(US at least) done right?

Kinda sounds like we should all be watching the Aus version instead though...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

CODChimera posted:

That cast is stacked and I'm really hoping we get a good season because if this one is bad then that's probably Survivor(US at least) done right?

Kinda sounds like we should all be watching the Aus version instead though...
Ratings would have to tank really fast to get S41 canceled before they start shooting in late March and the whole operation saves money by shooting back to back. They're probably good for another year.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I haven't watched the last two seasons, but here's hoping this season isn't a complete production mess. I also kinda hope some of the big threats are taken out early. though I don't think people should really be gunning for Sandra until late pre-merge/post-merge, when she's such a perfect decoy vote.
but Rob, Tony, Ben (what with the idol hunting), Kim, Parvati? those should be the biggest targets. I think Amber's probably going fairly early. Nick was always fairly useless in challenges, so he's at huge risk if anyone cares about tribal strength.

rooting for: Denise, Jeremy, Natalie, Michele, Sophie, Yul, Nick, Adam, Sandra
rooting against: Rob, Amber, Parvati, Ben, Tony, Sarah
neutral: Kim, Wendell, Ethan, Danni, Tyson

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spatula City posted:

I haven't watched the last two seasons, but here's hoping this season isn't a complete production mess. I also kinda hope some of the big threats are taken out early. though I don't think people should really be gunning for Sandra until late pre-merge/post-merge, when she's such a perfect decoy vote.

The 'perfect decoy vote' is how 'goats' keep slipping into the endgame.

The only person who really managed that strategy correctly was Jeremy, and even it almost fell apart at the end.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm betting Adam cries in the first episode

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Has the ratings been good the last couple seasons?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Invalid Validation posted:

Has the ratings been good the last couple seasons?

I guess it depends on your definition of good but it's doing ok

Here's the week before the finale from last season

I picked the week before because finales always get a boost but it was still behind Masked Singer since that was their finale too (also because it owns).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not good at reading ratings but as best as I can tell it keeps to the modern tv reality that is "this sort of 'live' show draws better ratings than most of the other stuff and costs way less than the stuff like Modern Family."

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pony: Yul
Poison: Bawstun Rawb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Listening to Josh Wigler on his latest RHAP appearance and I appreciate how hard he’s making GBS threads on Probst now.