Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, Digimon being for kids is a weird take imo. The imagery of the series feels really suited for reflecting adolescence. Heck, they could have Greymon and Garurumon take the place of their Rookie stages as their default forms, literally reflecting the growth from Child to Adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Alternately make it so the "Last Evolution" in title be a refers to Taichi himself, who finally figures out where he's going to do and metaphorically "evolves" into his own adult form. Yeah, there's a timer on being "Chosen Children", but it turns out that doesn't apply anymore BECAUSE they aren't kids anymore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

Yeah, Digimon being for kids is a weird take imo.

In any other franchise adjacent to this one, this would come off as the dumbest bullshit thing that entitled man baby fans could say

But outside of, in a rare turn of events, some side stuff aimed at younger audience, Digimon has largely been aimed at older audiences for quite some time now. Digimon Survive doesn't have an official age rating, but everything about it seems like it's aimed at the older demo of video game players, and Digimon Adventure as a brand has basically been exclusively aimed at the older demo for the last five years or so.

Interest in new Tamers stories and the like also come from older fans, and the re-released Digivices are always for the people nostalgic for tamagotchi

I don't think there's even a budget kids line for Digimon figures anymore, is there? It's all expensive adult toy stuff. Mind Digimon toys have always been weird because you have the awesome cyborg T-Rex standing side by side with the sexualized angels, both of them. Angemon knows how to rock a loincloth

Which I guess ties into the weird thing about Digimon from a design point of view. It was never as cute and kid friendly as Pokemon. It always seemed to skew higher to the teenage market, even back in the day.

I guess Toei just embraced that of late. Digimon never wanted to be Pokemon, it always wanted to be Dragon Ball Z. But not the actual Dragon Ball, which was goofy and silly with shocking amounts of violence because of the 80s, but the way people thought DBZ was during the Cell Saga.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can absolutely see where you got that, and my baf for the imprecise language. However, I meant Digimon being for in setting kids. As a franchise Digimon is all about navigating this complex network of maturation, bonds, and emotional self assessment. Its a franchise where the first power-up you get is learning how to put your own doubts aside and, quite literally, step up to the plate to become the Adult in a situation. When Digimon are literally creatures made to grow and mature alongside you, it feels weird to then go "actually nah jk its childhood crud to be left behind."

Like, absolutely, adult fanbases crashing into something and demanding it be theirs can be lovely and detrimental. It won't make Digimon better as a franchise, whether through nostalgia overdose or through cringeworthy attempts at making it "mature." But even compared to usual shonen or YA material, the motifs of Digimon really feel well suited towards telling stories about characters at all stages of life, and could really take a compelling, symbollic look at what adolescence means for those who are just about to experience it themselves

The Bee fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 4, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was talking with a friend last night about the kind of nonsense you could do with a Digimon have integrated into the real world setting, and he brought up that I basically want Detective Pikachu, but with Draculas

And you know what? I'd love that, give me that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

I was talking with a friend last night about the kind of nonsense you could do with a Digimon have integrated into the real world setting, and he brought up that I basically want Detective Pikachu, but with Draculas

And you know what? I'd love that, give me that.

Have you heard of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

Have you heard of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Well the further joke that developed from there was that what I actually wanted was the new animated Harley Quinn series, but with Digimon instead of DC characters

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Well the further joke that developed from there was that what I actually wanted was the new animated Harley Quinn series, but with Digimon instead of DC characters

Or to put it another way a Venture Brothers version of Digimon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/habumon/status/1225377590258491392?s=21

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is this for Survive? Because that sounds super interesting as a setting. By itself, the Illiad and Yggdrasil Digital Worlds exist in the "core canon", that is, in the vpet storyline (it's where the Olympus 13 come from), so this would be the first time we see that adapted. The third Digital World is brand-new.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is this for Survive? Because that sounds super interesting as a setting. By itself, the Illiad and Yggdrasil Digital Worlds exist in the "core canon", that is, in the vpet storyline (it's where the Olympus 13 come from), so this would be the first time we see that adapted. The third Digital World is brand-new.

Third one might be Witchelny, another realm that's been mentioned occasionally but never deeply explored(Wizardmon and a couple other Digimon are supposed to have originally been from it)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Third one might be Witchelny, another realm that's been mentioned occasionally but never deeply explored(Wizardmon and a couple other Digimon are supposed to have originally been from it)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The three digital worlds is part of the Bandai canon. Homeros and the Digital World Iliad is the one where the Olympus Twelve hold dominion over the Royal Knights.

The third digital world is either the old Digital World Yggdrasil abandoned when he instituted Project Ark to stave off the Digital Hazard, or the new one he created. These are from the Digimon Chronicle and Digimon Chronicle X storylines.

Witchelny is the digital world of another dimension, while all three of these are connected to the same human world. It’s also the setting of one of Bandai’s other virtual pet lines, “Magical Witches”.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:eyepop:

This is gonna be ambitious.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Either the lore grew, or I haven't paid attention in the last 20 years, where did homer and the illiad come from?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

Either the lore grew, or I haven't paid attention in the last 20 years, where did homer and the illiad come from?

It started being mentioned when they started filling in the Olympus Twelve, and was used as the setting of the Aegiomon storyline in Digimon Crusader.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mandatory lesbian posted:

The Mobile Games. About 2 poo poo mobages back the Digimon one was Digimon Crusader where the plot, such as it was (mobage) was about Aegiomon and the Olympos XII. If you noticed they dumped out the entire Olympian pantheon as Digimon a couple of years back that's the reason.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Omnicrom posted:

The Mobile Games. About 2 poo poo mobages back the Digimon one was Digimon Crusader where the plot, such as it was (mobage) was about Aegiomon and the Olympos XII. If you noticed they dumped out the entire Olympian pantheon as Digimon a couple of years back that's the reason.

I'm just thrilled to have some other group of Megas so we don't have to repeat the tired old "Royal Knights fight because Yggdrasil told them to" plot.

I mean, they're still going to, of course, but now they have more options.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

I'm just thrilled to have some other group of Megas so we don't have to repeat the tired old "Royal Knights fight because Yggdrasil told them to" plot.

I mean, they're still going to, of course, but now they have more options.

Big points to the Xros Wars manga for actually having the Royal Knights as a force of good in the heroes' side instead of repeating the same plot X Evolution, Savers, Cyber Sleuth...and probably several others already used.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Big points to the Xros Wars manga for actually having the Royal Knights as a force of good in the heroes' side instead of repeating the same plot X Evolution, Savers, Cyber Sleuth...and probably several others already used.

Tri, you forgot Tri you lucky bastard.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Tri, you forgot Tri you lucky bastard.

I'm not sure if to count Tri since the Royal Knights as a group do not exist in Adventure...but hell, Yggdrasil sent Alphamon. Let's count it.

I'm not sure why since the series never bothers showing or characterizing Yggdrasil and Alphamon isn't even voiced but that sure happened.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Digi_advntr20th/status/1229329641459961858?s=19

Oh God why

Why wouldn't you just use Zeed Garurumon and Victory Greymon if that's your alternative?

https://twitter.com/KaibaTaichi/status/1229400634111094785

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

They were never going to use existing Digimon for the big new evolutions but they really could've just...designed new ones that didn't look like poo poo.

Then again, poo poo Digimon for a poo poo movie. It's fitting at least.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bring in EmperorGreymon.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Not a fan of Greymon's lips.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is that loving Lobomon

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Why in god's name would you make a Greymon with a human face?

Also that is just a Lobomon who's really been hitting the gym.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 18, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, no, no, no

He's a completely new Digimon!

Wolfmon!

wait

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I will admit, the Greymon markings being used as tribal tats on Greyman does look pretty cool.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
someday a digimon movie will cater to me and me alone and have the heroes' big showpiece digimon be botamon blast mode

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can kind of give Matt’s evolution a pass because it keeps with Gabumon looking like a fat Yoshi wearing a wolf’s pelt.

But that Greymon is trash.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know what, actually? I officially refuse to refer to them as anything but WarGreyman and MetalGaruruman from now on.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why go so far from the old dinosaur and wolf theme? These just look disturbingly human. Like those lips and chin look so weird at that size next to the kids.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly?

Remember how we talked about Digimon, especially Adventure stuff, being aimed at older audiences now?

Well that has the consequences of boring rear end non cool sick rear end monster designs being the go to thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The worst part of digimon is that as you get to the higher stage ones they tend to solidify more and more into 'human in armor/bdsm suit' as an aesthetic.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It feels like they're always chasing that first high of Omnimon, leading to increasingly humanlike designs. The reality is sometimes you just want a wolf with more guns than god.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's some higher end Greymon designs that aren't bad. Hell, you can find better stuff than that evolution on DeviantArt.

I don't mind the armor/bondage stuff, personally, but I also think there's a certain rust to the idea. I only personally speak from experience on Adventure here, but from what I've seen of the rest of the franchise this still counts: Digimon mostly doesn't pay much attention to the infant forms because it's audience are people who noticed that every Pokemon was carefully designed to be a potential breakout mascot and hates them for it. Armor/bondage is great if you're the kind of person who makes an avatar of Pikachu being killed in bloody ways. There was a little while there where liking Pokemon was a sign of immaturity to a certain type of cultural gatekeeper, and the general message was that people had "moved on". YuGiOh also benefitted from this, but Adventure got the audience that was even a little bit older and was distancing themselves from cute Beanie Baby style Pokemons even before Pokemon generation II. And now today, Sword & Shield is the most successful launch of any generation to date, and has sold more copies than any title of the past few Nintendo generations.

Unfortunately, this is a battle Adventure was always going to lose, because once you're closer to 30 than you are to 15, you stop caring about seeing your post-pubesence reflected in the characters you like, you become more comfortable a peripheral fan of a kids-focused IP, and you put aside the jihad against kawaii* and like cute monsters (◕‿◕✿) at which point the Digimon designs become more and more dull or even problematic and you start being more embarrassed of liking boob armor angel woman than Ditto and Snorlax. Doubly so if you have kids, because now you're trying to hide Rosemon or something from a five-year-old.

So in a lot of ways, it kind of makes sense that Adventure decided that now is the time to say goodbye to the older fans, and that as they leave they turn us off with designs that are trying too hard. Because it's that perceived edgyness at the expense of trying too hard that drove 14 year olds to it to begin with.

* ADTRW > Digimon Thread - the jihad against kawaii

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 18, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
People on twitter trying to fix the Wargreyman design

I kinda like this one sans the swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God I didn't even realize Greyman had a tiny noodle tail