Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my attitude is that they are all a joke so we might as well go with a cheap one that isn't a pain in the rear end to run like SEP. Maybe something that logs all process execution so I can shove that in the siem and do some real work since they won't like me do a global rollout of sysmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm sick and tired of hearing about EDR and threat hunting when I don't even have the staffing to install the current poo poo on half the assets we own

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sep is actively harmful to your security

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my attitude is that they are all a joke so we might as well go with a cheap one that isn't a pain in the rear end to run like SEP. Maybe something that logs all process execution so I can shove that in the siem and do some real work since they won't like me do a global rollout of sysmon

I will add process monitoring as an addon to Checkbox for $1 per machine

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
this is cool and awesome (unironically this is also a good walkthrough on spying on local encrypted traffic)

quote:

Wacom drawing tablets track the name of every application that you open

https://robertheaton.com/2020/02/05/wacom-drawing-tablets-track-name-of-every-application-you-open/

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

DrPossum posted:

this is cool and awesome (unironically this is also a good walkthrough on spying on local encrypted traffic)

https://robertheaton.com/2020/02/05/wacom-drawing-tablets-track-name-of-every-application-you-open/

quote:

Disclaimer: I haven’t asked Wacom for comment about this story because I’m not a journalist and I don’t know how to do that.

So far so good.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao

security fuckup megathread - <hi>Rick</hi>

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Fool posted:

sep is actively harmful to your security

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/732365178872856577?s=20

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Shame Boy posted:

i made a quick diagram because i feel like i'm not very good at explaining

The problem you've got here is that you're having your customer's tablets trust your root, but then having that root sign all the customers keys.

So your customer's tablets would trust not just their own, but all other customer's keys, via your root. Poof, no more security.

I don't know how this is supposed to make anything easier. Instead of having to add the cert their server generates, they have to add your root cert. Whatever, that still makes them add a cert, right?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
computers are an utter joke and society should never have trusted even the simplest, least important thing to them

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

I'm sick and tired of hearing about EDR and threat hunting when I don't even have the staffing to install the current poo poo on half the assets we own

Fuuuck do i feel this. I feel this in my goddamn bones.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

lol they should've used certificate pinning for sending their spyware data

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
FYI for people who care about SSL/TLS configurations, the Qualys SSL Labs tester is now marking servers that offer TLS 1.0 and 1.1 as grade "B" at most. if you want to get an "A" grade you will need to serve only TLS 1.2 and above. this is in line with the latest TLS configuration recommendations from Mozilla which also recommend TLS 1.2 as the minimum supported version (configuration generator matching those recommendations here). also, all of the major browser vendors have announced they are disabling TLS 1.0 and 1.1 by default in the first half of this year so make sure your servers enable at least 1.2 if not 1.3.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
if nothing else i'll give the iowa app devs kudos for using auth0

i deal with a lot of customers in the "trying to leave legacy tech paradigms behind" space and i swear to god if i have to deal with one more fucker that tries to cobble together a bespoke authn/authz system out of jwts prayers and duct tape i will start stabbing people

oidc and oidc-capable identity providers may not be perfect but that doesn't mean you're going to somehow fare better trying to slowly reinvent it poorly

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it's bad, but i'm reasonably sure if someone leaked diebold's voting machine implementation it too would be on the level of babby's first burp and fart piano apk
i think you’ll struggle to find infosec people who disagree with you

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr.Radar posted:

FYI for people who care about SSL/TLS configurations, the Qualys SSL Labs tester is now marking servers that offer TLS 1.0 and 1.1 as grade "B" at most.

if you serve TLS 1.0 in tyool 2020 (nobody cares about 1.1 the set of devices that support 1.1 but not 1.2 is miniscule) you either do not care about your TLS configuration or do not care what Qualys has to say about it.

godspeed all you unfortunate souls in the latter category with large enough customer bases using Android <=4.x and XP still

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

work made me give my contact info to every AV company in the top half of the gartner quadrant bs and I am in absolute hell

Oh man I feel your pain, I spoke at a trade show for my company and holy hell the vendors are wall to wall email and calling. Motherfuckers i have no use for any of your products.

Also just use Defender, there’s literally no other AV on windows that is worth paying for.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ewiley posted:

Oh man I feel your pain, I spoke at a trade show for my company and holy hell the vendors are wall to wall email and calling. Motherfuckers i have no use for any of your products.

Also just use Defender, there’s literally no other AV on windows that is worth paying for.

yeah I am pulling for defender but the only way I'm getting approval for that is with ATP because they demand some kind of centralized visibility. E3 licensing doesn't include it and I doubt we're going to E5 so its an extra bolt-on that I might not be able to afford

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

quote:

the app was built in several months at a cost of $63,182.

drat!

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
How much of a shitshow is it to sign JWTs with a plain old pub/priv key pair, no CA involved? As you may notice, I'm an idiot who has no idea what is going on.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah I am pulling for defender but the only way I'm getting approval for that is with ATP because they demand some kind of centralized visibility. E3 licensing doesn't include it and I doubt we're going to E5 so its an extra bolt-on that I might not be able to afford

if Microsoft lowered the pricing on some of this stuff they would totally eliminate all competition

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

redleader posted:

computers are an utter joke and society should never have trusted even the simplest, least important thing to them

in picard when the lady romulan was explaining how romulans dont trust any form of machine intelligence and keep their computers simple i just kept nodding in agreement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind

i mean yeah obviously have you seen what sort of idiots the human mind produces?

much better to get hopped up on space ritalin sapho juice

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrPossum posted:

i just assume that this is what literally every program does if you leave that "send anonymous usage statistics to help make the program better!" box hidden deep within the settings menu checked

e: and also probably even if you uncheck it because they never thought anyone would uncheck it so they didn't test that

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

How much of a shitshow is it to sign JWTs with a plain old pub/priv key pair, no CA involved? As you may notice, I'm an idiot who has no idea what is going on.

depends on what else you're doing with them, if it's just making an auth token that the same server which made the token needs to later validate for session-tracking reasons, it's probably fine.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

What kind of visibility? if you’ve got SCCM, it manages the client pretty well with a few caveats (like not pulling logs centrally, no central quarantine, etc) but those are all pretty minor and could be easily picked-up by windows log forwarding. Most requirements I’ve seen just care that scans happen and alerts are forwarded to a central console.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if Microsoft lowered the pricing on some of this stuff they would totally eliminate all competition

they're probably terrified of the existing vendors pushing for an antitrust

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ewiley posted:

What kind of visibility? if you’ve got SCCM, it manages the client pretty well with a few caveats (like not pulling logs centrally, no central quarantine, etc) but those are all pretty minor and could be easily picked-up by windows log forwarding. Most requirements I’ve seen just care that scans happen and alerts are forwarded to a central console.

its the log forwarding, really. We're super fragmented with 50+ domains that we're still trying to collapse down in to one, and probable another 50% we don't even know about yet. no existing windows event forwarder infrastructure exist and trying to push stuff with GPOs will only hit a fraction of the clients. Whatever we use needs to be able to ship client logs to something centrally that we can dump in to the siem without hassle or extra deployment poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just forward all logs to the toilet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

for sure, but I also imagine they make enough money on customers who can afford it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The point can be made that not having you chasing your loving tail on another product for 50% of your work hours is worth the money.

I mean it's this but also oligopoly pricing when you're on top of the market is good for quarterly reports.

its the log forwarding, really. We're super fragmented with 50+ domains that we're still trying to collapse down in to one, and probable another 50% we don't even know about yet.
Oh boy why are you still there when that's the situation and C-boys are nickel and diming you.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 6, 2020

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh boy why are you still there when that's the situation and C-boys are nickel and diming you.

retirement package is really really good and it stays at 40hrs a week. we just had major c-level churn so people are either new or a fill-in while they candidate search so I get to ride this horse poo poo out until someone with some sense grabs the wheel

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Are they willing to spend money? If so, Crowdstrike is my favorite POS advanced endpoint tool right now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

that's fine from a security standpoint, sort of. the actual problem becomes one of orchestration, because everything consuming the JWT needs to trust the keypair. how do you scale that to multiple signers?

1. add another key to a hardcoded list of trusted keys
2. copy the keypair around
3. trust another keypair that signs the keys that actually do the signing

(1) obviously eventually falls down with scale, but can get you pretty far (2) is terrible (3) is a rudimentary CA

and of course you have to have a decent rotation and revocation workflow figured out for when a dev inevitably uploads a server's private key to github

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

I just forward all logs to the toilet

Yes, I believe SEP was already mentioned.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Varkk posted:

Yes, I believe SEP was already mentioned.

SEP is six different toilets being poo poo in to in rapid succession

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symantec Enterprise Pooper

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SEP is six different toilets being poo poo in to in rapid succession

Are they on the edge of a cliff?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

you want to search through SEP logs? then you're going to have in ingest this loving mess

Each of those is a unique csv log feed with its own schema, zero adherence to anything resembling a common information model, and even basic attributes like the client container aren't consistent across them so you're doing join lookups all over the place to figure out who the gently caress owns the server that just got a doublepulsar IPS hit because the IPS logs will only tell you the hostname and IP address and nothing else

e: oh yeah and they'll screw with it and break your parser with every other update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just had a conversation about how all av blows