Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xealot posted:

...I'm realizing how thoroughly the post-2016 political situation has crushed my dreams and made me cynical. I want to believe but reality keeps disappointing me.

I honestly won’t believe this movie is real until I’m in the theater watching it. I still don’t get how this got green lit; last I heard the BR2049 box office killed any chance of it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a good Dune or Dune-like Tabletop RPG?

You picked a great time to ask this question!

There's the classic Avalon Hill board game from the 70s. You used to have to drop $500 on Ebay to get it but now it's back in print and GF9 was even able to license the original artwork too:
https://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13814%20

An official tabletop RPG was announced for a little over a year ago, it's meant to drop a little before the movie releases:

https://www.modiphius.com/dune.html Their past work is pretty solid and they basically mostly do tabletop RPG books from licensed properties.

There are also various unofficial and (and even a few semi-official copyright hell) ones from years ago you might want to poke around into:

https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/45587/dune-chronicles-imperium
http://squaremans.com/the-dune-rpg/
https://rpg.phillipsuk.org/doku.php/dune:start

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 6, 2020

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Neo Rasa posted:

There's the classic Avalon Hill board game from the 70s. You used to have to drop $500 on Ebay to get it but now it's back in print and GF9 was even able to license the original artwork too:
In fact, you can watch this being played right now!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think this has a decent chance at the box office, it's stuffed with popular as gently caress actors and it should at least have goddamn amazing looking trailers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gonna be fun for the studio publicity guy who realises he has to find a way to sell a story that's essentially 'the rise of Mohammed, and Islam's Jihad against imperialist capitalism' to the Star Wars and Marvel crowd. How far will "...but with giant sandworms!" go?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

I think it stands a better chance than BR2049, but Villeneuve is a very restrained and considered director regardless of the content. I'm very sure it'll be good, but can 100% see a mass audience rejecting it as too slow or pretentious or not fun enough or whatever.

Dune has a ton of marketable qualities based on the story alone. There's all the used future and space magic poo poo Star Wars copied, and there are Houses like in Game of Thrones, and superhuman martial arts stuff like The Matrix, and Poe Dameron and Khal Drogo and Thanos and Drax and Zendaya are all there...like, there's a garbage version of this story created by JJ Abrams that'd probably do pretty well. But we're getting the Villeneuve version, so it'll be beautiful and well-made and take the themes and characters seriously and actually be cinematic, and also maybe nobody will care and it'll be a $200M flop.

...I'm realizing how thoroughly the post-2016 political situation has crushed my dreams and made me cynical. I want to believe but reality keeps disappointing me.

I am also concerned that the Jodorowsky Dune documentary has set impossible expectations, (also, did anyone grab the film rights for The Incal?)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Payndz posted:

Gonna be fun for the studio publicity guy who realises he has to find a way to sell a story that's essentially 'the rise of Mohammed, and Islam's Jihad against imperialist capitalism' to the Star Wars and Marvel crowd. How far will "...but with giant sandworms!" go?

Wow! Cool sandworm!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^this

Payndz posted:

Lol the Star Wars and Marvel crowd aren’t even gonna notice, the main reaction will be “cool ideas, but it seems derivative of Star Wars.” :shuckyes:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Payndz posted:

Game of Thrones IN SPACE.

:ms:

e: But seriously, Dune should be easy as gently caress to sell.

1) It's going to have lots of :krad: visuals, which are always good for a trailer.
2) The story actually has a good amount of action. There's one on one combat, giant loving monsters, armies going at it, etc., all stuff that makes good trailer fodder.
3) It's full of marketable actors people recognize. HEY, AQUAMAN AND DRAX ARE PLAYING COOL SPACE DUDES!

I really don't see the problem.

Failson posted:

I am also concerned that the Jodorowsky Dune documentary has set impossible expectations, (also, did anyone grab the film rights for The Incal?)

This won't have the slightest bearing on if this Dune makes a lot of money or not.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 6, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neo Rasa posted:

You picked a great time to ask this question!

An official tabletop RPG was announced for a little over a year ago, it's meant to drop a little before the movie releases:

https://www.modiphius.com/dune.html Their past work is pretty solid and they basically mostly do tabletop RPG books from licensed properties.

There are also various unofficial and (and even a few semi-official copyright hell) ones from years ago you might want to poke around into:

https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/45587/dune-chronicles-imperium
http://squaremans.com/the-dune-rpg/
https://rpg.phillipsuk.org/doku.php/dune:start

I know a guy who has the Dune boardgame, I'll see if I can get to play it.

I have the Metabarons rpg, but it's the old WEG d6 system. :shrug:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Failson posted:

They already made The Fifth Element.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Failson posted:

Pretty sure they can CG in a golden toilet cheap now.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Trump!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm scraping my brain for my fantasy pick of Padishah Emperor, but I'll be goddamned if I can think of a better casting than David Lynch.

"Plots within plots? WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BUSTER"

e: "Paul Muad'dib, have you heard of transcendental mediation?"

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 6, 2020

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Failson posted:

I would genuinely like to visit your world.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody wants to see Dali poo poo in a dolphin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rando posted:

Nobody wants to see Dali poo poo in a dolphin.

Speak for yourself bud

(also I thought it was a swan)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Game of Thrones IN SPACE.

:ms:

e: But seriously, Dune should be easy as gently caress to sell.

1) It's going to have lots of :krad: visuals, which are always good for a trailer.
2) The story actually has a good amount of action. There's one on one combat, giant loving monsters, armies going at it, etc., all stuff that makes good trailer fodder.
3) It's full of marketable actors people recognize. HEY, AQUAMAN AND DRAX ARE PLAYING COOL SPACE DUDES!

I really don't see the problem.

This won't have the slightest bearing on if this Dune makes a lot of money or not.

True enough.

Patrick Spens posted:

I would genuinely like to visit your world.

You don't, it's awful.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

sean10mm posted:

I think this has a decent chance at the box office, it's stuffed with popular as gently caress actors and it should at least have goddamn amazing looking trailers.

It also has almost completely clean air to be the lone December holiday season blockbuster - no Star Wars, no comic book movies, no real competitors at all.

The only thing it seems to be releasing against at all is Eddie Murphy's Coming To America sequel.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I thought Dune was going against Avatar 2 this winter but it looks like Avatar 2 got pushed back to 2021.

EDIT: VV Does anyone now?

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 7, 2020

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is anyone going to give a poo poo about Avatar by then?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

Have they found the one stolen from Blenheim palace yet? :thunk:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I haven't been to the cinema in ages (didn't even bother with star wars) but I'll be going to see this. I imagine there might be others like me. I reckon it'll do ok. Lot of big names that'll help get people in who would have otherwise not been interested.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is coming out in December, and that tends to be a big month for blockbuster movies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

Nessus posted:

He had two Bene Gesserit people in an alien planet two hundred centuries on take a moment to bitch about the liberals. That's what took me out of that one.

Ironic, considering that his entire critique of the idea of jihad is so fundamentally liberal.

Paul's actual tragedy is that he can't reclaim his place in the system without giving commoners a brief outlet for justice and actual change, and he spends two books pouting about it. The best part of the books is that Herbert wanted to be ruled by the God Emperor; he wanted a strong daddy to keep everyone in their place.

He knows that this is bad, and gets as much mileage as he can out of spinning in circles refusing to consider that maybe justice being more important than keeping your hands clean might not just be a luxury of the nobility, and that Paul's guilt over the jihad is pure hypocrisy.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Science fact: Arraikis is the third planet orbiting the star Canopus, a bright giant star 310 light years from Earth.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Ironic, considering that his entire critique of the idea of jihad is so fundamentally liberal.

Paul's actual tragedy is that he can't reclaim his place in the system without giving commoners a brief outlet for justice and actual change, and he spends two books pouting about it. The best part of the books is that Herbert wanted to be ruled by the God Emperor; he wanted a strong daddy to keep everyone in their place.

He knows that this is bad, and gets as much mileage as he can out of spinning in circles refusing to consider that maybe justice being more important than keeping your hands clean might not just be a luxury of the nobility, and that Paul's guilt over the jihad is pure hypocrisy.

I mean he also manages to kill more people than Hitler and Stalin combined and it’s as much about slaying nonbelievers as exacting justice...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The jihad has nothing to do with exacting justice for the Fremen. Paul gives the Fremen their vengeance on the Harkonnen and then exploits their skills and devotion to him to subjugate the rest of the empire.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also a big part of the second part of Dune is that Paul realizes that no matter what he does he's going to be the face of a giant violent genocidal war.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

David D. Davidson posted:

Also a big part of the second part of Dune is that Paul realizes that no matter what he does he's going to be the face of a giant violent genocidal war.

And now you can own that face!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That's already a thing in Dune itself. There's a point where Paul realizes that the only way left to stop the coming jihad is to kill Paul and every last one of his followers and believers, and that is simply impossible.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I never got why in Dune the main fighting style isn’t Monster Trucks—I get why shields obsolete guns, explosives, and lasers (kind of) but what is a dude with a knife going to do about a slow moving vehicle (with maybe some spikes on it etc).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not that much more sanguine than you, but I do think it stands a better chance than Blade Runner because of the ensemble cast, and the fact that seeing the film Dune won't require any familiarity with the story. BR2049 is a sequel to a cult film that preceded it by 35 years. Dune also presents as an epic, optimistic fantasy tale, which is more palatable than a dreary, cynical detective film.

I agree with you about Messiah though. As long as Dune is going to be split into 2 films, Messiah would make a great third act.

I'm hesitant to endorse this because, while you are careful to say "presents" and I see that, Dune really isn't optimistic until you take the fourth book into consideration and the consequences of functional prescience are addressed and disarmed.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

PeterWeller posted:

That's already a thing in Dune itself. There's a point where Paul realizes that the only way left to stop the coming jihad is to kill Paul and every last one of his followers and believers, and that is simply impossible.

yeah, that's what I'm referring to.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

yeah, that's what I'm referring to.

Oh my bad, I took "second part" to mean Dune Messiah and not the second book of Dune.

porfiria posted:

I never got why in Dune the main fighting style isn’t Monster Trucks—I get why shields obsolete guns, explosives, and lasers (kind of) but what is a dude with a knife going to do about a slow moving vehicle (with maybe some spikes on it etc).

Guild shipping costs.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

porfiria posted:

"The dude with the knife" actually has a bomb and sacrifices himself to disable the giant vehicle in the spot he led it to, then 50 Fremen jump out of the sand and murder everyone in the spiked monster truck. There's only so many places that the sand isn't deep enough for worms.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

porfiria posted:

The Atreides are using a technique unknown to us, a technique involving sound.

*la cucaracha horn*

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm hesitant to endorse this because, while you are careful to say "presents" and I see that, Dune really isn't optimistic until you take the fourth book into consideration and the consequences of functional prescience are addressed and disarmed.

Yeah but we’re just talking about the marketing. All of that subversion occurs after you’ve bought the ticket

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As much as Dune blew me away as a kid, I think the Westwood video games really shaped me perception of the setting (although visually obviously they draw from the Lynch movie). I remember as a kid thinking it was so incredible that John Rhys-Davies was in a Dune video game, not realizing he was in any number of lovely genre things in the 90s.

I also remember reading Hellstrom's Hive because it was by the guy who wrote Dune and uhh... wasn't ready for that as a kid.

I also remember reading Destination: Void and The Jesus Incident and when I later read God-Emperor of Dune thinking Herbert was basically just recycling a lot of themes from those earlier books.

davidspackage posted:

The Atreides are using a technique unknown to us, a technique involving sound.

*la cucaracha horn*

One might call this a... Weapon of Choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I gave Irulan's quotations to TalktoTransformer. (If you haven't heard of it, it's a neural network that completes writing prompts based on machine learning.)

"To be sure, we can grasp the intrinsic structure of the physical universe: what is it made of, how fast it is moving, what kinds of atoms and molecules it is composed of, and so on. But it's easy to forget that this is just one possible universe and that our experiences may be purely limited. Logic defines reality. The world we experience is a projection of our thinking minds."

- Princess Irulan

It uh, did a surprisingly good job.