Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'd rather not have Animal Crossing get infected with DLC, 2 bucks for a set of furniture is pushing the boat out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I wouldn't mind if we got a big DLC after a year. Like more bugs, fish, fossils, furniture, events, visitors, everything.

I cannot believe how mad I still am about Pocket Camp. I deleted it a long time ago.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GoodBee posted:

I wouldn't mind if we got a big DLC after a year. Like more bugs, fish, fossils, furniture, events, visitors, everything.

I cannot believe how mad I still am about Pocket Camp. I deleted it a long time ago.

I should have quit sooner, but I stuck with it until they jacked up the xp curve in yet another blatant attempt at keeping you spending money.

That being said, I'm totally fine with DLC if they're essentially expansion packs. However I definitely don't want to see any "$2 for 5 shirts" cosmetic DLCs since that's going right back into microtransaction hell.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Horse House armor when?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no dlc because no matter how "good" it starts off as i cant imagine them showing any restraint if it gives them a decent return

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would accept DLC packs of new items to collect and buy with bells. As long as they are spread out and pretty reasonably priced. No mobile levels of pricing, those things border on absolute scam. Nintendo won't get a single cent from me if there are lootboxes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stux posted:

no dlc because no matter how "good" it starts off as i cant imagine them showing any restraint if it gives them a decent return
What Nintendo games have that kind of predatory DLC model? If they haven't done it yet, why would they start with their friendliest series?

Mobile games have no purpose but to suck time and money so I'm only talking about console releases.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have any first party Nintendo console games had mtx bullshit in them yet?

I feel like they haven't and that everyone is panicking over absolutely nothing, but I could be mistaken!

E:fb

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have any first party Nintendo console games had mtx bullshit in them yet?

I feel like they haven't and that everyone is panicking over absolutely nothing, but I could be mistaken!

Luigi Mansion 3 has some DLC...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

glassyalabolas posted:

Luigi Mansion 3 has some DLC...

Is it lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit or is it Actual Content?

DLC =/= lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Animal Crossing has had DLC before and I'd argue the way they distributed it was far worse than the current means of just buying the content.

Happy Home Designer had a number of special sets (that were later added into New Leaf) that you could only access through very specific time gated methods that were sometimes offered exclusively through real world physical means, whether it was using Spot Pass, Nintendo Zone, or going to an actual Japanese 7-11 just to name a few examples. New Leaf had villagers you could only get by purchasing an Amiibo card like the 6 Sanrio villagers or all of RV villagers they introduced with Welcome Amiibo (which is why I'm happy Hopkins, an RV Villager I paid cash for, is now part of New Horizons base game) or a regular Amiibo like Wolf Link. I think tying unique DLC exclusively to a time-limited or print-limited means is awful and having to pay $24 for a single used Sanrio villager card before S&H is much worse than any DLC scheme EA has done with The Sims.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What Nintendo games have that kind of predatory DLC model? If they haven't done it yet, why would they start with their friendliest series?

Mobile games have no purpose but to suck time and money so I'm only talking about console releases.

amiibos, smash, botw, fire emblem. you can say you dont count the mobile games because mobile but even for mobile titles theyre agressively bad compared to a lot of others. its a toss up though because on the other hand the free updates theyve done for mario odyssey and mario maker 2 have been really wonderful, the pokemon dlc while not great is at least a step up from just releasing the game a second time at full price i guess. i think as a platform holder who is selling hardware as well as getting paid on all software purchases and who really hate sales, the least they can do is just not with the dlc at all and have some restraint with it and realise maybe you should just be adding value to your platform as a whole rather than chasing dlc money. they do this well enough for some of their titles (seriously the mario maker 2 free dlc has been ridiculously good, better than a lot of their paid dlc) so hopefully AC is one of those as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thankfully Nintendo's attempts in the mobile space has largely been unsuccessful from a financial perspective, as far as I know. Some of their games are even banned in one or two countries. So the hope is that Nintendo won't try to replicate that, but the concern is still there and totally valid until we see otherwise.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

amiibo are ftw

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stux posted:

amiibos, smash, botw, fire emblem. you can say you dont count the mobile games because mobile but even for mobile titles theyre agressively bad compared to a lot of others. its a toss up though because on the other hand the free updates theyve done for mario odyssey and mario maker 2 have been really wonderful, the pokemon dlc while not great is at least a step up from just releasing the game a second time at full price i guess. i think as a platform holder who is selling hardware as well as getting paid on all software purchases and who really hate sales, the least they can do is just not with the dlc at all and have some restraint with it and realise maybe you should just be adding value to your platform as a whole rather than chasing dlc money. they do this well enough for some of their titles (seriously the mario maker 2 free dlc has been ridiculously good, better than a lot of their paid dlc) so hopefully AC is one of those as well.
I said what games have predatory DLC pricing/options, nothing in your list is that.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is it lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit or is it Actual Content?

DLC =/= lootbox gambling energy bar timer skip bullshit
This is what I mean. An Amiibo is a figure that also sometimes unlocks some bonus stuff but nobody is getting nickel and dimed off of or impulse buying Amiibo for their in-game uses. People that collect them do so for the figures themselves and rarely even take them out of the box to use them.

Smash's DLC includes a stupid amount of content for a fair price. Terry alone is worth the entire price of the Fighter's Pass. BotW and FE also offer season passes and offer a good amount of content for the price. There's no spending 5 bucks to get a chance at a sweet sword in BotW or buying individual unit packs for FE or any of that. None of that bad practice leaves the mobile world so why is anyone worried about it coming to mainline games?

Also some of the Mobile games are developed by outside teams, aren't they? I know Pocket Camp and FE Heroes have some garbage rates but Dragalia Lost is very fair and that's probably as much CyGames as it is Nintendo. Either way, again, mobile doesn't matter until there is evidence they have affected the console games in any way.

Of course it'd be nice if there's no DLC at all, I'm happy with free content drops, but if there is DLC I have faith it will be fair and worth the money for what it adds to the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tom Nook for president to be honest.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

On top of owning all the AC Amiibo, I've got a couple hundred blank nfc stickers ready to go. I'll hook you folks up with favourite neighbours. There, already found an excuse for an extra island on my old Switch.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Yes to DLC but only if you can haggle for it with Rusty.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I've only played a little bit of New Leaf but I'm considering picking this up to play with my wife. Can anyone explain to basically a newcomer how multiplayer works in this game? Presumably you can each have a house on your island, but is there going to be any way to play simultaneously on a single Switch or will we have to alternate playing?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've only played a little bit of New Leaf but I'm considering picking this up to play with my wife. Can anyone explain to basically a newcomer how multiplayer works in this game? Presumably you can each have a house on your island, but is there going to be any way to play simultaneously on a single Switch or will we have to alternate playing?

The back of the box suggests it's going to be simultaneous local multiplayer for up to 4 people on a single switch.

I don't think it's been shown how that'll work as in whether it'll be split screen or lock you together at a certain distance or what, but then I haven't been obsessively watching everything that comes out about it to try and keep my hype in check so it might have been shown already.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I said what games have predatory DLC pricing/options, nothing in your list is that.

This is what I mean. An Amiibo is a figure that also sometimes unlocks some bonus stuff but nobody is getting nickel and dimed off of or impulse buying Amiibo for their in-game uses. People that collect them do so for the figures themselves and rarely even take them out of the box to use them.

Smash's DLC includes a stupid amount of content for a fair price. Terry alone is worth the entire price of the Fighter's Pass. BotW and FE also offer season passes and offer a good amount of content for the price. There's no spending 5 bucks to get a chance at a sweet sword in BotW or buying individual unit packs for FE or any of that. None of that bad practice leaves the mobile world so why is anyone worried about it coming to mainline games?

Also some of the Mobile games are developed by outside teams, aren't they? I know Pocket Camp and FE Heroes have some garbage rates but Dragalia Lost is very fair and that's probably as much CyGames as it is Nintendo. Either way, again, mobile doesn't matter until there is evidence they have affected the console games in any way.

Of course it'd be nice if there's no DLC at all, I'm happy with free content drops, but if there is DLC I have faith it will be fair and worth the money for what it adds to the game.

i strongly disagree that smash, botw and fe passes are anywhere close to good value for the money, and feel that is especially true when its contrasted by the free updates in their own games, and given that theyre first party and that i think that platform holders like nintendo, sony and ms should really never be adding paid dlc into anything. they should be incentivised to support their games enough by the fact that driving interest and platform sales directly benefits them. also botw especially putting hero mode behind dlc really left a bad impression. heck the dlc in general in all of those cases would at least not feel as bad if i knew well hey i can probably pick up the base game very cheaply in a year or two, or hey ill probably get that from the monthly sub right, but when i know im probably going to have to pay full price even for older first party games, adding stuff on to try and make those £60 purchases £90 really sucks no matter who is doing it.

people do buy amiibos just for the in game stuff and sometimes that is off impulse. thats by design, otherwise there would be no reason to include it as there is already a market for just high quality figures.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Smash is 100% worth the money and I think there's some crazy hoops you have to leap through to say 5 brand new fighting game characters, stages, and 100+ new songs aren't worth 25 dollars.

Like Three Houses I have no comment on as I haven't bought it and BotW's burned a lot of people but lol at the smash comment being up there.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

amiibos are dumb toys for babby but at least they're all usable in every game that includes amiibo functionality. they'd only be "like" dlc if a given amiibo could only be used in a single game and once you used it, the game locked that figurine and you literally couldn't ever use it again or re-use it with your friends or whatever

anyway i am mega-jazzed new horizons is on the horizon because i think i could get my wife and my daughter to play this with me on the couch dadgoals++

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Biggest question is if the crossover characters are getting culled or if you can still get the Zelda crew and Splatoon Squirrels

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Smash is 100% worth the money and I think there's some crazy hoops you have to leap through to say 5 brand new fighting game characters, stages, and 100+ new songs aren't worth 25 dollars.

Like Three Houses I have no comment on as I haven't bought it and BotW's burned a lot of people but lol at the smash comment being up there.

i dont think any fighting game should put new characters into dlc and i think its just as bad in other fighters when they do it as well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

did we see rosie yet. she wasnt in the released pics... wheres rosie...

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stux posted:

i strongly disagree that smash, botw and fe passes are anywhere close to good value for the money, and feel that is especially true when its contrasted by the free updates in their own games, and given that theyre first party and that i think that platform holders like nintendo, sony and ms should really never be adding paid dlc into anything. they should be incentivised to support their games enough by the fact that driving interest and platform sales directly benefits them. also botw especially putting hero mode behind dlc really left a bad impression. heck the dlc in general in all of those cases would at least not feel as bad if i knew well hey i can probably pick up the base game very cheaply in a year or two, or hey ill probably get that from the monthly sub right, but when i know im probably going to have to pay full price even for older first party games, adding stuff on to try and make those £60 purchases £90 really sucks no matter who is doing it.

people do buy amiibos just for the in game stuff and sometimes that is off impulse. thats by design, otherwise there would be no reason to include it as there is already a market for just high quality figures.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree then because what we consider to be a good value is just too different. Not wanting first party games to have DLC is a nice thought but wildly and unreasonably optimistic given how modern gamers have come to expect an almost "games as a service" level of post-release content from almost every major new game and studios are all too happy to oblige in most cases.

I also would like to know what you're referring to with regards to free updates being as substantial as paid DLC. Odyssey did the Luigi Balloon Hunt thing which was fine but not nearly as impressive as any of the season pass stuff mentioned before. It's not like they've added new worlds or moons for free. Only the Mario Maker update seems anywhere close and even that just makes sense since that's one player base they do not want to fracture since that game lives and dies by the ability to make and play any level.

People are impulse buying Amiibo to get access to... what? Mario Kart 8 Mii costumes? Amiibo are a minor attempt at the toys to life thing with minor game interaction but I know of absolutely nothing substantial that they add to any game except maybe Hard Mode in Samus Returns which is admittedly bad but one exception does not change the rest.

EDIT: Maybe Kirby's updates could be considered paid DLC level but that to me seems less like generous content additions and more like fixing a game that was released too early.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Stux posted:

She's in one of the Nintendo Directs that talked about New Horizons.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Stux posted:

she's paid DLC

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Biggest question is if the crossover characters are getting culled or if you can still get the Zelda crew and Splatoon Squirrels

I hope they come back and add in even more.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree then because what we consider to be a good value is just too different. Not wanting first party games to have DLC is a nice thought but wildly and unreasonably optimistic given how modern gamers have come to expect an almost "games as a service" level of post-release content from almost every major new game and studios are all too happy to oblige in most cases.

I also would like to know what you're referring to with regards to free updates being as substantial as paid DLC. Odyssey did the Luigi Balloon Hunt thing which was fine but not nearly as impressive as any of the season pass stuff mentioned before. It's not like they've added new worlds or moons for free. Only the Mario Maker update seems anywhere close and even that just makes sense since that's one player base they do not want to fracture since that game lives and dies by the ability to make and play any level.

People are impulse buying Amiibo to get access to... what? Mario Kart 8 Mii costumes? Amiibo are a minor attempt at the toys to life thing with minor game interaction but I know of absolutely nothing substantial that they add to any game except maybe Hard Mode in Samus Returns which is admittedly bad but one exception does not change the rest.

EDIT: Maybe Kirby's updates could be considered paid DLC level but that to me seems less like generous content additions and more like fixing a game that was released too early.

well i feel like its not that optimistic. ms is awful at it, but sony is pretty solid at just, not really doing dlc for most things. thats not to say never (spiderman) but stuff like god of war has nothing at all, and games like days gone just get free dlc. the only notable stuff they do do more regularly is 8ish hour standalones which is much more palatable even if i still dont think its great. and the frustrating part is nintendo is sometimes good at it and sometimes not! i mightt have a blind spot here though and be missing some really awful examples from them tho and in that case welp lol

mario maker 2 is the absolute standout and they couldve really really easily just said you cant use the new stuff to make levels unless you buy it, and the amount of free support theyve given it matches what is paid in their other games and by itself makes everything else seem really bad. even the luigi balloon hunt + all the new outfits is basically the same tier as some of what they put in a "wave" or two of a "season pass" but for nothing. and yeah the kirby stuff, even if its result was doing that they absolutely couldve still just thrown it into a pass. but its free. so its weird because nintendo keep hopping back and forth on it.

people do, its dumb because its insanely minor stuff but people really do go buy them just to get it. people pirate the nfc stuff just to get the extra content and its all stuff that... i dont see why its not just in the game? the only reason to put stuff on the amiibos is to get more people to buy them, because you get little digital stuff with them. theyre not doing it if there isnt a solid financial incentive for it.

but i feel like yeah we probably just wont agree on this. im happy to leave this here so we dont keep spamming up the thread with it because we probably wont get any further. if you wanna respond to anything just to refute or respond so its not like im saying this to just get the last word in or anything gross before agreeing to drop it thats cool and i wont slide back in or anything.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

She's in one of the Nintendo Directs that talked about New Horizons.

ahh i usually dont watch any of those so thats why i missed it!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If Nintendo doesn't sell us an extra piece of hardware (which we plug into another piece of hardware to hook up to the Switch) that scans e-reader cards or amiibos or just takes samples of your stool, we should consider ourselves lucky.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
We had lootboxes for Animal Crossing back in 2002 when the only way to get some of the NES games at the time were through e-Reader cards.

But they never even came out with the cards for Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda. In fact the game's password system was created in such a way that you could get basically any item be it furniture or whatever from a password EXCEPT for those specific e-Reader card games.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Viewtiful Jew posted:

We had lootboxes for Animal Crossing back in 2002 when the only way to get some of the NES games at the time were through e-Reader cards.

But they never even came out with the cards for Super Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda. In fact the game's password system was created in such a way that you could get basically any item be it furniture or whatever from a password EXCEPT for those specific e-Reader card games.

i don't know how long it took after AC came out, but i would swear there were eventually hacked passwords you could enter that would let you play mario and zelda.

actually having the console games exist as house objects in AC is still one of the things that i miss from all the other iterations. since the switch just gives you NES and SNES games just for owning it, they should definitely incorporate them into new horizons so that my AC dude can play the games within AC itself

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know how long it took after AC came out, but i would swear there were eventually hacked passwords you could enter that would let you play mario and zelda.

nope. you can only get them through action replay.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1225543170093703174?s=20

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm pretty stoked for this. I thought about firing up new leaf but by the time this comes out I'll be too invested in that to play NH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

"Look we don't even know if Gamestop is even gonna still be a thing in a month or so."