Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

I guess my twink gear isn't as good as yours. Whats your full setup?

Grand Spectrum (Viridian) x3
40% Goldrim
Wanderlust / Wake of Destruction
Berek's Grip w/ Level 21 Wrath corruption
String of Servitude w/ 60% Wrath Effect
-8 Cost Praxis
Karui Ward w/ Diamond Skin anointment
15/15 Lochtonal Caress / Maligaro's
5L Briskwrap

If leveling bow:
50% 5L Storm Cloud
50% 6L Tempest
Hyrri's Bite

If leveling wands:
2x perfect rolled Storm Prisms

I roll like 7-8 characters a league so spending an ex or two on the whole setup is well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Vasudus posted:

Grand Spectrum (Viridian) x3
40% Goldrim
Wanderlust / Wake of Destruction
Berek's Grip w/ Level 21 Wrath corruption
String of Servitude w/ 60% Wrath Effect
-8 Cost Praxis
Karui Ward w/ Diamond Skin anointment
15/15 Lochtonal Caress / Maligaro's
5L Briskwrap

If leveling bow:
50% 5L Storm Cloud
50% 6L Tempest
Hyrri's Bite

If leveling wands:
2x perfect rolled Storm Prisms

I roll like 7-8 characters a league so spending an ex or two on the whole setup is well worth it.

Cool, thats basically a similar setup that i came up with. I don't have the Grand Spectrums, and instead have resist / life jewels, because i was having trouble coming up with resists. I use a tabula and a metallic/scorched glove. Berek's grip is a good choice too - how easy are those to find on trade early in the league?

I like the diamond skin anointment, i was trying to figure out what the best anoint was. I've been using Soul Raker but its pretty expensive. Bereks + diamond skin would help out with some of the resist problems i was having.

What flasks do you use? just 3x quicksilver, life and mana?

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

Cool, thats basically a similar setup that i came up with. I don't have the Grand Spectrums, and instead have resist / life jewels, because i was having trouble coming up with resists. I use a tabula and a metallic/scorched glove. Berek's grip is a good choice too - how easy are those to find on trade early in the league?

I like the diamond skin anointment, i was trying to figure out what the best anoint was. I've been using Soul Raker but its pretty expensive. Bereks + diamond skin would help out with some of the resist problems i was having.

Grips are generally easy to find for cheap since they're the "bad" Berek ring. I think I paid 8c for mine corrupted on the second weekend of the league. But realistically you can use any ring so long as it doesn't have a level requirement over 36, which is the minimum character level requirement for the corruption.

I use two quicksilvers, a diamond, and two life flasks when leveling. I use a mana flask instead of a life flask until I get mana costs under control later on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How does a bleed bow gladiator get enough leech or regen to not die all the time ?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

How does a bleed bow gladiator get enough leech or regen to not die all the time ?

Brutality, Chance to Bleed and Vicious Projectiles still scale your direct damage, together with the beefy phys dps bow you want thats enough to usually cap your leech.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think I might have to skip the next league. Not because I'm bored, but because I want to start building other kinds of characters and the prospect of doing that without my stash full of unique/currency and unlocked crafting recipes is a lot less appealing. A few months just isn't long enough. I don't want to throw all my stuff in the bin! I guess I understand now why Standard Mode exists.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just do it again. Faster this time.

It's the natural order of things.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I think I might have to skip the next league. Not because I'm bored, but because I want to start building other kinds of characters and the prospect of doing that without my stash full of unique/currency and unlocked crafting recipes is a lot less appealing. A few months just isn't long enough. I don't want to throw all my stuff in the bin! I guess I understand now why Standard Mode exists.
You don't need to be rich to try something new. I typically try not to repeat builds, and I will always try something I am unfamiliar with every league. Not only does it keep the game interesting, it also helps widen my understanding of game mechanics and item value.

For a lot of us the progression is the fun part. It is the process of clawing your way to success that is interesting. Once you are blinged out and have done everything in a league, things can get stale. Why play when you've already reached the top?

Personally I always give my stuff away when I am done with a league. Honestly though, handouts are a curse more than they are a gift. I am not sure I am really doing the lucky people any favors.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 7, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Monkey posted:

You don't need to be rich to try something new. I typically try not to repeat builds, and I will always try something I am unfamiliar with every league. Not only does it keep the game interesting, it also helps widen my understanding of game mechanics and item value.

I'm really not interested in trading, I want to build stuff using the uniques I've already found. I was looking over the Solo Self-Found ladder and it's perfectly doable with lots of different builds. I think its more interesting that way. If I trade than the most optimum builds will always be pre-made for me, but if I only use my own items I have to make my builds myself.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
There's nothing wrong with skipping leagues, and I personally think that playing every other league strikes a very good balance of being able to deal with the game's bullshit.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If I have 0-cost cyclone due to the minus cost chest, can I use it with Devouring Diadem + Mind over Matter to get an eternally recharging ES buffer that takes 30% of my damage?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there any reason to hang on to the millions of various skill gems I turn up while leveling? Anything that the act VI lady doesn't sell? What's the best way to sell them?

Also, what's the easiest way to get chaos orbs? I don't mean farming strategies, I mean what currency is best to trade for them

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If they’re not level 20 or have quality you should just delete skill gems you’re not likely to use.

Check the bulk item exchange tab on the trade website and you can see what people will buy your other currency for in terms of chaos orbs. Poe.ninja also shows general currency prices relative to chaos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm still working my way up (and I'm already itching to re-roll :ohdear: ) but do chaos orbs drop commonly in maps and such or am I always going to be trading for them. I think I've seen literally two drop in acts I - VI

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm still working my way up (and I'm already itching to re-roll :ohdear: ) but do chaos orbs drop commonly in maps and such or am I always going to be trading for them. I think I've seen literally two drop in acts I - VI

I'd ballpark maybe 5% of my income is from raw chaos drops.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zoux posted:

This comes up so much that I wish there were giant neon letters in the OP saying: You can do the entire story Acts 1-10 basically butt-rear end naked, so do not stress about gearing until you beat Kitava.

The longer version is: Anything you dick around with for gearing is gonna last like 2 seconds when you hit maps, so it's all wasted time/effort/currency. I don't think I've ever been at a point where trying to trade up to chaos on the exchange has ever made sense. It's far easier and more consistent to just kill poo poo and even get a few lovely drops worth 5-10c (which happen A LOT) and just sell those. Like, you'll be drowning in chaos super fast.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

zoux posted:

The answer is both. They drop commonly enough (1-2 per map, independent of metamorphs, assuming decent quant on the map) but you'll also always be needing them for trading.

My most common source of acquiring chaos orbs is trading my fusings for them. Which I get by buying from the vendors with my jewelers. That I get from vendoring 6S items. It's the PoE minimum wage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, mediocre, but usable gear is always dirt cheap and crafting for RNG is dogshit and you shouldn't count on that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this the most complicated ARPG of all time? Don’t get me wrong I love it because of the depth but I don’t recall D3 being like this

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey bitches

xoxo love all y'all

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zoux posted:

Is this the most complicated ARPG of all time? Don’t get me wrong I love it because of the depth but I don’t recall D3 being like this

It's in the top half, but what you are describing is more attributable to D3 being deliberately dumbed down.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

zoux posted:

I would say yes, only because it's got a lot of different things going on at once. You've got tons of character customization, gear customization, etc. on top of the game economy which is in itself its own thing. It's got a real steep learning curve because you've basically got to drink from the fire hose if you don't have a place to ask questions. It takes a long, long time to get a full grip on all of the game systems *and* the metagame behind it that drives the economy.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

zoux posted:

It’s most likely is the diablo clone with the biggest variety of mechanical systems, possible builds, and loot piñata variations out there. But you get used to it quickly, you deal with a big chunk of post campaign content by capping resists, getting high flat life on all of your rare gear as much increased life from passive tree, and getting a 5 link for you primary killing skill, and you’re more or less set for tier 1 through 10 maps (out of 16). Oh and do the labyrinth and get your ascendancy if you haven’t.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 7, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, I never entirely got used to it.

I still see unique items and learn of interactions to this day that I had no idea. You can probably master all of D3's mechanics interactions and stuff in one season.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 7, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ConfusedPig posted:

It’s most likely is the diablo clone with the biggest variety of mechanical systems, possible builds, and loot piñata variations out there. But you get used to it quickly, you deal with a big chunk of post campaign content by capping resists, getting high flat life on all of your rare gear as much increased life from passive tree, and getting a 5 link for you primary killing skill, and you’re more or less set for tier 1 through 10 maps (out of 16). Oh and do the labyrinth and get your ascendancy if you haven’t.

Yeah I got that, got my Tabula Rasa in the same run too :smaug:

Is Delving an endgame-only thing, I got a quest for that in the act but I also get world first notifications for someone delving to 25000 or whatever.

Vasudus posted:

It's got a real steep learning curve

Yeah I think this is my third try at getting into it and really was only able to because I just blindly followed a build guide

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Is Delving an endgame-only thing, I got a quest for that in the act but I also get world first notifications for someone delving to 25000 or whatever.

Yeah I think this is my third try at getting into it and really was only able to because I just blindly followed a build guide

You'll be blindly following a guide for a long while. I mean, you can not do that, but the result will likely be failure.

You can theoretically start Delving very early but it's kinda pointless.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
New/revised uniques and crafting changes (in conjunction with character tree changes) every league also open/close different build opportunities too. So even if you've been playing as long as someone like me, getting close to 10k hours, you still have to stay on top of things every time. I really like that fact because doing new takes on old builds is neat, and if I'm lucky enough to see something before the overall market I can get something cool for cheap and/or build a niche for myself.

The game has plenty of warts and plenty to complain about, but at least it's deep enough that you can stay engaged with it despite that.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

zoux posted:

Delve is in truth a post campaign thing so don’t worry about it, the quest for it is just a tutorial, there isn’t an important reward for the quest itself. If you delve, you delve to around 300 to 600, maybe more, depending on you build. Deeper you go the more rewarding it is, but the insane multi thousand depths are reached with crazy min maxed builds with max killing power, max evasion and dodge, and ignoring life and damage mitigation completely since everything one-shots you at that depth no matter what.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vasudus posted:

New/revised uniques and crafting changes (in conjunction with character tree changes) every league also open/close different build opportunities too. So even if you've been playing as long as someone like me, getting close to 10k hours, you still have to stay on top of things every time. I really like that fact because doing new takes on old builds is neat, and if I'm lucky enough to see something before the overall market I can get something cool for cheap and/or build a niche for myself.

The game has plenty of warts and plenty to complain about, but at least it's deep enough that you can stay engaged with it despite that.

I watched the first part of a lecture Chris Wilson did at GDC about designing the game to last "forever" and I was pretty intrigued by that idea, since mostly studios expect a limited lifespan to a game and then they launch a sequel. One of the interesting things he talks about in there is that they want every player who quits to have a plan about when they're coming back. As they see it, the league system allows people to quit before they get burnt out and know that in a few weeks they can get right back into it on a level playing field with everyone else. Too many games today incentivize logging in every single day or you feel like you're falling behind, and that model starts to feel exploitative and you start looking at the game as a grind and then it's over. So designing a game with the idea that your players can quit and come back, or just play for a little while, it stands out in the current market.

I was playing Grim Dawn before this, and it was a lot of fun, but once I realized the whole game was just running the campaign over and over with different classes forever, it just sucked out my will to keep on going. In that video he talks about how he and his friends spent literal thousands of hours on D2, but none of the other many RPGs grabbed them like that, so they tried to make a game that people will want to and can play for thousands of hours and that's just a really refreshing development perspective. I know devs are all evil and eventually the user base turns on them, idk if that's happened for the long time vets here, but GGG seems like a good shop from where I'm sitting.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Many thanks to the goon who was done with the league and gifted me almost 100ex in gear, including a Savior, 480dps foil, Impale Watchers Eye, Elusive + Tailwind boots, and Bottled Faith.

As someone who usually makes like 20ex a league, I feel like I am playing another game entirely.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

I watched the first part of a lecture Chris Wilson did at GDC about designing the game to last "forever" and I was pretty intrigued by that idea, since mostly studios expect a limited lifespan to a game and then they launch a sequel. One of the interesting things he talks about in there is that they want every player who quits to have a plan about when they're coming back. As they see it, the league system allows people to quit before they get burnt out and know that in a few weeks they can get right back into it on a level playing field with everyone else. Too many games today incentivize logging in every single day or you feel like you're falling behind, and that model starts to feel exploitative and you start looking at the game as a grind and then it's over. So designing a game with the idea that your players can quit and come back, or just play for a little while, it stands out in the current market.

I was playing Grim Dawn before this, and it was a lot of fun, but once I realized the whole game was just running the campaign over and over with different classes forever, it just sucked out my will to keep on going. In that video he talks about how he and his friends spent literal thousands of hours on D2, but none of the other many RPGs grabbed them like that, so they tried to make a game that people will want to and can play for thousands of hours and that's just a really refreshing development perspective. I know devs are all evil and eventually the user base turns on them, idk if that's happened for the long time vets here, but GGG seems like a good shop from where I'm sitting.

I've been playing since either the alpha or beta, I don't remember which, probably beta. I can't like speak for others but Chris is one of my favorite devs and his GDC lecture is by far my favorite GDC lecture because of just how forward it is. It's super blunt and I love it.

I don't play every league, I think I play every other league, but yeah compared to D3 where nothing happens it's super interesting to see new things going on.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

zoux posted:

Basically yeah. My cycle is to go really hard on the game for the first week, then play it every day after work / on weekends when possible until about week 6, then drop off until the next league. I've been doing this for years and the game is just as fresh when the next league starts up.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

zoux posted:

The Devs are generally well liked, the state of the game tends towards improving on average with the updates.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Don't forget a full set of unid yellow gear vendors for 2 chaos orbs.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elentor posted:

Hey bitches

xoxo love all y'all

Congrats! Post your build!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

poemdexter posted:

Don't forget a full set of unid yellow gear vendors for 2 chaos orbs.

And if it's all over ilvl 75, you get regal orbs :D

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

And if it's all over ilvl 75, you get regal orbs :D

More precisely it has to be between 60 and 75, below 60 you get chance orbs.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

poemdexter posted:

It's a necromancer, getting to 100 is just an exercise in patience and determination more than skill :smugdog:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poemdexter posted:

Thanks!

https://pastebin.com/sg5UFc8H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja