Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
3 days to footy!

AFLW season opener Blues v Tigers at 7:45pm on Friday.

First time Carlton will be playing the Tigers at Princes Park since 1997.

Don't forget to get your tips in for the SAS Tipsquad AFLW goon tipping competition.
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips
pw: goons

And here is a fan made layout for the season fixture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/WestCoastEagles/status/1224884593028812800?s=19

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
And here I was thinking they’d struggle to make it worse

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Is that the dude from Karnivool/Birds of Tokyo doing the singing?

I kinda like how they just went and changed it outright, compared to how Fremantle tried to change their song using fan engagement a few years ago and just ended up in a New Zealand flag referendum situation instead

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Dude from Birds of Tokyo still sticking with his “put people to sleep with my voice” no energy brand of singing it seems

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It’s really bad but no worse than the previous one

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Learnt nothing from the BIG BIG SOUND

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

My freaking ears

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Wow, they purposly downgraded their themesong to below Freo and the Suns. Good job weagles.

https://twitter.com/tom_king79/status/1224884276254011392

I think I know how they could have fixed this... I mean, Brad Scott isn't employed by North Melbourne anymore anyway...

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

Wow, they purposly downgraded their themesong to below Freo and the Suns. Good job weagles.

https://twitter.com/tom_king79/status/1224884276254011392

I think I know how they could have fixed this... I mean, Brad Scott isn't employed by North Melbourne anymore anyway...

Why even bother with a body double? Its not like it makes photoshopping Scott in any easier and you can get the lighting off dangerwood there.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Is......is it back?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
For the Crows AFLW team, Sophie Li has failed the concussion test, and Courtney Cramey is out with groin soreness, so the Crows are now almost entirely out of players, with only 22 fit players on the list.

Ironically, the one player to miss out is our first round pick from last year, Montana McKinnon. McKinnon only misses out because she's a ruck and our lead ruck in Jess Foley is playing. Every other one of our recruits from last year is scheduled to debut. The Crows have promoted two ladies from the state league to be the other two emergencies, namely Czenya Cavouras, and Rachelle Martin who is the younger sister of premiership player Hannah Button (nee Martin) from last year. That's six debutants (Najwa Allen, Chelsea Biddell, Nicole Campbell, Madison Newman, Jaimie Tabb and Caitlyn Gould) as well as Courtney Gum playing her first game at the Crows, or a third of the side pulling on the Crows guernsey for the first time.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 7, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pretty astounding that coming into round 1 two teams are struggling to field enough players

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sure, it could be reduced list sizes, lack of resourcing, not being a viable professional career pathway, and a whole lot of other factors

Or maybe it’s :biotruths:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Scratch that, apparently the Crows have only 21 fit players with McKinnon having knee soreness too. So yes, we are literally fielding every fit player on the list.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Or maybe it’s :biotruths:

Men just want it more

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
footy footy footy footy

Just got home, time for a cold shower, humid as gently caress in melbourne, meal then off to Princes Park. Going to be a big one.

Info for tonight:

Broadcast: Kayo, Fox Footy, Channel 7 and 7mate from 6:30pm
Streaming: You can also watch all of the action live via womens.afl and the AFLW Official App.
Radio: ABC 774 & ABC Melbourne Radio Digital, AFL Nation (via aflw website/match centre), SEN 1116

And remember, get your footy tips in!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

footy footy footy footy

I had my first footy training of the year last weekend, it starts again.

quote:

Just got home, time for a cold shower, humid as gently caress in melbourne

Only 22 degrees out though? Before the traditional break up this way we play in 30 degrees plus and even more humid. It’s awful but good training.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pretty sure Richmond are the quickest side to concede their first score in AFLW history

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for Razor Ray to do the lasso.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ah, there's the Richmond we know and love.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

monolithburger posted:

Ah, there's the Richmond we know and love.

There is a strange sort of comfort in watching this.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Especially since Katie Brennan turned heel and left the bulldogs to join them

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Yeah certainly not hatnig watching richmond eat poo poo

Tempered by the fact that carlton are winning

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Geez, that turned into a bit of a blowout at the end. Only saw the first half where Carlton were dominating but not putting it on the scoreboard.

Richmond were expected to be the best of the expansion sides, right?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sort of. They got the 'best' pickups aka 2-3 stars, but then a lot of recycled players dropped from other clubs.

It was a decent game, richmond were obviously well behind carlton in terms of skills in the first half but things started to gel. Their backline seems solid, until the third quarter when Carlton finally kicked into gear, the tigers were rushing a lot of our shots on goal.

Katie Brennan was also playing hurt for the second half apparently.

Speaking of injuries, Andy Maher might miss a week or two, a shame.
https://twitter.com/frankiezammit/status/1225721560532578305

Good on him anyway, he is probably the biggest fan our womens side has and loves talking about them on the carlton show podcast or his radio show whenever he can.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/557553/mic-d-up-andy-maher?videoId=557553&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1580194191001

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drunkill posted:

Katie Brennan was also playing hurt for the second half apparently.

What a shock

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
This Gold Coast vs GWS game is pretty nuts. Pouring with rain, score was 9 v 8 (GWS's way) at three quarter time, and with only four minutes left to go in the final quarter it's still 9 v 8. Just a non-stop, mad scramble for the ball.

And GWS end up winning it 9 v 8! Don't think I've ever seen a scoreless quarter before from both sides, hah.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 8, 2020

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What is the reason for women's games being so low scoring? Do they play a different style? Admittedly I haven't seen much of it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snoremac posted:

What is the reason for women's games being so low scoring? Do they play a different style? Admittedly I haven't seen much of it.

Shorter quarters contributes, but also a lower combined level of skill across the field than the men's teams due to the elite pathways being only brand new, so most current players came straight from amateur leagues. Means more scramble, less precision passing, which is what the amateur level is for both men and women.

Most AFL players come out of the AFL run junior competitions like the TAC Cup, or the AIS, which are pretty much professional in everything but player salaries from age 12 onwards, and have been for at least 20 years.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 8, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also, shorter kicks in general, due in part to a slightly smaller ball (I think?) So it takes more disposals to get into scoring position.

Also, lower quality ovals which are more dramatically affected by poor weather.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
I’m at Casey Fields at the moment. It is very windy. At three-quarter time, only one score (a behind) has been kicked at one end of the ground.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Also keep in mind that when the players were concentrated into 2-4 teams there was enough quality to make the games higher scoring. Expansion has meant we have like 4 Gold Coasts being fielded.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rajcic putting in a real deer in the headlights performance today

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Its amazing that we are into year 4 and the brains trust coke addicts at AFLHQ havent fixed the fact that 50m is a ridiculous penalty in AFLW

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Rajcic putting in a real deer in the headlights performance today

She was fumbly in ways she hasn't been in the past, yeah.

I thought Rachelle Martin really showed something, considering she only got a game because we literally can't field a side. It's a shame we won't be able to select her anymore if our injury list improves (which, surely it has to right?) but I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up getting drafted on that performance. She was about the only player in our side who was clean below her knees.

Crows had a real lack of composure in the game. I guess losing all of those experienced players hurts pretty badly.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Its amazing that we are into year 4 and the brains trust coke addicts at AFLHQ havent fixed the fact that 50m is a ridiculous penalty in AFLW

Yes, seriously. It's infuriating when it takes the player from the 50m arc to the goal square, when you know it would have taken two disposals at least to get there in general play. 30m feels about right.

Also, I know I harp on this every year, but I loving hate the lasso rule, or whatever they're calling it now. It's a ridiculous penalty, especially in scrappy wet games like today, to have a free kick paid against you because you tried to make the play, and the ball ended up eluding your target and skidding out of bounds. Or someone going into the contest, emerging with a little handball or something, and having it dribble over the line for a free kick. Great reward for getting the ball out! And we also had the old classic situation today of players who could get the ball, choosing not to do so and instead shepherding their opponents off the ball so it could go out of bounds. It's an absolute shocker.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 8, 2020

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Sainterssssssss!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ah gently caress that felt good. Footy is cool and good.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Shorter quarters contributes, but also a lower combined level of skill across the field than the men's teams due to the elite pathways being only brand new, so most current players came straight from amateur leagues. Means more scramble, less precision passing, which is what the amateur level is for both men and women.

Most AFL players come out of the AFL run junior competitions like the TAC Cup, or the AIS, which are pretty much professional in everything but player salaries from age 12 onwards, and have been for at least 20 years.

I would genuinely like to know if the smaller ball contributes.

Having now watched it live the biggest takeaway for me is a large portion of the players have "adult learned skills" where its just not as natural to do a lot of things. Basically it reminds me a lot of my own skills playing footy as I came to playing really late, in my 20s. This is going to change considerably once you have a lot more women come through who have played since juniors all the way through.

Saints vs Doggies game was good, particularly the last quarter even though it was all done and dusted by half time.

When are they going to increase the quarters to something reasonable? I run out 25min set quarters all the time in the ammos and I am not nearly as fit as most of these women players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
smaller ball is also a little harder to bounce too as it has less weight.

Freo v Cats is game of the round. freo 4.8 44 cats 4.4 28

About to end. Duffy kicking 4 goals. A few of the other matches were very windy or wet, this has been in good conditions.

Looking forward to round 2 already.