Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Roth posted:

The bald sweaty guys from Star Trek 09?

yeah thats all you need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Seems good to me go for it Roth tell us what you think

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For real though, I'm already working my way through TNG.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

So is this a good first Star Trek series to watch?

Serious post: Picard is kind of swimming in baggage from key episodes of The Next Generation, Voyager, and the TNG movies, primarily Generations, First Contact and especially Nemesis. It is glorious fanservice for boomers who spent their 40s watching TNG and their millennial kids who watched it in their childhood years.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I've only watched the first episode. Have they at all mentioned yet that Data already had a daughter? This type of thing doesn't usually bother me but for some reason it did here.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

i think hes probably fine as long as you have a strong editor/show runner to put him in his place.

also don't give him the opportunity to kill off a woman character unless you already wanted that character killed off because boy howdy does he love writing about women getting murdered

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
rip dax

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

dax was berman's fault

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that was the most spiteful poo poo

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm watching episode 2 again

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raskolnikov38 posted:

dax was berman's fault

dax being killed was berman's fault but the writers didn't have to write her off like that. she could have gone down swinging but instead she just got randomly ganked by magical space hitler. hosed up.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

dax being killed was berman's fault but the writers didn't have to write her off like that. she could have gone down swinging but instead she just got randomly ganked by magical space hitler. hosed up.

i thought dax being killed was because she quit to go make smooching with Ted Danson in Becker

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I finished watching. Old people talking was fine. Taking a Borg apart was cool.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

i thought dax being killed was because she quit to go make smooching with Ted Danson in Becker

no she wanted equal pay so berman shitcanned her and then she got hired for becker later

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

postin this berman video again because everyone should understand how fuckin horrible berman is as a human being and a showbiz idea haver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSz2gW8IsE

at least his career seems to be done for, after enterprise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Poopernickel posted:

Terry Farrell basically asked to be made a part-timer, i.e. being contracted for only something like 13 out of the 26 episodes. Rick Berman said "no, gently caress you", dug in his heels, and so she left. I actually can't remember if he demanded Dax be killed but either way it happened because Rick Berman is a huge rear end in a top hat.

What's loving wild* is how nobody liked the way Tasha Yar got written off the show, and then when it came time to write off Dax they pulled another Tasha Yar.

*terrible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ooooooohhhhhh, I get it. picard's irumodic syndrome has landed him in a federation medical facility and the events of STP are his insane ramblings.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i will say the one thing that kind of works in this show is the concept of the borg reclamation, even though its poorly handled. if we assume everything to do with picard (including the mars stuff) isn't real the show could maybe work.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

didn't the borg all explode at the end of voyager

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

didn't the borg all explode at the end of voyager

they are only mostly dead

you are teasing me that you are going somewhere, don't you do it. don't you break my heart again star trek: the picard show

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

no i mean didn't they all literally explode. like the transwarp hub, borg ships, even the cube that captured voyager in the tunnel, all exploded because of future janeway's mind virus

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

no i mean didn't they all literally explode. like the transwarp hub, borg ships, even the cube that captured voyager in the tunnel, all exploded because of future janeway's mind virus

Everything post-Voyager, canon or not, treats Janeway seemingly annihilating the Borg as simply putting a major, but not irrecoverable, dent in them. Because everybody wants to use the Borg as their baddie and Voyager ended very sloppily, so anything that cleans up that mess even a little is good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

blowing up all the borg after endless.y neutering them was probably the best thing voyager did

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

postin this berman video again because everyone should understand how fuckin horrible berman is as a human being and a showbiz idea haver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSz2gW8IsE

at least his career seems to be done for, after enterprise

I don't konw if this is in the 33 min. video but a lot of the DS9 producers credit Voyager with stealing the lidless gaze of the Eye of Berman (and Braga) which let them have a freer rein on their show. I believe Berman only OKed a two- or three- episode Dominion War arc but they just said gently caress it and did it for 3 seasons.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

there are so many cooler potential nicknames for picard than "JL"

-big p
-el capitan
-french

and so on

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm gonna watch more Picard today

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

reignofevil posted:

I'm gonna watch more Picard today

reported for self-harm

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Live watch starts now

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Why is ALL of the audio on cbs all access significantly quieter than any other show or video on the internet. Mike is right to be confused as to what peoples names are everyone sounds like they are mumbling at max volume.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Picard's nickname of JL makes me think he is the entire justice league.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Watching this I definitely know about lifelong slides into rage

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually have no problems with being on the ship thus far

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
no no no no get back on the ship get back on the ship

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I wanna see these big rear end laser guns shoot holes in people or at least phase them.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
the newssssssssssssss

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
oh no
we've reached the end of all

the destroyer

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Yay we're back in the shipppppppppp

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i missed talky space opera so badly

i also was super duper happy about the shot of the space ship warping out in a shot that evoked the closing poo poo of the tng opening theme sequence, w the tng music playing over it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

pacing is still an issue and that ship looks nothing like a trek ship. it looks like it was designed for being practical and cool instead of as a weird piece of art deco jewelry, like a federation ship should

but i liked that the frame of the show seems to be that society has failed its ideals and has fallen from kindness and consideration into baser impulses—but a buncha folks who embody the ideals as they should be, almost all of whom were actually in starfleet, are gonna fight for their principles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also its the most picard thing possible that he went from being like, well, the romulans are my strategic rivals and political foes and i might have to start a war w them if the situation demands it—to, wait, someone is oppressing the romulans?? THE ROMULANS ARE ENDURING INJUSTICE??? and immediately became the fiercest angriest advocate for romulan peoples