Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Man its already been a decade since the Abridged craze started.
DBZA and YGOA were the only ones I really could watch, and the latter one still is very entertaining. (Poor LittleKuriboh/Martin though. He has had it rough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Very few of the quality abridged series still exist. I am sad that PurpleEyesWTF stopped making videos but he was an insane one man show deal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DeafNote posted:

DBZA and YGOA were the only ones I really could watch, and the latter one still is very entertaining. (Poor LittleKuriboh/Martin though. He has had it rough)

yeah. i remember the pokemon one made me chuckle a few times and my friends still quote YGOA sometimes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look, when you make something as great as I'm At Soup you're allowed to realize that you've peaked and it's all downhill from there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sergeant Frog Abridged is goon-made and I was a big fan of that and the side ones they did like Bomberman Jetters and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The soup store was the peak of abridging, nothing before or after ever came close to that level of perfection.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
The Shortz were pretty much a miss for me, their style of humor really needs to be cut with story for me personally. I do hope the direction works out because it's felt like a lot of their attempts to branch out haven't really had the success they're looking for. I know they did a dub for an OVA but that came and went with little fanfare.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosume Shezaki posted:

The Shortz were pretty much a miss for me, their style of humor really needs to be cut with story for me personally. I do hope the direction works out because it's felt like a lot of their attempts to branch out haven't really had the success they're looking for. I know they did a dub for an OVA but that came and went with little fanfare.

Yeah, an I'm afraid that the majority of their fans - like, the casual YouTube watchers - probably aren't going to care if it's not traditional DBZA.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
LOL, loving traitors to abridgement everywhere. When's season 5 of YGOTAS coming man?

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, an I'm afraid that the majority of their fans - like, the casual YouTube watchers - probably aren't going to care if it's not traditional DBZA.

I really liked kaiser's dive into old cartoons that they piloted on four start bento, but apparently the time for research just wasn't there.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/end-of-dbza-33758684

Dragon Ball Z Abridged is dead, long live Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

praise the lord

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for all the cringeworthy live action stuff the traitors will try to do now.

How long before they have to get real soul crushing jobs like the rest of us?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosume Shezaki posted:

I really liked kaiser's dive into old cartoons that they piloted on four start bento, but apparently the time for research just wasn't there.

Or the YouTube views. Like Kaiser said, that's their main income stream even with Patreon and such.

The Best Takes are starting, though:

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1225570498874134529

As though they were just going to stride into Funimation and say 'we are here to provide English voices for all the Japanese cartoons now.' Although I know DBZA irritated Toei so not doing it anymore probably would help in that direction.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly I have to agree with their decision, much as I loved DBZA. They were clearly showing mission creep on their vids, and KN's videos about the effort into each episode made it become glaringly obvious how goddamn hard it was to keep it going. Given how regular copyright claims are, why would you put that much effort into a production that gets your (highly successful) channel banned?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It sucks but I understand why they're done with DBZA. They have shown so many signs of burn out, especially now that their standards for DBZA are "put out a standard TV-length episode with original writing and tons of redraws/heavy editing". It's probably hard to justify keep doing it when it's also something that gets your main source of income threatened and you've developed other projects and career interests.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Speaking of animation, Australian aftermarket DBZ cartoon 'Big Lez Show' dropped 75 minutes of retrospective today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clzZzgGEzP0

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

somekindofguy posted:

Can't wait for all the cringeworthy live action stuff the traitors will try to do now.

How long before they have to get real soul crushing jobs like the rest of us?

very normal posting

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

DeafNote posted:

I remember hbi2k's three abridged series pretty fondly, though he started rough around the edges and some of the jokes have not aged well at all.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I liked Ygotas but quickly fell out of love with it due to LK's constant need to stop the show for a brief moment to explain any jokes he makes about the Yugioh series (like "Actual Dubbed Dialogue" text) that not everyone would get, and then repeating the explained joke throughout the entire episode. Contrast with TFS' constant one-off references to the most obscure Dragonball stuff like spin-off or one of its countless alternate dubs where they just trust the audience to get the joke and anyone not in the know can still laugh at the reference for being a non-sequitur. Ironically his Naruto parodies avoid this issue and it's comprised of almost nothing but injokes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t remember anything about it or if it’s any good (it probably isn’t) but the fact that the free! abridged series was called 50% off still makes me chuckle

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That guy’s a piece of poo poo.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm sad to see it end, but honestly, I think they were planning to end it with the Cell Saga originally. It just wrapped up all of their story threads nicely, you can tell just how much they loved Cell (and it worked on me. I like Cell so much more now than I did originally), and it just felt finished. I think they only announced that they were going to do Buu partly out of a fear of fan pressure, and maybe a thought that they had more in the tank. I'd still like for them to do the movies at some point in the future, but if this is it, they ended on a great note.

Still one of my favorite moments of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQpLL7-GRM

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

admittedly i haven't watched it since it released but i remember the Sword Art Online abridged series being real good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
there's a Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works Abridged and it's loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Eq8TUki44

feels very influenced by the later parts of DBZA, just with Fate instead of DBZ pretty much

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I tried watching that and jesus christ no

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I tried watching that and jesus christ no

Do they have bad politics or are you allergic to any anime that isn't DBZ or Dark Souls? What exactly is the oh god no about?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dmboogie posted:

admittedly i haven't watched it since it released but i remember the Sword Art Online abridged series being real good

SAO abridged is probably the best abridged series ever after DBZA, for the sheer achievement of making Sword Art Online compelling without actually changing all that much.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I could tell TFS was getting bored with Abridged when they started sneaking in slightly more dramatic bits here and there. Like how they retconned Android 16 to be modelled after Gero's son who Goku killed when he destroyed Red Ribbon's base.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

grittyreboot posted:

I could tell TFS was getting bored with Abridged when they started sneaking in slightly more dramatic bits here and there. Like how they retconned Android 16 to be modelled after Gero's son who Goku killed when he destroyed Red Ribbon's base.

That wasn't them. That was Toriyama.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Gebo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Do they have bad politics or are you allergic to any anime that isn't DBZ or Dark Souls? What exactly is the oh god no about?

It's extremely painful and unfunny, even as someone who's liked Fate since the VN.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's extremely painful and unfunny, even as someone who's liked Fate since the VN.

not everyone's cup of tea, I guess :shrug: for me it pretty much feels in line with late DBZA, just Fate instead of DBZ, and that's an itch i'd been looking to scratch (especially with the news that DBZA is over). totally understandable if you're not in the same boat

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Only seen one episode so far but I thought it was funny. Rin's VA does a good job.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The cinnemasscure crew are covering Jim Carey all month this month and...I'm not looking forward to them talking about Ace Ventura for obvious reasons.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Kay Kessler posted:

That wasn't them. That was Toriyama.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Gebo

Getting murdered by a kid Goku during one of his Red Ribbon Army Arc rampages was an invention of TFS, though. Gero’s son was killed by a bullet at some point, which is a surprisingly fragile death for Dragon Ball!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

i am tim! posted:

Getting murdered by a kid Goku during one of his Red Ribbon Army Arc rampages was an invention of TFS, though. Gero’s son was killed by a bullet at some point, which is a surprisingly fragile death for Dragon Ball!

I figured that was just part of their running gag of Goku inadvertently causing tragedies. Like when he took "just a little more" for the spirit bomb on Namek and killed a planet of innocent creatures.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's cool how fear of youtube's lovely system destroying their channel for funny parody videos is one of their main reasons to stop

quote:

3. Our YouTube channel is our primary source of revenue. While the Patreon absolutely has helped us with several new projects (episode 5 of Unabridged is now in the can, and we continue filming early February), the lifeline that sustains the company is our main channel.

Copyright claims have put us at risk of losing that channel, and our livelihoods in jeopardy. We have our employees to look out for; our friends, our colleagues, and doing right by them—by striving to create original, monetizable, copyright friendly content, that also carries our heart and soul as creatives—is undeniably important.

We've thought about hosting DBZA on other sites, but nowhere has been safe, and worse, it would serve to draw attention away from our hub, which ultimately could lead to less views, less support, and either the scaling back or collapse of our company.

And frankly—and I say this with all due respect—the expansion of our company, to better fulfill the creative wants and needs of our employees, and the financial stability of all therein, is paramount here.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Tesseraction posted:

I figured that was just part of their running gag of Goku inadvertently causing tragedies. Like when he took "just a little more" for the spirit bomb on Namek and killed a planet of innocent creatures.

Yeah, it probably is to an extent, but it also gives Gero a more personal reason to have this obsessive grudge against Goku rather than “Avenge the army ran by a selfish rear end in a top hat that I made robots for!” Kaiser and Lani were talking about that on their play through of the new DBZ: Kakarot game, Lani in particular talking about how he was very happy about making the change.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 7, 2020

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Dawgstar posted:

As though they were just going to stride into Funimation and say 'we are here to provide English voices for all the Japanese cartoons now.' Although I know DBZA irritated Toei so not doing it anymore probably would help in that direction.

Yeah, there's a long history of Japanese companies being extremely Not Cool with American attempts at "riffing" on their intellectual properties. (It took years to get home video rights for the Kaiju MST3K episodes, since the producers in Japan apparently weren't aware that they were allowing an American and two puppets to mock their film when they sold the initial broadcast rights) I've got to imagine being responsible for DBZA hasn't... endeared them to a lot of people in the anime industry, especially considering how many people called DBZA the best dub of DBZ. It kind of sucks because they built their entire brand around this one project! Not sure what moving on from it is going to look like for them,

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so at the risk of restarting animechat, how exactly would someone get into the fate nonsense?

i watched the 5 eps of ubw abridged and it was funny though i couldnt tell what was a joke and what was literally events that happened in the source material being said in a funny tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

A big flaming stink posted:

so at the risk of restarting animechat, how exactly would someone get into the fate nonsense?

i watched the 5 eps of ubw abridged and it was funny though i couldnt tell what was a joke and what was literally events that happened in the source material being said in a funny tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVwcUhxt1k

You want a long version or a short version?