Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Rookersh posted:

Rad. So are the other Spellforce games, if very aged.

Spellforce 1 is general eurojank RPG with psuedo card collecting to get new units for the RTS sections. It's also got a trippy storyline everyone should experience at least once.

Spellforce 2 is...Warcraft 4 mixed with old Bioware, if it was made on half the budget by Russians who made one of the characters a bikini elf. Everyone else wears full clothing so ????. Its legit a favorite of mine and I go back to it every few years.

I'm phone posting so I can go into more detail later when I get home if people want. To give an example of why Spellforce is cool.

You've got to assassinate this king. You choose which heroes are going to do it, and they have to RPG into a Castle then RPG through it.

The other heroes are outside in an RTS base building an army to hold off the kings army which is coming to save him. These two things are happening at the same time.

Spellforce 3 is amazing. It's got tons of choices/consequences in the campaign, good quests, and fairly deep character building. It's no modern RPG, but it hits the itch.

On top of that is a RTS game where you are playing basically Warcraft 4 or 5.

With the hubbub around Reforged, Spellforce 3 really feels like the Warcraft 4 people wanted. Not as polished obviously, but hits the marks.

I just started playing 2, my first experience with the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wait, so is there a modern Armored Core equivalent or have they all sucked like modern Mechwarriors?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait, so is there a modern Armored Core equivalent or have they all sucked like modern Mechwarriors?

Daemon X Machina is like AC4 but with less good mission design

Still pretty solid though

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

srulz posted:

So I've been playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice now, and I really need to vent on something:

You might have missed that you could use your torch to light something in the rooms which is a clear indication that you've been there before.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Daniel Mullins, of Pony Island and The Hex fame, has a new game brewing. It looks a bit like Hand of Fate in a way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mierenneuker posted:

You might have missed that you could use your torch to light something in the rooms which is a clear indication that you've been there before.

Also you can follow the sound of his voice - I'm pretty sure the voices in your head tell you this and complain when you start moving away from it

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty cool puzzle. Guess if you miss the torch lighting mechanic it would be pretty frustrating though......

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Mierenneuker posted:

Nah I didn't miss this. Even though there's no actual button prompt, there's a voice prompt for that. However, I just assumed that some of them are naturally lit before I got to the room, since that's kinda a normal thing for games like AC:O, and it's my "first time" to the new room.

baka kaba posted:

Also you can follow the sound of his voice - I'm pretty sure the voices in your head tell you this and complain when you start moving away from it

I've tried to do this, only failing because the sound is not that precise, and I don't expect the maze to be teleporting itself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Senua is a good game, but teleporter mazes are just one of those universal constants of badness that make anything they touch worse for it. I don't think anyone's really going to hold it against you that you found it annoying.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Daemon X Machina is like AC4 but with less good mission design

Still pretty solid though

Sweet! Looks like I asked this question just in time.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was gifted today's game by a friend, and I'm still mad at them.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania

6. Izeriya

Even with the worst games, I can usually see what was intended by the developer. I can see how a challenge didn’t work out the way they expected, or a mechanic that’s just no fun to anyone aside from its creator. But Izeriya baffles me. There are so many basic, obvious, absolutely elemental mistakes made here that I can’t fathom anyone considering this fun or even finished. The variety of mistakes are breathtaking on their own, from design faults like poor balance and level design to actual bugs like hitboxes and whatever the hell is going on with moving platforms. Izeriya suffers the worst of so many worlds, it’s a wonder anything about it works at all.

The titular Izeriya was a city, once grand and powerful, now reduced to placid, overgrown, Castle-in-the-Sky-esque ruins. Its collapse coincided with a great evil taking up residence there, and the bobble-headed Trix has decided to be the one to vanquish this evil for good. Naturally, Izeriya is not a hospitable place, filled with deadly creatures, deadlier traps, and a gauntlet of puzzling rooms that must be bested before facing the guardians of each area. Armed with a sword and an entry-level fireball spell, the deck is stacked against Trix but some careful platforming, awkward combat, and a little explotation of mechanics will help see him through to victory.

At least, I expect it will. I punched out when I got to the last of the game’s three hubs, each consisting of four levels and a boss. That doesn’t sound like much, I’m sure, but the 40 or so minutes spent getting to that point were some of the most trying of my life. And not for the difficulty of the levels, but for the constant, overwhelming design issues that made everything so much worse than it needed to be. Chief among them is balance, because these levels are absolutely jam-packed full of enemies. That wouldn’t be an issue if they were easy to dispatch, but all of them are as fast as you, take anywhere from 4 to 10 sword swings to defeat, and do constant touch damage when they get near you. Some hallways have a half-dozen monsters or more just waiting for you, and one level halfway through mixed bats, fighters, and mages that shoot persistent homing fireballs in big pit you have to run through.

As awful as that sounds, how you deal with it is even dumber. Instead of fighting, your best option is to just run past everything. There’s no flinch or stun when you get hit, and enemies only do slivers of damage on their own. In a big group they can melt you, but as long as you stay moving the levels are short enough and filled with enough health potions to keep you afloat. You do need to fight a few things though, like bats and ghosts that will chase you through tricky platforming sections. It was in these moments that I discovered possibly the dumbest part of Izeriya, the hitbox for your sword. The hitbox is massively offset to the left of your character, meaning you can hit enemies two arm-lengths out of reach to your left, but enemies on the right can be halfway inside you and completely untouchable.

Combat is only the most obvious place Izeriya fouls up the formula. The further you get into the game, the more instant-death spikes, arrows, chains, and other traps will infest areas. They’re not even instant-death, either, as when you touch one you can keep moving and jumping and getting hit for a second as the screen fades to black. Some levels are full of blind jumps and positioning you can’t possibly know without throwing yourself down on some spikes first. Movement is stiff and sticky, getting impossibly weird on moving platforms that will clip you into oblivion and ladders that make the deathtrap climbs from the original Half-Life look good. And both of the bosses I fought appeared impossible until I found exploits in their patterns that allowed me to sit still and whack them into submission.

I can give Izeriya credit for having a decent, if unremarkable, pixel art style, but that’s about it. Every aspect of the controls, combat, levels, and balance were torture to experience. And the worst part is, the whole game could be decent, if unremarkable, with just a little tuning. Fix the sword hitbox, take out 80% of the enemies, make the last 20% actual threats, remove half of the death traps, rework the bosses, and you’ve got a perfectly baseline platformer. Of course, now that I type that out I can see it’s a lot of tuning, and not really worth the effort for a game that’s going to be unremarkable no matter what. Let’s just chalk this one up as a learning experience for everyone involved (I hope) and get on with our lives.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
drat, it's not often that I ever see you really rip a game a new one like that. One to stay away from, then.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Audish actually had streamed himself playing Izeriya, and it was astonishingly bad. It starts out clunky, and just gets significantly worse as it tries to ramp up the difficulty. You can watch it here if you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBEvU5RA2c

Izeriya starts around 1:09:44 in the video.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 6, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

srulz posted:

Nah I didn't miss this. Even though there's no actual button prompt, there's a voice prompt for that. However, I just assumed that some of them are naturally lit before I got to the room, since that's kinda a normal thing for games like AC:O, and it's my "first time" to the new room.

I've tried to do this, only failing because the sound is not that precise, and I don't expect the maze to be teleporting itself.

You're using headphones right? It's sorta part of the whole experience, and you should be able to tell whether his voice is coming from the left or the right path. Plus the voices talking in your ears are all in Senua's head, they're her own thoughts, so sometimes they're actually helpful because they reflect her perceptions and her understanding of what's going on

the game deals with psychosis and things that appear real or unstable to Senua (some of the things in the game are straight out of the experiences of people they consulted while designing the game) so a lot of it doesn't follow rational rules - they're meant to be confusing or harrowing experiences that she needs to conquer, so there's often a kind of "puzzle" element to stuff. It's very conceptual and metaphorical, so a lot of it is learning the rules of the world you're in, y'know? It's not really an Asscreed kinda game

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stoneshard just released into Early Access. Someone play it and tell me it's good.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Stoneshard just released into Early Access. Someone play it and tell me it's good.

Hell yeah, I’ve been patiently waiting for this. I’ll give it a go tonight and post impressions.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Stoneshard looks amazing. It's also going to be in early access for two years so...

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
cute co-op puzzle game that got good reviews on Switch back in 2018. idk why it took so long to come to PC but glad it's coming

https://store.steampowered.com/app/944080/Pode/

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Haha, and I thought the harshest you got on a game was Sonic Mania (which I felt was similar to my take on it as well). Is this popular as a kusoge or something? Was curious why your friend gifted you it as I imagine there are, unfortunately, a lot of unremarkable platformers like this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FutureCop posted:

Haha, and I thought the harshest you got on a game was Sonic Mania (which I felt was similar to my take on it as well). Is this popular as a kusoge or something? Was curious why your friend gifted you it as I imagine there are, unfortunately, a lot of unremarkable platformers like this.

Friend probably was like "ha ha review this fucker".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
EDIT: oh my god you people are loving ridiculous

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 7, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Its for a single joke character you grump.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Even if it's been around forever "PC Master Race" is uhhh not a term that's aged super well

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

Its for a single joke character you grump.

no

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fawf posted:

Even if it's been around forever "PC Master Race" is uhhh not a term that's aged super well

The irony is that Yahtzee was fully aware of the connotations when he coined the term, and meant it as an insult for elitist PC gamers, who then completely missed the point and started using it to describe themselves.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

repiv posted:

The irony is that Yahtzee was fully aware of the connotations when he coined the term, and meant it as an insult for elitist PC gamers, who then completely missed the point and started using it to describe themselves.

Thank you for providing this information, it will help me shut down Nazi gamers in the future.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wait until everyone finds out about Fight Club.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
341 hours but I finally got the last Slay the Spire achievement.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

odiv posted:

Wait until everyone finds out about Fight Club.

I thought there were some very specific guidelines regarding this.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I thought PC Master Race was only ever to be said sarcastically or as a joke. Not an actual identity.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Wouldn't "PC Master Racer" be a more appropriate title?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Jamfrost posted:

I thought PC Master Race was only ever to be said sarcastically or as a joke. Not an actual identity.

gamers

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jamfrost posted:

It is, the thread's just being dumb

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I've never heard of an ironic term that was used so much that people gradually started using it unironically. certainly not on the internet

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Krazyface posted:

It is, the thread's just being dumb

The last few years have shown there is no difference between irony and sincerity, especially when it comes to racist terms

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jamfrost posted:

It was a term invented as a joke, but some people started using unironically.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm not convinced these people are real. Internet nazis are definitely real, but the idea that this old self-deprecating joke has any higher meaning is dumb as poo poo. Keep in mind that the Awful Septic Tank was called the Comedy Gas Chamber until like a month ago. Is everyone who posted here prior to that a crypto-Nazi?

It's just goon hivemind hyperbole, people repeating things at each other until they become true. It's like how people here will swear that Reddit is a sea of pedophiles (when it's a giant website, with like a billion users, which doesn't do enough to stamp out paeds), or how Games Workshop staggers from one disaster to the next (when it's a fairly-successful business that sometimes makes decisions that piss off the fans), or how the CineD subforum is elitists huffing their own farts and bullying any normal people who wander in (true on the fart-huffing, but they're very welcoming people). I remember a couple years ago in one of the Chapo threads someone said, as a joke, that Matt Christman had gotten divorced, and for weeks afterwards you had people who genuinely believed it.

caldrax posted:

Thank you for providing this information, it will help me shut down Nazi gamers in the future.

What are you talking about? What is this scenario? You're in a multiplayer match with some Nazis, and you say, "actually the term 'PC master race' was first used ironically", and then everyone cheers until they leave the lobby?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i dont think anyone here is claiming that people who said 'PC Master Race' are literal nazis, theyre saying that there are dumb assholes who use the term unironically to mean 'haha scrubs PCs are better than consoles git gud' or w/e which is absolutely a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like there probably are nazis in that group but only in the sense that there are nazis in several gaming groups, in general