Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm sure owning two VAG vehicles at the same time won't possibly result in anything bad happening to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

I'm sure owning two VAG vehicles at the same time won't possibly result in anything bad happening to me.

My partner just bought another one so we currently own 3 between us (until we can sell the worst one).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
good color choice greeb. is it a stick? i could only find black and white manuals so had to settle for alltrack.

i would keep the drat thing stock since work vehicle but whatever you do you

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

The ECU being replaced at 6k does seem a tad strange to me! I wouldn't buy that car or any used S4 without a thorough pre purchase inspection and even then things can still hide in the grass to bite your rear end.

I'm not aware of any common issues with the B9 platform, partly because it's still pretty new but I'd recommend cruising over to the Audizine forums to see what some of them might be.

Oh also if anyone is following my wagon quest from the BMW Thread or elsewhere, I ended up settling for the practical choice of the 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen, got an S 4Motion for a pretty good deal from my local dealer. Now I just need new wheels and tires and springs immediately to take some of the goofiness out of the ride height.

You also need to toss an IS20 or IS38 on there for Golf R wagon power levels!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

fknlo posted:

You also need to toss an IS20 or IS38 on there for Golf R wagon power levels!

That I won't do because work vehicle but I absolutely hate the way it looks stock so it needs to get lowered a bit. I also ordered the BEC Auto Golf R style headlights as well cause I'm a sucker for LED/HIDs - I might eventually do an APR stage 1 tune on it because apparently that is kosher with the service warranty per my VW salesperson??

I also ended up going with the DSG for the simple reason that I'll spend 50% of my time in this thing stuck in traffic. I had to use my Audi to drive home from San Jose on Friday at like 5PM and it took 2 hours of rowing gears 1-2-1-2-1-2-3-1-2-1 over and over and over and ugh I fucken hate it lol

Also ordering a bunch of interior LED bulbs because I'm one of those and maybe that Helix subwoofer because wow are the stock speakers in this thing unimpressive. It also seems worthwhile to try and swap seats from an SEL trime or a GTI or a Golf R if I can actually find some anywhere (fat chance of that).

I'm also happy I was able to find one in a color outside the German rainbow, one that should hopefully look good parked next to my S4 if that ever happens.

Also parked next to this extremely cool guy on like the only trip I've taken in the car so far.

I think the car does look extremely better with just a bit of a drop.

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol the vortex is coming from within the thread

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bro which chip is the best for mk4 gti? Already have CAI and cut the springs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

pringles, the can fits in a cupholder.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh by the way an APR stage 1 will absolutely void the powertrain portion of the warranty unless you find a very forgiving dealer. it won't void any of the rest of your warranty unless your dealer is a dick - eg if the head unit goes, it will still be warrantable. but if you have an APR stage 1 flash and there's an issue with the mechatronix unit in the DSG gearbox, you are gonna get hosed.

APR does offer their own supplemental powertrain warranty on one version of the stage 1 product - you basically pay extra money for their warranty coverage. dunno if it's worth it, but i did get that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

taqueso posted:

pringles, the can fits in a cupholder.

GTIs have cupholders now???

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NoWake posted:

GTIs have cupholders now???

Pretty drat good ones too. They're accessible but out of the way even with giant QT drinks in them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Give me back my spring loaded cup holders that block the radio and HVAC controls, or give me death by coil pack

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of death, the turbo on my B6 Passat wagon. It’s making horrible noises on turbo spool-up after about 10 minutes of driving :negative:

My days as a VW owner just might be over, I’m sure as hell not paying someone $2k+ to replace it, and while I probably could tackle the job given enough time I just don’t want to deal with it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

devmd01 posted:

Speaking of death, the turbo on my B6 Passat wagon. It’s making horrible noises on turbo spool-up after about 10 minutes of driving :negative:

My days as a VW owner just might be over, I’m sure as hell not paying someone $2k+ to replace it, and while I probably could tackle the job given enough time I just don’t want to deal with it.

If the 2.0T in the B6 Passat is like the other vehicles with the 2.0T, then it should be anywhere near a $2k job to replace the turbo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve been dumping 2-3 grand into it in non-standard maintenance costs nearly every year for the last few, it’s time to let it go. I can afford it, it’s still cheaper than a car payment, but at a certain point you just want to drive something newer. :)

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Is there a good way to calculate whether a wheel/tire/spring combo will cause rubbing? My simple brain is ready to explode trying to hold all the different variables in it since I have only the vaguest understanding of what all the different suspension and tire terms mean. I asked on VWVortex and got a "maybe they'll rub???" kind of answer. Is this the type of thing a suspension/tire shop would be able to figure out?

For reference I'm thinking of putting Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my 19 GSW for a 1.4"~ drop, some Motegi 17x8.5 wheels with maybe 225 or 235/40 tires. If any part of that combo sounds really stupid let me know. I usually leave the suspension stock on my cars or by upgraded parts of the same size, this'll be my first time going up in dimensions for wheels and tires while simultaneously lowering the vehicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

your wheels and tires would be 24.4" vs 24.9" stock. my simple head tells me you're moving the center of the wheel up 1.4" but then you get to cut about a quarter inch due to smaller overall diameter - so you need at least 1.15" clearance around the wheel well in the current state

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

In case people don't know this site exists: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

This really only takes into account wider wheels and tires, but unless you measure your wheel wells there's no good way to tell.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you're gonna have to dig through the vortex (ugh) or mkvii golf site (better) for fitment questions like that. if anything do the drop first, then see how that works out with stock wheels before you do anything else.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Thanks for that will it fit link, the visualizer there was super helpful. I think after fussing about looking at different wheels over and over I'm just going to go back to my original choice, some Motegi MR131s, which are a more normal 17x7 size which should be no issue at all. The MR141s are neat but I don't know that I like them that much more than the 131s and they're awful wide. Gonna start calling around for quotes on suspension work.

Also got to pick a tire. Does a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 sound ok? I live in CA so 3 Seasons are usually pretty good year round.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the a/s3 is good but the nerds in the bmw thread have had a hard time with them recently

well i think its just kotex in fairness

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Man I really want a newish Rabbit GTI but my Mk6 has been good to me. Hows the Mk7.5s or whatever doing now? I have one the the last German GTIs and even after like 6 years it doesn't rattle inside and has held up really well, though only 65k miles on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Styles Bitchley posted:

Man I really want a newish Rabbit GTI but my Mk6 has been good to me. Hows the Mk7.5s or whatever doing now? I have one the the last German GTIs and even after like 6 years it doesn't rattle inside and has held up really well, though only 65k miles on it.

you might get more response in the hot hatch thread

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Styles Bitchley posted:

You should get a 2019 now, before they are all gone if you're really interested. The 2020 goes back to the four year warranty, while the 2019 has a six year warranty and they seem to be getting good discounts now. Both are the same Mk 7.5, so no real power or visual difference. I only have 900 miles on mine though. I guess I would caution with the manual transmission as I had mine bought back and was given a DCT 7-speed. They since claim to have a fix though for the stalling with 2019 manuals.

Edit: bonus image with A4 in the background, not a big fan of my wheels though

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 6, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I really like those wheels except how they're not mirrored for the opposite side, so that side appears backwards. I really really like the GTI and wish there was some way I could have made one work for my work purposes. Instead I'm gonna try and make a GSW look as close as possible lol

Oh kyoon you were right that the APR tune would cause a TD1 flag if I bring the car in for service. There are a couple dealers in the not very near me vicinity who can service the APR+ tune with its limited powertrain warranty but idk. I feel like this 6 year warranty is a big part of the value of the car but I also feel like not tuning it is gonna make me mad for the duration. I'll probably stew on it for 6mo-1y and then do it anyway lol

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

Thanks for that will it fit link, the visualizer there was super helpful. I think after fussing about looking at different wheels over and over I'm just going to go back to my original choice, some Motegi MR131s, which are a more normal 17x7 size which should be no issue at all. The MR141s are neat but I don't know that I like them that much more than the 131s and they're awful wide. Gonna start calling around for quotes on suspension work.

Also got to pick a tire. Does a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 sound ok? I live in CA so 3 Seasons are usually pretty good year round.

If you don't live in the mountains of CA, why get an all season at all? The PS4S is great in the wet. I've run them for 2 years and the only limitation is "I can't do mountain drives in the snow" which was already a limitation without summer tires.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Honestly I did think about it. My main hesitation is that Pilot Sport 4s are $50 more a tire and I'm trying to fit as much stuff into my limited budget as I can right now. Plus I didn't even bother springing for them on my S4 so I feel like I'll look pretty stupid if my commuter quasi-FWD 170hp wagon has nicer tires than my performance sedan lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You'd be fine with any decent summer tires to be honest. No point compromising with an all season, especially if you don't need them.

I'm actually blown away by the number of people here in Colorado that have an extra winter set but still run all seasons in the summer. Their reasoning never makes any actual sense.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

fknlo posted:

You'd be fine with any decent summer tires to be honest. No point compromising with an all season, especially if you don't need them.

I'm actually blown away by the number of people here in Colorado that have an extra winter set but still run all seasons in the summer. Their reasoning never makes any actual sense.

Yup this is what I was getting at. Even if you are springing for the Michelins, I'd prefer a nice summer tire over a no season. If it's not regularly below 40* when you're driving just get a summer.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Is there a recommended cheaper summer tire than the Michelin PS4?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

Is there a recommended cheaper summer tire than the Michelin PS4?

Is the continental extremecontact DW cheaper? I've used them on a few vehicles to good effect. Incredible rain/standing water performance and did extremely well at dry track days.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

For some reason I thought that tire wasn't available in the size I was looking for - that's actually the tire I've been using on all my vehicles for years. Just had to scroll past tireracks in system advertisement and there it was, $60 a tire cheaper than a PS4. I think that'll work perfect! - thats for the DWS actually which is an all season I just realized. The ExtremeContact Sport (no DW) is about $40 cheaper per tire than a PS4 and is marked as a summer tire.

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 7, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you don't need the snow part the DW is very nice. I have DWS on one axle because I had a tire fail and couldn't find a DW with matching tread wear.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Just so I'm not being stupid, this is the right tire yes? EC Sport

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

fknlo posted:

I have winters and all seasons, only because that's what the GTI came with. No point buying a set of summers till these ones are dead.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Same, I live in FL, so i'm slowly socking away money for a set of PS4S when the tires I got from the dealer hit their end of life. Guess they really are worth $260/corner?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

Just so I'm not being stupid, this is the right tire yes? EC Sport

It looks like they have a few different SKUs now. Here's the Conti page with the different products, you can see the sport and the DW are different. Maybe the sport isn't as good in the wet?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The EC sport is the new version and replacement for the DW.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Deviant posted:

Same, I live in FL, so i'm slowly socking away money for a set of PS4S when the tires I got from the dealer hit their end of life. Guess they really are worth $260/corner?

They're incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d gladly pay $60 more a corner for a PS4S/PSS over a DW, having lived with both.