Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i liked almost everyone, even jason :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Mordin's song is loving stupid

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You're loving stupid!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

hard counter posted:

i liked almost everyone, even jason :shrug:

Jacob is pretty much "Hoo-ah" marine turned into Operators be Operatin' and actually likable.

His powerset and weapon selection is godawful and pretty much ends up shooting people ineffectively from miles away with his shotgun and his useless special.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Galewolf posted:

My Mass Effect companion list (original content donut steal)

Goku-tier:

Wrex
Mordin
Thane

Bro-Tier:

ME 1 Garrus
Kaidan (eat hot nuke Ash)
Grunt
Dominatrix tentacle milf
Jack

Only Pick Them Because They Are Powerful or Mission Locked Tier:

Slab Bulkhead
Dat rear end
Legion
Blue Space Waifu
Anime Space Thief
Bugface McGrumpy
Purple Anime Waifu

[X] To The Vents - Tier:

Zaeed
Jacob
Space Vampire Dominatrix Daughter
Dream Cyber Waifu with combat heels

Thane is lame, Legion and Javik should be higher. EDI is trash and is where she belongs. She was way better before they made her a Pinocchio sexbot.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

iirc he's modestly useful for setting up biotic combos because all he has going for him is pull, his other skills like incendiary ammo and barrier don't need much refreshing so he's always free to pull a target

even that is a p niche use tho

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'll say this for Bioware, they're pretty good at little emotional beats. There's a bit in the last ME3 DLC where, if you romanced Thane (who died as part of the story earlier in the game) he turns up at the end as a ghost. Or memory, whatever. The point is it's ridiculous, but I actually got a little teary-eyed watching the scene. There's also a bit where you fight an evil clone of yourself, and at the end he says "why should you live and me die? What do you have that I don't?" And then you get saved by your loyal friends while he gets left to die by his mercenary cohort who is not his friend. It's kind of dumb, but it's sweet

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Thane is lame, Legion and Javik should be higher. EDI is trash and is where she belongs. She was way better before they made her a Pinocchio sexbot.

I like Thane because instead of blowing all his space gold on space drugs and Asari hookers to spend his last days, he joins your cray cray quest and he has the pimpest outfits :colbert:

You get Legion so late that I never bothered (or went for cheating him early) and even worse he triggers crew melting countdown so you can't go for wacky adventures too much. Bringing him to Tali loyality mission is like super hilarious tho.

Javik has some funny lines but too salty for my taste (he is a murder machimr in combat tho).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Javik just squandered the potential of the Protheans to be a generic warrior imperialist. Really embodied how much story and worldbuilding ME3 was sacrificing to focus on the gunplay. EDI as an android bounced between creepy and superfluous.

Garrus I wanted to like more, but he just never opened up much to anybody. I really wanted him to have some kind of dialogue with Wrex, since they were my go-to balanced team in ME1 and they seem like perfect foils. There's even that Shadow Broker log about his sick ma that he never tells anybody about. Nothin' but calibrating with that guy.

I wasn't really comfortable with any of the romance subplots, if you don't want them they kinda jump up on you if you've just been talking nice to people, if you do want them, they're kinda shallow. But I guess that kinda thing took over Fire Emblem, so some people must really go for that.

2house2fly posted:

Mordin's song is loving stupid

I thought it was a neat idea that Salarians would be good at patter songs. Although the lyrical timing is broken by Bioware's dialogue system.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the twist that the protheans were just as petty, venal and stupid as everyone else is good, actually. i don't actually like what they did with javik that much, but totally letting the wind out of the sails of the ancient precursor civilisation was a good move

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

the twist that the protheans were just as petty, venal and stupid as everyone else is good, actually. i don't actually like what they did with javik that much, but totally letting the wind out of the sails of the ancient precursor civilisation was a good move

Yeah, that rocked

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't know because I didn't pay for the DLC that let you have that character.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

dudeness posted:

I wouldn't know because I didn't pay for the DLC that let you have that character.

this was one of the several parts i didn't like about javik specifically, yes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He's a space lizard who had biotic powers except his biotics were green and not blue.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

+1 on the protheans being pieces of poo poo being a good idea. Also I don't think improving the gameplay would necessarily make the writing worse

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Javik also comes with a LASER RIFLE. That DLC is worth it if for nothing more than being able to outfit your whole crew, finally, with LASER RIFLES

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ungulateman posted:

I don't remember this being openly stated but theres a good argument that this generation stands a chance against the reapers purely because the first species to space was also genetically driven to gently caress everything in sight instead of kill them

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I don't remember this being openly stated but theres a good argument that this generation stands a chance against the reapers purely because the first species to space was also genetically driven to gently caress everything in sight instead of kill them

humans weren't the first species to space in mass effect, though? :v:

here's an asari-related tangent that bothers me a lot: the technological parity and stasis of the mass effect universe is dumbly-but-comprehensibly explained by all 'prothean-based' technology being a trap designed by the reapers, but then also the asari just have a prothean vi constantly feeding them slightly better stuff the entire time? mass effect 3 is already on shaky ground because the entire trilogy is a endless series of spinning plates that have to land some time, but everything that happens after rannoch just falls apart entirely and that's one of the biggest dumb examples.

see also mass effect 2 panicking at the start and hitting all the buttons to make the universe fit one configuration so they don't have to account for Literally Every Possibility in the first game because that is totally unfeasible. the story they then go on to tell with that one configuration is cool and tonally a better fit with the universe in question, but it's definitely a jarring scene transition.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Best Javik line:

-They ate bugs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dudeness posted:

Same but I think a goon emailed me a code for it, which I redeemed and then never played because the game was poo poo.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

ungulateman posted:

humans weren't the first species to space in mass effect, though? :v:

here's an asari-related tangent that bothers me a lot: the technological parity and stasis of the mass effect universe is dumbly-but-comprehensibly explained by all 'prothean-based' technology being a trap designed by the reapers, but then also the asari just have a prothean vi constantly feeding them slightly better stuff the entire time? mass effect 3 is already on shaky ground because the entire trilogy is a endless series of spinning plates that have to land some time, but everything that happens after rannoch just falls apart entirely and that's one of the biggest dumb examples.

see also mass effect 2 panicking at the start and hitting all the buttons to make the universe fit one configuration so they don't have to account for Literally Every Possibility in the first game because that is totally unfeasible. the story they then go on to tell with that one configuration is cool and tonally a better fit with the universe in question, but it's definitely a jarring scene transition.

gently caress ME2 honestly. It railroads you into being cerberus little bitch boy. And it makes you a traitor, and it makes joker a traitor, and it makes the alliance retarded and makes sweeping explanations to allow you to get this new ship and this new crew and whatever

It’s almost like a new writer got on the team and wanted to humiliate the old guy as much as possible so he vented his setting and wrote this super badass OC

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cerberus is cool

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I like that ME3 proved that Cerberus was right because as soon as Earth got occupied all humanity’s alien allies were like “gently caress you, we’ve got our own problems” immediately

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Cerberus is fine if you played renegade in 1, but you could easily play as an alliance hardliner who was involved with destroying cerberus cells and was personally attacked in cerberus ‘experiments’

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
One thing I feel like Mass Effect doesn't get enough recognition for is being a decade ahead of the curve of using prominent synths in it's soundtrack.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

One thing I feel like Mass Effect doesn't get enough recognition for is being a decade ahead of the curve of using prominent synths in it's soundtrack.

Eh. Apart from the respective main themes I don't think I could tell a single song from me apart from any of the halo soundtrack.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Making a bunch of characters and story critical missions into DLC was a real EA move, but I never bought any of them and didn’t feel like it mattered at all

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Eh. Apart from the respective main themes I don't think I could tell a single song from me apart from any of the halo soundtrack.

I liked Clint Mansell’s work on ME3. Especially “An End, Once and For All”

https://youtu.be/x5JvbD2Zc9I

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Someone who worked in Bioware QA posted in the ME3 thread when it came out; he'd left by then but he still had some interesting behind the scenes info. One was: Javik was originally meant to be in the base game but he was cut due to budget or time or both, I forget. Someone on the development team lobbied to have him included as a DLC, which gave them extra DLC budget to finish him off. So basically the options were to have him as DLC or just not have him in the game

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

poisonpill posted:

Making a bunch of characters and story critical missions into DLC was a real EA move, but I never bought any of them and didn’t feel like it mattered at all

It was part of this stillborn initiative by EA to try and combat used game sales by including a code for DLC with the physical copy of the game; if you bought the game used you would have to pony up an extra :10bux: to get the stuff they cut out as DLC. The same penny-pinching is also why it's such a pain to try and play complete versions of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games on PC because they tried to circumvent Steam's cut of sales by using a proprietary DLC storefront before they splintered off and made Origin.

Probably the only good thing to come out of this really lovely incestuous era was the fact that the dude from the cover of Battlefield was a skin in ME3 and half of him was glowing orange to match the cover

2house2fly posted:

Someone who worked in Bioware QA posted in the ME3 thread when it came out; he'd left by then but he still had some interesting behind the scenes info. One was: Javik was originally meant to be in the base game but he was cut due to budget or time or both, I forget. Someone on the development team lobbied to have him included as a DLC, which gave them extra DLC budget to finish him off. So basically the options were to have him as DLC or just not have him in the game

You can unlock him in the base game by changing a single line of text lol

https://booncontrol.com/threads/unlock-javik-the-prothean-in-me3-without-dlc.3161/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

gently caress ME2 honestly. It railroads you into being cerberus little bitch boy. And it makes you a traitor, and it makes joker a traitor, and it makes the alliance retarded and makes sweeping explanations to allow you to get this new ship and this new crew and whatever

It’s almost like a new writer got on the team and wanted to humiliate the old guy as much as possible so he vented his setting and wrote this super badass OC

I think there's some plausible deniability about how bad Cerberus was up front when they were recruiting your crew. You're given a number of opportunities to tell the rest of Cerberus to go gently caress itself, and your crew is entirely fine with it because they're all more loyal to you than to them.

The one consistent thing about Cerberus is that all Cerberus projects have a lot of autonomy and inevitably go horribly awry and kill everybody involved. You know this both from seeing every other Cerberus project do that and from your experience of being a Cerberus project that goes awry and destroys the entire organization.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cereberus is literally the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wild Horses posted:

So ME2 was the TROS of Mass Effect?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just remembered another thing about mass effect besides the camera hovering around Miranda's rear end, the blue sex babe race, and the topless mean lady: The time they bimboified the ship so that seth green could gently caress it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

I'll say this for Bioware, they're pretty good at little emotional beats. There's a bit in the last ME3 DLC where, if you romanced Thane (who died as part of the story earlier in the game) he turns up at the end as a ghost. Or memory, whatever. The point is it's ridiculous, but I actually got a little teary-eyed watching the scene. There's also a bit where you fight an evil clone of yourself, and at the end he says "why should you live and me die? What do you have that I don't?" And then you get saved by your loyal friends while he gets left to die by his mercenary cohort who is not his friend. It's kind of dumb, but it's sweet

The clone fight's great if you're a vanguard because the pair of you just spend a while charging into each other and shouting while your friends and mercs cease to matter

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I just remembered another thing about mass effect besides the camera hovering around Miranda's rear end, the blue sex babe race, and the topless mean lady: The time they bimboified the ship so that seth green could gently caress it.

A series about the relationship between organic and synthetic beings and whether they can coexist or are doomed to a cycle of exterminating each other for all eternity and ends with the most positive outcome being a synthesis of the two has a subplot about a human and an AI falling in love.

Gamers: haha that guy wants to gently caress a spaceship for no reason, this game is so stupid lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Remember when they put the green overlay on Joker's hat for some reason so it was also alive at the end

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

A series about the relationship between organic and synthetic beings and whether they can coexist or are doomed to a cycle of exterminating each other for all eternity and ends with the most positive outcome being a synthesis of the two has a subplot about a human and an AI falling in love.

Gamers: haha that guy wants to gently caress a spaceship for no reason, this game is so stupid lol

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
guy in his 30s who cried manly tears at BJ Blazkowicz being sad because the bad guys won but feels vague hostility towards the games that girls like because you can kiss in them: Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that spaceship, Joker. You got a pussy in that thing?

Joker: Hahahaha, nice one, Gamer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can really tell I'm mad because girls like something, nice observation