Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

DirtyRobot posted:

I’m getting a weird issue on iPad where, whenever I switch from the Awful app to another app — and then go back again to the awful app — the top-left back button is gone. (Closing and re-opening the app completely brings it back.)
I get this too. It's not a huge thing, but enough that I've noticed it.

A couple of days ago my login expired, and when I logged back in a handful of settings were reset. I think it was mostly color schemes etc. is this on purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

is it just on my phone, or might there be an issue with previously stickied threads still hanging around at the top? it's not too big of a deal in general, but places like byob where stickied threads are cycled pretty regularly, this messes up pretty much everything wrt thread sorting

pic 1: example in grey forums.

pic2: example from BYOB, here you can see how messy everything gets

pic 3: my thread settings in the app. I'm supposed to have unread and bookmarked threads first, but as you can see in pic 2, they're spread all over the place. the one bookmarked thread I have there isn't even on screen

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I’m not 100% sure of this and it’s not like this is something I can really reproduce, but I think that the last time my phone refreshed the forum list it had one announcement (the transphobia one) and now it has one again (the fast food forum one), but because it missed the narrow window where there were two it failed to mark the new announcement as unread.

Good luck testing that :v:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

is it just on my phone, or might there be an issue with previously stickied threads still hanging around at the top? it's not too big of a deal in general, but places like byob where stickied threads are cycled pretty regularly, this messes up pretty much everything wrt thread sorting

pic 3: my thread settings in the app. I'm supposed to have unread and bookmarked threads first, but as you can see in pic 2, they're spread all over the place. the one bookmarked thread I have there isn't even on screen

just to keep everything above water, so to say, I've tried restarting the app, resetting the toggles and clearing cache, but the sorting is still the same as pictured

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ulvir posted:

In image 1 you're using the "Forums" tab in the app. The "Show unread bookmarks first" is applicable only in the Bookmarks tab in the app.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

DirtyRobot posted:

I’m getting a weird issue on iPad where, whenever I switch from the Awful app to another app — and then go back again to the awful app — the top-left back button is gone. (Closing and re-opening the app completely brings it back.)

Ditto. But I found that rotating the iPad 90 degrees (so the screen orientation changes) and then back also brings the back button back. Go figure.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

In image 1 you're using the "Forums" tab in the app. The "Show unread bookmarks first" is applicable only in the Bookmarks tab in the app.

fair enough, but there’s still a weird mix of stickies and non-stickied threads, and with unread threads not sorting properly

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I guess the Android app has a search function on the smilies thing, and that sounds really cool and useful.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

Same thing happens with iOS 13.3.1 with OTA updates since 13.0.

Was gonna try a reformat and reinstall with latest 13.3.1 but wanted to see if OTA 13.3.1 would be any better than 13.3.0. Nope :(

Same here. The app is unusable at all :(

X with everything fully updated.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sometimes when I’m going to a thread from my bookmarks, the “previous post” button doesn’t appear so I have to go back a page and then forward to the one I was on. Is this a known issue?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sometimes when I’m going to a thread from my bookmarks, the “previous post” button doesn’t appear so I have to go back a page and then forward to the one I was on. Is this a known issue?

Happens to me too. Also the thread title disappears.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yeah, me too, but I haven’t found a pattern. Threads with fewer unread replies seem to make it more likely.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Encrypted posted:

Same here. The app is unusable at all :(

X with everything fully updated.

Same for me, unusable app - Xs, all updates installed. Removing/reinstalling/cache clearing/logging in-out... none of it makes any difference. My mobile life is now so bleak.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Same for me, unusable app - Xs, all updates installed. Removing/reinstalling/cache clearing/logging in-out... none of it makes any difference. My mobile life is now so bleak.

FWIW my X is running everything fine. Not sure what to tell you :(

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Weird quirk: not sure if it’s the apps or the site itself, but spoilers...don’t work with emojis!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Handoff from beta app to macOS web browser mis-encodes the page number, so you go to the start of the thread instead of where you were. It has an extra specific wrapping the page number: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728729&perpage=40&pagenumber=specific(99)

I couldn't quickly find out where that encoding happens.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I suspect that it could be a conflict with one other certain app, because I do know it used to work back on my 7.. but I'm not gonna go delete all my other apps just to find out which one.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I suspect that it could be a conflict with one other certain app, because I do know it used to work back on my 7.. but I'm not gonna go delete all my other apps just to find out which one.

Ugh... maybe it's time for a wipe and piece-by-piece rebuild.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok I figured it out - the issue (on my Xs, anyway) is when you enable "Prefer Cross-Fade Transitions" in Settings > Accessibility > Motion. When that's enabled the Awful app stops working, but when you disable the setting it goes back to working as normal. So I guess cross-fade makes Awful cross-eyed.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

On iOS, if I start swiping from the right edge of the screen on the Forums or Bookmarks page to return to my most recent / currently open thread, the bottom tabs get super squished during that transition. They become roughly twice as tall as they should be, and also moved so the left edge is ~1/3 away from the left side of the screen:

Interestingly, when you are finishing sliding the incoming thread almost all the way onscreen, the left edge of the tab bar ends up perfectly aligned with the left edge of the thread, as both meet the left side of the screen simultaneously.

The bottom tab bar will remain weird as long as you hold your finger on the screen from that point; if you lift your finger and fully return to the Forums or Bookmarks view, the tab bar reverts to normal. It also stays normal when you're swiping back out of a thread (from left edge of the screen) to the Forums/Bookmarks listings. Just swiping from right edge while starting on Forums/Bookmarks causes this graphical glitch.

iOS 13.3, iPhone 8+, portrait mode, Awful v4.0 (latest on App Store). Classic Dark Theme with Dark Mode on.

Also is there any movement towards making it so you can copy a thread title while actively viewing that thread, e.g. long-press on a thread's title bar? (Similar to how you can copy a URL in Safari by long-pressing on the URL bar for the e.g. "Copy | Speak | Paste and Search" buttons?)

Thanks y'all!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Ok I figured it out - the issue (on my Xs, anyway) is when you enable "Prefer Cross-Fade Transitions" in Settings > Accessibility > Motion. When that's enabled the Awful app stops working, but when you disable the setting it goes back to working as normal. So I guess cross-fade makes Awful cross-eyed.
Holy poo poo! That’s it! Thank you!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Thank you for going through all the mind numbing possibilities in Settings, my Awful now works. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about fading transitions.. although this should give pokeyman something to consider changing in his code?

But how can a system screen transition cause your app to refuse to work?!

Before anyone answers, it's all Hair Force One's fault.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Dicty Bojangles posted:

You are a good poster and a good person and OMG I HAVE MY APP BACK. How long did it take you to discover this? I would send you king cake if I could.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Nice find! I can reproduce this on the dev build so when I get a chance I’ll use the debugger to see if something will tell me what’s going on.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cheers, all - I'm glad it doesn't only work for me!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The other side of the coin is that now I have to deal with the bouncy app windows instead of fades but it's not a huge deal..

Still seems ridiculous that a simple system setting can affect an app that doesn't do much with graphics anyway though I am sure that when pokeyman files a bug report, Apple will just tell him it's his fault without offering any workaround or worse, cite a 'known bug' that will be fixed in 14.0 or some other laughable excuse.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Unfortunately I'm stumped. Nothing at all is logged when crossfades are enabled so I have no idea where to even begin to look. It doesn't help that the logs are spammed with nothing but

code:
2020-02-15 21:04:45.262515-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
2020-02-15 21:04:45.265133-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
2020-02-15 21:04:45.462344-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
2020-02-15 21:04:45.465974-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
2020-02-15 21:04:47.114304-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
2020-02-15 21:04:47.116917-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
2020-02-15 21:04:47.312321-0600 AwfulDebug[13632:6812648] [Process] kill() returned unexpected error 1
forever (as far as I can tell they aren't related, it happens whether or not crossfades are enabled.)

You got this one pokeyman!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure mark latest read is no longer working across devices. Are the SA servers the source of truth for that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, though it was working for me last night from iPhone to iPad on beta. I bet it’s from LAB trying to change button labels or something equally butterfly-in-Tokyo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just used it on this thread and it worked without issue. May be device or version specific?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, did the logout/login on both devices, I'll keep an eye out.

While I was on the login screen I did notice the 1password button is black-on-black in dark mode (turned on both in the app and OS)

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
What’s the likelihood of adding Microsoft Edge as an option for the default browser list?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi I love the app but why is auto capitalization not working in some places? It seems like CSpam is the worst for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s based on forum rules for that, it’s working as intended.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s based on forum rules for that, it’s working as intended.

What in the gently caress?

Why??

I don’t post there hardly at all it’s annoying as hell.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

MarcusSA posted:

What in the gently caress?

Why??

I don’t post there hardly at all it’s annoying as hell.

My understanding is that it is by request of the specific subforums

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

My understanding is that it is by request of the specific subforums

Literally the dumbest thing.

I like don’t understand the reasoning.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe that’s okay that the forums you rarely post in do things they like?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

Maybe that’s okay that the forums you rarely visit do things they like?

It still doesn’t make any sense though :confused:

I’m just trying to understand the reasoning behind it because it only affects the mobile users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Only nerds post with caps in CSPAM and YOSPOS etc.