Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan posted:

The ink text is literally in a word balloon!

Snout tried to like her tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mookie breaking out the mspaint spraycan for this

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1224726921839357952

This really sums up my feelings for this comic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

is that face in the bottom left a copy paste from somewhere, or does it just feel like it is

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

"Could you use a smaller font so we can get the plot dump done in a week instead of three months?"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Well the font size explains why the ‘book’ has about five words per page.

Snout’s real talent is writing smaller than 40 pt font.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is it weird that I'm genuinely excited for the explanation? I really want to see how Mookie tries to justify this bullshit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is it weird that I'm genuinely excited for the explanation? I really want to see how Mookie tries to justify this bullshit.
More :munch: or :suspense:?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Show, don't tell? Well I'll have one character show another character a bunch of floating text explaining the plot."

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well um...Last panel, nice little effect with the cascading particles of ink falling to the ground. That's all I got.

I'm also slightly curious how he's going to convey Snout talking to someone.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Drunk Theory posted:

Well um...Last panel, nice little effect with the cascading particles of ink falling to the ground. That's all I got.

I'm also slightly curious how he's going to convey Snout talking to someone.

Unless I'm misremembering, Snout is mute as well as deaf, so he'll just write into his diary and show it to her.

I am sure this won't get obnoxious at all.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I"m not really hating this page, and I'm interested in seeing how he tries to square this mess.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In this, a comic without dialogue, text takes up literally half the image and is the central feature of the..."joke."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

Yeah, I"m not really hating this page, and I'm interested in seeing how he tries to square this mess.

Nah, this page sucks. He's switched to digital so his ink splashes don't even look good now.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
How ridiculous is it that the character who's not named Snout is so much snoutier than Snout in panel 3? I know we're kind of inured to Mookie only being able to draw one face and that face being snoutface, but come on. That's ridiculous. What the hell is going on with her face in panel 3? Like Snout's dicktail, her nose migrates all over her face at weird angles whenever the camera changes angle.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah Mookie's gone out of his way to lovingly craft the Ink Witch in every other appearance she's made (mostly on Twitter during Inkvember and Patreon cheesecake), but now that she's in the comic proper, he's falling into lazy old habits and she looks like poo poo.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope I don't come off as too negative, but I feel like this comic, is bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How could you say that? This comic just got started. Its only been....

8 months?!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If this was a physical comic, it feels like we’d only have something like three or four issues worth of material if it was starting from the very beginning. Set up the setting in the first, second and maybe third pick up after his house is destroyed and feature his hijinks trying to get the pages, and the current issue is everything from just after getting robbed by the orc till the present.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

According to the chapter select on the homepage this is page 90, if that helps factor into your calculation.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

loving hell, 90 pages in and basically nothing has been established. All of this could have been the first dozen pages of the comic and lost nothing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Editing the legacy into something more digestible would be a pretty good workshop for comic creators. The obvious answer is to just cut out all the page bullshit after Snout’s house was blown up, and just have Snout’s weird dream, make the 3rd library visit the second and then have Snout leave the Wild Edge. You could probably
even weave in the pagefinding with Snout’s journey out of the Wild Edge, if you thought it was so important (it’s not).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I would go with never having the Ink Witch be kidnapped - when he meets her the first time, she stays with him instead of getting several dozen pages of The Snout Show. It went nowhere and established nothing and now we're only getting the Ink Witch's real introduction now for no good reason. Then they could go on the quest for the pages together, like they're about to loving do anyway, since Snout lost the pages to the Orc, and the pages had no surprising information anyway

ARGLEBARGLE this comic makes me mad

Edit: just want to point how funny it is that I'm mad at this comic for its slow pacing but praising Oh Human Star for the same (all the characters are just going to lunch in the current, final, chapter). But it's so much more appropriate there.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 6, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A slow, relaxed pace isn't inherently bad. What's bad is when the story is moving slowly and there's nothing going on that makes use of it. A slow pace can be good to do, say, a deep dive on the characters and their interactions, even if technically not a lot of events are happening.

This ain't that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Oh well as long as you didn't know your ship would blow up my house.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Welp that's a total of one question I had answered, only I wanted to know WHY his house was destroyed, not just if she knew that would happen.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

confirms that he would have starved to death though

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, I'm amazed he can dress himself, the way this is going.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

His annoyed look in panel 3 runs counter to his established personality

I can understand why he'd be mad, his house was destroyed. I dont understand why the snout as presented thus far gives a poo poo, he doesnt seem to give a poo poo about much

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Welp that's a total of one question I had answered, only I wanted to know WHY his house was destroyed, not just if she knew that would happen.

Indeed. She doesn't need to confine her answers to his single page, yes/no questions, she can clearly write letters in the air, or rearrange ink on the page.

She knows he's Snout, she asked him for questions, and can read, so she doesn't need the huge header to tell her what the list is.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

so i decided, against my better judgment, to go back and look at the comic more closely.

why does her neck extend

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
...Ahh a bunch of yes/no questions, that's certainly a way to address the whole "no conversation" thing.

gently caress it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't believe how much no dialogue is happening in this comic. Just all over the place, so much no dialogue.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't believe how much no dialogue is happening in this comic. Just all over the place, so much no dialogue.

"Would you describe filling out a survey as dialogue? Checkmate. :smug: " - Mookie, probably.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No, but I would describe it as more entertaining than this comic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So it was her ship to begin with. This is so loving stupid.

When the "story" starts, she's crawling half-dead on the wasteland. The ship is just roaming around automatically, then?

The ship then contacts Snouts, betraying that it is piloted by an intelligence capable of asking questions and understanding answers. Is it a magical AI, like the one the Pagefinder spell tried to make Snout believe it had, except it hadn't, it was just the Ink Witch remote-controlling the Pagefinger, but then why couldn't she remote-control the ship too?

The ship blows up Snout's house. This was funny I guess, even if it didn't make much sense.

Then there's some nonsense about pages talking about Dominic Deegan in SUPER LARGE FONT so that it takes five pages to contain two short sentences. Some slapstick with dumb monsters. And then an orc shows up and steal the pages, because obviously everyone would want these stupid pages.

Then the Ink Witch's ship crashes next to Snout, and the Ink Witch emerges unscathed, and she just absorbs the ship's ink back into her robe. Why couldn't she land it gently? How did she separate from her ship in the first place? If the ship has a magical AI, did she just commit murder by crashing it and dispelling it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Mookie has a few 'pet' scenes in his head. You can spot them because they're usually goofy nonsense (like the Ink Witch's missed hug), feature a villain being a smug prick, or they're "sexy." Everything else exists to kludge the story into Mookie's next pet scene as quickly and directly as possible Mookie can manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's still loving hilarious that it blew up his house.