Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

macabresca posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVwcUhxt1k

You want a long version or a short version?

so basically pick fate/zero or fate UBW out of a hat to start with and go from there?

sounds cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The ironic thing about DBZA cutting off at the Buu arc is that I think a motivated editor could chop that poo poo down to seven fifteen minute episodes, tops. It's nearly a hundred episodes long and maybe ten things happen.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 7, 2020

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

macabresca posted:

You want a long version or a short version?

The version that doesn't link to a con artist selling info on mental disabilities to lootbox companies

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's cool how fear of youtube's lovely system destroying their channel for funny parody videos is one of their main reasons to stop

Yeah, it's not surprising. I think that in the time that I've been a subscriber, their DBZA videos have been taken down... three, four times? It's a lot, and I can't imagine how stressful that is.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Yeah, there's a long history of Japanese companies being extremely Not Cool with American attempts at "riffing" on their intellectual properties. (It took years to get home video rights for the Kaiju MST3K episodes, since the producers in Japan apparently weren't aware that they were allowing an American and two puppets to mock their film when they sold the initial broadcast rights) I've got to imagine being responsible for DBZA hasn't... endeared them to a lot of people in the anime industry, especially considering how many people called DBZA the best dub of DBZ. It kind of sucks because they built their entire brand around this one project! Not sure what moving on from it is going to look like for them,

I have heard a rumor that Christopher Sabat has tried to get the TFS guys work at Funimation, but Toei got wind of it and put a stop to it. I don't know how true that is, but it wouldn't shock me if it was, considering Scott's words here:

"Scott "KaiserNeko" Frerichs posted:

4. Our relationships with other companies have been strained by the nature of DBZA.

Fair-use exists in a nebulous area; even though we believe in it wholeheartedly, that doesn't mean there's no trouble between us and the copyright holders, and that tension leaks into the ecosystem in which we look to coexist with other companies. As writers, actors, etc.

We want to ease this tension moving forward.

It also wouldn't shock me if DBZA has prevented sponsorship deals on their channels as well. I suspect their FourStar Bento channel was intended to catch the attention of the likes of Crunchy Roll and others, but when that didn't happen, it wasn't worth the time sink to keep going.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Yeah, there's a long history of Japanese companies being extremely Not Cool with American attempts at "riffing" on their intellectual properties. (It took years to get home video rights for the Kaiju MST3K episodes, since the producers in Japan apparently weren't aware that they were allowing an American and two puppets to mock their film when they sold the initial broadcast rights) I've got to imagine being responsible for DBZA hasn't... endeared them to a lot of people in the anime industry, especially considering how many people called DBZA the best dub of DBZ. It kind of sucks because they built their entire brand around this one project! Not sure what moving on from it is going to look like for them,

Indeed, Shout! Factory had to buy the rights to the Gamera films in total to get the MST rights (which is what they actually wanted anyway) and I don't think Gamera's company renewed said contract after the first time. Toho has always said noho about Godzilla. I don't even think those made it to rerun while on the Comedy Channel.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's not surprising. I think that in the time that I've been a subscriber, their DBZA videos have been taken down... three, four times? It's a lot, and I can't imagine how stressful that is.

Every abridged developer I follow (which is admittedly like two, but are two of the Fate ones) can almost set their watch by the copyright claim that will come in like a day.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

so basically pick fate/zero or fate UBW out of a hat to start with and go from there?

sounds cool

Personally I started on the 2006 F/SN anime and think it's a gentle enough introduction.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The version that doesn't link to a con artist selling info on mental disabilities to lootbox companies

Huh. Didn't know about that. Can you elaborate?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Schwarzwald posted:

The ironic thing about DBZA cutting off at the Buu arc is that I think a motivated editor could chop that poo poo down to seven twenty minute episodes, easy. It's nearly a hundred episodes long and maybe ten things happen.

Its shorter than the Cell and Frieza arcs in the manga too.
Yet weirdly darker what with the systematic genocide taking place.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I think the Saiyan saga is legit the only DBZ saga that doesn't feature systematic genocide

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BigRed0427 posted:

The cinnemasscure crew are covering Jim Carey all month this month and...I'm not looking forward to them talking about Ace Ventura for obvious reasons.

Oh yeah. I remember the first time I tried watching one of their newer videos. It wasn't an avgn episode. It was a video that had a bunch James' friends with them (but they were new guys, they weren't Mike or Bootsy or any of those guys) and one of them said the T slur (iirc) and that was the last time I watched any of Cinnemassacre's non avgn stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A big flaming stink posted:

sounds cool

Fate/Zero is technically a prequel, but it assumes you're familiar with the source material, so start with UBW.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

I think the Saiyan saga is legit the only DBZ saga that doesn't feature systematic genocide

Didn't Nappa wipe out a significant number of people while waiting for Goku to show up?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Didn't Nappa wipe out a significant number of people while waiting for Goku to show up?

im not sure if it was anime only, but he did blow up the entire army

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They also blew up a planet of bugs.

But nobody really cared about bug planet anyway.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Casey Finnigan posted:

I feel like every DBZ arc has some nigh-invincible ultra-powerful enemy showing up and starts wiping out half the population before the z fighters fight them (and half of them die too lol) and Goku beats them and they wish everyone back to life. DBZ is kinda formulaic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phelous starts his look at the Saban Ninja Turtles. It promises to be quite a ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsC3axd4A7w

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I was expecting the anime ninja turtles where they get MUTA STONES and turn into horrific muscley turtlemen power ranger knockoffs, and bebop and rocksteady turn into fist of the north star villains

I completely forgot that other, also nightmarish ninja turtles show existed

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
DBZ didn’t just have three horrible genocides, it had the good guys sitting around and pointedly not doing anything about the genocides.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, it had Vegeta, who did half of those genocides, be their new best friend.

DBZ is weird

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They also blew up a planet of bugs.

But nobody really cared about bug planet anyway.

I wonder if that was undone by the wish on Namek to bring back anyone killed by Frieza and his forces, given Nappa was technically still working for Frieza at the time.

...if it did then it wouldn't bring back the planet, mind you, so I guess they'd just all pop back into existence in the middle of space and die again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, it had Vegeta, who did half of those genocides, be their new best friend.

DBZ is weird

but you see he is to be forgiven because

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Goku died for his sins.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do love that his joining the group was entirely because he was hooked up with Bulma post-Namek.

"Yea sure he killed like five villages of innocent people but he's laying crazy pipe with our friend sooooo"

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It turns out when Death has no meaning, the morality of genocide is less "absolute evil" and more "naughty"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr Christmas posted:

DBZ didn’t just have three horrible genocides, it had the good guys sitting around and pointedly not doing anything about the genocides.

Remember when Piccolo, as a ploy to stall for time, told Buu to go do a genocide, not realizing just how quickly Buu was capable of doing a genocide.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

I do love that his joining the group was entirely because he was hooked up with Bulma post-Namek.

"Yea sure he killed like five villages of innocent people but he's laying crazy pipe with our friend sooooo"

That's called being a good friend

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Augus posted:

Remember when Piccolo, as a ploy to stall for time, told Buu to go do a genocide, not realizing just how quickly Buu was capable of doing a genocide.

it resulted in a cool track so i forgive him

look, fireworks

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Honestly assuming you aren't opposed to books, just getting into the Realta Nua version of the VN is honestly probably best. Or just read the awesome Let's Play by Seorin!

I personally find it fascinating just how much the VN still holds up well even though there are now more than a few good major adaptions by passionate animators. The best adaption currently is honestly probably the Heaven's Feel movies but as a "where to start" that gives you the biggest bang for your buck as to honestly understanding why Fate is genuinely good the VN is honestly best.

I dunno but to me personally some of the VN's/series major set pieces just come off so much better with the long build up that leads up to them.

You could start with the Fate route in the VN, then watch UBW and then the HF movies (3rd one should be available soon) and I think that might be the best compromise. The Fate route's own peculiarities gives some interesting context for UBW and the two together influence HF.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

macabresca posted:

Huh. Didn't know about that. Can you elaborate?

https://goboiano.com/the-short-life-of-flying-colors-foundation/

It doesn't go into everything, and takes a dumb centrist 'we can't say what is good or bad' stance, but it's thorough enough. The original exposing articles are gone now though.

The tldr is though anime yt 'influencers' push survey probing for deep personal information, people look into it and find out the group has a bunch of lootcrate people at the helm, cue furious doubling down followed by backpedaling and eventually shutting down.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel like the best way to get into Fate is similar to the best way to get into crack cocaine: you don't.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Dias posted:

I feel like the best way to get into Fate is similar to the best way to get into crack cocaine: you don't.

They asked how to best get into the series, it's typically good to answer people's questions.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The way people treat Fate like some incomprehensible boogeyman is weird as hell.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I always felt like if you knew the basics of F/SN from wiki or something, you can understand pretty much any piece of Fate media.

But I've also have consumed a lot of Fate stuff over the years so could be I'm wrong.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's a content, a look at Rated K: For Kids By Kids, Nickelodeon's attempt at a Siskel & Ebert-style movie review show, to the point where Siskel & Ebert make a guest appearance. Also the Big Ballot, the practice run for the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GulagDolls posted:

it resulted in a cool track so i forgive him

look, fireworks

The Super Buu theme has no right to be as fun as it is.

Also oh dear lord I watched all of TMNT The Next Mutation when I was young, even then I thought it was dumb.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The way people treat Fate like some incomprehensible boogeyman is weird as hell.

"This red Saber, Nero, looks like the blue Saber, Artoria, but is not to be confused with Saber of Red. This other Saber looks like Artoria but is actually "Saber Alter," colloquially known as "Salter," who happens to look very similar to "Jalter," who is Alter Jeanne, who despite looking like Artoria Saber is actually a Ruler."

Hell, just explaining Moon Cell is enough to turn people's brains off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best way to start Fate is probably FGO due to how ungodly popular it is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Takoluka posted:

"This red Saber, Nero, looks like the blue Saber, Artoria, but is not to be confused with Saber of Red. This other Saber looks like Artoria but is actually "Saber Alter," colloquially known as "Salter," who happens to look very similar to "Jalter," who is Alter Jeanne, who despite looking like Artoria Saber is actually a Ruler."

Hell, just explaining Moon Cell is enough to turn people's brains off.

You don't gotta worry about any of that poo poo though....You don't sell someone on DBZ or w/e by getting extremely in depth on weird stuff that happens 200 episodes in or w/e or explaining all the lore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Archer666 posted:

I always felt like if you knew the basics of F/SN from wiki or something, you can understand pretty much any piece of Fate media.

But I've also have consumed a lot of Fate stuff over the years so could be I'm wrong.

You might get the gist of the plot/premise/setting and some of the lore but I don't think you'd really get things conveyed to why as to why people enjoy the work, such as Shirou's character growth and characterization across the routes or how awesome and caring Rin is; without going through everything. Because otherwise you end up missing a lot of the context that informs laters works.

Ultimately the characters are what really sell things to people and their troubles triumphs and tribulations. I think the Mind of Steel or Sparks Liner High bad endings don't get the hype they get without reading the previous two routes for example.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You don't gotta worry about any of that poo poo though....You don't sell someone on DBZ or w/e by getting extremely in depth on weird stuff that happens 200 episodes in or w/e or explaining all the lore.

In my experience every single passerby to the series without exception encounters stuff like that first and then people have to try to explain things and wires get crossed, it always happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://goboiano.com/the-short-life-of-flying-colors-foundation/

It doesn't go into everything, and takes a dumb centrist 'we can't say what is good or bad' stance, but it's thorough enough. The original exposing articles are gone now though.

The tldr is though anime yt 'influencers' push survey probing for deep personal information, people look into it and find out the group has a bunch of lootcrate people at the helm, cue furious doubling down followed by backpedaling and eventually shutting down.

That's enlightening, thanks