Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mod sassinator posted:

I like Milwaukee's toolbox stool: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-13-in-Jobsite-Work-Tool-Box-MTB1400/205026948 The wirecutter recommended it for around the house tool storage and I've been a fan of using it for the last few years. I dunno if they officially say it's a step stool (I'm sure it's a huge liability), but I step up onto it all the time without issues. As a toolbox it works fine and can easily lug it from room to room. It is kind of a pain as very long tools are hard to fit inside (like a super long flat head screwdriver for prying stuff) but you're going to have that problem with a backpack too. It's also a top loader so there pros and cons to that (harder to see all your tools at once) but overall I like it a lot and having a stool right there has been very handy for lots of little tasks.

That's an interesting option, too.

MRC48B posted:

backpacks are for people who have to go up ladders and through tunnels with their tools. do you need this?

bucket or shoulder bags are better options for everything else.

I often do work at my brother or parent's house, so slinging gear in a backpack would be helpful, but not necessary. I'm still looking at what form factors are out there. I find that just about every job I get into ends up NEEDING every tool I've got. Last week I was replacing a refrigerator water line at my parent's house... the monkeys that replaced their fridge kinked the copper line, then "fixed" it by un-kinking it. So, we replaced it with a braided line.

But to do that, I had to enlarge the hole, which was right up against the baseboard. And I couldn't just drill through the molding, since directly below that was a floor joist... so I had to grab the oscillating tool to cut through the tile and grout on the floor, THEN use the larger drill bit to actually get to the basement. :rolleyes:

So I'm looking for something that will have space for several cordless tools, a bunch of hand tools, and it'd be nice to have a front flap like the backpacks for laser measurers, laser crosshairs, electronic stuff like that.

Does that make sense? Is there something out there that I should be skewing towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd get a pack out kit. Basically, it's a big box on wheels and you buy other boxes that fit on top to suit your needs. I hear Milwaukee's is nice. I've been eyeing a RIDGID one cause I don't have enough use for it to justify Milwaukee prices.

RIDGID Professional Tool Storage Cart And Organizer Stack, 3 Tool Box Combination https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0174NP7JE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_0MkoEb0F98ARV

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Home Depot sells a fabric thing that slides into a 5 gallon bucket and turns it into a tool bucket. Pretty useful around the house and works well if you want to throw it all in the back of the truck.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MRC48B posted:

backpacks are for people who have to go up ladders and through tunnels with their tools. do you need this?

bucket or shoulder bags are better options for everything else.

My welding bag is one of the huge red Husky OTS bags, and boy does that thing get heavy fast if you've got to lug it across a big parking lot or up a couple flights of stairs

I like the idea of a backpack a lot, but even with the bruises on the back of my knee, I don't see a time that a backpack would be superior to any OTS bag unless you've got space concerns where you intend to take your tools, or just have a pretty small amount of gear to hump around

I personally prefer the rolling, stackable boxes, but they're so damned expensive, annoying to transport, and restrictive on space that they would be self defeating for most non-contractors

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Like I said, the main advantage of backpacks over OTS bags is ladders and restrictive tunnels.

the two shoulder straps allow you a more consistent center of gravity as you climb or move.
EDIT: and both hands free

If you don't see those, because you aren't in hvac, electrical, or industrial settings, then think very carefully about buying a backpack.

you can't fit as much in a backpack as you can in a larger OTS, and getting it on/off while fully loaded can be difficult because you have to lift it higher.

FYI: A lot of heating/plumbing parts houses have milwaukee, klein, and veto backpacks on display, if you ask nicely and don't make a mess they will probably let you try loading your tools in and hefting it.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 4, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Mostly for me I use the doctors bag that ce with my Milwaukee drill driver set. I don't like that there isn't organization inside though. I usually just dump everything I think I need in there and carry upstairs or to the junkyard or wherever, then struggle and dig around for the tools.

I have a bucket boss but I don't like to carry it far due to the shape, and no strap. The bag is good for over the shoulder but does end up as a lot of weight on one point, which makes a backpack appealing.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The Husky tool bags/totes are great. Lots of space and compartments but they can get really heavy once you start filling them up. There is one with a handle and wheels so that might be a good option.

The stacking boxes on wheels from Rigid/DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc look good but I wonder just how mobile they are. It'd be nice to be able to organize tools and supplies by task though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

The Husky tool bags/totes are great. Lots of space and compartments but they can get really heavy once you start filling them up. There is one with a handle and wheels so that might be a good option.

The stacking boxes on wheels from Rigid/DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc look good but I wonder just how mobile they are. It'd be nice to be able to organize tools and supplies by task though.

Very mobile*
*As long as you don't have to move the whole thing up and down a set of stairs

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Not quite the same use case as a large backpack or tool bag but I love having a tool belt for jobs around the house. That plus my toolbox takes care of everything I need for a job if I can remember to grab it from my workbench that is*

*large tools like circ saws excepted

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Astonishing Wang posted:

Home Depot sells a fabric thing that slides into a 5 gallon bucket and turns it into a tool bucket. Pretty useful around the house and works well if you want to throw it all in the back of the truck.

I couldn't help but think this was the best option when I saw the Milwaukee stool/glorified bucket thing that only supports up to 200lbs. Made in America, but not for America. :btroll:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
An old shop compressor has come under my care. It seems to work fine right now, but it's doubtful that it's seen any maintenance since the 90's or so. It's a Tamrock FX of some kind, a screw compressor powered by a three phase motor. It pushes a lot of air in relative silence, so I'd like to keep it running if possible. There seems to be at least some parts available from an iffy-looking site (oil separator, inlet air filter and oil filter. The drive belts look like a pair of normal v-belts that could probably be sourced wherever). The question is what type of oil to put in it. The best matching manual I've dug up online isn't super clear to me. It's also translated from Finnish:

Specialty screw compressor oil is hard to find, and expensive. Most of what is available is "food grade" which I don't need or want. An oil change with that stuff is likely to be at least $200 or so if I can even buy it.
A regular hydraulic oil that fulfils either ISO VG 32 or 46 is readily available and an oil change would be like $30. The thing is that I read somewhere that these oils contain a zinc additive that could be a Bad Thing somehow. I don't want a glogged oil separator or worse. I'm ambivalent but leaning towards ISO VG 46 since heavy machinery guys mainly seem to use 32 when it's really cold which won't be an issue.

If you happen to know I'm being dumb and making a mistake please tell me so. If I'm overthinking this I'd like to hear that as well. I don't know much about lubrication and nothing at all about screw compressors.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Just put one of those ISO oils in it, if it's the right viscosity it'll be fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So I found this https://vetopropac.com/product/dr-xl/ and I like it. My wife is a tool enabler and thinks I should get it, but it's a lot of scratch for a tool bag. I looked at Home Depot today and the Husky stuff wasn't bad... still looking for options.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

10W-20??

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

So I found this https://vetopropac.com/product/dr-xl/ and I like it. My wife is a tool enabler and thinks I should get it, but it's a lot of scratch for a tool bag. I looked at Home Depot today and the Husky stuff wasn't bad... still looking for options.

I agree that's far too much! I have this or an older version for my hand tools, and the 12v Milwaukee set came with it's own bag that's a similar size.

I used to to the "stackable tool suitcase" deal but it's just too much for me, a non professional (anymore :( ) to haul around.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

I agree that's far too much! I have this or an older version for my hand tools, and the 12v Milwaukee set came with it's own bag that's a similar size.

I used to to the "stackable tool suitcase" deal but it's just too much for me, a non professional (anymore :( ) to haul around.

Thanks. I ended up in the middle with this https://www.goclc.com/products/Work-Gear-Softside-Tool-Carriers-Bags-Backpacks/1539 $72 on Amazon.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

veto was nice a few years ago when they were pushing the envelope.

then their competitors like clc and klein caught on, and everyone else (milwaukee dewalt fluke) jumped in with products that offered similar features.

also their warranty service has gotten worse over time, I won't be buying another.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Invalido posted:

An old shop compressor has come under my care. It seems to work fine right now, but it's doubtful that it's seen any maintenance since the 90's or so. It's a Tamrock FX of some kind, a screw compressor powered by a three phase motor. It pushes a lot of air in relative silence, so I'd like to keep it running if possible. There seems to be at least some parts available from an iffy-looking site (oil separator, inlet air filter and oil filter. The drive belts look like a pair of normal v-belts that could probably be sourced wherever). The question is what type of oil to put in it. The best matching manual I've dug up online isn't super clear to me. It's also translated from Finnish:

Specialty screw compressor oil is hard to find, and expensive. Most of what is available is "food grade" which I don't need or want. An oil change with that stuff is likely to be at least $200 or so if I can even buy it.
A regular hydraulic oil that fulfils either ISO VG 32 or 46 is readily available and an oil change would be like $30. The thing is that I read somewhere that these oils contain a zinc additive that could be a Bad Thing somehow. I don't want a glogged oil separator or worse. I'm ambivalent but leaning towards ISO VG 46 since heavy machinery guys mainly seem to use 32 when it's really cold which won't be an issue.

If you happen to know I'm being dumb and making a mistake please tell me so. If I'm overthinking this I'd like to hear that as well. I don't know much about lubrication and nothing at all about screw compressors.
Most lubricant manufacturers make iso 32 and 46 true compressor oil. It should be no problem. Go to an industrial supply store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

That looks dope, but I wonder how heavy a fully loaded pack would be.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Invalido posted:

My experience with screw compressors (pneumatic supply for well pumps, oxygen generators, etc.) says use exactly what they specify and nothing else. Gardner Denver tends to be pretty responsive about old stuff - I'd send them an email to figure out what the exact spec is, take it to an industrial supply store, and go from there.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TrueChaos posted:

industrial supply store
Thanks! The magic ticket was googling "industrial oil" in swedish, and a whole range of vendors and products turned up. I think I've found what I need at a reasonable price.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dumb question, driving down the road I noticed a Northern Tool store is opening. Was curious wtf type of stuff it is.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Well I googled it and

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 5, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not all HF quality stuff, they carry Honda and Milwaukee stuff.

https://www.northerntool.com/

Edit: and a lot of other brands, drat.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/shop_brands

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Speaking of HF, I went there last week and they had a big display of Icon brand tools. Is that stuff any good? Say, compared to the Pittsburg Pro line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Speaking of HF, I went there last week and they had a big display of Icon brand tools. Is that stuff any good? Say, compared to the Pittsburg Pro line.

It's their push into higher end stuff according to my local store employees. Walmart is also making a tool push with their HART brand of 20V tools.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I usually describe Northern Tool as "Harbor Freight, but not crap". They have a lot of the same kind of weird stuff as HF, but a bit nicer and a bit more expensive. I have a HF wheel chock cabled to a NT one that was only about a dollar more and is noticably better. They also have some equipment/accessories that you would normally need to go to a power equipment dealership to get. For wrenches/sockets etc I would still just go to HF.

*I haven't lived near a Northern Tool for a couple years so my information might be out of date.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, the new NT is like 5 minutes from my house and it's on the way home. HF is across town and out of my way so I'll be giving NT a try when they open.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bag chat: I have some medium sized CLC bags with flap on the front that are basically my ‘EDC’ when I’m going to a job. They are tough as nails, I’m not a gentle man. I also have a Milwaukee Packout open topped bag and a bunch of the various sizes of packout boxes and they are all great. Prior to packout I used a lot of orange Plano boxes to organize small parts and tools and they are cheap and good. They don’t stack though which is a miss. I also had a Husky 15” or 20” open bag for a long time which was perfectly good, I just wanted to get a packout one so they would all stick together.

My buddy used to carry the big CLC backpack and he loved it but the zipper failed at one point (because he had 50 pounds of tools in it probably). I think he replaced it with the same bag and is still rocking it today.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Everyone wants a piece of that booming tool pie. Shame that the only HF brand power tools I've ever owned were a heat gun that shot sparks and smelled like an electrical fire, and a flux core welder that had no marked settings on its dials or switches and had a ~12% duty cycle on medium power. That poo poo put me off their power tools unless I see someone I respect use them as their primary work tools

On the other hand, I have so many HF clamps, storage boxes, scrapers, and random doo-dads with few moving parts, and I can't get enough of that cheap poo poo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have a Horror Fright $500 TIG/SMAW welder, and it's pretty awesome, good controls, dual voltage, all the components are decent quality and quite rugged, time will tell if it has some fatal flaw, welds pretty good for now though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Haha the HF heat guns are so bad. I think I bought one and was gifted a few and the switches are rated for maybe 50 actions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

RE packout bags, something the Milwaukee can do is they have a solid base which attaches to their storage units so you can just attach those to the bottom. So that's kind of a neat thing if you have any of that stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The Door Frame posted:

Shame that the only HF brand power tools I've ever owned were a heat gun that shot sparks and smelled like an electrical fire, and a flux core welder that had no marked settings on its dials or switches and had a ~12% duty cycle on medium power. That poo poo put me off their power tools unless I see someone I respect use them as their primary work tools
The HF heat gun I got for $10 many years ago is actually one of my favorite tools from them. I know the design has changed (a few times?) over the years though, so maybe more recent versions are significantly less quality. Mine is the kinda chunky lookin' safety-orange colored chicago electric one.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I've had good luck with their Hercules line. I have the 1/2" drill & 7amp angle grinder. My brother has the reciprocating saw. We've only had them about 9-ish months but they've come in handy in tearing up old industrial equipment for scrap. I think the only issue we've had is when we use the reciprocating saw to cut through huge pieces of metal the battery pack can get hot and shut down until it cools.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ready to get started on a bathroom remodel.

Anyone have rental tool recommendations/advice?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Don't rent from C & H in Peoria cause the owner is a racist.

(sorry, just rented a tool there yesterday and the interaction is fresh in my mind)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sorry about that.

Also forgot to mention, taking up 12"/12" tile is the main task.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Big Hilti or Bosch roto-hammer set to hammer only with a big flat tip blade, and a big hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Big Hilti or Bosch roto-hammer set to hammer only with a big flat tip blade, and a big hammer.

:emptyquote:
Unless you want to spend days with a hammer and chisel, a rotary hammer is your best friend