Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

esperterra posted:

I've had autoplay turned off on YT forever. Or do you mean non PC devices?

Thank you! I didn't know you can turn this off and yeah you can turn it off for TVs too!

I also turned auto-play off for netflix which is great because I put it on sometimes when I go to bed and end up streaming all night while I sleep wasting bandwidth. Stupid comcast :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sometimes I fall asleep watching youtube and I get to play a game when I wake up where I hit the back button 10 times and see all the videos that played while I was asleep :shobon:

I don't have bandwidth limits though so its not costly for me or anything, just feels stupid.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

What are some good episodes of TV shows (movies are also okay) where the day is saved thanks unironically to the power of music? I'm thinking stuff like the ep of Chuck where Rush's Tom Sawyer saves the day, or last season's Legends of Tomorrow finale where James Taylor does. Steven Universe doesn't count because the songs just happen alongside events--it's rare that the songs themselves are the solution, and GotG doesn't count because that scene was just a distraction and not particularly tied to music. Preferably something where nobody in the scene winkingly goes "haha this is all so stupid and lame".

I don't have specifics but this is basically everything that Tenacious D has ever done so i'm going to assume it happens in both of their movies.

Don't Bill and Ted also duel with The Devil in one of their movies?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are movies about how music helps people cope with bad situations like Sing Street

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Looten Plunder posted:

I don't have specifics but this is basically everything that Tenacious D has ever done so i'm going to assume it happens in both of their movies.

Don't Bill and Ted also duel with The Devil in one of their movies?

Bill and Ted dueled with Death, not The Devil.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

There are movies about how music helps people cope with bad situations like Sing Street

Sing Street is loving amazing, by the way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, now that Viacom and CBS are one, maybe we'll get Paramount films on All Acc...gently caress

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/viacomcbs-new-streaming-service-to-include-paramount-cbs-all-access.html

quote:

Newly combined ViacomCBS is working on combining media assets for a new streaming service that will build on CBS All Access, according to people familiar with the matter.

While ViacomCBS executives haven’t made any firm decisions, they are considering creating a service with advertisements that will combine CBS All Access with Viacom assets including Pluto TV, Nickelodeon, BET, MTV, Comedy Central and Paramount Pictures, said the people, who asked not to be named because the product discussions are private.

An ad-free version will also be available, and a premium version of the streaming service will include Showtime, the people said. ViacomCBS executives haven’t decided on a name for the service, nor a price, though the base service will probably be less than $10 a month, two of the people said.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Argue posted:

What are some good episodes of TV shows (movies are also okay) where the day is saved thanks unironically to the power of music? I'm thinking stuff like the ep of Chuck where Rush's Tom Sawyer saves the day, or last season's Legends of Tomorrow finale where James Taylor does. Steven Universe doesn't count because the songs just happen alongside events--it's rare that the songs themselves are the solution, and GotG doesn't count because that scene was just a distraction and not particularly tied to music. Preferably something where nobody in the scene winkingly goes "haha this is all so stupid and lame".

About half of Flights of the Conchords.

Six String Samurai?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Six String Samurai?
Not really.

I'm so glad that The Mandalorian used the satan alien race from the cantina scene that appeared because the special effects make up people ran out of time/money and just used something Rick Baker had in his garage.

https://twitter.com/runwithskizzers/status/1190756784685953024?lang=en

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Hey, now that Viacom and CBS are one, maybe we'll get Paramount films on All Acc...gently caress

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/viacomcbs-new-streaming-service-to-include-paramount-cbs-all-access.html

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1225634492900990983?s=21

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Argue posted:

I saw one Futurama case was mentioned, another is "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" wherein the qualifying music is an opera performed in part on a hologrammatic instrument that both plays the melody and projects the costumes, props and set dressing onto the stage.

Also one time the main characters escaped from a giant slug queen's cave/soda factory when their slug friend stayed behind and partied so hard to his surf rock party theme that it literally brought the house down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RIP Slurms McKenzie.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Argue posted:

Justice League Unlimited ep "This Little Piggy".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

I saw one Futurama case was mentioned, another is "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" wherein the qualifying music is an opera performed in part on a hologrammatic instrument that both plays the melody and projects the costumes, props and set dressing onto the stage.

Also one time the main characters escaped from a giant slug queen's cave/soda factory when their slug friend stayed behind and partied so hard to his surf rock party theme that it literally brought the house down.

Also the episode where Hermes has to sort all the bureaucrat stuff in time because he specifically requisitions a beat to give him the right timing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New show from Rob McElhenney/Charlie Day/Megan Ganz hit Apple TV today. First episode was not great but promising!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhyno posted:

RIP Slurms McKenzie.
Yeah, that Slurms sure loved to party. What do you say we all party one last time for him?

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Anyone else watching The New Pope - wtf is going on? Its still beautiful but as of the third episode its become so unfocused I feel like I'm hallucinating. Just Malkovich rambling pseudo-intellectual drivel and posturing on fainting couches for 5 minutes at a time while I try to figure out if the director's making a point or just indulged himself into senility.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s definitely way less focused but I’m still having a fun time with it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vincent posted:

Not really.

I'm so glad that The Mandalorian used the satan alien race from the cantina scene that appeared because the special effects make up people ran out of time/money and just used something Rick Baker had in his garage.

https://twitter.com/runwithskizzers/status/1190756784685953024?lang=en

Didn't they replace those two with more alien aliens in the social special edition?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm assuming that this Viacom thing is going to put the kibosh on at least some of the (literally) 8 Star Trek shows in development, which, even though I probably wouldn't watch any of them based on Kurtzman and Goldsman being involved, would be a shame. I really wanted to see what happens when you just let a ton of people go nuts with an IP at the same time. They've talked about wanting each to be tonally distinct, and being able to have a canon Trek sitcom stand alongside a canon Trek dour drama would be interesting—sort of like when DS9 and Voyager were both on the air but with the contrast turned up to 11

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't they replace those two with more alien aliens in the social special edition?

Yeah, but every Star Wars IP that wants to score nerd points throws in something from an old unused McQuarrie storyboard or cut footage from the pre-SE versions or force powers from the tabletop game. Throwing in Space Satan into your OT-inspired show is functionally indistinguishable from using an original design, but with the added benefit that a bunch of dudes on the internet get to go "oh poo poo, they've re-canonized the [insert wookieepedia search for species name]!" and feel validated about their continued anger toward the thing they hated when they were teenagers.

Honestly, it's far from the worst type of fan service. At this point I'd go so far as to say they should open up the Lucasfilm archives completely to anyone making Star Wars IP so they can mine all the early Starkiller drafts for any remaining gems. It'll be like The Giving Tree, where once they've finally made everybody on the planet sick and tired of Star Wars they can sit and rest on top of George Lucas' corpse to take a breather.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 7, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The funny thing is the prequels that the nerds hate are also jam-packed with stuff mined from the early OT drafts, but go in a different direction with the aesthetics, which shows what sort of references really matter to that set.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has anyone rewatched the Dick Tracy movie? I haven't seen it in years but with that cast and production I wonder if it wasn't underrated

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Has anyone rewatched the Dick Tracy movie? I haven't seen it in years but with that cast and production I wonder if it wasn't underrated

It looks amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ALso brazzers is doing musicals now, it's on youtube but I'm still not embedding it, as a gracious posting service provided by me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvMgOuz-pb0&feature=youtu.be

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Dick Tracy's aesthetics are amazing if nothing else. It was a weird time for Disney between their 80s Touchstone success and the Miramax boom of the 90s so the budget on that thing was out of control without a lot of oversight, between that and the fact that it was the last time period before CGI became common there's never really going to be a movie that looks like it again.

The matte painting in particular are just :discourse:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, that Slurms sure loved to party. What do you say we all party one last time for him?

*wipes a tear* party on Slurms, party on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They bout to do it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm always happy to see Lisa Kudrow but barf to this man.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thanks but I don't want it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well you're going to get it as well as one million internet think pieces and twitter fights about whether Friends was funny/problematic and I'm going to make you read each one of them :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Well you're going to get it as well as one million internet think pieces and twitter fights about whether Friends was funny/problematic and I'm going to make you read each one of them :colbert:

WHY DO YOU HATE US SO MUCH

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Jokes on you! I can't Read!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's funny and problematic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

By "unscripted" does this mean it's going to be them just riffing in-character for an hour, or just the actors talking about the show for an hour? The latter seems a lot more interesting, while also making the cost that much more insane.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does Neo look homeless

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why does Neo look homeless

He goes straight into shooting John Wick 4 after he's done on Matrix 4, so maybe he just didn't want to get a haircut?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The long hair is probably just a lot more flattering on him at this age.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had short hair in Man of Tai Chi just a few years back and looked fine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Why on earth are they making a 4th Matrix movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

Why on earth are they making a 4th Matrix movie?

The Wachowskis want more money and have had a string of bad films??