Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
February Humble Choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ooh, might be the first one I don't skip. Both Frost Punk and Shenzhen I/O are on my wishlist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oh man yeah I can go for Okami again. I 100%ed it on the PS2 like ten years ago, it's so drat good.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Easy pass for me. Frostpunk and Shenzen if that's your thing are good. The rest of it is trash.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah did they ever fix Pathfinder?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heads up, the Hex is on sale for 2.49$ in a bundle on fanatical so don't pick it, it's not worth much

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, this looks good. I can see five or six games there that I'd gladly pay a tenner for separately.

Givin posted:

Easy pass for me. Frostpunk and Shenzen if that's your thing are good. The rest of it is trash.
You take that back, Okami is amazing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've been considering Frostpunk for a while but the setting always makes me second guess, but I figure its time for a try. Underhero, Night Call, and Pathfinder all seem interesting, to a certain degree, and I might as well replay Okami after so long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Eliza is really good (it was my #2 game of 2019)

quote:

#02: Eliza (Zachtronics)
Jam to: Nora's Track (composer Matthew Seiji Burns)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr056rCpQ5E
Though this is a Zachtronics game, it's a visual novel at its core (though it has the solitaire game that is the security blanket in every Zachtronics game). The writing and conversations in this game are impeccable; the characters resonated in a way few pieces of narrative (in any medium) did with me this year.
Iconic moment: Beating the expert mode of Kabufuda Solitaire and realizing I am a galaxy brain genius

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How did you fix the hole in her bucket?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

How many actually good Wild West games are there? All I can think of are that Call of Juarez game and Hard West.

Do Steamworld Dig 1/2 and Steamworld Heist count? Maybe Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath?

There's also Gun which was pretty drat cool when it came out, but it was one of the first post-GTA3 open-world games so I doubt it holds up.

E: Knew I was missing something: Gunman Clive and 12 Is Better Than 6!

EE: Steam's "Western" tag has some interesting looking indies.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 7, 2020

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

StrixNebulosa posted:

thanks guys!

I have mixed feelings on Red Dead Redemption 1 (played it on the xbox) so I'm not ready to pay full price for 2. And West of Loathing isn't my kind of humor, alas.

also before I get judged for the anime, it's a side-scrolling shooter and might be good, who knows, I'm willing to keep an eye on it for a while

In COJ Bound in Blood, you sometimes get an option of who to play between two brothers, and I would recommend always picking the crazy one that can dual wield pistols. That game also had a nice auto cover system if youre crouching behind a box or at a corner. COJ Bound in Blood and Gunslinger are both lots of fun, the first CoJ is a bit old and rough but I still enjoyed it (played it after Bound in Blood).

Deakul posted:

GUN, the proto-Red Dead, was pretty fun back in the day but it hasn't aged gracefully.

It has a really long tutorial and takes some time to really let you go out and do stuff, it's also really finicky with current hardware so it'll probably be unstable and you'll definitely need a widescreen fix.

But, I remember it having pretty decent gunplay and a great atmosphere.

Otherwise, RDR2 is probably the absolute best yeehaw experience you can get on the PC right now and I say that as a pretty drat big Western aficionado.
It just has a learning curve and requires a pretty decent PC... it also sort of has the same issue as GUN with the long tutorial but I thought it was handled a great deal better here just because it felt so Hateful Eight to me that I loved it.

I liked Gun too back in the day and I waffle everytime it goes on sale, but I think it wouldve been hard to go back to even post RDR1. RDR2 is an amazing game but it leans so hard into Cowboy Simulator, in some ways I think the Call of Juarez games are more immediate fun for a western genre game. I replayed Gunslinger a couple years ago, I think i need to play it again.

The devs of Call of Juarez Gunslinger got the publishing rights to it like a year or two ago, and it makes me hope there will someday be a Gunslinger 2.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

StrixNebulosa posted:

How many actually good Wild West games are there? All I can think of are that Call of Juarez game and Hard West.

Go back in time a few decades and try Law of the West or Sierra's Gold Rush.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kennel posted:

February Humble Choice

well, Eliza and Okami make this one worth it, at least. got Underhero from chrono.gg last year and The Hex from that $2.49 Fanatical bundle earlier this week

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah did they ever fix Pathfinder?

It's still buggy but it's infinitely better than it was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is it just "better" or is it actually good now?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eliza was really good but who seriously wouldn't choose to get with the hot lesbian technodance programmer over all the other end options.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Kinda torn on this one, only thing I really want in it Pathfinder which is apparently... not good? Maybe someone who played it could elaborate on it?

e: On topic of Wild West shooters, there's always the grandaddy - Outlaws. No idea how the Steam version runs on modern hardware, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 7, 2020

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
First Monthly I've done since the switch.

Even if Pathfinder is bad I'm sure I'll get £12 out of it. Already have Frostpunk so I dumped the Wolfenstien looking game and know very little about the others. Any gems among them that should be checked out first?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Book of Demons is solid and Okami is, of course, simply excellent and worth every cent you'd pay for the bundle all by itself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Eliza was really good but who seriously wouldn't choose to get with the hot lesbian technodance programmer over all the other end options.

It was one of the things where my "preferred ending" was not in the cards but I am fine with that because that's how literature works. In the last conversation with Nora I indicated that I would be up for "staying over" but for the big choice I chose to go back to work on Eliza. I imagined it as trying to change things from within but you end up just basically being a True Believer. Oh well!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

PlushCow posted:

In COJ Bound in Blood, you sometimes get an option of who to play between two brothers, and I would recommend always picking the crazy one that can dual wield pistols. That game also had a nice auto cover system if youre crouching behind a box or at a corner. COJ Bound in Blood and Gunslinger are both lots of fun, the first CoJ is a bit old and rough but I still enjoyed it (played it after Bound in Blood).

I tried Bound In Blood three years ago and all I got was unskinned yellow models doing T-poses in a dark dimension of nothingness. I don't think that's an universal problem, but keep in mind that game might need some serious ini fiddling to run properly.

As for GUN, it's an open world game with barely anything in it. GTA 3 could stuff plenty in an urban environment, but GUN is mostly plains and wilderness.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 7, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The weirdest thing about Gun was that it had a scalping system that did absolutely nothing. It was probably going to be some kind of bounty system, but whatever intended purpose it had was cut and the action remained, and, IIRC, even had a tutorial snippet.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I scalped everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The weirdest thing about Gun was that it had a scalping system that did absolutely nothing. It was probably going to be some kind of bounty system, but whatever intended purpose it had was cut and the action remained, and, IIRC, even had a tutorial snippet.
It also locked the best shotgun behind the final boss when there was nothing to do anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Givin posted:

aka "i haven't heard of it so it must suck"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The best Wild West game is New Vegas.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

That’s a good Humble Choice lineup but I own too much of it to justify *not* pausing. I’ll still wait until the last day to do so so I get the 20% discount but yeah.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

mcbexx posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be free on EGS from 2/13 - 2/20.

I just tried it on gamepass and free seems about the price it's worth. I gave up after like 2 hours, so maybe it gets better, but it felt like if Crusader Kings 1 and Skyrim had a baby. It's so janky and overly detailed, yet the sheer level of detail probably appeals to some people who'd get really into it. For example, you need to eat and different types of food have different values, but if you eat too much you get over-full and have penalties which might seem realistic but unlike eating IRL you have no feeling of fullness (or a fullness stat ingame) to tell you when you have eaten enough. There's also a perk which gives you extra bonuses if you've eaten the correct amount for several days in a row. If you carry food for too long it rots. Oh, and you can get dirty too and wash to different degrees in anything from a pond to a bath, and your level of cleanliness affects how people react to you OR you can take the manly odour perk which gives you a charisma bonus to ladies when you haven't washed.

Also you can punch a horse to death (horses have glass jaws apparently) in the middle of a village and no one will bat an eye.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The actual obvious stinker in there is Cryofall, which is still in Early Access and appears to be a multiplayer-only MMO-ish survival game which is a great big nope from me.

Otherwise the TD game looks pretty cheap and generic and Pathfinder is....Pathfinder. Everything else looks good.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 7, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

The best Wild West game is New Vegas.

The choice so obvious I never considered it. The intro area is basically The Magnificent Seven one, there’s an escaped chain gang, cowboy guns galore, and Marty Robbins.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I got the bundle for Okami and nine other games
Which ones are the big losers in the bundle?

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Cryofall, pathfinder, and the hex seem to be what everyone is skipping.

Hex because it's in a fanatical pack for 2.50, cryo because it's an mmo. Pathfinder seems like it has technical problems for some and loved by others.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I wish they had a middle tier for choices. I'd do it for 4 games: Eliza, Underhero, Shenzen i/o, Okami. I've played like 2 seconds of Okami and the rest seem good.

Humble, you have failed me once again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I just tried it on gamepass and free seems about the price it's worth. I gave up after like 2 hours, so maybe it gets better, but it felt like if Crusader Kings 1 and Skyrim had a baby. It's so janky and overly detailed, yet the sheer level of detail probably appeals to some people who'd get really into it.

Sounds like some prime eurojank

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I enjoyed pathfinder but 1. it's long 2. the final dungeon is loaded with enemies that have stat-drain spells / abilities so you have to prepare for that or you're going to get hosed. and 3. you can lose party members permanently in the final dungeon if you haven't done their quests correctly

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I played Kingdom Come on Gamepass long enough to get to a like three page long, really smug explanation of how speech checks work that devolved into a terrible fist fight and have had no compulsion to pick it up since

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GrandpaPants posted:

So I got the bundle for Okami and nine other games
Which ones are the big losers in the bundle?

I tried Project Warlock for 15 minutes (2 levels). That's probably too short time to make the final judgement, but so far I'm unimpressed. Basically Wolfenstein 3D with some light rpg elements, lame enemies, levels and weapons. The stuff in the trailer seems a bit better, so I'll probably keep playing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kennel posted:

I tried Project Warlock for 15 minutes (2 levels). That's probably too short time to make the final judgement, but so far I'm unimpressed. Basically Wolfenstein 3D with some light rpg elements, lame enemies, levels and weapons. The stuff in the trailer seems a bit better, so I'll probably keep playing.

I gave it a fair shake and beat it on the second hardest difficulty over the course of 8 hours or so (you can beat it much faster but I took my time with some achievement hunting) and I don’t think I’d recommend it to anybody unless you have a real hankering for Wolf3D-esque orthogonal levels. In the spectrum of classic FPS inspired games like AMID EVIL and DUSK, I wouldn’t rank it too highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
My hot take is the best Red Dead game was Revolver, because you're a cowboy who shoots people and the story is pure spaghetti. Redemption has too many systems that seemed like busy work, and 2 goes even further in that direction.