Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Editor is so frustrating. There's a lot of talent and love for the giallo genre in there, but the filmmakers are too cowardly to make an earnest homage and have to hide behind a layer of lovely irony and humor. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

where's my evil bong CW tv show

The evil bong will now be a sexy teen played by a thirty year old.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Somehow I managed to end up 200 pages behind (???), but I, finally, watched Midsommar--specifically the Director's Cut--and I found myself laughing my rear end off throughout the last 3/4ths of the film instead of being even remotely scared. Can someone catch me up on where the thread landed on the film? I enjoyed it, but not in the same way I enjoy a lot of films that scare the poo poo out of me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Irony.or.Death posted:

Gretel and Hansel is solidly OK. I wish it had been more ambitious, but it's a fairy tale so that's pretty much 100% on me.

I did love the way that it presented eating children and trapping their souls as something like a valid option considering the sheer awfulness of Gretel's other choices (drudgery and/or sexual abuse).

Plus the bit where Krige pulls the blond hair complete with little ribbon out of her mouth will never not be kind of cool.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ThePagey posted:

Somehow I managed to end up 200 pages behind (???), but I, finally, watched Midsommar--specifically the Director's Cut--and I found myself laughing my rear end off throughout the last 3/4ths of the film instead of being even remotely scared. Can someone catch me up on where the thread landed on the film? I enjoyed it, but not in the same way I enjoy a lot of films that scare the poo poo out of me.

It’s intentionally “funny”. In an interview Aster commented on this -
“It’s folk horror, but being given to you with the trajectory of a high-school comedy.”

I liked it a lot, not quite as much as Hereditary but in my top 5 horror films of 2019

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 7, 2020

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So I finally saw Mandy and I certainly did not expect whatever the hell that was. I guess had I realized before the director was the same dude who directed Beyond the Black Rainbow I would've been a bit less surprised (as they definitely share some similarities in feel). It's like Beyond the Black Rainbow melded 50% with Twin Peaks and 50% with Heavy Metal comics. It gives a genuine sense of having a fever dream, or being somehow drunk/high/possibly going crazy. It's a revenge thriller in much the same way Apocalypse Now was a movie about a guy taking a trip on a river boat. I see why it gets so much praise here and in other places, and I'm dying to watch it again when I can show it to other folks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm taking a sick day off work today, post some recommendations

I'm watching Maniac right now, and I think uhhhh Megan is Missing is up next but I've heard that's just bad and not in a good way

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

I'm taking a sick day off work today, post some recommendations

I'm watching Maniac right now, and I think uhhhh Megan is Missing is up next but I've heard that's just bad and not in a good way

Please don't waste part of a day off on Megan is Missing.

Have you seen Tammy and the T-Rex yet? What about Night of the Comet?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

COOL CORN posted:

Megan is Missing is up next but I've heard that's just bad and not in a good way
Yeah, it just sucks. It tries to be a satirical feminist take on the genre, but that just manifests as an unwatchable gimmick: the whole thing's filmed on a phone to emphasize that women are "in a box." And the serial killer puts women in boxes. And it ends with a rape scene that goes out of its way to be gross. Just don't.

If you wanna see women get chopped up, watch some Bava or Fulci. They know how to set a scene and hold a camera.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Please don't waste part of a day off on Megan is Missing.

Have you seen Tammy and the T-Rex yet? What about Night of the Comet?

I'd just heard it was a really hard watch, which usually I'm into, but if it's legitimately bad I won't bother.

I haven't seen either! I'll watch em!

Maniac is good as hell so far, the 1st person POV makes me very uncomfortable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

I'd just heard it was a really hard watch, which usually I'm into, but if it's legitimately bad I won't bother.

I guarantee that if you watch Tammy and the T Rex instead of Megan is Missing you will thank me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

The POV made New Zealand so uncomfortable they banned it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I guarantee that if you watch Tammy and the T Rex instead of Megan is Missing literally anything you will thank me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Put it this way, Megan is missing is supposed to be a found footage movie, yet during a party scene you can clearly see a giant boom mic shadow a few times.

:thunk:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Tammy and the T-Rex is a pro move if you're feeling like poo poo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I guarantee that if you watch Tammy and the T Rex instead of Megan is Missing you will thank me.

Strong second. I would argue that there's very few things you could watch in place of MiM and it wouldn't be a wholesale improvement.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Put it this way, Megan is missing is supposed to be a found footage movie, yet during a party scene you can clearly see a giant boom mic shadow a few times.

:thunk:

Look at this square, never been to a boom-boom mic-room party before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All my parties are boom mic parties

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

All my parties are boom mic parties

Who doesn't have a boom mic? :confused:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yeah, how else are you going to get good audio from your parties?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The first 15 minutes or so of Tammy and the T-Rex are so perfect because it's like a light high school comedy and then you blink and all the sudden Paul Walker is graphically having is entire scalp pulled down over his face so they can extract his brain. Bizarre in the best way possible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Holy poo poo, Maniac was good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The copy of Tammy I watched is the PG-13 version, I just found out after they got to the brain transplant scene and I didn't see anything happen :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

The copy of Tammy I watched is the PG-13 version, I just found out after they got to the brain transplant scene and I didn't see anything happen :(

The version on Shudder is the one you want.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

COOL CORN posted:

Holy poo poo, Maniac was good.

hell yea it is. maybe I should rewatch that and then Come to Daddy :woop:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

COOL CORN posted:

The two cuts of Tammy have different title cards. You can tell if you have the right cut if the title card is yellow text on a black screen reading, "Tanny and the Teenage T-Rex."

Yes, Tanny. With two N's.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant imagine the PG-13 version is a decent movie. The whole absurd charm of the movie comes from the ridiculous gore. It's such a fun movie, just pure dumb delightful sugary movie candy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

The whole absurd charm of the movie comes from the ridiculous gore.

also I assume the jokes about Tammy loving the robot dinosaur are not in the edited version

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

i cant imagine the PG-13 version is a decent movie. The whole absurd charm of the movie comes from the ridiculous gore. It's such a fun movie, just pure dumb delightful sugary movie candy.

Yea it would still be a weird movie that might be worth a watch but it would be borderline. The gore is what gives you the ridiculous contrast of the sweet high school romance story and the marauding T-Rex slaughtering countless people.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Nth-ing the recommendations for Tammy and the T-Rex.

Watched it on Shudder based off a handful of gifs I saw posted online. Thoroughly enjoyed this insane, gore filled, way too horny high school romantic comedy.

I kind of want to see the PG-13 version just to see how they edit around that stuff. Like does that one dude still get flattened and rolled up like a rug? If not, is that whole conversation between the scientists removed? Does the weird scientist that gets his head bit off just disappear from the PG-13 version?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

uk i kinda wondered about that too like how does the PG-13 version even make sense as a movie with so much stuff cut

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve only ever seen the USA Network cut so, very little sense

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As some one who grew up with this movie

Boy, is it weird

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Having seen neither, which should I watch tonight? Midsommar or Hereditary?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Depends on whether you feel alienated from society or suffocated by your family.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Depends on whether you feel alienated from society or suffocated by your family.

Alternatively, it depends on whether you feel like everyone is out to get you, or that everyone is out to “get” you.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Halloween Jack posted:

What if I don't feel either? Flip a coin?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm gonna say that Hereditary is the most creepy and bone-chilling, whereas Midsommar is crazy and gory and fun. What are your favourite horror movies? Mine is The Wicker Man, so of course I'm going to lean Midsommar.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
yeah Hereditary nearly gave me a panic attack the first time I saw it, Midsommar is "lighter" in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hereditary feels like a Friday night movie.

Midsommar feels like a Sunday afternoon movie.