Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

so i decided, against my better judgment, to go back and look at the comic more closely.

why does her neck extend
Mating display. Mookie's already limbering up his forearm to draw some more extremely tasteful and artistic full front nudity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Cat Mattress posted:

So it was her ship to begin with. This is so loving stupid.

This comic is so much worse than I could ever have expected.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: a new generation of people reading it and saying

Joe Slowboat posted:

This comic is so much worse than I could ever have expected.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What will happen first, another Mavple Syrup or another Jazz Hands? Also, why does Google keyboard know the word Mavple?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Invisible Clergy posted:

"Would you describe filling out a survey as dialogue? Checkmate. :smug: " - Mookie, probably.

I actually would, though

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RandomPauI posted:

Also, why does Google keyboard know the word Mavple?

I don't know, a true deeganologist should know it's "mavpel".

Looking that up also brought back this beauty. Lots of edits were made just pasting Dominic's face on other things.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 7, 2020

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Oh, Milov. I remember that name! Wasn't that the guy who destroyed a human church and mauled his girlfriend's face off all because she cheated on him, but it's okay because actually it was just a magical clone (even though he didn't know that) and the real Jayden is fine? And then her story of atoning via religion was hijacked by another dude who kept changing his story about why he killed his own mother?

I actually wonder how Mookie would handle the same plotlines today, or if he'd even do them at all. I want to give the benefit of the doubt and hope he's improved in some way, and at the very least he won't write anything like the Stonewater and Melna arc again. I want to hope that there is even a spark of self-awareness and he wouldn't stoop that low again. But I'm not hopeful that Legacy won't have some other bullshit that's more on the level of Jayden's storylines.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 7, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well one of us could just read Star Power and see what his writing is like now

lol no one will

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know, a true deeganologist should know it's "mavpel".

Looking that up also brought back this beauty. Lots of edits were made just pasting Dominic's face on other things.

I forgot so many bad things about the original. It's all coming back.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cat Mattress posted:

Lots of edits were made just pasting Dominic's face on other things.

Please share.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

I want to give the benefit of the doubt and hope he's improved in some way

Ah, welcome to the Dominic Deegan Legacy thread, you must be new here.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Who What Now posted:

I actually would, though

Of course you would, because, unlike Mookie, the bulk of your diet is not made up of lead-based paint.

MiracleFlare posted:

Oh, Milov. I remember that name! Wasn't that the guy who destroyed a human church and mauled his girlfriend's face off all because she cheated on him, but it's okay because actually it was just a magical clone (even though he didn't know that) and the real Jayden is fine? And then her story of atoning via religion was hijacked by another dude who kept changing his story about why he killed his own mother?

I actually wonder how Mookie would handle the same plotlines today, or if he'd even do them at all. I want to give the benefit of the doubt and hope he's improved in some way, and at the very least he won't write anything like the Stonewater and Melna arc again. I want to hope that there is even a spark of self-awareness and he wouldn't stoop that low again. But I'm not hopeful that Legacy won't have some other bullshit that's more on the level of Jayden's storylines.

Yes, that's correct. She was seduced by FILTHY JOCK Siegfried as part of Mookie's campaign to assassinate his character after his death when he learned some of his fans liked him more than Dominic.

Jayden was indeed one of the Lunarian priestesses and went on a fetch quest to Eldariat to Die. Soon after setting off, she ran into Stunt on the bus and since Mookie's a misogynistic shithead, Stunt immediately hijacked the story, yes.

A long time before Stunt's arc in the desert, he mentioned in passing that he murdered his mother by his own hand by "cutting her nasty throat" with that little knife he always carries around. In the Eldariat to die arc, he explains that he actually found his mother (who was being abused by his father) cheating with a woman, Lizzie the lezzie. He attacked Lizzie with a small knife but slipped on a banana peel and murdered his own mother on accident, forcing him to flee the scene and become a low level mob for Dominic to beat up for xp at the beginning of the comic.

Jayden fulfilled her quest in Eldariat to Die when she was killed by a random encounter (1d4 giant scarab beetles) but was uneventfully rezd by a phoenix down a few seconds later. In the process of doing so, she discovered some relic of Luana's (a necklace or ring or some garbage) and, despite being a priestess of Luana's religion, rather than inter it in a temple or museum, gave it to Stunt and he later gave it to Dominic, who either used it as a plot coupon to do some magical horseshit or forgot about it entirely (50/50)

Mookie is absolutely going to tackle "edgy" material like this sooner or later (later due to the snail's pace Legacy is moving at.) You would think that any normal person would improve at a task after doing it for 20 years, but this is Mookie we're talking about. As has been evidenced by the comics posted, he has demonstrably gotten much worse as time has gone on, not just with art, but with writing as well. When he does reveal that the orc who was trying to steal the pages is Stonewater who has magically extended his life through rape-powered rituals or whatever, imagine that it is somehow handled even more ineptly than last time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The worst part is that I know you’re not exaggerating a single word of that.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

The worst part is that I know you’re not exaggerating a single word of that.

I regret to inform you that you are correct.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

Please share.

What, the edits? They were on Photobucket and Imageshack, they're gone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

What, the edits? They were on Photobucket and Imageshack, they're gone.
:negative:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I saved a couple locally on my old computer (and made a few of my own) I'll post them if I can dig it out of storage.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Doesn't deserve pages that...he wrote??? It feels kinda weird and sinister to steal something as innocuous as research from someone.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He didnt write them, they belong to him. Presumably he purchased them using legal tender and the ink witches are thieves

A lot of this info would've benefited from having any real set up but at least the story feels like it has something resembling actual meat to it now

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad the ink witch is showing off her powers by making ink spin and swirl around her body while she casts a spell that performs the same function snout's pen would've

I'm sure there's something visually creative that could've been done to have her answer his questions by writing the words in the air instead of on the page

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Well, at least the orc isn't Stonewater.

Of course her magic backfired. Magic doesn't work properly in the mild edge. That's why people avoid going there. A magic user would've fled from Arudak in a different direction.

The real answer is that Mookie makes the comic up as he goes along, but even entertaining a Watsonian pov for a second, how does inkwich pretending to be someone else keep Snout safe?

1) inkwich tells him to do the fetch quest and collect Arudak's pages, making Snout cross paths with him and leading Arudak to attack him

2) the pagefinder (pretending it's something else) tells him to do the same thing leading to the same consequences

Oh my god Mookie can't go one second without crowing about how great Deegan is. Why would Snout think she knows this?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We're finally getting answers and it's somehow even more dull than when there wasn't any plot.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Arudak apparently nearly murdered the Ink Witch when hunting for his pages. (Alternatively, she hurt herself when her magic backfired)

Arudak gave Snout a page when he asked, followed Snout home, put him to sleep, and took his pages back. And Arudak knew the Ink Witch was working with Snout through the pagefinder when he did this.

Arudak seems to be trying to limit the bystander bloodshed in this conflict.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

This is genuinely terrible, I'm in pain. Why in the gently caress does anyone care about what happened to Dom Deegs 200 years ago? If she was stealing the... I'll be generous and say three full paragraphs of the document? Why didn't she just read the three paragraphs and leave behind the paper?

Books can be read and then recreated from the information within. And this isn't a book, it's a loving pamphlet.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

We're finally getting answers and it's somehow even more dull than when there wasn't any plot.

Right, because Mookie's just having us check his homework instead of telling a story.

While we're on this, I know it's kind of low hanging fruit, but 80% of today's comic is dialogue text in this dialogue-free comic, and the art underneath it is entirely superfluous.

Why are these questions being answered in complete sentences? It only draws more attention to the fact that last comic's weren't.

Why did he label the page "long form answers" ?

It might be late to complain about this but I will anyway: why does inkwich's handwriting look the same as Snout's? I know it's clear in this comic who's talking communicating, but since this is the dodge for not having dialogue, I'm foreseeing this becoming an issue very soon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is it weird that I'm genuinely excited for the explanation? I really want to see how Mookie tries to justify this bullshit.

I regret everything

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I regret everything

It happens.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Invisible Clergy posted:

It might be late to complain about this but I will anyway: why does inkwich's handwriting look the same as Snout's? I know it's clear in this comic who's talking communicating, but since this is the dodge for not having dialogue, I'm foreseeing this becoming an issue very soon.

He's using different MS Paint pen tools I think? Snout has slightly scratchier lines, or else I'm imagining it, like he's writing with a pen while she's writing with a brush. Barely. Otherwise they are identical.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
This page is doing me. All these answers and none of them click into place. Not even an "Oh, I guess that makes sense" just, nonsense.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

He's using different MS Paint pen tools I think? Snout has slightly scratchier lines, or else I'm imagining it, like he's writing with a pen while she's writing with a brush. Barely. Otherwise they are identical.

(squint)

If you say so. The point is without the formatting, I don't think you could tell them apart. It's such an obvious way to differentiate voice and even plays to his strengths. I think he's still hand-lettering these? I looked at the crossbar on the Hs and they don't all look identical within a character's lines. Mookie never misses a chance to disappoint.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The worst part is how easy this would be to re-frame in an interesting, text-light way. Show a flashback of her stealing the notes! Show her escaping into the Wild Edge! Show Alduak or whatever mistreating people in his search for the pages!

But nope, our wordless comic gotta have a written q&a session

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Show, don't tell! That's why I'm showing the page! I'm a genius."

- Mookie, probably.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Invisible Clergy posted:

(squint)

If you say so. The point is without the formatting, I don't think you could tell them apart. It's such an obvious way to differentiate voice and even plays to his strengths. I think he's still hand-lettering these? I looked at the crossbar on the Hs and they don't all look identical within a character's lines. Mookie never misses a chance to disappoint.

Yeah, I wasn't defending him. If he thinks 'identical handwriting and ALMOST identical implement' is a visible difference, he's not just an idiot and a hack, he's a smug idiot and a hack.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What an impressively uninspired infodump.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah, I wasn't defending him. If he thinks 'identical handwriting and ALMOST identical implement' is a visible difference, he's not just an idiot and a hack, he's a smug idiot and a hack.
Oh, please excuse me. I didn't mean to imply you were. I just meant I'm viewing on mobile so can't really notice differences. If you saw some, I was deferring to you.

Well, Mookie being a smug multiclassed idiot-hack is well established, given his self-aggrandizing essays on having nothing happen and drawing peepees.

skeleton warrior posted:

The worst part is how easy this would be to re-frame in an interesting, text-light way. Show a flashback of her stealing the notes! Show her escaping into the Wild Edge! Show Alduak or whatever mistreating people in his search for the pages!

But nope, our wordless comic gotta have a written q&a session
I agree with you. The original comic would at times cut away to other povs. Cutting to hearing characters would be a fairly natural way to dodge the "no-dialogue" gimmick when Mookie got bored with it, so in inkwich's memory she might talk a little bit while stealing the pages.

TheHan posted:

Doesn't deserve pages that...he wrote??? It feels kinda weird and sinister to steal something as innocuous as research from someone.
If this comic were good, this might be touched on in literally any way at all. Like in the flashback, we would just see inkwich stealing some pages while Acererak was asleep and not doing anything particularly lovely, so we might wonder who the good guy is, since after all, 99% of orcs are saintly pacifistic vegetarians. Or we could deal with inkwich and Adulation being rival academics who're squabbling over publication credit or academic citations. But I know we're not getting that.

PMush Perfect posted:

"Show, don't tell! That's why I'm showing the page! I'm a genius."

- Mookie, probably.

I'm glad this format is catching on. Well done.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My only real disappointment is that I haven't gotten closer to bingo in a while.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

My only real disappointment is that I haven't gotten closer to bingo in a while.

Were there bingo sheets in the old threads? I forget.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I made a bingo card.

No, but I made one for Legacy.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Is this what this comics going to be then? Long periods of confusing actions and events, with some short words. Then a few pages of either journal or "Question and Answer, the plot" time. I think I'd prefer if the characters just talked to each other.

But hurrah, we know some of what's happening now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I've never seen a story that's written like a wikipedia plot summary before.