Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FordCQC posted:

Having seen neither, which should I watch tonight? Midsommar or Hereditary?

Hereditary is a good movie. Not my horror cup of tea but it's extremely well made, has some great horror moments and the performances are excellent. I'm not a big "A24orror" guy but I enjoyed Hereditary.

Midsommar I didn't really like. I don't think Florence Pugh was a good enough actress to hold the movie up, it drags because it's long as hell and nothing interesting happens. The cult's activities are never explained, it's never explained what they're about or why they do the things they do so the entire movie is just them doing weird poo poo and the Americans going WOOOAAAHH DUDE THAT WASN'T COOL".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I love Hereditary but thought that Midsommar was a safer and more derivative film made by a young talent who was perhaps scared to experiment and take risks with a bigger budget.

e: The psilocybin scenes are really, really well done and very accurate to the actual effects of a trip. It's probably the closest depiction I've ever seen on film to be honest.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 7, 2020

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm gonna say that Hereditary is the most creepy and bone-chilling, whereas Midsommar is crazy and gory and fun. What are your favourite horror movies? Mine is The Wicker Man, so of course I'm going to lean Midsommar.

The Thing is my #1 favorite. I like a lot of horror-adjacent stuff just as much too like Frailty and Ravenous. We could round out a list with Event Horizon, Halloween 2018, and It Chapter 1.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If I didn't know, I would've thought Midsommar would've been made before Hereditary just because it's such a step down in quality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

If I didn't know, I would've thought Midsommar would've been made before Hereditary just because it's such a step down in quality.

It's the difficult sophomore album of horror, then?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

FordCQC posted:

The Thing is my #1 favorite. I like a lot of horror-adjacent stuff just as much too like Frailty and Ravenous. We could round out a list with Event Horizon, Halloween 2018, and It Chapter 1.
In that case I would go with Hereditary, definitely.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's the difficult sophomore album of horror, then?

actually thats a perfect metaphor, hopefully his next movie will be a return to good form

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

this has me thinking, name your top THREE horror DIRECTORS

1. Rob Zombie
2. Lucio Fulci
3. Stuart Gordon

Honestly Stuart might get replaced with Roger Corman

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'll admit to preferring Midsommar to Hereditary overall, but calling Florence Pugh's performance one of the film's weakpoints is hard for me to understand. I thought she was fantastic and worth watching for her alone.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Might just be a personal preference tbh. I didn't think any of the performances in Midsommar were particularly good to be fair.

ESPECIALLY compared to Toni Collette's powerhouse performance in Hereditary (and honestly Hereditary was the opposite of Midsommar, the whole cast was EXCELLENT)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
1. John
2. Carpenter
3. gently caress You

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don’t know, that’s really hard actually. Mine seem really basic but it’s what’s in my heart:

1. Carpenter
2. Cronenberg
3. Raimi

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Midsommar is fantastic, not quite as good as Hereditary but that's a very high bar. It was my fourth favorite horror film of last year behind Knife+Heart, Climax, and The Lighthouse.

Kvlt! posted:

this has me thinking, name your top THREE horror DIRECTORS

1. Rob Zombie
2. Lucio Fulci
3. Stuart Gordon

Honestly Stuart might get replaced with Roger Corman

that's easy:

1. James Wan
2. Mike Flanagan
3. whoever did Annabelle

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

Midsommar is fantastic, not quite as good as Hereditary but that's a very high bar. It was my fourth favorite horror film of last year behind Knife+Heart, Climax, and The Lighthouse.

that's easy:

1. James Wan
2. Mike Flanagan
3. whoever did Annabelle

You said fourth fav horror movie of the year, but only mentioned three horror movies?

Surely you don't think The Lighthouse is a horror movie as opposed to the black comedy it truly is, because only a POSER would think that.

(SIDEBAR: Knife + Heart and Climax were two of my favs too)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

that's easy:

1. James Wan
2. Mike Flanagan
3. whoever did Annabelle

Thought about saying this, but if you want to troll this thread I think the third one should be Joss Whedon. It works on multiple levels.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kvlt! posted:

Might just be a personal preference tbh. I didn't think any of the performances in Midsommar were particularly good to be fair.

ESPECIALLY compared to Toni Collette's powerhouse performance in Hereditary (and honestly Hereditary was the opposite of Midsommar, the whole cast was EXCELLENT)

I agree I thought the acting in Hereditary was a step above Midsommar as a whole. Although I think people are throwing a bit more shade it's way than warranted, it's a really pretty looking movie.

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know, that’s really hard actually. Mine seem really basic but it’s what’s in my heart:

1. Carpenter
2. Cronenberg
3. Raimi

That's basically mine only replace Raimi with Gordon. I also think it's a hard list to argue with qualitatively (unless you consider Hitchcock a horror director).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
1. Carpenter
2. Bava
3. Gordon
4. Fisher
5. Argento
6. Cronenberg
7. Corman
8. Fulci
9. Zombie
10. Hooper

My wildcard is Hitchcock because I don't really know where to rank him. I love Psycho, but most of my other favorite films of his aren't horror, like The Trouble With Harry and Foreign Correspondent. And as much as I'm a strong supporter of Rob Zombie, he only makes my top-3 list when we're talking about living/active directors.

Edit: and yes I'm aware I left Craven off. Deal with it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 7, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

James Wan is a great director stuck with mediocre scripts.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

You said fourth fav horror movie of the year, but only mentioned three horror movies?

Surely you don't think The Lighthouse is a horror movie as opposed to the black comedy it truly is, because only a POSER would think that.

(SIDEBAR: Knife + Heart and Climax were two of my favs too)

it's both black comedy AND horror. I agree leans more towards comedy but I don't think it's wrong to count it as horror as well.

Drunkboxer posted:

Thought about saying this, but if you want to troll this thread I think the third one should be Joss Whedon. It works on multiple levels.

you're right that would've been better.

real top 3:

1. John Carpenter
2. Stuart Gordon
3. Terence Fisher

Alhazred posted:

James Wan is a great director stuck with mediocre scripts.

yeah I agree, and I actually like Flanagan a lot, I was just trying to rile up Kvlt!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
1. David Cronenberg
2. Kiyoshi Kurosawa
3. Koji Shiraishi

Almost went with Romero for #3, but couldn't keep pushing The Dark Half out of my mind.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

1. James Whale
2. John Carpenter
3. George Romero

Honorable mentions to Sam Raimi, Rob Zombie and Frank Henenlotter

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Romero for me just isn't a top guy overall, as much as Night of the Living Dead casts a shadow over the entire genre. I never really find myself in the mood to watch a Romero film other than the original Dead trilogy.

The usual Mount Rushmore of American horror directors is always kinda off for me because I just don't really love Craven or Romero.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

The cult's activities are never explained, it's never explained what they're about or why they do the things they do so the entire movie is just them doing weird poo poo and the Americans going WOOOAAAHH DUDE THAT WASN'T COOL".

It's Midsommar. The solstice.

This is just the sort of shenanigans we Nordics get up to at that time again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Romero for me just isn't a top guy overall, as much as Night of the Living Dead casts a shadow over the entire genre. I never really find myself in the mood to watch a Romero film other than the original Dead trilogy.

The usual Mount Rushmore of American horror directors is always kinda off for me because I just don't really love Craven or Romero.

I feel the same about Craven and it always makes me feel guilty a little because he’s so universally loved by genre fans. I still love a few of his movies though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I feel the same about Craven and it always makes me feel guilty a little because he’s so universally loved by genre fans. I still love a few of his movies though.

Oh yea I mean the guy was just too prolific to not love a few of them. The People Under the Stairs is fantastic but most of his stuff falls into the "enjoyed it but didn't love it" category for me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

1. George A. Romero
2. Lucio Fulci
3. John Carpenter

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Carpenter
Romero
Cronenberg

easy peasy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Takashi Miike belongs somewhere in my top 3 but I don't know where.

Ok my new top 3 is

1. Rob Zombie
2. Lucio Fulci
3. Takashi Miike

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Corman
Whales
Carpenter

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Holy poo poo Truth or Die can loving eat a bag of dicks. What a garbage, hateful, awful movie. Also one of the most despicable endings I've seen in a long time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Miike is definitely worthy of a spot but he's made a 100+ films and only a small portion of them are horror. I've heard that in Japan he's even better known for his crime films than his horror stuff.

Which raises the question of whether he's a horror director.

Is Robert Altman a horror director because he made Images?
Is Kathryn Bigelow a horror director for Near Dark?
Is any director who has made a horror film a horror director or does it need to be their main thing?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Miike is definitely worthy of a spot but he's made a 100+ films and only a small portion of them are horror. I've heard that in Japan he's even better known for his crime films than his horror stuff.

Is Robert Altman a horror director because he made Images?
Is Kathryn Bigelow a horror director for Near Dark?
Is any director who has made a horror film a horror director or does it need to be their main thing?

Or better yet Friedkin, who made one of the most praised horror movies of all time but refuses to call it horror

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I agree he's not top 3 material but really you never feel like watching Martin? It's so good.

e: gently caress top 3 is really hard, I'm gonna say

1. Cronenberg
2. Miike
3. Soavi

but it loving kills me to only have one of the Italian crew there

e2: I can't believe I forgot Gordon, he gets Miike's spot if we say Miike doesn't count.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 7, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've heard that in Japan he's even better known for his crime films than his horror stuff.

Hell, it raises the question of whether he's secretly Italian.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dorium posted:

Carpenter
Romero
Cronenberg

easy peasy.

Same but I’d list them Carpenter Cronenberg Romero so I can abbreviate it to CCR.

It’s crazy that Romero isn’t on more lists. The Dead trilogy can’t be beat, and even if you remove them from his filmography, you still have Martin, The Crazies, and Creepshow, and that’s not even touching his really out there stuff like Knightriders and Season of the Witch.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Halloween Jack posted:

Hell, it raises the question of whether he's secretly Italian.

Japan was Italy all along.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

uk i kinda wondered about that too like how does the PG-13 version even make sense as a movie with so much stuff cut

As someone who grew up watching the TV edited version, it's totally nonsensical.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

I agree he's not top 3 material but really you never feel like watching Martin? It's so good.

Not really. It's undeniably good but I've never felt much of a draw to rewatch it.

Creepshow is probably enough along with the Dead movies to put him on the list though. For some reason I always forget he directed that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Or better yet Friedkin, who made one of the most praised horror movies of all time but refuses to call it horror

Cronenberg’s last few movies were more psychological horror than the body horror he was famous for. Carpenter even remarked upon it in a more recent interview, talking about how Cronenberg used to be considered a horror director but now he’s considered more prestige after History of Violence and Eastern Promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

It's a loving crime to not include Corman and I'm sentencing you all to posting jail now hit the showers.